The accident (Part 1)

The accident (Part 1)

A Chapter by Holly O'Brien
"

There is no breath within my lungs...the only air that flows there...is the wind that freely blows through me - Holly O'Brien

"
I ran my fingers through my short red hair as I banged it to the bass of loud rock music. Took another puff of my spliff and looked out of my bedroom window at the dark clouds hoovering above. Dad was out of town again...

I could see my reflection in the frosty glass...looking back at me. A green eyed girl, pale white skin, and skinny. I was sixteen but I looked about three years younger. I ran my hands along my chest...nothing...flat. Even over the extremely loud music i had been playing  I could hear my twin brother Shawn and his friends downstairs laughing and having a good time. I sighed and grabbed my jacket leaving the room.

"Hey Sheena...come here for a minute." His friend Brian called at me from a chair. He was an older guy, one of the jocks from high school, real cocky fellow. He leaned back and spread an arm across the chair licking his lips as he eyed me from head to toe.

"F**k off!" I said with ill manner.

"Hey dude...that's my sister!" Shawn snapped at him. We were identical, the only difference was that he had bleached his hair white.

His girlfriend laughed and turned around to look at me scornfully. She always hated me...I think she was jealous that me and Shawn were really close. He was always very protective of me.

"Is that pot?" she snorted at the joint i was holding.

Shawn turned quickly to see and then shot up out of his seat rushing toward me. I swung the joint out of his reach as he grabbed for it.

"What the hell are you doing with that Sheena?!" he said after he got tired of trying to take it from me.

I shoved him and walked to the garage door but he followed.

"Where'd you get that? You'll fry your brain cells with that thing!" He said angrily.

I looked at him without a word then snatched a beer off of the counter. He tried to grab that too but I fought him off.

"So you and your friends can drink but i can't?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

He looked at me with more anger in his eyes.

"You're only ten minutes older dickface..." I teased as I started to head outside.

"Dad's gonna be back tonight...so take care of that before he gets here!" He said just before I closed the door in his face.

Sometimes it really gave me a rise to piss people off. It's the only time I felt something, like a pinch after numbness. I liked pocketing stuff from grocery stores just to do it. I liked making my teachers wish i could just be expelled. It wasn't a good thing but at least they knew i existed right?

I sat in the garage picking at a scab on my right knee remembering my fight with Diane Kirk just a few days ago. I used to have a huge crush on her in elementary school but not anymore. She's now miss prissy and popular...she turned out to be such a b***h. Anyway, we fought because i caught her a*s at the mall and she called me a dyke for the millionth time.

I rolled my pants leg back down and opened the can of beer, drinking it all without stopping. Then I took the last puff of the joint and put it out at the bottom of my sneakers.

Mom's old red car was the only thing taking up space in the garage. A dangerous thought was entering my mind already. I dug in the draws searching for the car key...and finally found it on a chain with a bunch of other keys on it.

The car was barely used but dad still took good care of it as if mom would come back someday. I got the car started after several attempts and backed out of the driveway hoping Shawn and his friends couldn't hear me over their music.

I took one last glance at the house making sure no one came out before jetting off.

I turned the radio up at top notch and drove down a narrow road lined by trees. The car was a bit wobbly but I figured it would be okay for my little joy ride, no one else ever drove on this road anyway and I honestly didn't care if I crashed or not.

I slowly pressed my foot down on the accelerator as the adrenaline flowed through me like a new energy. The music pounded on me like a drum...boom, boom, boom...my heart was racing. Sound waves flowed through me....and I could feel my soul releasing itself. Releasing itself into the unknown.

Turning on the bend of a curb, I catch a glimpse of a figure...as the car moves closer with each second...I can see that it's a little girl. She's pedaling extremely fast but the car is still approaching her too quickly from behind. I press the horn violently .

"S**t!! Get out of the way kid!" I scream even though she can't her me. "Why the hell would she be riding her bike in all of this snow? " I thought to myself.

She was not budging...I pressed down on the brakes but it only caused the car to skid and I quickly took  my foot off of the brakes. I tried to turn the wheel but it was locked!! Now I was panicking!

She was now slowing down right in front of me!! Again I slammed my foot on the brakes in a desperate attempt to stop the car. This caused the car to swerve out of control and the wheel finally unlocked when I yanked at it forcefully. My heart shuddered with an intense fear and everything was racing in front of me like a fast forward movie. The car hit something with heavy impact causing it to slow down a little and my foot wouldn't leave the brakes. The car had finally stopped.

I was heaving with my head rested against the wheel....I could hear my heart pounding rapidly against my chest. I couldn't think, I couldn't feel. Everything was silent.

I looked out of the windshield....nothing but trees....the car was turned in a different direction. It hadn't turned over...but it had rotated at a 9o degree angle.

Another fear struck me...I looked out of the window beside me, but the glass had been blurred by frost. My hand ached as I slowly opened the car door.

My heart stopped at what I was now seeing. A small disoriented body lied just a few feet away...unmoving.

I got out of the car, trembling uncontrollably. My eyes bulged in fear, unblinking. I did not want to go closer...but my legs moved on their own. As I got closer I could see fresh blood slowly spreading about the body forming a small dark puddle on the damp road. My mind could no longer think....her head had been split opened and I could see flesh oozing from the large open wound. I didn't go any closer as vomit rose to my throat but did not reach my mouth.

I stood there for  some minutes as snow began to fall lightly from the skies. There was no track of time...everything had stopped to me. Was this for real? I blinked, over and over again...but the same image remained before me. Her body now blanketed a little in the snow. I started to walk backwards to the car my eyes still on the broken body.

There was no turning back now....I had done it...I killed a child. My mind was a blank sheet of paper and my soul felt numb. I turned the car on, looking back only to see frosted glass blocking my view and hurriedly drove off. I took another route home.

My mind could not help me know what to feel....





© 2010 Holly O'Brien


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Unfortunately this kind of accident does happen....

Great write, good characters, sad storyline....:(

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hm... Dang It :/
Is she going to tell the authorities O.o
(Lol i don't really want you to to tell me it's just what i'm wondering for the next story)
She's in trouble D:

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 8, 2010
Last Updated on October 31, 2010


Author

Holly O'Brien
Holly O'Brien

Macon, Georgia



About
Well I was born and raised in Nassau, Bahamas but I currently reside in Macon, Georgia where I attend college (IT major). Writing has always been my passion and it always will be. A very good friend .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..