Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Heartful5160

Chapter One


  “Do you want to go and see this movie this weekend?” my boyfriend, Jake asked.

“What movie? Is it a new one that just came out?” I asked.

“ Yeah. It’s called, Caring for Nautingdale.”

“Babe is it a love movie?”

“ Yeah. I mean I thought you liked those kind of movies,” he looked down at me, “ Don’t you?” he wondered.

“ Yes. Especially if I get to watch them with you,” I blushed. He reached down and held my face in his hands. His lips were like they were glued to mine. They were the taste of the Veuve Clicquot Champagne that we were sipping, out on the front porch. Once, he detached from me, I grabbed his hand, “ I believe that it’s time for us to go and join the family, back in the house, don’t you think?” I asked.

“ Yeah,” he grabbed my hand in return and I could feel the love through the squeeze and the way he gripped my hand. All out of love!

       

   When we got back in the house, everyone was gathered in the living room. They were laughing and just enjoying each other’s company. We were having a get together for my parents 30th anniversary. They were together for thirty straight years! True love, folks! I began to sat down on the couch next to my sister, Taylor, until my mother called me into the kitchen,

“ Karenile, can you come help me with the dishes in here?” she asked. I got up from the couch and walked in the kitchen to see her all alone, with the apron wrapped her waist. “ Mom, how come Jessica or Hannah aren't in here helping you too?” I asked. I picked up a plate and placed it in the dishwasher. I stood back and waited for her to finish washing off the next plate. She turned the water faucet off and looked at me, “ Look, Karenile I don’t know how to say this,” from there I started to get nervous. I don’t think that always mean something good, right?

“What mom?” I asked, nervously.

“ Well, I haven’t told anyone else this, but the reason why I’m not really communicating with anyone is because I’m seeing someone else,” she explained.

“ What?” I said.

“ Yeah, I know. I know that’s something you don’t want to hear. I’m sorry. Me and your dad, honey our marriage is falling apart, slowly but surely.”

“ Does he know?”

“ No, of course not.”

“ Are you planning on telling him?”

“ Well yeah, at some time. I just don’t know when and how to tell him.”

“ Mom, who’s the guy?”

“ The guy down the street,” she said.

“ The guy down the street? I mean come on, mom! You could have picked some guy at work or something, but the guy down the street? A neighbor? Mom, come on.”

“ I know, I know. Just don’t say anything, yet. I just need to find the right time to tell him.”

“Why though?” I wondered.

“ Because I rather not say anything. Honestly, it’s going to be hard to do this, Karenile. To escape.”

“What exactly do you mean to escape? Is he beating you and you’re not telling me that?”

“ I’m not saying anything,” she turned back to turn on the faucet and she finished washing off the last one that was laying on the counter. She placed her hand on the faucet and turned it off. I shut the dishwasher, “ Mom, I really don’t want you to leave, Dad” I begged.

“ I have to. You don’t understand.”

“ I’m trying and I guess it’s just not coming together for me, huh?”

“Trust me on this, please, Karenile.” I turned around and left the kitchen with anger flying through my body. It kept everything I had to not say anything, while I walked past the living room.

        I walked out onto the porch and sat in the swinging bench that’s always been there ever since I was a little girl. Many stories and experiences were told on this exact swing. From my grandparents that are now passed and gone, but to a better place, to me and my sisters secrets we always shared right here. We thought since we could share them outside, no one could hear what we were saying, but the flowers and we knew that flowers could never talk, so we trusted them. I started to move my legs to get the swing moving and I took a glance at the sky. It was a beautiful dark night with only several stars shining, to keep me company. God knew I would be quite lonely in my feelings tonight, so He gave me the stars to look at. The sound of the door opening and shutting behind Jake distracted me from the thoughts that were going through my head. He came and sat down next to me and he grabbed my hand and he clutched my hand with the love that he always kept inside just for me. “ Tonight is beautiful isn't it?” I asked, while looking up in the sky again, trying to reconnect with the moment I just left, trying to get my mind off on how to tell Jake the real reason why I’m out here.

“ Most defiantly. That’s one thing I love about the country, you know. In the city you can’t really look into the sky and see all the twinkling stars, because the lights shining everywhere,” he explained.

“ I know. Are you ready to go back home tomorrow?”

“ Not really. I don’t want to leave you.”

“ Baby, we always see each other.”

“ I know, but you know it’s different from seeing you on Skype than in person and anyone can agree with me on that statement, babe,” he spoke.

“ I know. We’ll see each other in another week. I’m almost done with school. And when I am, I’m going to move to the city with you. Look, we already talked about this, Jake.”

“ I know we have, but it’s like I don’t want you to forget.”

“ How could I forget that, babe?” I questioned him.

“ I don’t know. But anyways, why are you out here instead of in there with your family?”

“ Because.” He turned towards me. A tear started to fall down my cheek. I didn't want my parents to break apart. I wanted them to be together, until they died, but I guess that wish is out the window, huh? I shook my head at him. I kept staring up at the sky, hoping that a shooting star would fly across the sky so one it could distract him away from the topic and two so that I could get my wish of my parents staying together. I felt his soft hand reach my face and he wiped my tear. “ Karenile, you can tell me and you know that. Remember when we made each other that promise? The promise to tell each other everything, because we said that we would be each other’s best friend. We made that promise when we were only in the eighth grade and I still remember that to this day, because you know what? That’s a promise worth keeping.”

   I couldn't believe that he actually remembered that. I remember that day like it was yesterday. A day I would never forget. We were sitting on the bench and he told me that no matter what happens to either of us that he would always be my best friend. That we would tell each other everything no matter the circumstances. I looked at him in the eyes, “ They can’t. Not now.”

“ What? Who?” he asked.

“ My mom told me that she wants to divorce my dad. She’s seeing a guy down the street,” I explained.

“ What?”

“Yeah, I know. A guy down the street. A neighbor. I mean why, though? And the thing that bothers me the most is that she wants to inform me about this on their 30th anniversary. Jake, I just feel like my life is falling apart,” and from there, the tears started pouring down my cheeks. He pulled me near him and into his warming and comforting arms and held me.  “It’ll be ok, baby. I’m here for you. You have to be strong for me and for your mom.” I looked up at him, “ How can I can be strong, huh? My parents are getting a divorce and I mean how am I even going to be seeing them at the same time, especially if I move off to the city with you?”

“You can stay here,” he pointed out.

“ But it’s half and half. Half of me wants to stay here and half of me wants to go with you.”

“ Do what’s best. Don’t do what would be better for me. This is about you and your family.”

“ I know.” I shook my head and from there I detached from him and walked to the car and got in the passenger side. I look out the windshield and I see that he’s followed me. He got in the car and the silence I was looking for was broken by his voice, “ So, you just want to leave?” he asked.

“ Yeah. Pretty much. If you want to stay you can, I’m sure Taylor wouldn't mind driving you back to my house,” I said.

“ Karenile, why don’t you want to go say goodbye?” he wondered.

“ What’s the use? I mean if I go back in there it would be the last time I would see everyone actually happy and enjoying the presence of everyone else. The last family get together, even when I know that what's going on in there, is nothing but fake emotions. Fake smiles. Why would I want to be around that? Why would I want surround myself with that, Jake?” I pulled the seat belt over my shoulder, “ Now, are you staying or coming with?” I asked.  He pulled the keys out of the front pocket of his jeans and put them in the ignition.


      As were backing out of the driveway and heading down the street, we pass the neighbors house. The neighbor that my mom is seeing and loving, instead of my dad. I was furious I can’t lie. “ Don’t think about it so much,” Jake added.

“How can I not, Jake? Don’t tell me that if your parents weren't going to get a divorce that wouldn't be the first thing on your mind?”

“ I know babe, but you just have to think that if you’re mom’s not happy, then she’s not happy. I mean you can’t really do anything.”

“ I can try.”

“ You can’t ,Karenile. Yes, they once had a spark, where at one time everything that we’re feeling right now is what they felt. They felt that they could rule the world with their love,” Like us,” I interrupted. “ Right, like us. But, look, the spark must have left their relationship. They just don’t feel it anymore,” he explained.

“ I know, but I guess I just don’t want to see them apart.”


      We pulled up in my own driveway and we got out the car. Once, we got out of the car and got in the house I went straight to my room and got ready for bed and of course Jake followed. I got into bed with my silk pajamas on and cuddled under the covers. Thoughts never did come to a hault in my head. Actually it got worse. Tears started streaming down my face and onto the pillow. I tried to keep it quiet, but I felt Jake's hand on my arm, “It’s going to be OK,” he said.

“ I’m trying to keep it off my head,” my voice was getting weary and dry, “ It just won’t leave. Is this reality, Jake?”

“ Yes, Karenile. I wish it wasn't, but it is,” he replied. I turned over and faced him. I saw the care in his eyes. Something that was always there every time I needed it. He laid himself back down on his back and I placed my head on his chest with my hand resting on his chest. From there I fell asleep with the last tear landing on his chest.



           I woke up to the sound of the buzzer on the alarm clock that was laying beside me on the bedside table. I pounded the snooze button and rolled back over. “ You know I have a plane to catch. Can’t keep me here forever even though you would like to,” he joked.

“ I know and what time again?”

“ At noon.”

“ You mean we can’t lay here for another hour?” I asked.

“ Nope. No can do, babe. I gotta pack and get myself ready.” He reached down for a kiss and he got up out of the ruffled up covers. I watched him put on a shirt and walked to the bathroom. I got myself up and grabbed my robe off the floor and wrapped it around my body that seemed to feel cold. I strolled into the bathroom and I saw Jake in the shower, so I thought since he’s in the shower I’ll go in the kitchen and fix him a nice breakfast. A real southern breakfast. Something that he knows he can’t get up there in New York City.



       I walked downstairs and started to get breakfast together for us two. Fixed a fresh pot of coffee. Him leaving kind of took my mind off my parents separating. Like what am I going to do here by myself, now that he’s living for a bit, again? Jake comes and stays with me when he can, which means that he has a very busy business life up there in New York. He comes down here to see me and visit me and to just spend time with my family and me. He says that he wants to get married some day, but I don’t know. I hope it’s not right now. I’m going through too much now. Don’t think I could handle it, “ Smells great,” there he went again, distracting me from my deep thoughts, “ What are you cooking up over there?” he asked. I looked up from the eggs I just got done flipping around, “A good ole’ southern breakfast for you,” I replied.

“For me?”

“Yeah. I have coffee brewing for you, as well. Do you want some?”

“ Yeah. I’ll fix it.”

“ OK, help yourself, babe.”

He walked over to the coffee pot and he poured him a cup, “ How are you this morning?” he asked.

“ Good. You know it’s gonna be there still, but I’m trying to think otherwise.” I got out plates for us and piled the food on. I placed them on the kitchen table and we sat down together and said grace.

“ Would you like to say it or me?” Jake asked.

“ I would like to say it,” I replied, “ God, if all of this is apart of Your plan then give me the strength to make it through these rough waters. God, get Jake back to New York safely and in Your hands. Thank you for this food that wouldn't be here without you, Lord. In Jesus’s name, amen.” I looked up at Jake and after we said grace, he dug in. “ Someone was hungry,” I pointed out.

“ Um, yeah. I don’t know what it is, after I take a shower, it makes me hungry.”

“ Same here. After I take a shower, I feel like I could eat a whole buffet.”

He took a bite out of the eggs, “ Honey, these are great. Nothing compared to New York styled eggs. You know what you’re doing, babe.”

“ Thank you.”

      After, Jake helped me with the dishes he asked me if I would like to go down to my favorite place, the river. That’s something he would never forget. We usually go there every time, before he leaves again. “ Sure. I just need to get ready,” I informed him.

“ Here I’ll finish that up for you,” he grabbed the plates out of my hands and he started to take over the battle of the dish washing.

    I rushed upstairs and started to get ready and I heard my phone start ringing on the charger. I ran to detach it from the charger, “ Hello?” I answered.

“ Hey, it’s your mom,” my mom said through the phone.

“ Why are you calling from a different number, mom?” I asked. She had sounded like she had been running or something. She was gasping for air it seemed like. “ Why mom?” I wasn't getting a response, so I started freaking out myself. I myself started gasping for air.

“ I’m at Greg’s house right now,” she said in between breathes.

“ Who’s Greg?” I asked.

“ The guy I’m seeing.” 

“ Right,” I said with depression.

“ Listen Karenile, I’m here because your father hit me. I had to get out as fast as I could. I can’t stay there no longer than I have to,” she explained to me.

“ Dad couldn't have hit you, mom,” I debated.

“ He did. Believe me or not, but he did, so I’m over at Greg’s house.”

“ Does dad know you’re there?”

“ No. I had to run. He doesn't know anything about Greg and I don’t want him to, do you understand?”

“ Yeah, sure.” Really inside I couldn't hold it in. I had to find a good time to get dad alone and ask his side of the story. May be when Jake leaves, me and dad can go and grab dinner with each other.

“ Look mom, I’m glad to hear that you’re OK, but I have to go. Me and Jake have somewhere to be. Be safe. Love you,” I hung up the phone. I didn't know if I could just believe anything that was coming over the receiver. Dad would never hit my mom! There’s just no way!


© 2015 Heartful5160


Author's Note

Heartful5160
Please enjoy! Future chapters to come!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very excellent opening chapter!! I like the storyline you have began, and the main character seems very intriguing. Her family seems very broken too, and I'm eager to read how you are going to progress the story. A couple of suggestions though. First, I would highly recommend indenting. That is more of a nit-picky thing, but it just seems to look and flow better. Second, I would recommend adding a little more to the dialogue sections, and by that I mean something like inner thoughts or descriptions about what they are doing while they are talking (something besides just the dialogue). For example, in the part where the main character is talking to her mom, it got a little confusing on who was talking, and it seems to flow better when authors using more description between dialogue. Overall, though, this was a really good first chapter! Great piece!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Heartful5160

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much...Thank you for the wonderful tips. I'm going to use them to the best of my abilit.. read more
Wow. A very strong opening chapter. You create storyline, sad situation and good characters. Hard for kids to understand the actions of parent sometimes? You brought me in and I like how you are setting up the story. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Heartful5160

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the kind review...there are six more chapters that you should check out if you.. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome. I will return and read more. Please send read requests.
Heartful5160

8 Years Ago

Oh most defiantly.....thank you for checking out my work!!!
I have read all the 3 chapters and the following things i want you to improve upon...

use simple yet effective language, there were many a times when i lost track of what was going because there were so many loops. Next..make your expression better but not direct, let me give you an example that when in this story you entered in the kitchen after your mom called and then she told you all that but it could have been much interesting if you have incorporated that "we were just having a good time when i heard a sound of breaking of a glass. I quickly rushed into the kitchen. "Mom are you okey?....and..so on . See the moto is that the reader should be on his toes of what is coming next in the story And for that YOU have to write scenes that resemble reality but actually with a twist. Going into kitchen and doing the dishes is ordinary...even i do so at that moment i lost interest. The other thing is dont explain the narrative And don't fill too much conversation, that really kills the mood. Work on your vocabulary to make the best out of simple words but with greater meaning. All in all it is a nice effort but there is a lot of scope of improvement...lot of.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Heartful5160

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the help
bunny

8 Years Ago

I will be pleased to help you
Heartful5160

8 Years Ago

Great!!!! Thanks
I think you're on the right track in terms of plot; your storyline sounds good so far. I would just suggest watching your spelling. Also, I think it would be more beneficial if you kept everyone's dialogue separate from each other, like try to avoid the dialogue of two people in one paragraph, it just gets kind of confusing. Also, maybe add more narrative aspects between all the dialogue – especially when Karenile's mom tells her she's seeing someone else and when the mom says the dad hit her. It would be nice to know exactly what's going through her mind in those moments.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Heartful5160

8 Years Ago

Well, thank you for taking the time to read it!! It means a lot!! I'm glad you liked the plot...I kn.. read more
what a great way to set up the story :) it tells a great story so far :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Heartful5160

8 Years Ago

Thank you! Please keep reading on to see what happens! Thank you for reading and reviewing it!
Justin

8 Years Ago

your welcome friend :) i cant wait for more of it :)
Heartful5160

8 Years Ago

I'm glad! Gotta keep waiting and it's worth waiting for! :)
Great story! Really good dialogue. I can't wait to read the next chapter!

Posted 8 Years Ago


lovesrgraham

8 Years Ago

No problem. I'm sure i will.
Heartful5160

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
lovesrgraham

8 Years Ago

No problem. Anytime!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 7, 2015
Last Updated on July 9, 2015


Author

Heartful5160
Heartful5160

Sherwood , AR



About
I'm a sixteen year old hard working writer and I enjoy writing every second. I love to give my opinion on things. I've written about three novels and trying to get them published. Please, if you have .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..