Epilogue

Epilogue

A Chapter by Minyonka

It had been a month since we’d returned to Montressor, two months since the explosion. We’d done a proper ceremony for Griffin aboard the ship on the voyage back. Needless to say, Sarah was shocked when we returned with everyone, especially my newly-found brother. Nonetheless, she welcomed him and our friends, allowing them all to stay at the Benbow Inn. Gale and our father decided to take my offer to stay with Jim and me at our home up the road. Dad fully healed, though we needed to fix his mechanical parts, and soon became like his old self again, both in body and spirit. Now, everyone was going their separate ways. Ari and Nyssa were returning home to their family, Tobias and Willow had fallen in love with each other on the Aurum and were going to start a life together, and Ebony simply left one day. She’d left a note, thanking us for everything and letting us know she was going to be traveling around the Etherium to spread our story to everyone. She felt like Griffin’s death shouldn’t go unnoticed, and she was going to make sure of it. Dad said his goodbyes as well, telling Gale and me how proud he was of us. We’d found each other, learned to trust each other, and saved him along with many other people. That left Gale. He’d stuck around for a while, getting to know the life I led, what I’d done. But I could see it in his eyes. He wanted to travel, and nothing could keep him in one place too long. I found him up on the roof of the house, staring up at the night sky. The stars lit brightly, becoming tiny gems in a blanket of darkness.
 
“It’s beautiful,” I whispered, sitting next to my brother.
 
“That it is, but I get the feeling you came to talk about more than just the view,” he answered with a smirk. I chuckled, remembered the argument that had ensued the last time a conversation started like this.
 
“Right. Listen, Gale… We’re both souls of the Etherium, free-spirited and willing to go wherever the winds take us. But a soul can’t soar if its heart is grounded. My place is on Montressor, Gale. And yours… well, yours in on a ship, sailing the skies. I’ll miss you, Wind. Just don’t forget about us.” Gale looked at me and smiled.
 
“Like I could forget you, Em.” He ruffled my hair, like one would expect of an older brother. I laughed, lightly slapping his hand away, and hugged him.
 
“Just make sure you come and visit every once in a while. After all, you’re going to be an uncle soon.” Gale raised an eyebrow at me.
 
“Really now?”
 
“I haven’t told Jim yet. I want to surprise him.”
 
“Congrats, Em. You’ll do great,” Gale said, smiling at me. There was silence between us as we stared up at the sky.
 
“I want to name her Siren,” I finally said.
 
“What?” My brother was obviously surprised.
 
“If it’s a girl, I want to name her Siren, in honor of your mother.”
 
“And if it’s a boy?” I smiled up at him.
 
“Then I’ll let Jim decide, but I get the feeling it’ll be a girl.”
 
“Thanks, Ember. That means a lot.” I leaned back on the roof, staring up at the night sky with a smile on my face. Unlocking the secrets of the keepsake from my father was definitely among the best things to ever happen to me. It led me to my brother.


© 2009 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on November 1, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka