Hearth of Gold

Hearth of Gold

A Chapter by Khance
"

Might re-write this one later... but at the moment, im having too much fun to stop writing.

"

Spreading the lists out on the table in front of him, Julian started to scribble down the names of certain people. It had been three hours since the meeting in the war room and it was certainly well into the night. Corel had brought him the lists a while ago, yet he was wasting no time in getting to work. However, seeing as the room he was provided was cold, he decided to go to the pub rather than wait for it to heat up. So sitting at the warm table near the hearth in the pub, Julian started to pick names and start matching their abilities against their requirements as crew members. “Let’s see, three engineers, two mages... maybe four, the flyers and myself...” Travesty started to count the names on his hand before he grimaced. No matter how many times he tried to calculate the numbers, they still wouldn’t work out. “I need a cook too... the soother, and navigator.”

 

A young girl tapped the Pirate on the shoulder politely. Julian turned around to see a big smile and a tray of food. Sweeping the notes aside, Travesty made room for the food. “Is that all you’d like, Sir?”

 

Julian stopped for a moment and looked at the girl in shock, “What age are you?!” The girl lost her smile and took a step back, giving the Pirate a reproachful look. “I cooked it all myself, I’m...I’m sorry!” Before Julian could say another word she darted back into the kitchen, the Pirate knew he had seen tears and cursed himself for thinking of the wrong thing. He had been in too many seedy pubs to remember what innocence was.

 

Growling to himself for his own idiocy, Julian took a bite of the meat in front of him and started to leaf through the lists. A moment later he dropped the sheet and looked down at his plate. “No way...”

 

Jess looked into the mirror and tried to wipe the tears from her eyes, it had happened again. Taking negativity was never her strong point. The man had scared her senseless... she knew he was probably out there complaining about her right now to the manager. “It’s useless, why am I still here! I’m never going to be taken seriously if I’m working in a kitchen for the rest of my life. I want to see the world!” Suddenly a figure appeared behind her, all she could see in the mirror was her own face and a silver waistcoat behind her head. Turning around rapidly she nearly shrieked, but Julian was smiling warmly, “Are you scared of flying?”

 

Jess had no idea what to say, she just stared at the man and looked past him to see the face of her manager. The bearded heavy-set man that never took a liking to anyone stood with his hand on his hips, she knew that he was going to be angry with her for not staying in the kitchens. “I’m sorry about the food; I’ll just go to the kitchen and get someone else to...”

 

“You’re not listening to me; I asked you if you were scared of flying?” Travesty asked, his smile almost becoming a laugh. Getting to her feet, Jess stared straight at his shoulder before bringing her eyes up to look him in the face. “Flying is impossible, now will you please let me get back to work, my manager will kill me if I’m late!” Jess said with a hint of panic in her voice. As Julian leaned back, Jess glanced to where her manager stood, his face was now visible to her. The kitchen girl gasped as she saw the manager’s smile and even more so when he ran to her, embraced her and twirled her in the air. “What’s going on?” Was all Jess could say as Julian started to walk back towards his table, “I gave the manager the cost of the meal, well, that’s a lie. I valued the meal against what I would usually pay in the cities on the east coast.”

 

Jess looked confused until she saw the remainder of the staff staring at the several gold crowns lying on the bar counter, none of them daring to touch a single piece. “So you liked my food?” was all that came from Jess as she was let go by her manager. Travesty smiled as he placed the hat on his head, “I wouldn’t get your hopes up on remaining a kitchen girl for the rest of your life, that’s all I’ll say.”

 

Julian closed the door behind him and walked out into the night, the cobble stones beneath his feet felt intrusive against his soles, he knew he would need a new pair of shoes soon. He hated having to walk so much. The cold air felt good on his skin as he folded the notes in his hands and placed them into his pocket. Re-adjusting his sword as he walked, Julian wondered what tomorrow would bring. He would finally have the lists made out and the people called for and hopefully the Jailor’s list would be completed by then.
Suddenly a voice behind him sounded. Turning to see what was going on he saw the smile of the small dark haired girl in the distance, she cupped her hands together and shouted after him the words that caused him to laugh. “I always wanted to see the stars up close, I’ve always wanted to fly!”

 

Julian waved to her before he turned around. Unconsciously, in the back of his mind, he crossed one name off the list.



© 2009 Khance


Author's Note

Khance
Have fun. I'm sure there are mistakes and it seems out of place, but hey... you might enjoy it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So. . . I know I'm added into this story now as a character, but I couldn't start reading in the middle, so I went back to the start and read it all. Sigh. Since you ripped my story away to pieces I think it's only fair if I did the same. However, I'm a pretty decent person, so I like to think and I'll just point out the obvious that other readers will notice.

1. You need to indent each paragraph.
2. There is actually no spelling mistakes, well in this chapter atleast.
3. I don't think you should re-write this one, I actually like where it's headed.

Truthfully, Jess is not an innocent person at all. I guess that's why story telling is the best, you can make someone something their not. Yeah so, overall this was pretty well constructed.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Every chapter gets better and better...I think I know who the cook might be! Haha

As always, lovley job Brian. :]

-Aurelia ♥

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

357 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 6, 2009


Author

Khance
Khance

Dundalk, Ireland



About
People are reassured when they think you know what you're doing... Being honest, I make all of this up as I go along... When somebody complains, then i might stop :D more..

Writing
Altitude Altitude

A Chapter by Khance



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blind Blind

A Poem by Amy