Ch. 4

Ch. 4

A Chapter by Havatara

“What are you?” Michael repeated, this time more softly. Rosemary was still staring at the ceiling, but then her eyes drifted to Michael.

“I can’t tell you exactly what yet, but I can tell you that it’s a hard thing to hide. I want to do things that humans don’t do, and since I pretend to be human, I can’t do those things. I struggle, and it gets more difficult with every waking moment. I can’t go to sleep to shake it off. When I close my eyes, I picture my old life. I can’t tell you what I am,” Rosemary replied.

Michael thought for a moment. Then he stood up and went to sit next to Rosemary. He sat without speaking for a few minutes, contemplating on what to say, until he finally said, “Please tell me. I won’t tell anyone. I promise.”

“You will. I know you will. But, I guess that I’m done hiding. I can’t hide anymore. People are after me, and I need people to know so they won’t die along with me, if they catch me. I’m a vampire. I bloodsucking, fanged vampire. That’s what I am. You can tell everyone. I don’t care anymore,” Rosemary replied.

Michael blinked a few times, and then he looked at Rosemary questioningly. Soon after, seeing as he finally came to believe her, he passed out.

“Michael! Michael, what’s wrong! Michael!” Rosemary cried. She shook him hard, until he finally came around.

“Are you serious? You’re really a vampire? Why haven’t you killed me yet, if you are?” Michael asked, still a bit groggy.

“I’m not like Veripema. I’m a good vampire. I’ve given up drinking the blood of humans. I haven’t had it in so long, I don’t even remember the taste. I swear I don’t.”

“Promise?” Michael asked, still suspicious that she was lying.

“Yes. But we have to hurry. I have to change into a nurse’s costume, and then I have to rip your clothes. I’ve thought it out. I’ll pretend to be a nurse, and you pretend to be homeless. It’ll work. We have to stay here a little while longer.”

“What?!” Michael asked.

“We can’t leave. Veripema will find us. She likes your smell. You smell good to her. She almost killed you there. She was going to drain you of all your blood. I can’t leave either. I have to protect you, and I have to hide from her, too.”

“Why do you have to hide? You’re a vampire just like her.”

“But she’s reincarnated all ready. She’s lived longer than me. She’s also stronger than me. I’m nothing against her, except I’m faster,” replied Rosemary.

“What do you mean by ‘reincarnated?’ ” Michael asked.

Rosemary sighed, then replied, “Every 1,000 years, vampires reincarnate. They restart life. That man that barged into the room, he’s 1,017 years old. I haven’t reincarnated yet. I’m only 14, not 1,014.”

Michael sat and wondered what it would be like to live over a thousand years, shook his head, got up, and faced away from Rosemary.

“What are you doing?” Rosemary asked.

“Well, you said you needed to dress like a nurse. You better get started. I’m mildly claustrophobic,” said Michael.

“Oh, right.” Rosemary dug through some boxes until she found what she was looking for: a nurses costume that didn’t have the church name on it. She quickly got dressed. When she was done, she tapped Michael on the shoulder.

“Well? You ready to look homeless?” Rosemary asked.

“I think I all ready am,” Michael replied, thinking that Rosemary looked ugly in the costume.

“Just shut up. I can’t look that bad. Besides. I’m a vampire. We naturally don’t look good it white. Now. Give me your jacket.”

Michael struggle out of his jacket and handed it to Rosemary. She took out her claws and made a huge rip in the back. She then set it on the floor and stomped on it. She picked up some dust and threw it at Michael.

“Hey! What are you doing?” he yelled.

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m making you look as ugly as you think I look! Now be quiet! We’ll grab attention!” Rosemary took more dirt and put it on Michael's forehead.

“There. Now you look like you’ve been living off the streets,” said Rosemary. She stood back and looked at her work.

“Let’s go, if you’re ready,” said Michael impatiently.

“Not quite,” said Rosemary. She took out her claws again and cut Michael’s arm.

“Hey! What did you do that for?!” Michael yelled.

“We need a reason for us to stay, don’t we? This is the reason. Now move. We’re getting out of this closet, seeing as you’re mildly claustrophobic, which I highly doubt,” said Rosemary. She shoved the door open, picked up Michael, and started running.

Once they were around another corner, Rosemary yelled, “Help! Help! This boy’s arm is bleeding! Help!”

A woman came running towards them. Then the woman said, “What happened to him?”

“We don’t know! It happened so fast. Please, just help us. I’m Rosemary. I just started training at the clinic. I’m not quite yet able to help him. This homeless boy, Michael, we bumped into each other and then it just happened,” said Rosemary. The nurse escorted them to the Clinical Wing and found Michael a bed.

“We have to get this bleeding to stop. Good thing I know a good stitch that will fix this right up. This looks pretty deep. What happened?”

“We don’t know. It was just all too fast. Where are we? This looks familiar,” said Rosemary.

“We are in the Church of Our Lady of the Snows. You should have heard of this. Most people in Prague do know. Very important church. Yes. We, dear, can you get me those threads over there? No, a bit more than that. I think I’ll have to make quite a few stitches.”

“How bad is it?” Michael asked.

“It’s pretty bad, dear. You might have to stay here for a while. We have good hospitality. Almost done, now. We’ll get you all fixed up, don’t you worry. By they way, I’m Sister Mary Jo. I’m the assisstant doctor here. Dr. Ogg is very good. All done! How does that feel?”

“It hurts a bit, but I think I’ll be okay. How long do you think we’ll be here? I hope not too long,” said Michael.

“Why not? This seems like a very nice place to stay,” said Rosemary.

“This is a very nice place to stay. You’ll be very comfortable in your ten days. We might have to have you stay two weeks, though. Those wounds are deep. I’ll leave you alone now.”

Once Sister Mary Jo was gone, Michael hissed, “Two weeks! How am I ever going to explain this to my parents? But this is how you wanted it, isn’t it? This is perfect for you vampires.”

“Sush! I only told you because I had to. Don’t spread it around here. Yes. It works out fine. We have to hide. Your parents will never know. I know a way. They won’t even know you were gone,” said Rosemary.

“Does it include any bloodsucking?” Michael asked.

“No. But it does involve the prick of a finger. But that’s it. Nothing else. We’ll need one drop of each of their blood, and two drops of yours. That’s all.”

Michael sat back grumpily.

“Were you serious about this place being familiar?” Michael asked after some time passed.

Rosemary went whiter than usual. Then she admitted, “Yes.”

“How would it?” Michael asked.

Rosemary went another shade whiter, almost looking like a china doll now. Then she said, “I was born here.”

Michael spit out the juice he was drinking.

“What?!”


© 2010 Havatara


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on January 18, 2010
Last Updated on January 18, 2010


Author

Havatara
Havatara

The Town That Moved, St. Louis County, MN (aka Hicksville), MN



About
My birthday is November 12, 1994. I was born and raised in Minnesota and am loving it, despite the mosquitoes and the six month winter. It would be AMAZING if you reviewed something of mine if I r.. more..

Writing
Me and You Me and You

A Poem by Havatara


Nightdemons Nightdemons

A Poem by Havatara