Chapter 17

Chapter 17

A Chapter by Minyonka

 

A light knock came to the door as I finished putting away Kaname’s file. Our appointment had just finished and I had to hurry over to Kisuke’s shop for my training. I turned around, expecting to see Renji trying to hurry me out of my office. Instead, I found Tsume standing in the doorway, concern in his eyes.
 
“Tsume?” I asked. “What are you doing here?”
 
“I heard something happened to Toshiro,” he answered and my eyes widened in surprise. I hadn’t told anyone what had happened to my brother.
 
“Where did you hear that?”
 
“I heard your friend, the one with the tattoos, in the lobby. He was talking to some woman about your brother, that he was captured.”
 
I couldn’t believe what I’d heard. Renji was supposed to be in his Soul Reaper form. He wasn’t supposed to be seen by anyone. It was the same with Rangiku, who had come with him. As if he’d known what I was thinking, Renji came into view, no doubt to see what was taking me so long. Sure enough, he was in his Soul Reaper form. Tsume turned around and jumped back when he saw how close Renji was.
 
“Tsume, can you see him?” I asked, resting a hand on the young man’s shoulder.
 
“Of course I can see him. He’s standing right there.
 
“Minako, forget about it. We have to go,” Renji said firmly.
 
“What if he can help?” I asked.
 
“We can’t teach him to be useful in a week, and that’s assuming he can do anything in the first place.”
 
“But-”
 
“Don’t bother with it.”
 
“If Toshiro’s in trouble, I want to help,” Tsume answered, squaring his shoulders and staring into Renji’s eyes.
 
“You’d likely be useless to us.”
 
“I’m not your average kid.”
 
“No, you’re a reformed delinquent,” Renji answered mockingly. “Do you think that makes you special? So is everyone else Minako’s worked with.”
 
“Renji,” I hissed and quickly moved to shut the door to my office. “That was uncalled for.”
 
“It’s the truth.”
 
“I can help,” Tsume interrupted.
 
“Look, kid, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the likelihood of you being helpful is slim to none. You may be able to see me, but that doesn’t mean anything.”
 
“I’ve been fighting monsters for a year now!” My eyes widened and I stared at Tsume in shock. What kinds of monsters was he fighting? Hollows? Did he know what they were? Why had he never mentioned it when he was my client?
 
“Tsume, what are you talking about?” I asked, turning him towards me.
 
“I never told you, but you remember how I used to come in all beat up and say I got into a fight after school?”
 
“You came in with a huge gash in your arm once and told me someone pulled a knife on you. Was that really from one of those monsters?”
 
“Yeah. They’ve been coming after me for a year now and I’ve been fighting them off,” Tsume answered.
 
“How effective are you?” Renji asked and I glared at him. He was being hypercritical.
 
“I’m still alive, aren’t I? I don’t go home injured as much. I’d say I’m doing a decent job.”
 
“What can you do?” Tsume smirked and held up one hand. The tips of his fingers began glowing and sharpened to a point. They looked vaguely like claws.
 
“These things cut through almost anything. I will be useful and I’ll help you get Toshiro back from wherever he is.” At that moment, Rangiku ran through the door with and annoyed expression on her face.
 
“What’s taking you?” she asked impatiently, startling Tsume.
 
He jumped back and flung his arm forward, throwing the spiritual claws at her. Rangiku ducked and was standing in front of Tsume with her sword at his throat, all in a matter of seconds. The teenager’s eyes were widened in shock, but I saw him forming more claws at his fingertips. Tsume always was resourceful. I stepped in between the two, pulling them apart.
 
“Calm down,” I ordered, my hand on each of their shoulders. I still didn’t understand why Rangiku wore a long, white vest with the number ten on it, nor had I had the chance to ask.
 
“She tried to kill me!” Tsume exclaimed.
 
“You attacked first, kid,” Rangiku retorted, sheathing her zanpakuto.
 
“Rangiku, this is Tsume, a former client of mine. Tsume, this is Rangiku Matsumoto. She’s helping in the search for my brother. I don’t want you fighting each other.”
 
“Let me help, then,” Tsume insisted.
 
“We don’t have time to be arguing, least of all here. We can sort it out at Urahara’s place,” Rangiku answered and turned to leave, not bothering to wait for us. That woman was the most confusing person I’d ever met. One minute, she could be your best friend and the next, she could be a skilled killer. I shook my head and finished putting away my work before we could leave.


© 2009 Minyonka


Author's Note

Minyonka
Yes, I added a nice little twist involving Tsume. Honstely, I hadn't planned on this, but it just came to me. I always wanted to do more with Tsume after I mentioned him the first time, so I found a way.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on November 13, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka