Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Minyonka

Horror.
 
That one word could describe the faces of the surrounding Soul Reapers when it happened. A small figure wearing a white captain’s haori fell from the sky, blood quickly replacing the color of purity. Red streaks ran through the white hair of the young captain as his eyes remained wide. No breath was taken by the captain, nor could his allies move. Time seemed to stop as he hit the harsh cement ground of the false Karakura town. The killer smirked and sheathed his zanpakuto as he watched the young man fall.
 
The hole in his chest, the slit in his throat; it all added up to one grim conclusion.
 
Captain!
 
… Toshiro Hitsugaya was dead.
 
__________________________________
 
Nine Months Later…
_________________________________
 
            I stared down at the infant in my mother’s arms, my dark brown eyes wide in awe. The delicate child she held was beautiful. What shocked me most about my newborn brother were the feather-like strands of snowy hair that were matted against his head. The doctors said albinism was the most likely cause for that. We’d have to be careful with the baby, and make sure we protected him from overexposure to the sun. They also said he may develop vision problems as he grew. None of that mattered to me, though. He was my brother, the only one I’d had. In my eyes, he was perfect.
 
“Toshiro Kitamura,” I murmured, gently placing my hand on his head. He shifted slightly and a small smile crossed my features. After sixteen years, I had a sibling.
 
“Minako, do you want to hold him?” my mother asked.
 
I nodded, grinning, and my brother was passed into my arms. I sat in a chair next to the hospital bed as I watched little Toshiro move. He was sleeping, curled into a little ball. I kissed his forehead, knowing it would be my job to help take care of him, something I was more than willing to do for the infant I held. It wasn’t long before my mother fell asleep, clearly exhausted from the birthing process, and my father left the room briefly to call a few family friends.
 
“I’ll always protect you, Toshiro. I promise,” I whispered as I placed my index finger in his tiny, yet firm, grasp.


© 2009 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A nice, juicy prologue, something I envy in others if they are capable of writing such a smooth opening where I already want to know what happens next.

One slight suggestion though. You might want to add a translation of words such as 'haori' and 'zanpakuto' for those people who wouldn't yet have the luxury of knowing what those words mean. And while you're at it, you'd be killing two birds with one stone, by having someone read your work, and you teaching them a little something about a language and culture that you so obviously know a lot about. :)

Can't wait to read what happens next. Keep it up! You certainly have a knack for writing, from what I'm seeing, and have seen, so far.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 22, 2009
Last Updated on October 22, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka