Chapter 3 Ebony

Chapter 3 Ebony

A Chapter by Emily L

Ebony

A great wind suddenly rushed through as the doors began to open. Evelyn looked inside trying to hold on to her straw hat with a red bow on it. She began to walk in, but the place was pitch black, nothing was lit. Suddenly the dog began to bark, and there little by little, candles began to lit the place. A great chandelier above filled the place with all the light it needed. Strangely, the inside of the house looked more like a castle than the house pictured from outside.


There was a set of stairs that seemed to go upward endlessly and to the sides of it, two halls decorated with many statues and paintings on its wall, they eventually ended and turned a corner towards another room. The floor, glass and see through seemed to have snow underneath. "What is this place?" Evelyn asked herself letting go of the dog.


"Oh, well it looks like someone has come to visit this old timer. Now who do I owe the thanks to for returning my dog safely?" A woman then appeared from the end of the right hall. "Is everything ok dear? You look marveled."


Evelyn then shook her head trying to forget what she has just seen.  "yes, yes, how rude of me, I'm sorry, it has been a long journey. You must be Ebony" Evelyn said taking off her hat to show respect.


"Oh, a long journey you say. Where is it that you come from? There are certainly no pretty girls like you around here. That's for sure." The old woman  began to walk towards the entrance to greet Evelyn.


"Well I have come from North of Maine. I have come to find my grandmother whom I haven't seen since I was a child, long before my mother..The thought of her mother triggered a few tears for Evelyn.  "Oh dear, I'm guessing she has passed. Let me tell you this, all good things in life pass, just to gift us even better opportunities. There is no need to cry, I'm sure your mother was a beauty." The old lady finally reached the entrance, she stepped over towards Evelyn. The young Evelyn's eyes then reopen to look into the warm tender eyes of an old woman with a compassionate smile that faded the overdue wrinkles on her face. "Now, come with me dear, let's get you into a warm tub and make you some tea."


Evelyn walked up the stairs one by one, she went through a hall that held many books on its shelves, but these were no ordinary books. These books were huge and old, and by just looking at them, you can tell that they are frail. They were all in volumes and painted in gold letters. One of the book's title was: elemental possession. "What are all these books?" Evelyn asked trying to reach one. "Oh, don't worry about those old things, they are just there to look pretty." As Evelyn attempted to reach the elemental book, a zap crossed her hand and whipped back. "Ow! did you see that?" The old woman chuckled, "I'm sorry dear I was more concerned of your bath than the books. I couldn't see what just happened."


Evelyn  reached to a stop, the hall lead down to a wall, a dead end, but when she looked upward, the door was about 10 feet above them. "Well, how in the world do we get up there Ebony?" Evelyn looks around for some type of rope or ladder.The old woman stood back and performed a weird movement with her arms pointed at the books. "Don't worry my dear, this castle wasn't built for normal people to live in, and thankfully, I'm no normal old woman." the books  began to fly towards their direction and aligned as if they were a stair case.


"Now, you get on one of the books and I will be right behind you." when Evelyn stepped on the book, they all rose up in the air, this time creating a walkway towards the door. Evelyn slowly crossed over pushing the doors open and finding a beautiful room with a giant tub in it, flowered with petals already full with warm water and soap. "Now, go on my dear, you must rest for the next day to come, get cozy and I will be back soon."


Ebony  floated away on the book she was standing.  Evelyn undressed and sank into the tub of warm water. She looked around the room, and noticed that the windows were covered with long yellow curtains. When she reached over, the curtains split open to reveal the view outside the window. There was a water tower on the other side that sat on a lonely mountain way up high. Ebony  knocked on the door, Evelyn then sank under the water and covered up in the bubbles. "Yes, come in."


Ebony  slowly walked towards the hot tub holding a silvered plate with a cup of tea. "Here you are my dear, nice and warm for this cold night." Evelyn reached over for the tea and when she sipped on it, her eyes opened wide. "Is this Genmaicha?" Ebony then smiled at the question. "Well, of course it is, it's your favorite tea, isn't it?"


Evelyn couldn't believe what was going on. "How did you know? No one but my mother knew." Ebony smiled and responded cheerfully. "I know everything... Evelyn."



© 2017 Emily L


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on September 9, 2017
Last Updated on September 9, 2017
Tags: book, story, maine, adventure, mystery, scary, fantasy, witch, evil, magic, witchcraft


Author

Emily L
Emily L

Akron, OH



About
Hello, my name is Emily i'm 19years old and simply just want to share my writing with the world. I have a strong love for writing about nature and the world around me. All the beautiful things it has .. more..

Writing
Just Be Just Be

A Poem by Emily L