Constant Time (Part 4)

Constant Time (Part 4)

A Chapter by Holly O'Brien

And the time came when winter began to pass. Gentle warmness prevailed in the air, the playful green returned to the trees. The greyness had humbly left the skies and the languid blue returned with the sun.

My days were spent alone, wandering in isolated fields, sitting next to little streams watching water tumble over tiny slippery stones. It's amazing what you see when you're not focused on anything else. I was pretending to be in a dream, because in dreams you can feel pain, but you know the pain isn't real.

At school I avoided friends and soon they started to avoid me, so did everyone else. The only thing that made me get up every day and go to school was track. I was a great runner. I loved the way the air would get trapped in my lungs as I forced my leg muscles to push against their will. There was almost a thrill that absorbed my body when I felt that pulsing pain.

"You better be here next semester Edwards." coach Spence said, standing before me looking at her stopwatch.

I was bent over heaving after running three laps and the other runners were just now approaching the finish line.

Finally, the summer made its way in. Dad went out of town frequently to work on a construction site in the city and Shawn and I were usually the only ones staying at the house. It was never hard to stay away from people. Well except for the two weeks my dad's younger sister Mary decided to play "babysitter" and stayed at the house with us. She called it "spending quality time with her niece and nephew."

One late, hot night I emerged from the quiet chambers of my room to find her whispering on the phone. At least, it was considered whispering to her but she was loud enough for me to hear from nine feet away.

"Jack, I'm just worried about her. She hardly comes out of that room, and she dresses like...a boy." she said into the phone. She was talking to my father.

"I think she needs a mother figure around. Maybe she can come live with me for a while...I think it would be good for her..." she said.

I grew angry at her words and immediately wanted to scream at her and tell her to f**k off!

She paused, "mhhmm...I understand but...yes...Jack....ok, she's your daughter, you're right." she said disappointed. "Yes, I'm still leaving on Thursday. Okay, bye..." She hung up the phone.

"Yes! Go dad!" I thought to myself.

I went to Shawn's room and peeked in. He was still up playing video games.

"Oh look...It's a Sheena siting!" He said with dry sarcasm. He was still looking at the TV. I watched him for a moment before deciding to speak.

"Shawn...you think mom is coming back?" I asked.

He looked away from the game and opened his eyes at me.

"Maybe Sheena, maybe..." he answered.

I smiled and he gave a forced smile back. I knew he didn't think she was coming back, but I still had hope, and so did dad.



***************************************************************************

It seemed time was allowing me to heal, even if it was little by little. I wasted no time getting back into track even though we only practiced because of the approaching winter season.

"Aren't you supposed to be in the boys dressing room Edward?"


Dianne smirked looking at me like I was a disgusting bug. Her three followers laughed in unison. It seemed, calling me by my last name was a new scheme for her.

We had just gotten through with gym class which was her favorite time to express her undeniable disgust for me.

"Hey, new girl!" She called to the girl at the locker just beside her. "Did you know Edward's a dike? She's just waiting to see what color panties you're wearing."

The other girls laughed hysterically but the new girl only glanced at me nervously and continued taking her clothes out of her locker. It was just the first week of school and already Dianne Kirk was pissing me off. I angrily opened my locker and snatched out my bag.

Dianne walked up to me gracefully with that evil smile across her face.

"So...Edward, I was wondering. Do you still have a crush on me?" She asked playfully gliding her finger along my arm.

The next thing I knew, her three followers were trying their best to pry me off of her. I had punched her to the floor and was now mopping the floor with her dolly black hair. This went on for a few minutes until coach Spence was finally summoned and I released Dianne willingly.

"Sheena Edwards..." Mrs. Lamar, the principal said my name in a long, resentful, dragging tone.

She sighed. " I really thought I was seeing some progress with you....You stopped giving the teachers so much trouble, and joined the track team. Now we're back to....this!" she looked at me over her large specs. Her long narrow nose was very distracting and I got a strong urge to laugh but didn't.

She sighed as she got up and came around her desk to where I had been sitting. Resting her tall, slinky body against the edge of the desk in front of me, she smiled revealing coffee stained teeth.

"What seems to be the problem Ms. Edwards? Come on, you can tell me...I'm here to listen..." she insisted, but the expression on her face had failed to convince me of this.

I remained silent and my eyes wandered to the window just behind her. There was that girl again, the new girl with golden blond hair. She was leaning up against a wall with that little book she always had. She must write a lot I thought. Mrs. Lamar slid over intentionally blocking my view.

"According to school policy and your malignant record, I should expel you..." She calmly stated.

I looked at her sharply, suddenly interested.

"But...I am a firm believer in second chances..." she began. "and third chances, and forth chances....and, lets just say, I was taught to never, ever, give up on an individual."

I looked at her, both hopeful and with regret.

"I'm assigning you to see a therapist..." She said.

My mouth dropped open. I wanted to scream but no sound came out.

"Just for the semester..." she quickly added. "We'll see if it helps...we have to try our options Ms.Edwards if you want to graduate next year."

I eased back in my chair and surrendered. Great, now I had someone else to remind me of how crazy I am.




© 2011 Holly O'Brien


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another great chapter! You definitely are leaving me wanting more! (Don't ask why I'm reading them backwards! :P )

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hm that was interesting o.O


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 31, 2010
Last Updated on January 2, 2011


Author

Holly O'Brien
Holly O'Brien

Macon, Georgia



About
Well I was born and raised in Nassau, Bahamas but I currently reside in Macon, Georgia where I attend college (IT major). Writing has always been my passion and it always will be. A very good friend .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..