Uprising

Uprising

A Chapter by Damac
"

Andrew and Veronica travel out into the streets of Uplift to get a new perspective on their situation

"

“Hiding in plain sight is an easy way to change ones viewpoint.”


Andrew and Abraham walked out of the office, side by side. The room was silent, almost everyone was sitting with their heads down, or twiddling their fingers, or just trying to distract themselves from what was happening around them. Andrew saw Veronica standing in the back of the room, leaning against a wall. Luke sat in his wheelchair by her side.


As the two walked out, the older man came running up to them.

“District Leader sir, if you are done with these Wastelanders, I will be happy to call security to send them out.” The older man said. Andrew looked over at Veronica, her eyes met his and she moved her hand towards a concealed knife, Andrew shot her a look that said simply “Wait.”

“Calm yourself Jeremiah, I want you to personally show our guests to their new residence. In the Cliff Foot district.”

“Guest? But...but sir?”

“And while your at it, send word to the guards that the Super Mutant they turned away earlier, Gear, is to be allowed in.”

“But Sir that is outrageous, we do not take their kind in Uplift!”

“Times have changed Jeremiah, do as you are told.”

“The Council will not stand for such a drastic rule change!”

“The Council has no authority here! The Super Mutant is my personal guest in the city, and emergency powers are in effect.”

“Emergency powers... do you mean...” But before he could finish, Abraham put a hand on his shoulder.

“There is much to discuss, now go! Show our guests to their home and deliver my message to the guards. Then return here quickly.”

“Yes, sir. Right away!” Jeremiah began to walk away, motioning for Andrew and the others to follow. Veronica started pushing Luke behind Jeremiah, and Andrew was about to follow.

“I will have your weapons delivered to your home Andrew, do not betray my trust.”

“I won’t.” Andrew said.


After the three had arrived at the house and gotten settled in, Andrew and Veronica went into their new dining room, a very spacious and decorative room with a long wooden table sitting under a small, three candle light fixture. the two were checking and cleaning their weapons, which had been dropped off for them

“So what’s going on.” Veronica asked, cleaning the barrel of a rifle.

“As far as I know, the Empire is coming and the Congress is not.”

“And this place is under Imperial control? So we are screwed?”

“No, we aren’t exactly screwed.” Andrew said, picking up his revolver and cleaning the cylinder.

“How so?”

“Abraham, the District Leader, maintains power over Uplift. But the Empire keeps it’s influence here, you can sure as hell bet Quinn knows we are here.”

“I still don’t see how we aren’t screwed.”

“Because, I convinced Abraham to fight back. He’s going to organize the city to fight for freedom for the empire.” Andrew said, putting down the gun.

“The citizens aren’t that repressed by the empire are they? Surely they won’t be willing to risk their lives?”

“Well, get the cover-ups out. We are going on a little trip.”


“I haven’t had to wear this stupid thing in so long.” Veronica said, wrapping a scarf around her head. “It’s filled with dust.”

“I know, I know, but we can’t just go out into the open. It was fine when we arrived and when we walked here, but if we are going to snoop, we have to be a bit more secretive.” Andrew said, taking a metal mask out of a bag and putting it on his face. The mask only covered his nose, mouth, cheeks, and chin, but it was suitable. He then put a large, brown, hooded cloak on and pulled the hood over his head. Veronica pulled out a similar, lighter brown cloak and did the same.

“Should we worry about Luke?” Veronica asked. Andrew looked over at his brother, sleeping in a small bed off in a far room.

“No, no he’s fine. And we don’t have to worry about Gear either, we won’t be gone long, we will be back before he arrives. Just lock the door when we leave.”


The two slipped out the door and into the bustling city streets. They walked amongst the many people, kicking up dirt along the dirt road as they went.

“Where are we going?” Veronica asked.

“The Marketplace.” 


The two arrived in the marketplace, and Andrew immediately saw three Imperial soldiers harassing a local trader.

“Gives us your metal, cretin. We don’t want to do this the hard way.” One soldier said, pulling his gun on the man.

“Alright, alright!” The man said, handing over a small sack of jingling pieces of metal. Metal had become the currency of the wasteland, it was so precious do to the fact that it could be used as a way to build shelter, weapons, and ammo. It was so precious, many settlements had problems with metal being stolen right off of buildings and walkways. The Man handed it over.

“Thank you for your donation to the empire.” One of the soldiers said.

 Andrew began to walk slowly toward the soldiers.

“What are you doing?”

“Recruiting, care to join?”

“I thought we weren’t going to cause a scene?”

“I never said that.”

Veronica drew a knife from under her cloak, “Let’s do it.”


The two moved through the slightly thick crowd of people to the shop front. The Soldiers were still there, harassing the man for some of his valuables. Andrew walked right up behind the middle soldier, and tapped him on the shoulder, “Excuse me?” Andrew said. The soldier began to turn his head, with a smug look on his face. Andrew tightened his grip around his own knife, and swung his hand into the soldiers face, digging the knife deep in. Andre then grabbed the gunning hand of the dying man and pulled the guns trigger, shooting the soldier to his right. Veronica snuck up behind the third and final soldier, and slipped the knife through his armor and into his throat. The two then backed off and let the bodies fall limply to the ground. Andrew heard the screams of the crowd behind him and the footsteps of the people trying to run away. He reached down onto the dead guards body, and pulled up the sack of metal, tossing it to the trader.

“Remember what happened here, are you ready to fight for the liberation of Uplift.” Andrew asked, pointing at the man and tossing him the sack.

“Yes, yes sir!”

“Are you prepared to fight against the empire for this city.”

“Yes!”

“Then go, go home to your family, and spread the word to your neighbors. The Liberation of Uplift is at hand.”

Andrew turned to Veronica, “Now do you think they are being oppressed?” He asked as the man ran away.

“Yes, yes as a mater of fact, I do.” Veronica responded as she wiped the blood off her knife with her fingers.



© 2012 Damac


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
Added on January 6, 2012
Last Updated on January 6, 2012


Author

Damac
Damac

New York City, NY



About
I'm just a writer looking for a place where I can write without limitations! I am currently Writing Four Stories: Operation School: What Lies Ahead - A sequel to my first ever work of writing, O.. more..

Writing
Chapter I: The Calm Chapter I: The Calm

A Chapter by Damac


The Regulator The Regulator

A Book by Damac