Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Minyonka

My heart and mind were racing as my boots pounded on the floorboards of the deck. I couldn’t focus on one thing for long. Between seeing Pathos, Gale’s gunshot and my desire to make sure Jim was safe, I was a nervous wreck. Pathos’ face kept flashing into my mind and I could clearly see that cruel, wicked grin. It seemed as if this sighting was only a warning, like he was giving a friendly greeting but with a subtle threat attached. That scared me more than seeing a dead man walking. I skipped the stairs up to the helm and glanced around, running to Jim first.
 
“You’re okay, right?!” I asked frantically, my hands shaking as I looked him over.
 
“I’m fine, Ember,” he answered calmly.
 
“Thank heavens. I don’t know how this could’ve happened. I mean-” I was struck by one more thought and whirled around to face Gale. “You!!! What in the Etherium were you thinking?!
 
“I had to avoid them!” my brother defended.
 
“So you shot at my husband and helmsman?! Are you crazy?!”
 
“They wouldn’t let me get us out of the way! He was going to ram us if we didn’t move! He would have gone straight through the ship and killed us all! I didn’t even shoot at them!”
 
“I don’t care that you didn’t shoot directly at them! What if something happened and you hit one of them?!”
 
“I wasn’t going to! You’re over-”
 
“Shut up! Don’t tell me I’m overreacting, okay! You didn’t see what I saw!” The rage in Gale’s blood-red eyes matched my own. I knew one of us was bound to snap and when we did, it wouldn’t be pretty. Our fists were clenched tightly and I wanted to punch him, more so than I had ever wanted before in my life.
 
“And what did you see?!” Gale demanded.
 
“A man that I saw die nine years ago! I ordered his death.” Gale looked somewhat surprised, like he hadn’t expected me to do such a thing, especially since I said I ordered someone to die when I was at the tender age of ten.
 
“Ember,” Jim said softly from behind me and I turned back around to face him. “Who was he?”
 
“His name is Pathos and I killed him indirectly when I was ten years old.”
 
“That’s not possible,” Gale said sternly and I glanced back at him.”
 
“And why not?”
 
“Because I killed him ten years ago, by my own hand.” I took a step back in shock and covered my mouth. Had I heard him correctly? How could it have been possible, though? How could Pathos have died twice?
 
“W-What did you say?” I asked, my voice barely audible.
 
“I killed Pathos ten years ago, when I was nine years old.”
 
“But how is that possible?”
 
“He couldn’t have come back to life, least of all twice,” Jim said, trying to make sense of the situation. “Are you sure it’s the same guy and that he was really dead?”
 
“I watched Mr. Scroop behead him with his claws, in cold blood. I could never forget his face. He was standing on the bridge of that ship and gave me the same twisted grin he had when I watched him die,” I answered. Jim started to say more, but I held up a hand to stop him, seeing Romulus and Remus coming up to the quarterdeck.
 
“Cap’n, they don’t appear to be following us, “Romulus informed me.
 
“Good.” I walked just past the helm, so the ship’s crew would hear me better. “Resume your posts, men!” Romulus and Remus saluted me and left the quarterdeck.
 
“We should continue this conversation privately,” Gale said, glancing pointedly at the helmsman. I nodded and turned to the man.
 
“Mr. Philps, you will not speak to anyone of this conversation. Do I make myself clear?” I growled.
 
“Aye, Cap’n,” he answered nervously. Jim, Gale and I entered my private quarters and Morph flew into my face, chattering in a terrified way. He transformed into a perfect miniature of Pathos and Gale slapped his hand down on the shape-shifter. I glared at my brother and took Morph in my hands.
 
“I know, Morphy. I know,” I whispered gently.
 
“What are we going to do about this?” Jim asked, sitting on the couch with his head in his hand. Gale leaned against the wall and I sat at my desk with Morph in my hands.
 
“I don’t know. I never thought I’d have to see him after that day.”
 
“He’s here now,” Gale said. “And if he gets in our way, I’ll kill him a third time.” I threw a confused glance his way. What made him think Pathos would stand in our way of finding our father? Was there something more that I didn’t understand? Shaking the thought away, I stared down at my desk. This was all too much to take in.
 
“I agree,” I mumbled. “Gale, I need to ask you this. How did you kill Pathos ten years ago? Are you sure he died that day?”
 
“I don’t remember how many times I shot him; at least ten. Two went through his head and three through his chest. I made sure he was dead.”
 
“How old did you say you were?!” Jim asked in shock.
 
“Nine years. I’m a pirate, remember? I don’t see why that’s so surprising.”
 
“Was your mother like us? A pirate?” I asked gently.
 
“No. And don’t ask about her again.” The slight growl in my brother’s tone was more than enough to let me know he’d snap if I pried any further. I put my hands up in the universal peace-keeping gesture.
 
“Right. Taboo subject. Won’t bring it up again. We’re just going to focus on finding Dad.”
 
“Then we should start by following Pathos,” Gale answered.
 
“You really are crazy!” Jim yelled. “Didn’t you just say he was going to ram us and now you want to follow him?!”
 
“No, Jim. He’s right. If Pathos is back, then it’s a safe bet that he has something to do with this,” I said and turned to Gale. He had saved my crew, my husband and me, and, though I didn’t agree with his methods for doing so, I was grateful. He could have easily taken a longboat and left us to die. “I trust you.” My brother gave me a surprised look and then smirked.


© 2009 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on November 1, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka