Resistance

Resistance

A Chapter by Damac
"

Andrew and Uplift's District Leader have a little talk

"

“Being in control, does not always mean you are in control”


The man stood up and walked over to look out the large window behind his seat. “I assume your the one they are looking for, Andrew. You and your friends have caused a lot of trouble for the empire.”

“The Congress to.” Andrew responded.

“Yes, quite.” The District Leader said, scratching his short gray beard, “What is stopping me from turning you over to the empire right now? It would be no trouble at all for me.”

“Because you turn me over, you’ll never get the Empire out of this place, and that’s what you want right? To be independent? To not be ruled by Quinn and his army by force?”

“You have been in Uplift what? 5, 10 minutes? You can’t just go around making assumptions and trying to start a revolution! There is no point in that!” The District Leader said, raising his voice.

“But there is a point! You don’t want to be under the Empires control, I can help you stop that!” Andrew said, matching his volume.

“All you are doing is inciting trouble that I don’t want! If the empire wants control of this town they can f*****g have it!” The DL shouted at Andrew. Andrew slumped back into the chair.

“You know i’ve been to Redemption Point...” Andrew began to say.

“The Empire’s capital?” 

“Yes, I was there with my brother before... all of this crazy s**t happened. You know what they do there right?”

“No, what?”

“The way they build their mutant army there. Horrible test experiments, some of the most grotesque and inhumane things i’ve ever seen in the wasteland. They take children, and mutate them with different serums.”

“That’s how they do it? Why hasn’t this been brought up before?”

“Children are all orphans, or at least the empire makes them orphans, ones no one would miss if they disappeared. They take them and do all sorts of different tests on them, change their size, shape, strength, number of arms, legs, skin texture, eyesight, etc. Anything you can think of, they do there. All to try and breed the ‘Perfect Soldier’.” Andrew said, the DL sat in stunned silence. “There is one thing they all have in common though.”

“And what is that?”

“The Empire knocks their smarts right down the crapper. Makes them easier to control that way.”

“Why are you telling me this... and why should I believe you?” The DL said.

Andrew stood up, and hung over him, “The Empire gets their test subjects from every settlement under their control. Now you don’t have to believe me, but look me in the eyes, and tell me you are 100% willing to sit idly by while the empire takes over your town, kills your citizens, and takes their children to be turned into grotesque mutant soldiers, who will be sent out onto the battlefield, simply as bullet magnets for the actual human soldiers. Tell me you are okay with that, and I will walk out that door and never come back here.” Andrew finished, looking deep into the DL’s eyes.

“I’m... not okay with that.”

“Good, because we have work to do.” Andrew said, smiling. “Whats your name?” He said, sticking out his hand.

“Abraham...” The DL said, grabbing the hand and shaking it.

“Well Abraham, it’s a pleasure meeting you. I think you better start preparing yourself for a fight. The Empires on it’s way, and we don’t have long to prepare.”

“I’m still not happy with this...” Abraham said.

Andrew looked at him, puzzled, had he not just agreed to fight? “Can you do something for me?” Andrew asked.

“What?”

“Touch this.” Andrew said, holding out the locket to Abraham. Abraham looked at him confused, but never the less, complied.


Andrew felt the same compression feeling he felt last time he activated the locket. The world went dark for a second, and then re-built itself around Andrew. At first he was confused where he was, but soon he realized he stood at the top of uplifts cliff edge.

“Abraham! The Empire is approaching the main gates!” He heard a voice say to his right. Andrew turned and faced a young man, around 30, balled but with a big, bushy, black beard.

“Have the men assemble at the gates, I don’t want Uplift to fall to empire control.”

“Yes, sir!”

“And Roberto.”

“Yes, sir?”

“See to it that my wife and daughter are safe, get some extra protection for them.”

“Aren’t you their protection sir.”

“I’m afraid not, i’m going directly into battle, if Quinn takes this place, he’s taking it from me personally.”

“Understood, sir. I must be off.”

“Farewell Roberto, and be safe.”


Andrew began walking down from the top of Uplift to the main gates, where he could see an army, a militia, forming. Civilians walked past Andrew, staring at him with hope in their eyes, but also fear. Storm clouds began to roll in, and a light drizzle began to fall on the town.


Andrew made his way to the front of the army, the gates of uplift opened, and Andrew was met with an impressive sight. A legion of the Empires army, hundreds of human soldiers, backed by thousands of mutants, stood at the ready to attack. And gulped, and he wan’t even in any real danger.


The rain began to pick up, coming down heavier. The world grew darker, as out of the legions of Imperials, rode Quinn, seated on the back of a Equus Daemon. The beast of a mount sneered at Andrew with it’s glowing red eyes and fang like teeth, before Quinn spoke, his black hair covering the pale skin of his face.

“Abraham, this is your final warning. Surrender now, and you will all be spared.” Quinn spoke in a slow, deep, voice.

“I refuse, Uplift will not become a part of the empire.” Andrew shouted, he grabbed for the rifle on his back.

“Very well.” Quinn said “I want his head saved, only his. Dispose of the rest.” Quinn said to a nearby captain, as he rode off back into the imperial legions, Andrew heard the first shot go off, dived for cover, and raised his sights.


The Empire began to fight forward, trying to push their way into the city. Andrew and the Uplifter’s held them back, firing at their legions at every chance they got. Nonetheless, there were thousands of Imperials, and only a couple hundred Uplifters. It was a losing battle, and Andrew had a feeling he knew how it ended. But then he heard someone say, “Abraham!” It was Roberto “Abraham!” Roberto shouted, running towards Andrew in the heat of battle.

“What is it Roberto!”

“Imperial Spies were reported as being in the Cliff foot district, your homes district, at least five of them.”

“So?”

“I only have two guards watching your family, and they aren’t trained enough to take on one spy, let alone two.”

Andrew lowered his weapon, and without thinking, ran off for the Cliff Foot district.


For some reason, he knew exactly how to get there. He ran through the streets, knocking over vendors tables, baskets of clothes, even people as fast as he could.


He arrived in the home to find the door broken open and the two guards dead on the doorstep. Running inside, he found himself face to face with Quinn and four Imperial Spies. Quinn held his daughter, with a gun to her head.

“My sources indicate your putting up a valiant fight Abraham”

“I fancy my soldiers stronger than yours.”

Quinn laughed, “If only that were true. Now, let’s get to work.”

“Let’s” Andrew said, he looked at Abrahams daughter, his daughter.

“You know why I’m here, the offer still stands. In fact i’ll even sweeten it for ya.”

“Oh really?”

“Surrender, every one comes out alive, my forces pull out, and I won’t take over, i’ll just maintain a prescence.”

“And if i refuse?”

Quinn cocked the hammer of the pistol, “Do you really want to find out?” The girl face started to shake as she began to cry.

Andrew wasted no time, “Fine, fine. We surrender.”

Quinn smiled, “Good.” He said, “But you’ve killed a lot of my men. There is a blood price.” Andrew saw Quinn begin to pull the trigger.

“NO!” Andrew shouted, firing his rifle at Quinn. Quinn fell back, dead, and the girl, blood spattered began to run towards Andrew, arms out wide. But then, the world started to collapse, Andrew began to feel intense pain, and as the girl approached him, she faded into nothingness.


Andrew woke up on the floor of the office, “Son, are you okay?” He heard Abraham asking.

“She didn’t make it did she, Quinn killed her?” Andrew said.

“Who?”

“Your daughter, Quinn killed her and got away, that’s why you don’t want to cause any trouble, isn’t it.”

Abraham was silent, but Andrew put his hand on Abrahams shoulder, “Don’t worry, you join me, we will avenge her. Quinn will pay, I promise you that.”

Solemnly, Abraham shook his head yes, and helped Andrew up off the ground.



© 2011 Damac


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review


One thing i think you have done well from the start is how logical and realistic this book can be and how you swearing because if you're in a situation , this situation you're not going to limit your say and tone down you're voice . How the sentences flow and how the story is written and structured shows what a great mind you add : I think how you add realism to make the book plausible is quite a talent because i've seen some writers who can't do that but you do it smoothly .

I love seeing how capable you our making Wastes you're own because sometimes when starting a book , It can become difficult to mold it into you're own but you do it with care and precision . I loved how the locket is playing more of a part , a vital significance to the storyline and how the story is changing is just marvellous to see . I've said this before but i don't think i've said it enough .... One thing i love about WC isn't nescescarrily reading chapters of people's work but seeing behind it and how the writer has progressesd , changing into a better writer .

How the story is developing is such a thing to see . I'm looking forward to the next chapter and one thing i loved about this chapter was the ending ... so well - done . This chapter personally to me is wrestling with one of your best writes , Revelation .

keep penning


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews


One thing i think you have done well from the start is how logical and realistic this book can be and how you swearing because if you're in a situation , this situation you're not going to limit your say and tone down you're voice . How the sentences flow and how the story is written and structured shows what a great mind you add : I think how you add realism to make the book plausible is quite a talent because i've seen some writers who can't do that but you do it smoothly .

I love seeing how capable you our making Wastes you're own because sometimes when starting a book , It can become difficult to mold it into you're own but you do it with care and precision . I loved how the locket is playing more of a part , a vital significance to the storyline and how the story is changing is just marvellous to see . I've said this before but i don't think i've said it enough .... One thing i love about WC isn't nescescarrily reading chapters of people's work but seeing behind it and how the writer has progressesd , changing into a better writer .

How the story is developing is such a thing to see . I'm looking forward to the next chapter and one thing i loved about this chapter was the ending ... so well - done . This chapter personally to me is wrestling with one of your best writes , Revelation .

keep penning


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
1 Review
Added on December 31, 2011
Last Updated on December 31, 2011


Author

Damac
Damac

New York City, NY



About
I'm just a writer looking for a place where I can write without limitations! I am currently Writing Four Stories: Operation School: What Lies Ahead - A sequel to my first ever work of writing, O.. more..

Writing
Chapter I: The Calm Chapter I: The Calm

A Chapter by Damac


The Regulator The Regulator

A Book by Damac