Chapter One- My View

Chapter One- My View

A Chapter by Heartful5160

"Darin, I don't understand why you want the Christmas tree that tall. Our hall isn't even that big," I explained.Me and my future husband were walking down the long strip mall,trying to shop for the perfect Christmas tree, " Because, honey. It would bring more spirit into the holiday," Darin replied. 

" I understand, but why not buy one that we can put into the living room?" 

 "Why not just buy several of them?"

 " Because it's called being broke. We can't really afford to buy a tree for every single room in the house."

 "I know. I meant for like the rooms that we entertain during the holidays. The rooms that people usually hang out in, while we have company over." 

" How about this. We can purchase two. I'll agree with the big tall tree and we can put it in the foyer, OK? Then, we can also buy one to put in the living room, so when we need to put presents under a tree, it won't look ridiculous, as it would look, having presents under the one in the foyer. Okay? "

 " Perfect. I totally agree," he said.

 " Of course you do. Now, if I didn't put your idea into the agreement, then nothing would be happening," I joked.

 " Who said?"

 " Oh', baby, I know."

      We walked into Kirkland's and started searching for particular assortments for our holiday decorations. Once we got in the store,we went out separate ways to find our differences. My phone started vibrating in my hand. It was a text from this guy that I have been secretly talking to. My fiance' doesn't even know about him and I rather he don't, until we're officially married. 

Kaderis: Where you at right now? 

Me: With my husband and can't hang with you today because I'm spending time with him.

 Kaderis: Oh. Too bad. 

 Me: Why? 

Kaderis: Because I got an early Christmas present for you already. 

Me: Oh. Well, I'll try to see what I can do. Gotta go now. 

Kaderis: OK. Bye. Hope to see you soon. 

 Me: OK. Bye.

       I picked up a miniature Christmas tree that was sparkling with  glitter. I picked it up and ran to Darin to show him, " Hey, honey. I love this tree. I think it'll go good with the dining room piece that my mom got me last year. Don't you think so?" I asked him. He put down the item that he had interest in and looked at the tree I was holding in the center of my palm. 

" Sure. But, before we buy or start looking at the smaller items, we should probably look at the trees like we came to do," he condoned.

 " Ha'. You should practice what you preach, baby," I said over my shoulder, as I was heading back to put the item down. But you know what? I can always ask Kaderis for the money to purchase my Christmas needs! "Jessica!" Darin yelled, from across the store. Thank goodness no one else was in the store, because Lord knows I hate when people call me out like that! I rambled my way over to him. He was looking up at a tall, lit up tree. It was decorated all nice and beautiful. I think that we found the right tree! " Do you like it?"Darin asked. 

 " Yeah." 

 " What part of it?" 

" Well, hell the decorations of course. It's exquisite! I mean, what I had in mind was to hire someone professional to decorate it. It's the perfect size," I made my way around the tree and back to Darin, 

" it'snot too big or tall and it's not too short or small. How much is the price?" I asked. 

" Only two hundred. That leaves us two hundred left to spend on extra things, like that little glitter tree that you want. How bout' it?"

 " Yeah, let's get it."

       We asked the front desk clerk for the tree and as they were getting it all covered with the purchase and the shipment, I ran back over to the shelf, where the glittery tree was waiting for me. I picked it up and walked over to the check out counter and purchased it. The clerk had told us that the tree would arrive at our house the next day,because our purchase was too late for it to be shipped out. 

      Me and Darin rode back to our house and I started to put up the embellishments. I got out a Tupperware container that was labeled Christmas Decor down from the attic. I carried it back down to the living room and sat it down in the middle of the floor. I sat down on the floor next to it and lifted the lid off of the top of it. Just opening the box, I felt like I was opening a box full of Christmas magic. I heard Darin's footsteps coming from behind me. " Why do you love putting up the decorations?" he asked.

 " Because. Am I not supposed to?" 

 " Well, it's a good thing to," he came and sat down on the floor in front of me and watched me gather everything out of the box and onto the floor, " I remember when I was a kid I never saw my mother put up decorations. It was just the tree and the tree barely had any lights. We couldn't afford to buy Christmas decorations."

 " Well, just know that your life is getting better as you go. Your mom and your dad and all of your family will be over here, celebrating the holidays with us. And every time they come and visit us, I can see the joy and happiness in their eyes of being blessed to have a son like you." I said. I got up from the floor with a Christmas wreathe that my mom had made me last Christmas and walked to the front door. It was my favorite color and everything. It was compacted with glitter and my mom knew that glitter always made me smile and made my life just a little better than it was. It reminded me of being fabulous. The life I never had. Just the life I always go to when I'min distress. Or the life I always imagined in living when I was a little kid. The life I pretended. Every time I would go out in public, I would pull the wool over peoples eyes, making them think that I had the life of being fabulous. The big purse. The beautiful, big hair.Everything. But in real life I never had that. It was all imposture. 

 " Hey, Darin! Can you bring me some nails, so I can hang this wreathe up on the door?" I asked him. I watched him rise up from the floor and I could hear him walk into the garage and go through his toolbox, that my dad had gave him fora birthday gift last year. He came back into the house and held a box of nails and a hammer in his hand. He stood below me, while I was up on the step ladder above him, looking down on him. " Why don't you let me put that up there?" he asked.

 " Just because I'm a woman, doesn't mean I don't know how to put a wreathe on a door. I was raised better than that, believe it or not. My mother was a very independent woman. That's what I take on from her."

 " And it's quite hot . But how about letting me do it, because I'm a great fiance'?" 

" I guess," I stepped down from the ladder and took the box of nails and hammer from out of his hand and took his place of where he was, " Are you nervous?" 

 " For what?" he took a nail out of the box and the hammer and replaced me with the wreathe. I held it in my arms and held onto it like it was my only gift I have from my own mother. " For the wedding. Becoming an actual husband. Being someone else's partner in life." 

 " Not one bit. I'm excited to get married. I'm excited to be the protector in your life. I can't wait to start a family. Not with just you,but with your family and mine. Collided. It'll be beautiful. It'll be a dream come true," he explained, with a beautiful smile. He reached for the wreathe and wanted to trade the nails and hammer for it." Really?" 

 " Yes." At that moment, the wreathe had been placed on the door for everyone to see. He got down from the ladder." You wanna go out and see what it looks like from the road?" he asked. 

 " Yeah. Let's see if you past the test of putting up a wreathe and your first Christmas decoration." 

 " Oh' I know I passed. I'm a man." 

" Is that right? Remember you put it up, because you wanted to be a good fiance'. Not trying to see who could put it up better. Stop being a sexist," I teased. 

        We walked outside in the chilly weather. The breeze was quite cold,but it was tolerable. I had on a long sleeve black v-neck shirt and a royal blue scarf on over it, to keep my neck warm. I had on jeans,just as Darin did and a blue beanie to keep my ears warm. I loved wearing warm clothes even inside of the house, because it just added more admiration to the Christmas spirit. 

       We walked out into the road and faced the house. Our house was really nice, compared to other couples that was soon to get married. Well, my family was, I wouldn't say filthy rich, but they had money to spare to me and Darin. They bought us the house as a wedding and a Christmas present. We were so thankful and happy to receive such a life long present. Well, we were also happy for the other presents that other people got us. Like the kitchen sets of pots and pans and the kitchen utensils. Then some of our friends got us a whole bedroom set and then my brother and sister were generous enough to pitch in and buy us a living room set. We couldn't have asked for more. But we're blessed. The house was big and it was by far the best looking house in the neighborhood. It was perfect for both of us. It was in the middle of both sides of town. Darin was from the low part of town as for me I was from the better part. He grew up in the hood and I grew up in the gated communities. We met in the grocery store. It was a busy and hard day for me and the next thing I knew was that I was knocking everything off the shelf every time I tried to reach for something. He came up behind me and reached the can of green beans for me. Then he picked up the items that fell onto the ground. I told him the kind of day I had and all he wanted to do was take me out that night. After that night he never left my mind and I never stopped thinking about him. For about a week, he took me out to expensive restaurants and bought me nice gifts. He did everything he could to win my heart over. He did everything he could to win me over. And he did. He won me over for life and I won him over for life too. That's what led us to a wedding. 

       While, we looked at the double doors that only one of the wreathes was hanging on, he wrapped his arms around my shoulder. "How blessed are we to have such great families?" he questioned. 

" Very blessed." I turned into him and gave him a warm hug. I looked up and our lips touched and after we departed from each other we went back into the warm house.



© 2015 Heartful5160


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

387 Views
Added on July 8, 2015
Last Updated on July 8, 2015


Author

Heartful5160
Heartful5160

Sherwood , AR



About
I'm a sixteen year old hard working writer and I enjoy writing every second. I love to give my opinion on things. I've written about three novels and trying to get them published. Please, if you have .. more..

Writing