Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Minyonka

Smooth sailing for the first few days was to be expected. After all, how much could have possibly happened in the first week of a voyage. The crew even seemed to accept letting Gale work on the ship with them. They did, however, seem apprehensive and I could understand why. Gale also seemed put off by the arrangements and I had found him ordering my crew more than a few times. I was in the bridge with Jim when Mr. Splice came up to me.
 
“How’s that boy related to ya?” he asked, jerking an appendage towards Gale, who was hanging in the shrouds.
 
“He’s my brother and I’d guess half-brother, considering we look nothing alike.”
 
“Ya trust ‘im?”
 
“To an extent.”
 
“The crew’s not likin’ ‘im much. He’s tryin’ to take yer place, Em.”
 
“How bad is it?”
 
“Hands might snap soon,” Splice answered, referring to the one I called Grappler. I nodded and turned my gaze back towards Gale.
 
“Jim, you take over for a bit. I’m going to have a little chat with my brother. Mr. Splice, resume your position.”
 
“Aye, Cap’n,” he answered and left quickly.
 
“Ember,” Jim said, causing me to turn to face him. “Be careful. He’s dangerous.”
 
“I know, Jim. I will,” I answered and walked down onto the deck. I joined Gale in the shrouds, staring out into space around us. Admittedly, the view was beautiful. With the stars shining brightly in and endless sea of black, along with the various colors of dust-clouds and auroras, it was truly a sight to behold. Views like that really made me miss sailing with my father.
 
“It’s beautiful,” I murmured.
 
“That it is, but I get the feeling you came to talk about more than just the view,” Gale answered with a shrug and I frowned.
 
“Right.” I swung around the shrouds and back onto the deck. “I wanted to talk to you about the crew.”
 
“What about them?”
 
“You realize you’re not the one in charge on this ship, right?”
 
“I don’t see what that has to do with anything.” Gale was still staring out into the Etherium, not looking at me.
 
“You need to stop ordering them like you have been. I don’t want a fight to break out,” I answered. My brother finally turned his head to look at me, his eyes sharp.
 
“And who says you can order me around? The crew is our father’s. They’re just as much mine as they are yours,” he said harshly.
 
“They swore their loyalty to Dad and me. If anything were to happen to him, as it has, I become captain. But I think you already knew that.” Gale jumped down from the shrouds and stood before me. He was about the same height as Jim, maybe taller, and stared down into my eyes.
 
“I don’t take orders from anyone.”
 
“Well, start learning. You’re on this ship and I’m captain. You can start by refraining from ordering my crew.”
 
“I told you, I don’t take orders!” Gale was speaking through clenched teeth and I could tell he was trying to hold back his anger.
 
“Well, you’re not going to be giving any either,” I answered sternly before turning to walk back up to the bridge. As I stood beside my husband, I couldn’t help but notice his concerned stare.
 
“You didn’t want to end the conversation there, did you?” he asked. I sighed and looked over at him.
 
“No, I didn’t, but I didn’t have any other choice. Like you said, he’s dangerous. I’m still trying to figure him out.”
 
“Just please be careful around him, Ember. I don’t want anything to happen to you.”
 
“I’ll be fine, Jim. I promise,” I answered with a smile and gently kissed him. Someone cleared his throat from behind me and I turned to see Romulus and Remus. I blushed slightly as I turned to fully faced them. As long as I had been with Jim, I was still uncomfortable showing my softer side around the crew.
 
“What is it, boys?” I asked, fully regaining my composure.
 
“Mr. Onus spotted a ship in the distance. What are your orders?” Romulus asked.
 
“Keep a safe distance until Mr. Onus can identify whether or not it’s another pirate crew,” I answered.
 
“Aye, Cap’n,” the twins answered and left. I watched as Romulus climbed into the rigging, towards the crow’s-nest, to relay the message to Mr. Onus.
 
“You’re doing pretty good, for this being your first time as captain,” Jim said.
 
“You know as well as I do that this is only the beginning. It’s bound to get worse,” I murmured.
 
“What’ll you do if it’s a pirate ship?”
 
“I don’t know. Let’s hope it isn’t.”
 
“Attack them before they attack you,” Gale’s voice answered. I leaned over the edge of the bridge to see him leaning on the wall.
 
“We only have half a crew, remember?”
 
“Then we’ll work harder to make up for it. Isn’t that what you said?” I scowled at my brother and pushed away from the railing. I didn’t need to be picking fights with my brother when I had to run a ship.
 
“For all we know, it’s just a cargo ship. We may not have to do anything,” I answered. Gale shrugged his shoulders and pushed off the wall, walking off to another part of the deck. Fifteen minutes later, I glanced up to see fear on my lookout’s face.
 
“Capteen!” Mr. Onus yelled.
 
“Looks like Gale was right,” Jim mumbled.
 
“Shut up,” I muttered and leapt over the railing to the deck. “To your stations, men! Avoid that ship at all costs!”


© 2009 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on November 1, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka