Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Minyonka

“What are the odds of coming across pirates so early in a voyage?” Jim asked as he ran alongside me.
 
“Pretty low,” I answered and pulled myself into the shrouds. I hurried up into the rigging, making my way to the crow’s-nest in a matter of minutes. “Mr. Onus, where are they coming from?”
 
“Straight ahead. Zey’re coming right at us, Capteen,” he answered, pointing a tentacle ahead. I followed the gesture to see a ship about the size of ours. Mr. Onus was right; they were headed straight towards us.
 
“Damn. Mr. Onus, keep watch on it. We’re going to try and avoid them. If they continue to come at us, let me know.”
 
“Aye, aye.” I lowered myself back down to the deck, swinging from various ropes on my way, and landed solidly. I couldn’t help but smirk as I ran across the deck. When I was still the first mate of my father’s ship, I’d never been able to move that confidently through the rigging. Now, it was second-nature. I spotted Gale leaning out past the shrouds and ran up to him.
 
“Gale, what are you doing?” I asked. He didn’t answer me and, instead, ran up the stairs leading to the quarter deck. That was where the helm was located. “Gale, don’t!” Either he didn’t hear me or chose not to, because he merely continued up towards the helm. I scowled, but was unable to follow him. I needed to keep everyone at their stations while we tried to pass this ship. I could only hope Gale wouldn’t steer us into disaster.
 
“Ember!” Jim called as he ran up to me.
 
“Jim, go to the helm and make sure Gale’s not trying to take over our course.”
 
“Right.”
 
Jim ran past me while I continued across the deck, taking a seat at one of the laser cannons. The ship was pulled sharply to the left and I was almost thrown out of my chair. I could only pray Jim and Gale weren’t fighting over the wheel. If so, I was afraid I’d lose Jim to the barrel of a gun. I heard a gunshot and my heart stopped, as did my breath. I turned my head towards the quarterdeck in time to see the laser that was shot into the air disappear. I sighed softly and turned my attention back towards the ship headed our way, making a mental note to yell at Gale later. We took another sharp left, turning even farther away from the other pirates. I gritted my teeth and held onto the cannon as tight as I could.
 
Once we steadied, I slowly began aiming my laser cannon at the oncoming ship, waiting for them to come within range. They passed us on the starboards side and I could clearly see the captain standing on the bridge. He was a tall, muscular Canid man and looked vaguely like a wolf. His fur was rusty brown and he wore a blue jacket. He saw me as well and gave me a cruel grin, where I could see three golden teeth. My eyes widened in shock and fear struck me like lightning as I immediately recognized the man.
 
“No,” I whispered.

 
Gale held the wheel tightly in his grasp as Jim and the new helmsman, Mr. Philps, stood back and out of his way. He’d already fired off his gun once and they didn’t want to test him. Gale watched the other ship pass by, keeping a sharp eye on it.
 
“Why hasn’t she fired yet?” he hissed. Then, he saw the captain of the other ship. The face was one he would never forget. Shock and anger coursed through Gale’s veins. He and his sister both knew the man and said his name in unison.
 
“Pathos.” The pirate ship passed by without incident, leaving the two siblings to wonder what that man was doing, still alive.


© 2009 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on November 1, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka