Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Minyonka

 

“How should I know if I’m doing the right thing?” one of my clients, a sixteen-year-old girl named Ayame, demanded. She was one of the teenagers I worked with as a consoler.
 
“Well, what goes through your mind when he pressures you?” I asked, jotting quick notes in my invented shorthand. Ayame hesitated, chewing on her lower lip. She squeezed her hands together between her knees and averted her gaze.
 
“It… It makes me think of when my uncle…” Her voice trailed of and I nodded in understanding. I leaned forward and rested my hand on her knee, causing her to look into my eyes.
 
“You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to, Ayame. This is your body.” A few tears welled into her emerald eyes and she quickly brushed them away.
 
“I know, but what if Kaito threatens to leave?”
 
“Do you want him to use your for sex?”
 
“No.”
 
“Then, if he really cares about you, he’ll respect your wishes,” I answered firmly, but with a caring tone in my voice. Ayame nodded slowly, sniffing as she rubbed her eyes again.
 
“Thanks, Minako,” she whispered, still thinking over what I’d said.
 
She glanced at the clock before reaching for her purse. Her session was over, as was my work day. It had only been a day since the attack, but I’d been able to return to work. As I placed my notes in Ayame’s file in my office, I heard one of my coworkers near the room. There was a light knock on the doorframe and I turned around to see Toboe Hamato.
 
“You know, I think that was the first time Ayame left here with the faintest of smiles,” he said, taking a few steps into the room. “You really have a way with them. Remember Tsume?”
 
“Yeah. I worked with him for a while last year. He was one of my first clients,” I answered.
 
“I saw him the other day. He says you turned his life around.” I could feel a blush creeping to my face.
 
“You have a gift Minako. You also have a visitor.” My brows furrowed as I ran through my mental list of clients. No one else was scheduled that day.
 
“Who?” I asked.
 
“I didn’t catch his name. He’s out at the front desk,” Toboe answered.
 
I nodded and grabbed my bags before heading out to meet my visitor. When I came to the front desk, I found a man about my age waiting. He had short, clean-cut black hair and the reflection of light on his glasses hid his eyes. The man had sharp facial features and well-toned muscles on his arms, which were revealed by his short-sleeved, white shirt. I knew him as Uryuu Ishida.
 
“Good afternoon, Mr. Ishida. Can I help you with anything?” I asked, shaking his hand in greeting.
 
“I wanted to see if you were doing well after the incident yesterday,” he answered.
 
“I’m fine. I can’t thank you enough for helping my brother and me.”
 
“I was merely in the right place at the right time. Anyone would’ve done the same.”
 
“Still, I want to do something to repay you. Would you and your girlfriend join us for dinner this evening?” I offered. I’d seen Uryuu’s girlfriend once or twice before in the store he worked. She was a pretty woman with long, strawberry blond hair.
 
“That really isn’t necessary.”
 
“Please? I insist.”
 
“You’re very adamant about this, aren’t you, Miss Kitamura?”
 
“It’s the least I can do to repay you,” I answered. Uryuu sighed softly with a nod.
 
“Very well. We’ll come.” I grabbed a piece of paper from my desk and wrote my address on it before handing it to him.
 
“You can come at six. Thank you again, Mr. Ishida.”
________________________________________________________________________
 
That evening, Toshiro was in the kitchen with me, helping me prepare dinner. I placed the sesame chicken in the oven while my brother tossed the salad in a bowl.
 
“How was your day,” Shiro-chan?” I asked, taking off my oven mitts.
 
“Good. Miss Nakashima took us to the playground near her house,” my brother answered with a smile. Yori Nakashima was the babysitter Toshiro went to while I was working. She had something of a daycare service going on and she watched a group of about five or six children.
 
“Did you have fun?” Toshiro shrugged his shoulders.
 
“Not really. I didn’t want to play there.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“I was afraid that monster would come back,” he mumbled, staring down at the counter. My eyes softened as I placed my hand on Toshiro’s shoulder, pulling him into a loose hug.
 
“You don’t need to be afraid, Shiro-chan. I’m not going to let anything bad happen to you,” I whispered gently, kissing his forehead. The doorbell rang and I ran to answer it. Standing at the door were Uryuu and his girlfriend.
 
“Good evening, Miss Kitamura,” Uryuu greeted, nodding his head.
 
“Hello. Come in and make yourselves at home. And, please, just call me Minako.”
 
“It’s nice to finally meet you, Minako. I’m Orihime Inoue,” the strawberry blond answered. She and Uryuu entered the house, slipping off their shoes, and I showed them to the living room.
 
“Pleasure to meet you, Orihime,” I said with a smile. “Dinner will be ready soon.”
 
“Uryuu-kun told me you have a younger brother. Where is he?”
 
“In the kitchen.” I walked to the entryway of the kitchen, where I found Toshiro sitting at the stool by the counter. “Shiro-chan, don’t be rude. Say hello to our guests.” My brother hopped off the stool and walked with me into the living room. When Orihime saw him, her eyes widened.
 
“Your brother is so cute!” she exclaimed. I chuckled softly and ruffled his hair.
 
“This is Mr. Ishida and Miss Inoue.” Toshiro nodded and bowed slightly.
 
“My name is Toshiro Kitamura. Nice to meet you,” he greeted.


© 2009 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on November 3, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka