Closing (Part 2)

Closing (Part 2)

A Chapter by Holly O'Brien
"

I was not awake, yet I wasn't asleep...I was dead to the world and the world was dead to me...

"
There was an ache in my chest so heavy, it felt like my heart was trying to rip its way through. I had been parked just down the street from my house for almost an hour. The sky was now a haunting darkness and I felt more than lost in such a familiar place.

Was her body still lying out there...covered by the snow that seemed to mourn her still heart? I cried, cried so much until I couldn't tell if I was crying anymore. I didn't know what to do...to afraid to tell anyone. I was not even sure if I believed it happened...could I have been dreaming somehow? No...no, the blood stained my mind like red on white sheets.

"Oh God!!" I cried out. "Please, just let it be a dream....let it go away..." I screamed looking up desperately...I raised my hands and saw that they were trembling so bad, they did not even look like my own. I stared at them for a long moment, wide eyed...bewildered. I could see the blood on them, dripping endlessly as if it were flowing from an invisible gash. Quickly I tried to wipe it away....until I realized there wasn't really any blood.

I slowly parked the car in the garage and went inside. My mind was blank, I was unreadable even to myself.

"Sheena! Where the hell did you go?! And you took mom's car!" Shawn had rushed up to me the minute I got inside.

I did not look him in the eye, nor did I stop walking towards the bathroom. Shawn could already see something was wrong. He seized talking for a moment, then his tone went much lower than before.

"Dad just called, he's on his way now..." He said following close behind me.

"Okay..." I said absentmindedly. I was not awake and yet I wasn't asleep...I was dead to the world and the world was dead to me.

Once I got in the bathroom I shut the door, separating myself from anything I could hear breathing...it was the longest day of my life. It was the last day of my life that I remember...lost on the day of November 17th, 2008.

A lifeless body covered in snow....what a deathly sin was I faced with.


_____________________________________________

A few night's had passed since that day. But I had heard nothing about the girl....the body in the snow. I soon began to wonder if it really did happen. Dad was finally home, and his presence gave me some sense of security. Although I was afraid of being caught, there was a deeper fear in me...a fear that caused me great agony. I did not know what this fear was, surely it was not guilt. I knew what guilt felt like, guilt did not stay on the surface for very long...it was an emotion we came to face with and bury it soon after.

"Sheena...eat your food before it gets cold." Dad called to me from the kitchen.

I was balled up in one corner of the couch wrapped in a blanket. Shawn sat in another chair just beside me, his eyes glued tight to the television. He was watching a wrestling match, his eyes glowing with excitement. I stared at him, wishing I could force a smile on my own face.

"Sheena, your dinner." Dad said softly. He was now standing just behind me touching my shoulder gently.

"I'll eat it soon dad..." I said.

"I'm worried about you Sheena...you've hardly been eating lately. Have you been feeling sick?" He asked placing his hand on my forehead to check my temperature.

I quickly flicked it off. "You're such a mother sometimes!" I said with unexpected aggression.

Shawn turned to me sharply. "She's on her period dad!" He said as a matter of factly. Before turning back to the T.V.

"I am not...you idiot!" I snapped, giving him a single slap at the back of his head.

"Hey, hey...no fighting guys." Dad said sarcastically as he flopped back in the couch next to me.

He was a tall, sturdy built man with rugged short brown hair. His blue eyes always contained a jolly glimmer. Dad was in his early forties but he looked much older, all of those years working as a constructor was growing on him.

"What the hell?!" Shawn exclaimed shooting up out of his seat.

"Shawn watch your mouth. What's this?" Dad asked to no one in particular as his eyes caught the T.V. He and Shawn both stared intently.

The words "Breaking News" floated across the scene and I could feel my heart drop to my stomach.

"The body of nine year old Alyssa Paige was discovered early this morning...officials say her family had reported her missing almost a week ago. Her body was discovered on a small narrow road in Shallow Acres. Residents of this small town were shocked to hear such news..." The reporter was saying.

"My God..." dad said breathlessly as the young girls face was flashed on the screen.

My body went stiff as I stared horrified by the photo. Her smile was illuminating, bright with a genuine happiness. Curly red hair flowed along her shoulders and her dark green eyes peeked softly from behind her rosy cheeks. This was the life I took. At that moment prayed in my heart for the girl to come alive again. I would have given my life for her to have hers back.

"Alyssa was apparently hit by a vehicle, the impact tossed her fifteen feet away from her bike, shattering her skull. Police said the indecent more than likely occurred on last Wednesday. It is now considered to be a hit and run case as the motorist has yet to be found. Making this the fifth homicide for the year here in Shallow Acres. Police urges anyone with information to please contact them as soon as possible."

The room was silent. I could not hear a sound as my own thoughts drowned me in an overwhelming sea of fear.

"Last Wednesday...that's the very night I got back home...it was some heavy snow out there." Dad said still staring dazed at the television. "It's possible the driver hadn't seen her at all. Probably thought he hit a deer or something." Dad said wondering.

Tears were now making my eyes blurry.

"I'm going to bed..." I said quickly gathering my blanket. I did not let them see my tears as I rushed to my room.

Just seconds after, Shawn walked in behind me. I was already sitting at my window, the glass had been frosted by the icy wind. Shawn did not speak, instead he took a seat on the edge of my bed, his face pale with shock. I looked at him as he looked at me, and I knew that he knew. I knew now that he shared my horrible secret.







© 2010 Holly O'Brien


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aw, man...dang. *heavy sigh*

(One minor correction:
Police said the indecent more than likely occurred on last Wednesday.
I believe it should say, Police said the incident more than likely occurred on last Wednesday.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Uh Oh.
That can't be good...
Keep writing xD

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 9, 2010
Last Updated on October 31, 2010


Author

Holly O'Brien
Holly O'Brien

Macon, Georgia



About
Well I was born and raised in Nassau, Bahamas but I currently reside in Macon, Georgia where I attend college (IT major). Writing has always been my passion and it always will be. A very good friend .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..