Chapter 27

Chapter 27

A Chapter by Minyonka

 

Toshiro, Renji and I all walked home that evening after taking out what seemed like a hundred Hollows. There hadn’t been one Arrancar yet, though. We were all battered and bruised, but not bad when all things were considered. As soon as we had entered the house, I locked the door and turned to Renji and Toshiro.
 
“Go get your gigais and I’ll make something to eat,” I said and walked into the kitchen. As I searched the room for something quick and easy to cook, my eyes fell on a frozen pizza in the freezer. With a shrug of my shoulders, I preheated the oven and began cooking it. Toshiro and Renji entered the kitchen twenty minutes later, just as the pizza was finished.
 
“Is something wrong?” Toshiro asked, staring at me.
 
“I’m okay. Why?”
 
“You’re pale.”
 
“Just tired, that’s all,” I answered, grabbing a slice of pizza for myself and setting the platter in front of Toshiro and Renji for them to help themselves. The two of them began talking to each other about the days events, noting how odd the influx of Hollows had been.
 
“There weren’t any Arrancar and the Hollows sent were hardly a challenge,” Renji mumbled. “It doesn’t make any sense.”
 
“There’s no way of knowing what Aizen is planning,” Toshiro answered.
 
I simply stared at my half-eaten pizza in silence as I listened to them. As they continued talking, I got a bad taste in my mouth and set my slice down on a paper plate. My mind had drifted to the day’s fights and the brutality of that fighting. I’d never actually faced Hollows before, only trained with Soul Reapers. It was certainly a very different experience. Added to that was the poor souls. Kaname and Shizuka weren’t the only ones that day and my stomach churned.
 
I covered my mouth and ran out of the kitchen, barely making it to the bathroom before becoming sick. As I leaned over the toilet, someone pulled my hair out of the way and gently rubbed my back. I flushed the toilet and leaned against the wall, realizing Toshiro had been the one to hold my hair back for me. He let go and stood over me as Renji came in with a small glass of water. I took it with shaky hands and took a small sip.
 
“You alright?” Renji asked.
 
“I think so,” I murmured. “Sorry, I must look pathetic to you two.”
 
“It’s a common reaction after doing something like what you did today for the first time. It happens to everyone.”
 
“Did it happen to you?”
 
“I had a rough upbringing and I’m a natural fighter. You shouldn’t try to compare your first fight to mine.” I nodded, drinking more water.
 
“Who were the first two,” Toshiro asked after a moment.
 
“Kaname and Shizuka. Kaname was a client of mine, but you never met him. I was so close to breaking through with him. Now, not only has his life been cut short, but his seven-year-old sister. He really loved her, you know. He took care of her in the same way I took care of you, Toshiro,” I explained, tears falling from my eyes and into the water glass. Toshiro glanced away for a brief moment before offering me a small smile.
 
“You’re dong better than most people I’ve seen,” he said.
 
“Really?”
 
“Most would’ve had this reaction after the first fight. You lasted the full day.” I smiled lightly, proud of myself in that respect.
 
“What happened to the other Hollows? Did Rukia, Uryuu, Rangiku and Chad take care of them?”
 
“More or less,” Renji answered. “We actually fought a good amount of them today.”
 
“What happens to Hollows when they are killed?”
 
“Don’t worry about it. Just worry about holding down the rest of that pizza.” I chuckled and lightly elbowed Renji’s shin, as he was still standing.
 
“You’re too blunt for your own good sometimes, Renji.”
 
“You should rest,” Toshiro suggested and I nodded, slowly standing before making my way to my room. The day’s events took their toll on me and I was asleep only minutes after lying down.


© 2009 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on November 28, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka