Crests of the Sky

Crests of the Sky

A Chapter by Khance
"

Brief History of the Dragon war.

"

Princess Dalia pressed her ear against the wall, she could hardly hear a thing through the stone, but she had to try. Her father refused to tell her what was going on; her curiosity almost made her demand the answer from one of the aides. Pulling rank had never been one of her strategies; she knew her father would disapprove of such an action. It was just when she pressed herself tighter against the wall that the door opened to reveal her father, looking tired and disgruntled. Their eyes locked momentarily before the Princess spoke, “The walls are sound proof, and I was just conducting some personal research on the matter.” Dalia smiled sheepishly as he father scowled at her; he always knew instantly what she was thinking.

 

King Anthon took a seat at the table and ushered his daughter to do the same. She had been in the war room for a few minutes trying to listen into the conversation in the antechamber attached to the room. However now she sat looking at her father, trying to discern his feelings. She jumped as he started to speak, “We have a problem Dalia... the man that arrived yesterday evening was a Sky Pirate, I’m sure you remember the History of those men?” Anthon looked to his daughter’s confused expression and sighed as he continued.

 

“Sky Pirates were originally men that were drafted to sail the Sky Ships in the war against the Dragons. Seeing as only one vessel survived the encounter, there has only been one family that has been taught the ways of Sky Sailing. That was the Mirella family.” Dalia looked to her father, questions written all over her face. She took a moment to gather her thoughts before she phrased what was in her head.

 

“The one from the Mages Guild, are you saying that she knows how to sail a Sky Ship?” Dalia asked, thinking briefly of the Mirella family. King Anthon paused momentarily, “No, she is unfit to sail a Sky Ship, had her older brother not been taken away in that hideous incident, he would have learned the way of Sky Sailing.”

 

The Princess then turned towards her father, “If the line ended with him, how is Travesty still called a Sky Pirate?” Just as her words were spoken a knock came at the door. Corel calmly opened the door and bowed his head, “Sorry for the Intrusion, Your highness, but Travesty is here for the meeting, shall I allow him to enter?”

 

The King looked to his daughter and said, “Allow him entry in a few moments; there is something I wish to discuss with my daughter.” Dalia smiled at the words and waited for aide to leave. King Anthon then answered her question. “During the Dragon War, the kingdom was in a state of chaos. All funds were used to send for help from allied nations, and anything left over was to send our people to safety. The chances of survival were slim at best, yet five families took it upon themselves to try and make a difference. The Kingdom at the time of the crises; had pledged a lot of its funding into a counter attack against the winged beasts.”

 

Princess Dalia nodded her head, “The Sky Ships.”

 

King Anthon resumed his story, “The Kingdom chose the Mirella family to joint-venture with. They were a renowned Mage family with strong ancestry. The Kingdom felt that they were the natural choice. Strategists deliberated and analysed all known dragon attacks and tried to make a battle strategy that would allow the Sky Ship victory, yet nothing yielded a positive result. There were too many dragons for just one ship to beat.” The Princess was paying attention raptly, she had never heard of this version of the story, the Sky Pirates never had names associated with them before, and never before had she heard of the Mirella family being a prominent name in the story.

 

Keeping an eye on the door, Anthon continued the story, “Knowing that they could only be defeated, the Mirella family still took to the skies. The kingdom knew that they would never return, so they urged everyone else to use the valuable time to evacuate the city. Four prestigious families remained Travesty, Khance, Blaque and finally Lysanth. These families decided to imitate the design of the first ship, yet they customised them to suit their own family strengths.”

 

Dalia looked confused, “I don’t think I understand what you mean when you say family strengths?”

 

King Anthon heard voices from the other side of the door, so he decided that he would answer this final question. “An example of a family strength would be that a Sky Ship made of charred, black wood that would only fly at night. That was the vessel of the Blaque family... the family of Fire Mages.”



© 2009 Khance


Author's Note

Khance
Have fun.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ahhh! I can't tell you how cool it is to have a part of my name in this lovely book of yours! You always leave me wanting more!

Great job my dear!

Always,
-Aurelia ♥

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 6, 2009


Author

Khance
Khance

Dundalk, Ireland



About
People are reassured when they think you know what you're doing... Being honest, I make all of this up as I go along... When somebody complains, then i might stop :D more..

Writing
Altitude Altitude

A Chapter by Khance