Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Minyonka

Pathos walked down to the brig of his ship, a crooked smirk curling his canine lips. He was pleased with the results of his little ‘attack.’ Of course, he’d planned to slice right through Ember and Gale’s ship without caution. He would need to kill them in order to gain their powers anyway. He knew he would miss, though, and that Gale would be the reason why.
 
“I wouldn’t expect anything less,” Pathos murmured to himself as he picked up a lamp to carry down to the brig with him. He stopped in front of the old metal door of his most despised captive. “John Silver.” The old pirate captain glanced up from the back of his cell. He was weak, injured and dirty. Silver looked like death was knocking on his door.
 
“Come to yap again?” he asked obstinately. Even in his weakened state, he was still John Silver.
 
“I just saw your children and it seems as though they remember me. Your daughter seemed particularly disturbed by my presence.”
 
“Where are they?!”
 
“Unfortunately, not here yet. But if I know your son, they’ll be soon. After all, he has that power of knowledge.” Silver began struggling, pulling his arms away from the wall. His laser-tether stopped him before he could move far.
 
“Ya took Siren and Talia from me. Ya won’t take Em and Wind!”
 
“You can hardly blame me for a tightrope accident and pregnancy complications, John. And those children will be mine.” Silver growled as Pathos walked away, chuckling to himself. “After all, my collection of Elemental Children is nearly complete.”

 
I stared out across the deck, leaning on the railing of the bridge. Nothing could bring me at ease at the moment. Seeing Pathos alive and seemingly well was enough to shatter the already shaky foundation my life was built upon. Honestly, I was amazed I hadn’t completely broken down yet. I still had trouble getting past the idea that Pathos had already died twice. How did he do it?
 
“Ember,” Jim said from behind me, causing me to jump in surprise. “What’s going on inside your head?”
 
“I’ll let you know when I stop getting lost in it all,” I answered with a chuckle. Jim saw straight through my defense and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind.
 
“It’s going to be okay. You’ll see. We’ll find Silver and get him back.” His voice was soft, just barely breathed into my ear.
 
“And what about Pathos?”
 
“Then we’ll do what Gale said and kill him a third time.”
 
I chuckled softly and closed my eyes, allowing even the smallest comfort put me at ease. After a few minutes of standing wrapped in Jim’s arms, I gave him a kiss and walked down onto the deck. It was smooth sailing once again, now that Pathos had passed. Of course, I knew it would only get worse when we finally confronted him. For the time being, though, I was content. I climbed into the rigging, resting on the lower-main yard, my legs dangling on either side of it. I leaned back to rest against the mast and closed my eyes. I probably would have fallen asleep if it wasn’t for the feeling that I wasn’t alone up there. I started to sit up, glancing around me.
 
“It’s just me,” Gale said in a bored tone and I turned to see him on the other side of the mast. I leaned back again and had the feeling he was contemplating something. What that could have been was beyond me, though.
 
“What are you doing up here, Gale?” I asked, closing my eyes again.
 
“Clearing my head. You?”
 
“Same.” I was surprised. This was our first conversation that hadn’t involved bickering, yelling or compromising in the first few sentences. It was pretty silent after that, though, and I could feel myself drifting off.
 
“Why did you do it?” Gale finally asked and I jumped slightly, waking up again.
 
“Do what?” I asked.
 
“Choose to trust me.”
 
I looked down at my lap and thought over his question. I could understand why he’d be wondering such a thing. After all, we’d been arguing earlier that day. But I knew the answer ‘because I do’ wouldn’t suffice. Gale liked to have tangible answers as well as intangible ones.
 
“It’s more than just one thing, really. For one thing, you’re just as dedicated to finding Dad as I am. That shows me that you’re not going to give up when things get tough. And then today, when Pathos came, you could have easily abandoned us to save your own life. But you didn’t. You steered us out of harms way. The third reason is a little more difficult to explain, but there’s just something about you. I don’t know what it is, but I feel as though most of what you do is with the best of intentions. I don’t’ know. I’ve always been good at reading people and that’s just what I get form you. You’re a good guy, Gale,” I said, finally finding the words to answer him.
 
“Even though I shot at your husband?”
 
“I never said I agreed with your methods.” Both of us started laughing and I felt as though I’d finally made a break-through.
 
“Thanks, Em,” Gale said and swung down to the deck. As I watched him walk off, I couldn’t help but wonder if I had been able to get him to trust me like I did him.


© 2009 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on November 1, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka