Preventing World War III

Preventing World War III

A Chapter by Matt B
"

How do we avoid the unthinkable?

"
The danger of having a catastrophic world war in my lifetime just got real.  In case you haven't heard, North Korea just took a really big step towards nuclear war.  America has been in combat with North Korea before, having fought the Korean War in the fifties as part of a UN force.  I would be remiss in neglecting an important fact; the US is technically still at war with the North (the Korean War ended in a cease-fire, without a peace agreement ever being signed).  Our current policy on Korea is to support, and help defend, our allies in South Korea and Japan through containment.  The whole situation is like a big chess game; one side does something, and the other reacts by doing something else, in an attempt to "check" the other. 

Now to what's been happening recently.  As previously mentioned, the North has shown that they have ICBMs.  In the past, the weapons testing of North Korea have only posed threats to Hawaii, as well as our Asian allies.  However, we now must seriously worry about an attack on continental North America.  In the most current missile test, said weapon flew much higher and for much longer than any other North Korean missile.  With this result, it is generally thought that such a missile (if launched) could reach the West Coast, and perhaps the Midwest as well.  Cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Chicago are now under threat. 

For America's part, it seems that our military is preparing to strike North Korea, if indeed that is deemed needed.  Ambassador Nikki Haley has even said that there is "no point in having an emergency (UN Security Council) session".  Clearly, we are now closer to nuclear war than ever before, save perhaps the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Knowing the current situation, I ask an important question; how can we prevent a nuclear war? I believe that there are three basic actions that we need to take. 

First, we need to tell China (in no uncertain terms) that they need to talk to North Korea, and do so in a firm manner.  China is North Korea's largest trading partner, and erstwhile ally.  If the Chinese tell the North that in order to keep their trading routes, the North must step back from war, the Koreans may do as such.  Money talks, and this would be a big step in the right direction. 

Second, we must quickly develop plans for the defense of not just our allies, but America as well.  This includes the development of our missile defenses, both ground and space-based.  Israel's "Iron Dome" defense system, which was American designed, has been very effective in the defense of that nation.  We must take what we have learned from the Israelis and apply it to our own defense. 

Finally, our cities and states must prepare for the previously unthinkable.  If it hits the fan, and North Korea launches nukes, we won't have much time to think about where to go and what to do.  Indeed, it is estimated that a nuclear attack could reach America in as little as thirty minutes.  It is of the utmost importance that American citizens learn what steps to take in the event of an emergency.  This means making sure that our warning systems, including the Emergency Alert System (EAS) are in good working order. 

America is no longer isolated by two oceans.  Indeed, the terrorist attacks on New York and DC proved that an emergency can happen anywhere, and at any time.  Obviously, it is my hope and prayer that cooler heads prevail in this conflict between nations.  Nevertheless, if disaster strikes, all of us must be ready.  History has shown that just one small action can begin a worldwide war (for example, how World War I started....the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand).  Let us pray that this "powder keg" is not ignited. 


© 2017 Matt B


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on July 31, 2017
Last Updated on July 31, 2017