Semi-Final

Semi-Final

A Chapter by Khance
"

Syrth's Fight.

"

"How much longer do you think he can hold out?" One of the burly guards whispered harshly under his breath. Pausing for a moment, the Captain of the Palace guard looked to the centre of the ring where a young Syrth stood panting. "I'd give him about another twenty minutes before he's on the ground, it's a miracle that he hasnt been knocked out yet." The burly guard grinned as he leaned back, "He somehow made it this far, I wouldn't count him out yet."
The Captain grinned back, "I'll admit, I didnt expect him to make it this far. And by the look on her face, the Princess didnt either."

Princess Dalia clutched the handles of her seat and glanced to her father worriedly, only to snap her attention back to the ring. It was King Anthon that spoke first, "You shouldnt concern yourself, he knows the risks he's taking. Besides, he's against much more skilled men at this stage, if anything goes wrong, they'll stop him before there is a fatality."
Dalia however just tightened her grip on the wooden handles and stared out to her former childhood friend. "Please be okay." she whispered almost to herself as the huge crowd cheered, signalling the continuation of the competition.

"Let the Semi-Final Begin!" The herald roared out across the crowd. Raising his sword, Syrth grimaced, feeling the muscles in his arm contract. Looking forward, Syrth saw the sneer cross his opponent's face which only got closer as the other swordsman advanced. "Please, just two more fights... please." Syrth whispered to himself as he raised the sword up to waist level. The voices of all the guards rang in his head as he slid his right foot forward and leaned his left shoulder back. "I will win, I have to." Syrth groaned as he bent his knees slightly. The sneering opponent approached ever closer, causing the mage to take a step backwards. Raising his eyes, Syrth looked to where the Princess sat on her throne, her face was on her father. Pulling the strength from within him, Syrth launched forward with a scream, his blade twirling forward in a glittering arc that caught his opponent completely off guard. The sound of steel on steel echoed through the crowd as Syrth slid his foot around gracefully, allowing his blade to skewer forward into the unprotected side of his opponent.
"Magic!" The soldier grunted as his own blade snapped down to block the blade as it lanced forward. Focusing his eyes on the sword, he swore an oath as it flicked away from where it was moments ago, only to launch anew again at his unprotected side. Lunging forward and feeling only air against his blade, the soldier rolled to the left to avoid the screaming blade as it sliced where his head had just been.
"I dont need Magic... for the likes... of you!" Syrth panted as he fell backwards, parrying each attack as it was thrown at him. Syrth pulled the weight of the sword up and slapped it against the steel of his opponent's tired attack. The soldier lept backwards and held his sword in a steady grip. The sneer had long left his face as he stared into the determined blue eyes in front of him. Syrth started to walk sideways, his eyes glancing up and down between the soldier's feet and sword.

Princess Dalia gasped as Syrth threw himself into the fight, gone was the nervous boy that she had known from the Palace. His face was the same and his mischevious blue eyes still shone brightly, but there was something different to him. "Determination." King Anthon said as though he had read his daughter's mind. Dalia looked to her father in confusion, but the King was already speaking again. "He lost his way a little as a child, you could tell that about him. Always having the shadow of his father to compete with. But here everyone can see him standing on his own two feet, completely apart from his father. And I've been told by the judges, he hasnt so much as uttered an aura since stepping into the ring."
The princess held a hand to her heart, "He's doing all of this by himself?"
Anthon nodded, his eyes twinkling with interest as he regarded the young mage fighting with all his spirit. "He's going to be an interesting one to watch in the future." Before the Princess could open her mouth to respond, a roar from the centre of the ring caught both of their attention.

Syrth cried out as the blade pierced through his shoulder. His opponent's face, changed instantly from anger to concern as he pulled the blade free. The Mage fell back, only to roll on the ground and come back up on one knee. Covered completely in sand and blood, Syrth struggled to get to his feet. The sword in his hand grew heavier and heavier, but the young man pulled it up and stared at his opponent. Sweat trickled down his face and his wavy brown hair clung to him. "Keep... going."
The soldier looked to the judges as he took a step back. The crowd was deathly quiet as the young mage struggled forward, his sword tip dragging in the sand. "You can't be serious... you want to fight?" The soldier said as he took another step back, his sword kept in a defensive stance. "Still think... I'm using... magic?" Syrth grunted as he fell to one knee. A voice pierced through the crowd, causing everyone to look where the Princess was standing. "Stop this at once! He's had enough!"

Upon hearing her voice, Syrth lurched to his feet and held his sword upright. His eyes glazed over his body stopped shaking. "Advance!"
"Have it your way!" the soldier cried out as he slammed his sword against the young mage's blade. What happened next, shocked everyone. Using the momentum of the swing against his own blade, Syrth twisted his sword so that the attack glanced off and missed far to the side. Dropping to one knee again, Syrth threw his injured shoulder into the torso of his opponent and launched him backwards. He then wasted no time in turning himself around and lancing his own blade into the side of the soldier. Both men screamed as they hit the ground. Syrth's sword tip rested against the neck of his opponent who clutched at his wounded hip. "Game." Syrth whispered to himself with a grin as he collapsed to the sand, his blood flowing around him as he drifted into unconsciousness.



© 2009 Khance


Author's Note

Khance
Meh

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
Added on November 15, 2009


Author

Khance
Khance

Dundalk, Ireland



About
People are reassured when they think you know what you're doing... Being honest, I make all of this up as I go along... When somebody complains, then i might stop :D more..

Writing
Altitude Altitude

A Chapter by Khance