Claws of Truth

Claws of Truth

A Chapter by Khance
"

What is Julian's price?

"

Leaning back in the high-backed wooden chair, Julian regarded the aged men that sat around the table. He had been sitting in the chair for nearly an hour and nobody had even mentioned the dragons. It was getting to the stage where the Sky Pirate expected old ladies to come out of the walls with refreshments. The King raised his hand once again to quieten the murmuring, the generals and heads of guilds that sat at the table quietened at the signal. “The recruitment into the Royal and City guard is at an all time low, the army itself is losing members, have we any information on why there is a decline?” The King asked as he cast a weary look around the room. Julian perked up for a moment and raised his hand.

 

The King looked at him with a raised eyebrow before addressing him, “Yes, Colonel?” Travesty immediately lost his smile as he stared directly into the King’s eyes. “I know you’re trying to avoid the subject by going through the routine agendas, but you cannot ignore what’s happening. The generals here and guild leaders aren’t stupid; they know who I am and why I’m here... I think it’s time you started talking about what you know.”

 

Anthon grimaced momentarily as he regarded the shocked men around him, some were going so far as to mutter to each other in outrage at the lack of respect. “Pay him heed, he has a point. The main reason this meeting was called so quickly is because we have reason to believe...” Anthon stared back at Travesty, “...that there are dragons plaguing our neighbouring settlements and villages!”

 

Pulling on his beard, one of the old Generals leaned back in his chair, looking at the faces around him as he drew in breath to speak. “Such accusations can hardly be even considered, we’ve all heard the stories from our fathers, but this is impossible, we made them extinct!”

 

Anthon sighed as he looked firstly toward the General and then back at Travesty. “Colonel Julian R. Travesty, did you see a Dragon?”

 

Everyone in the room now had their eyes on the Sky Pirate. Julian grimaced as he got to his feet, calmly taking a few moments to build the tension; he started to slowly take of his waistcoat as he began to speak. “There was one particular event that sticks in my mind... I was calmly taking a stroll through one of the villages near the border into the Fall lands, when a shadow crossed the sky. Instantly there was panic and fear all around. Nobody knew what was happening... suddenly everything was on fire, and the screams only got louder and louder...”

 

Folding the waistcoat neatly in front of him, Travesty began to unbutton his shirt, taking effort to draw out his speech. The general snorted to himself, smiling at the claims. He looked to the King for support, yet the King was watching the Pirate’s display and listening carefully. Travesty then continued, “The last scream that I heard was coming from a nearby house. Like any other person, I ran toward the noise to see if I could help in any way, yet by the time I got there, the woman had been scorched to death... the house was in ruin and only ashes remained of what could only have been the roof. Fire surrounding me, I tried to escape the house when I noticed the infant...”

 

The general turned to look at the King with a look of feigned surprise, who took the hint by repeating the question. “Colonel Julian R. Travesty, did you see a Dragon?”

 

The Sky Pirate took off his shirt and turned around, exposing the huge scar that traced down his back. Gasps of shock echoed throughout the small war room, even the King reeled back at the sight. “These claw marks tore so far through me that they struck bone, if it wasn’t for the monks that found me, I wouldn’t be here right now. Luckily enough, I only have a scar to show for it!”

 

The King opened his mouth to say something, but Travesty was speaking already. “Oh and to answer your question, no, I didn’t see the Dragon. As you can very well see, it saw me first!”



© 2009 Khance


Author's Note

Khance
I'm not happy with this chapter, but then again, its just a bit of a filler until i get to introduce the main characters.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can relate..I'm never thrilled with any of my fillers, but without them, the story would be pointless.

"Oh and to answer your question, no, I didn't see the Dragon. As you can very well see, it saw me first!"
^^^Random fact, I laughed so hard when I read that. I have no idea why, but just picturing the scene and Julian saying it made me giggle for so long!

Keep up the wonderful job!

Always,
-Aurelia Mirella

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 6, 2009


Author

Khance
Khance

Dundalk, Ireland



About
People are reassured when they think you know what you're doing... Being honest, I make all of this up as I go along... When somebody complains, then i might stop :D more..

Writing
Altitude Altitude

A Chapter by Khance