Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Minyonka

It had been almost two weeks since then. Gale was much more willing to cooperate with the crew, myself and Jim included. It seemed as though he really enjoyed being on a ship, more than anything else I’d seen him do. Jim had noticed the difference in my brother’s attitude as well. Of course, Gale still had a short temper, but he kept it under control for the most part. Pulling myself out of my musings, I glanced up from my desk in time to see Gale punch the wall of my stateroom. Now was not one of those ‘under control’ moments.
 
“We need to act now!” my brother yelled.
 
“We know nothing about the guy we’re following,” Jim pointed out, exasperated. The two of them had been arguing like this for a while, which is why I had tuned them out.
 
“I know enough about him and I’m sure Ember does too! We know him! We’ve killed him!”
 
“And he’s back. You obviously didn’t plan on that.”
 
“Last I checked, people only die once!”
 
“Apparently he doesn’t. What species is he?”
 
“Lupine-Canid,” I answered, causing the two men in the room to turn abruptly towards me. I hadn’t spoken at all until that point. “He should die only once. I don’t know how he’s breaking that rule, though.”
 
“What are we going to do about him?” Jim asked.
 
“Just as Gale said. We’re going to take action.”
 
“What?!”
 
“I told you, it’s the only way,” Gale said with a smirk, crossing his arms over his chest.
 
“‘I told you so’ has a twin brother, Gale. His name is ‘Shut the hell up’!”
 
“Jim, calm down,” I said softly. We’re not attacking anyone. Gale and I are going to sneak onto his ship and look around. We won’t be starting any fights.”
 
“Why not?! He deserves it!” Gale yelled. At the same time, Jim demanded, “Are you crazy?!”
 
“Gale and I know Pathos. We’re best suited for this recon mission. Gale, we’re not attacking first because we need to find out if he knows anything about our father. Then, we can call for backup and tear his ship apart.”
 
“I can live with that,” my brother answered.
 
“Ember, I can’t let you do this,” Jim protested.
 
“You need to stay here and run this ship. We’ll be fine, I promise,” I answered, my expression soft.
 
“I won’t let anything happen to her. She’s my blood,” Gale insisted.
 
“We’re going tonight, whether you like it or not, Jim. All I can ask is that you please take care of my crew.”
 
“Right. Nightfall’s in a few hours. You two should start preparing,” Jim answered.
 
“Thank you,” I whispered and stood.
 
“And Ember.” I turned around to face him. “Please, be careful.” I threw my arms around my husband’s neck and kissed him deeply.
 
“You know I will.”

 
In the shroud of the night, Gale and I loaded into one of the longboats. We each had two guns, though I prayed we wouldn’t need them. After lowering the longboats from the hull of the ship, Gale started up the engine and directed us towards Pathos’ ship, the Aurum. The boat moved swiftly and silently, thanks to Gale’s handling on the steering. Once we came up to the side of the Aurum, Gale and I checked for any members of the crew before hopping on-board.
 
“We’ll check the brig first,” I whispered and motioned towards the stairs leading into the belly of the ship.
 
Gale nodded and we began walking in the shadows, slowly making our way over to the entrance of the stairwell. Going down into the brig, I couldn’t help but notice every sound around me. Everything was pitch black and I could barely see a thing. Around a corner, we could see a dim red light, though. Gale pressed a finger to his lips and we crept along the wall. After glancing around the corner, he walked out from behind it and down towards one of the cells. I followed after him, my hand resting on one of the guns at my belt. Gale stopped in front of the cell at the end of the hall and clenched his fists. We’d hit a dead-end. I walked up beside him and glanced inside the cell. What I saw made me realized why he was so angry.
 
“Those monsters,” Gale hissed beside me, rage coming off of him in waves.
 
Inside the cell was the strongest man I’d ever known. He looked frail and sickly. He seemed emaciated compared to how I was used to seeing him. Had he been fed at all? How long had be been here? I could see the laser-tether cuffs around his wrists, both the metal and the organic one. His mechanical arm hung useless, like it had somehow been disabled. My father’s eyes were closed and for a brief moment, I feared he had died, until I saw the slow rise and fall of his stomach. I covered my mouth with my hand, holding back tears. It killed me to see him so broken.
 
“Dad,” I whispered, my voice breaking. He slowly opened his eyes and I realized he must have been in a half-sleeping daze; he’d always been a heavy sleeper. Dad’s eyes widened in shock when he realized who was standing before him.
 
“Wind? Em?” His voice was hushed. “What’re ya doin’ here? Run.” I shook my head, tears falling from my eyes. I was angry and sad all at the same time. Beside me, Gale was trembling with rage. I knew we had to get our father out of there, and now.
 
“It seems my collection is finally complete,” a slightly ragged, baritone voice said from behind me. Gale and I whirled around to see Pathos standing there, a smug grin on his lips.
 
“Pathos,” Gale spat and pulled his guns on the Canid before us in under a second.
 
“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, Gale. Someone might get hurt.” I glanced around to see guns pointed at us from every cell, but for the one our father was in. It was a trap, and we walked right into it. Gale pushed me behind himself, still pointing his guns at Pathos.
 
“Don’t do anything stupid,” I whispered in his ear.
 
He nodded ever-so slightly, but didn’t move otherwise. I didn’t know how we were going to get out of this. We were vastly outnumbered, on an enemy’s ship. I heard three shots fire and jumped in surprise. The next thing I knew, Gale hit the floor with a sickening thud. My hair was flying from the static given off by an Electric Pulse gun, and I knew he’d only been knocked unconscious. I whipped out one of my guns and pulled the trigger. I was hit by two EP shots before my finger even fully retracted. My body fell and everything went black.


© 2009 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on November 1, 2009


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka