On Freedom In America

On Freedom In America

A Chapter by Matt B

In America, we talk of freedom and opportunity.  We love our Independence Day fireworks, and celebrate that we're able to have family cookouts and barbecues on the beach.  Even so, I have recently come to realize that Americans are not truly free.  Instead, we are presented with the illusion of freedom, and told to believe it (which most of us do).  Look around you, and ask yourself if you really and truly like what you see.  In Connecticut, a man was recently sentenced to twenty years in prison for simply defending himself from a violent attack (Connecticut has no "stand-your-ground" law; instead, we have a law that says if you are attacked, you have a "duty to retreat").  And if we try to talk to our politicians about these things, we are commonly given the message to sit down, and shut up...or else.  

If I sound a bit angry with this, well then, I am.  You see, it's hard not to get upset when a innocent man is dying in a federal prison.  Consider the case of one Leonard Peltier, a Native American (Dakota/Lakota by birth).  He currently resides at a United State Penitentiary in Florida, having been falsely tried and convicted of murdering two FBI agents.  In this case, Mr. Peltier has been the victim of an FBI campaign of misinformation, denial of evidence, and outright lies.  The proceedings of this legal matter conclusively prove this to be true (see some of them at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Peltier ).  The FBI itself says that it "(does not) know who killed (the) agents....but someone has to pay for (the) crime".  

Nevertheless, federal courts have routinely ruled against Peltier; his legal appeals are, as of this point, exhausted.  And not one, but FIVE PRESIDENTS (from Clinton to Trump) have refused to pardon Mr. Peltier, the latest being Barack Obama.  This is even with the support of many international leaders and celebrities.  During his time in prison, Mr. Peltier has been beaten, and denied basic prisoner rights such as medical care.  Since the late 70s, he has never been able to see his children grow up, or freely celebrate even one "Independence Day".  You see, for Mr. Peltier, there is no such thing as independence or freedom; he is in failing health, and dying in prison.  It is thought that barring a pardon from president Donald Trump, Mr. Peltier will remain there (serving a life sentence) for the rest of his life.  

History teaches us that a great patriot once said "give me liberty, or give me death".  Apparently, the federal government has decided that Leonard Peltier cannot have liberty, so he must have death.  That's supposed to be the definition of "freedom"? To quote Rage Against The Machine, "yeah, right"! Quoting Ronald Reagan, "our honored dead....gave their lives" to secure "liberty and justice for all".  Indeed, our founding fathers pledged their "lives, fortunes, and sacred honor" for this cause, but what of it? When an innocent man such as Peltier is dying in prison, no other man can truly consider himself free.  

If this is what the federal government defines as "liberty", then (as much as I hate to say it) those who have given "the last measure of devotion" for their country have, in fact, died in vain.  And middle eastern terrorists, who caused so much death and destruction on a September morning seventeen years ago, have succeeded in their mission.  Think about that for a moment, and then tell me what you will do to stand up for freedom.  If it is nothing, or merely talk the talk and not walk the walk, then perhaps we are undeserving of the liberty that we so often celebrate.

"Did you forget your name? Check the diagonal, three brothers gone.  Doesn't that make it three in a row?" -- Rage Against The Machine, "Freedom"

PS: Tell President Trump to pardon Leonard Peltier immediately.  Call the White House Switchboard at 202-456-1111, or 202-456-1414.  Let's bring Leonard Peltier back home, where he belongs.  


© 2018 Matt B


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on July 11, 2018
Last Updated on July 11, 2018