The Breakout

The Breakout

A Chapter by Misty_Prophet
"

Walls are colder, air is thicker, clouds are darker, and more people are becoming ill. If you had the chance to escape, would you take it? And for what cost?

"
- Where the hell did you two go? I was worried sick!
Dayner shut the door, visibly irritated by their behaviour. Frankie and Kaden sat on the couch, without any word.
- Did something happen? - Dayner's eyes wandered from Kaden onto Frankie and back. Little Kara remained in her room.
- Did you know that this bump... - Kaden showed his forearm. - This is a chip...
Dayner's gaze now fell onto the floor. He turned around himself, checking if Kara came out of her room. He seemed nervous.
- So you found out...? Who told you?
- We visited Gawent. You already know his father and his mother worked inside the lab. He told us everything about the virus... - Kaden's voice was strangely linear. It's as if he reconciled with everything. A smile on his face seemed unbelievable. 
- Wait, how do you know about the chip? - Frankie realized what Dayner said.
- I know everything... The chip, the virus transfer, the symptoms... Everything. See kids, when Nia died, I thought my world is over.Then  I realized, I have three angels at home, and I should do everything in my powers to protect them and secure their future. So I've joined The Resistance. Wheels are already in motion and plans are being executed. The three of you leave tomorrow night, during the protest. The guards are going to be distracted and busy, so you'll use small parachutes to jump off from the roof. Once you're out, you'll join the Lorker boys by the tree...
Frankie was listening eyes wide open. She looked at her dad in totally different manner. He in The Resistance? She thought the organization was just a myth, and now she couldn't believe her ears. First the guards and the conspiracy about the virus, and now Dayner? Her life seemed programmed even since her birth. Is everything just a lie? Is this life a lie? 
- I don't understand... You've planned this? - Kaden was confused by all the facts that flooded him.
- Yes. And everything is prepared... It was planned couple days ago, and I was supposed to tell you everything from the beginning, but now I see my kids are even smarter and discerning than I thought. You two found out everything on your own.
They were all sitting, not saying a single word.
- I know it's all a shock to you, and you guys need to get some rest before the big day. I just pray to God that Kara isn't infected. Her whole class and even some teachers were taken away today. They called me to come pick her up, before she gets infected, too. She was shaken a bit by all that, but she is OK now... -Dayner took a deep breath. - Just don't do anything foolish and run around the city blabbering about this stuff. Only you and the Lorker boys leave tomorrow. And no one else. No one, understand?
- Gawent was supposed to get us plans of the tunnels, so we can escape without creating a big mess... - Kaden liked Gawent's idea better.
- No! You leave tomorrow, and Gawent must not know about it! Just you and the Lorker boys... Gawent can't be trusted... Get it?
Frankie wanted to ask why, but in that moment, Kara stepped out of her room, looking small and innocent as always.
- Daddy? Can you read me a story? I can't fall asleep... 
In Dayner's head, she reminded him of the events from last year, when her mother, his beloved Nia got infected. Frankie saw a tear glisten in his eye. He took a book from the shelf.
- Take this honey, I'll be there in a second.
Kara disappeared behind her doors with a book under her hand. Dayner stood silently for a second. 
- So, you two...? You're OK?
- Does Kara know? - Frankie's voice gotten weary.
- No. We need to act normally. We can't bring the attention onto us.
- Why are we and the Lorker boys only ones escaping? - Dayner was a bit frightened by Kaden's piercing look in his eyes. He seemed filled with some strength. Where was it coming from? 
- I don't believe the protest would do any good... They wanted to do it in a peaceful manner, but you can't talk to a pack of hungry wolves... It could only get worse. So I made small parachutes, and I needed some materials, so I told our plan to Danny Lorker. He's been my friend ever since childhood... He also thought the protest isn't going to lead anywhere. It should be a riot. They can't control the whole city. But, things are the way they are... You just go, and don't look back. No matter what happens. You have the chance to be free. Use it wisely...
He went into Kara's room, and Frankie could hear his voice deep into the night. She left the door to her room slightly opened. His voice calmed her nerves. She loved listening to him, ever since she was little. He used to read stories to her and Kaden in childhood, until dawn would show up at the window. She remembers having the sweetest dreams then. Now, only nightmares and screaming voices haunted her.

- You think Gawent looked for us? - Kaden was nervous, constantly passing fingers through his black hair.
- Probably. - Frankie knew she would never see Gawent again, and it hurt a bit. She'll never have the chance to tell him, how she feels about him. - You think his plan would've worked?
- Well, his dad still has access to a lot of storages and computers, not to mention he probably still possesses his mother's I.D. cards... I think it would've worked.
They were sitting on the roof top, waiting for the Lorker boys to show up. Frankie walked over to the ledge. Crowd started gathering in the streets. Unsuccessfully she searched for Dayner. There was no sign of him. Kaden prepared the parachutes and once again checked the backpacks with supplies. They brought only the necessities. Kara seemed indifferent about the escape. She sat on the ledge, scribbling something in her diary. Lately, Frankie realized, she was often seen with that notebook in her hands. She wanted to hug her little sister more than anything, but than a loud noise was heard coming from the ladders. Two smiling heads popped out. They carried huge backpacks and they were about the same age as Kaden, but not nearly serious as him. Their hair was dark brown, and they were twins. They approached Kaden reaching out to shake his hand. The one with brown eyes spoke first.
- Hi! I'm Dean Lorker. Guess you're Kaden, right? 
- Yes, I am.
- Nice to meet you. - His face was lightened with a big smile. The other brother with green eyes stepped forward.
- And I'm Donny... - The enthusiasm in his voice was obvious. - So glad to finally meet you!
- And I believe this gorgeous creature sent by angels is... Francesca? - Dean picked up her hand and kissed it, while gazing into her eyes. For a minute, Frankie forgot all about the troubles, the virus and the world. The brothers were literally radiating happiness and smiles. It was a strange thing to see, especially now, when they're leaving everything behind and going into the unknown. She envied their careless smile. She wanted to stop worrying. To smile. To be foolish like them in a time when the riot burns the city and when they will never see their father ever again.
Donny pushed Dean aside as he kissed Frankie's hand.
- Donny at your service... - Both of the brothers had big beautiful smiles. Frankie and Kaden were stunned by all that excitement they brought with them. They never saw anyone like the twins in the entire city. It would be nice, if the situation was different. They seemed reckless and foolish. Kaden feared they are going to ruin everything.
- And the princess Kara... - Dean bowed before her, and so did Donny. - Who's beauty is being described by so many songs... - He was being poetic, and Kara enjoyed it. She pretended to have a dress with her hands, and then she lowered a bit, like the queens in middle century did. When Frankie saw Kara smiled, for the first time since mother died, she immediately liked the brothers. They seemed to lack intelligence and leadership, but they made Kara smile. That was enough for her.
- So, I can hear the loud noise from the streets, and in a couple of minutes, we go... Everybody agree? - Dean was standing with hands on his hips. His voice firm and serious. He took Kaden by the shoulder and lead him to the edge. - We will say when, and you go, OK?
- Yes. - Everybody agreed. 
Tone in Dean's voice surprised her. Just a minute ago, she thought the brothers were foolish and negligent, but now, Dean reminded her of Kaden. He was determined and serious just as she first expected them to be, when Dayner talked about them.
- Donny jumps with Kara attached to him, cause the landing can get rough. Francesca? You need to touch the ground with your toes first, and then roll yourself on the ground, so you disperse the energy of the jump onto the ground, understand? - Frankie nodded her head. 
- I'll jump with Kara. - Kaden stared at Donny, suspiciously. 
- No, You and I need to look out for the guards, and... - Dean came closer to him and continued in a lowered voice. - And if something happens, we need to secure their escape, if you know what I mean...
Kaden understood perfectly. He had a similar idea himself, to sacrifice for Kara and Franie's escape. Dean just might be smart, contrary the first impression. 
- Now we wait for the perfect moment.

Dayner was able to convince some of the people to make a mess, to create a bigger distraction. He lead the crowd and soon they reached the military facility. Everything was happening so fast. Inside, he was praying, the kids would make it. If they make a mistake, it could be a disaster. Every second counts. The guards started collecting behind the wire fence. He noticed that only one guard was left on each of the lookouts. They need to step it up. In a matter of minutes, the crowd was getting more braver and stronger. The law of the pack. Everyone is stronger in a pack. Several people started pushing the fence. Guards have gotten nervous. The captain of DPU climbed up the Hummer vehicle. He had a loudspeaker in his hands.
- I'm going to ask everyone to calm down, and back away from the fence. I repeat, you all need to back away, or we will have to use the force. We have the authority to use the force, and we will not hesitate. Again, I need you to back away... - A guard next to him, whispered something into captain's ear. - I need to inform you, that the virus is spreading fast right this moment. Someone in the crowd is a carrier, and more people are getting infected! I need you to go to your homes, so the infected ones can be isolated and treated... 
Someone in the crowd yelled: They're going to kill us! Everyone!
- We are not going to kill anyone! - Captain continued. - Calm down... The virus is extremely contagious... - He was cut of in the sentence when the crowd breached the fence and rushed into the facility grounds. Several guards fell fast, and their weapon was taken by the citizens. In a couple of minutes, it turned into a battlefield. 

-Go, go! - Dean and Kaden were looking at the riot, while their blood boiled. They never saw anything like it. It was each man for himself. Chest to chest fight, anger, blood and guns... 
Donny jumped first. He landed perfectly. Kara didn't seemed frightened by the flight at all. Frankie hesitated a little, but she went for it. She felt like a bird. The jump was shorter than she expected. She did just what Dean told her. Toes, then roll. Perfect. Donny picked up the parachutes and stuffed them into the backpacks.
After a couple of minutes Kaden and Dean appeared in the air.

- One of them is a carrier, they are all getting infected! Really fast! - A guard at the entrance of the military base was scared and nervous. He never killed anyone in his life. The little screen on his wrist showed hundreds of red dots. They were all infected citizens. There was never such and outbreak of the virus in such numbers. They're all doomed. When the government founds out, they... There was only one way to destroy the virus. He looked at his partner, who picked up the radio.
- Beta four delta unit reporting, code black, I repeat, code Black!

Kaden felt relieved as he touched the ground beneath him. Adrenaline was rushing through his veins. They escaped. They made it on the other side of the wall.

- I repeat! Code black! We have a breakout! I repeat, we have a virus breakout!


© 2012 Misty_Prophet


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

OMG, Misty! I printed this chapter out and took it to work to read during my break. When I reached the end I was very upset that I had to wait until I got home to find out what happened! : ) I got very caught up in the story!

The way you switch back and forth between the riot and the escape at the end creates a sense of urgency. Well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

In mimick on Craig, below. I do love the back and fourth at the end between scenes. It's very well done. Though there are a continuity issues with this piece, I find.

Firstly, when Frankie meets Donny and Dean, it goes from them being charming and liking them, and then she explains that they weren't the fools she thought. Perhaps You could drop the fool part, or add a bit in before explaining that though charming, they seemed to lack intelligence. It just seems a bit of a jump between positive and negative.

Also, I think this is a bit of a skip from the previous chapter. I think at the start you could make it seem more of a conincidence that their father already had a plan for them even though they planned to get out themselves. Especially seeing as the breakout happens very quickly, without much transition. I think for the previous chapter to seem more important, you need to add more of a thing between the two plans, perhaps add the fate of Gawent's trying to find them or something?

Anyway, last 2 chapters to read, still. Enjoying it muchly. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OMG, Misty! I printed this chapter out and took it to work to read during my break. When I reached the end I was very upset that I had to wait until I got home to find out what happened! : ) I got very caught up in the story!

The way you switch back and forth between the riot and the escape at the end creates a sense of urgency. Well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 26, 2012
Last Updated on May 23, 2012


Author

Misty_Prophet
Misty_Prophet

Serbia



About
Hi, call me Jay :D I'm an uprising writer from Serbia and my favorite genre is thriller/horror. My favorite writer is Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Please read something of his, his writing style is am.. more..

Writing