Chapter 18

Chapter 18

A Chapter by Minyonka

“What?!” Ebony demanded. She pushed forward through us and glared into Griffin’s eyes. “Are you crazy?!” The rage emanating off her was potent and I felt as though it could physically knock me over.
 
“Come on. You don’t think I can hold ‘em off?” Griffin asked, that same smug look on his face.
 
“Griffin, stop it! This isn’t the time to try and get an ego boost! This is suicide!” Ari yelled.
 
“You don’t believe in me, Ari? That hurts.” The tone in his voice made it sound like he was still joking around.
 
“We aren’t leaving without you, Griffin,” I answered. “I don’t do that.”
 
“You gotta get your dad outta here. I’ll be fine. I’ll pick of these b******s and be out in five minutes.”
 
“Charon will kill you if you don’t get out of here now!” Gale yelled. I could tell he still had fear of that panther.
 
“That son of a b***h doesn’t stand a chance against me. I’ll put him in a coma like I did Pathos,” Griffin answered dismissively.
 
“Griffin,” Nyssa whispered.
 
“I won’t let you stay here to take them on alone!” Ari yelled.
 
“I’ll be fine. Now hurry up and get out of here. Ember and Gale’s dad is in pretty bad shape. You guys go on without me.” Glancing back at my father, who was barely conscious on Tobias’ back, I squeezed my eyes shut in displeasure of the decision that had to be made.
 
“We’ll come back once we get Dad on our ship,” I said sternly.
 
“Sure, sure. But don’t expect me back right away. God knows I’ve hung out with you guys long enough. I don’t think I can stand another minute. Besides, it’ll give me some time away from Ari’s f*****g projectiles.”
 
“Come back alive,” Ari said. Griffin gave a thumbs-up and waved us off. Running out of the room, I could only feel the anxiety of everyone in our group, Griffin included.

 
As Griffin heard the others running out of the room, he didn’t dare look back at them. It would break his concentration, his resolve. He knew something about this ship that the rest of them didn’t. It was probably because of his Absorption. He could feel the electricity pulsing through the self-destruct mechanism of the ship. He knew about the device the day he awoke on that damned ship. The only reason he didn’t set it off himself was because he knew it would kill not only himself, but the rest of the Elemental Children around him as well. His thoughts drifting to the others, Griffin couldn’t help but utter a bitter laugh. Ebony would be pissed. Having been stuck in that cell for so long, they’d become close. He was her closest friend, really, and she his. They’d become like brother and sister, and bickered like it too. Griffin didn’t want to think of how she’d be once this was over.
 
“Move it! They’re getting away!” Pathos roared. Griffin could hear him clearly through the metal door.
 
“Looks like the coma’s gone,” he muttered, stretching his arms out as far as they’d go. He knew how to kill Pathos once and for all. He would have to destroy every single part of that b*****d’s body. Griffin knew jus the way to do it: A super-charged explosion, one that would take out half the planet. He could do it, using his control over electricity, but it wouldn’t be pretty.
 
“Bust through that door now!” Pathos yelled. Again, Griffin uttered that bitter chuckle.
 
“Looks like this is it. Wonder how I’ll be remembered.” The door busted open and electricity flew from Griffin’s hands. “Survive this, you son of a b***h!”

 
As soon as we were back on the Argent, Willow covered her mouth with her hands and began crying.
 
“Griffin,” she sobbed.
 
My body tensed for a second before I ran up to the deck of the ship. Just as the others came up behind me, there was a monstrous explosion. Even as far away from the planet as we were, I could feel the heat radiating from it. What was left was only about half the planet. How had Griffin managed to do that? There was no way he could have survived. As that thought struck me, I covered my mouth with my hand and leaned on the edge of the ship for support.
 
“No,” I whispered. Griffin was gone, sacrificing himself for the rest of us.
 
“Griffin!” Ebony screamed, leaning past the side of the ship. Ari grabbed her arm to keep her from falling overboard. “Come back, you b*****d! You’re not supposed to go like this!”
 
She fell to the floor, crying hysterically. Willow cried into Tobias’ chest. Though he was still carrying my father on his back, he managed to wrap a comforting arm around her. Nyssa walked over and hugged Ebony as they both sobbed. I brushed away the tears forming in my eyes and remembered a time from when I was on the RLS Legacy. Captain Amelia had given a short speech for Mr. Arrow after his death. Griffin deserved at least that.
 
“Griffin was a… a strong young man, more so than many his age. He gave his life in order to save us, knowing fully the cost involved,” I started, but found myself choking up. As I tried to compose myself, Gale stepped forward.
 
“Griffin did what he knew he had to. He wanted our safety and knew the price was his life. He obviously thought it was worth it. He earned my respect.” I glanced at my brother and gave him a small smile. Gale didn’t trust easily, nor did he respect easily. We were much alike in that aspect, along with our stubborn nature.
 
“Mine too,” I added, running up to the bridge. I found my helmsman standing at his post, awaiting orders. “Mr. Philps, take us out of here.”
 
“Aye, aye, Cap’n,” he answered with a salute and we began sailing away.


© 2009 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on November 1, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka