The Reader- Chapter 5

The Reader- Chapter 5

A Chapter by A.L.

Chapter 5

Clara didn’t waste any time - she immediately grabbed Newt and Emmeline by the arms and dragged them down the hallway. Gwen pulled out her mask and placed it over her face, giving them a lopsided grin. 

Emmeline wrenched out of Clara’s grip, her worry for Gwen overpowering her self preservation. 

But Gwen appeared to be doing fine, pushing aside the curtain of vines and making a squeal of excitement. “Is it really? May I have your autograph…” her voice trailed off as Clara wrapped her tiny fingers around Emmeline’s arm again. 

“What’s happening?” Newt hissed through gritted teeth. 

“These people are trying to help us,” Emmeline explained just as Clara said,”The soldiers have found you.” 

Clara hurried through the tunnel, eventually letting go of Emmeline and Newt as she grabbed a sack and began filling it. More of the Sprite Hunters - or whoever they were - began to filter in to the room. It appeared to be a dining room of sorts, only there wasn’t a table and the food was in piles. 

“Someone find Forrest and Coral,” Clara called out to the crowed. “And tell them that they better get down here this instant or so help me…” 

“Sheesh, Clara, we’re here,” a dark haired girl smirked, grabbing another bag. She was followed by another boy, who followed the same actions. The rest of the group seemed to sense something was wrong and dispersed. Newt was tugging on Emmeline’s sleeve. 

“What exactly happened?” he whispered fiercely. 

“I Read Clara because she was poisoned and they wanted a cure - it was my exchange for freedom. I saved Clara so Gwen said she would send help with us on the way to Ibeni. “Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to help our help.” 

Emmeline pushed herself away from Newt, opening her satchel and piling in anything useful she could find. Clara thanked her with her eyes. 

They were interrupted by the sound of pounding feet - marching soldiers, possibly. “Come, we must run,” Clara announced. “Follow me.” She leapt to her feet, quickly followed by who Emmeline could assume were Coral and Forrest. Although Newt was hesitant, he joined them as well and Clara lead them down another tunnel. 

Gwen started yelling, a sound that sent shivers down Emmeline’s spine. It sounded like a battle cry, which comforted Emmeline a little. But the woman was fighting against soldiers, wasn’t she? 

Clara rushed Newt and Emmeline ahead, Coral and Forrest following quickly but silently. These people seemed very sneaky, and if Emmeline hadn’t trusted them she probably would’ve been skeptical. But Clara proved dependable as they finally reached daylight again. The small girl pushed on the wall, and with the help of Forrest the boulder rolled away. “Wood,” Clara whispered with a smile. 

Emmeline followed Newt out of the hole and into the dense forest. The sun was completely hidden by the canopy of leaves, and Emmeline felt right at home in the darkness. 

“We need to get a little further,” Clara decided as she pushed the wooden rock back into place. 

“Won’t the soldiers be able to track us?” Newt asked her, obviously still not pleased that Emmeline had friended them without his permission. But she would deal with him later, and hopefully the joking Newt would return. 

Clara scowled. “Probably,” she said, but then a smile grew on her face. “But there’s a village not far away. Maybe we can stay the night there.” 

Coral and Forrest nodded in agreement but Emmeline shook her head. “Newt and I, well, we’re wanted everywhere. Villages won’t help us - for now we need to steer clear of everyone.” 

“I can help with hiding our tracks,” Coral said, her voice whispery and soft as her pale blue eyes. She closed her eyes and moved her hands around. 

Emmeline gasped as tiny droplets of water floated off the plants and the ground, forming a liquid sphere in front of Coral. Clara beckoned for them to walk and Emmeline watched as Coral covered their tracks, washing them away with her sphere of water. 

Every time the sphere grew small, Coral would pause and close her eyes, summoning more water. 

“She’s from Nelith,” Clara whispered. “A Blessed. I’m a Blessed from Elyviel, and Forrest is Cursed from Rackelofft.” So Coral can control water and Clara can heal people, Emmeline thought to herself. But if Forrest was Cursed, did he carry anything … bad? Clara seemed to notice Emmeline’s suspicion. “He just can’t have a family, they always die. He also gets really angry sometimes and Gwen makes him drink tea to calm him. But he’s good with a sword, so…” 

Forrest unsheathed a wicked looking sword, smiling a toothy grin and looking eager to slice something. Emmeline didn’t want to be around him when he was angry. 

No one spoke as Clara lead the pack, weaving around the trees, a perfect sense of direction. Coral walked behind them, washing away their boot prints. Newt kept trying to speak to Emmeline but she wasn’t taking any of it. 

She was too consumed by her worry for the boy and her thoughts of Clara’s reading. 

But mainly the boy, because what if they were too late? 


The day shifted into night and it became clear that Clara was still recovering from her poisoning. Newt was grumbling complaints, but when Forrest started a fire and began to cook food on it he smiled slightly. 

The fire was warm and it made Emmeline tired but she didn’t want to sleep. To rest meant visions. And she didn’t want Coral, Forrest, or Clara to know the weight of her Readings. What if they thought she was weird or possessed or something. Or even worse; what if they asked her to Read them too? 

“So, you’re a Reader, huh?” Coral turned to Emmeline, whose stomach sunk. Of course, Coral, Clara, and Forrest had probably never seen a live Reader before. She nodded and Coral smiled brightly. “That’s so crazy!” 

Emmeline blushed, trying to end the conversation before it even started. But Forrest had taken the bait, assuming Emmeline’s nod meant she was willing to talk. 

“So,” Forrest began, grinning widely. “You Read Clara, right? What did you see? Who else have you Read, like anyone important? What have you seen?” He paused, nearly shaking with anticipation. 

“Um, I did Read Clara, but everyone else I’m not supposed to say. And I can’t really say what I saw.” Emmeline fell silent, staring at her hands in her lap. “Besides, I…” 

Coral cut her off. “Could you Read me? Or maybe Forrest? I have always wanted to be Read!” She was nearly bouncing with excitement, and Emmeline shrunk back, trying to disappear into the darkness. 

“I don’t want to Read you,” Emmeline whispered. Coral’s face fell and Forrest stopped bouncing. “Readings give me visions, they haunt me. That’s all I can say. Goodnight.” 

Emmeline turned around, lying on the ground as she closed her eyes. She hoped sleep would not find her, and maybe that the others would ignore her and pretend she was asleep too. She never wanted to Read anyone again. 

Newt mumbled something about taking first watch and said something else Emmeline couldn’t make out, but Forrest and Coral laughed. Clara decided that they all needed sleep and Coral volunteered to take first watch with Newt. Emmeline kept quiet as they all laid down their blankets and the silence soon took over. 

Emmeline couldn’t help it, she drifted off to sleep. The visions came. 


This is the Library of Knowledge,” Newt scoffed, a hint of the old him returned to his eyes. “I thought it would be more … smart? Anyone else?” 

Emmeline shared his reservations. They had left their camp just before dawn after sorting through materials and food, distributing weapons. The sun had just risen when they arrived at the Library of Knowledge, the temple in a large clearing. 

“I must say, I am a bit disappointed,” Coral admitted, sidling right up to Newt. The pair had bonded over their watch, which made Emmeline glad that Gwen had sent Coral and Forrest along. It made carrying the loads less strenuous, and it allowed Emmeline the comfort of knowing someone had her back. 

Emmeline had been expecting a large, marble building with winding staircases and lines stretching for miles to come and see Ibenily. 

The reality was a mildly disappointing. Although the building was marble, it wasn’t quite as large and marvelous as Emmeline had been expecting. Not to mention that there were no guards or lines at all. Even though it was early, Emmeline had been anticipating hour long lines to wait in. 

“Do we just walk in?” Clara asked, wrinkling her nose. “Seems a bit unimpressive.” 

The group had decided to wait at the edge of the clearing, just in case any soldiers or villagers were around. But the Library was deserted. 

“Let’s go before anyone shows,” Emmeline decided, ducking under the brush before anyone could stop her. “We should talk to Ibenily before anyone else shows up in case we take a long time.” 

“Is it really reasonable to talk to a Goddess at this ungodly hour?” Newt groaned, following Emmeline. 

“You should see Gwen at this time,” Forrest laughed. “She’s a literal demon.” 

“I can believe that,” Emmeline smiled. 

As they approached the Library the air grew colder until Emmeline wrapped her cloak even tighter around her. The tunics from Coral and Forrest were lightweight and a good color for blending with the forest, but the thin fabric did little to keep the heat in and out. 

“Worst case, Ibenily strikes us dead,” Newt joked. “Then we wont have anything to worry about.” 

Emmeline rolled her eyes, tension in her shoulders as she stepped foot in the temple. 

It was … empty. 

She had been expecting rows upon rows of books, maybe even some stained glass windows or something of the sort. 

The temple was empty with the exception of a stone slab on the floor and a roped off section of with a singular stool in it. Emmeline felt her heart sink. Were they in the wrong place? Or did Ibenily abandon the Library? 

“Look,” Clara pointed, shaking Emmeline out of her thoughts. “The stone has words engraved into it.” 

She bent over and Emmeline followed the girl’s gaze. 

Cost - two gold coins,” Newt read aloud. “Does anyone have gold or do we have to go rob a child too?” 

“Nah, I have some money,” Forrest held out his hand, revealing a small pouch of gold coins. “It’s my life savings, but what the heck. When else will I get the chance to talk to a goddess?” 

He placed to gold coins on the stone and they began to glow. 

Emmeline took a step back as the coins evaporated in a mist of sparks. And then a voice sounded, echoing through the corners of the room. “Interesting,” the voice purred. 

“Ibenily?” Emmeline choked out. “Is that you?” 

The voice laughed, a musical sound. “Of course, darling. But who are you and what makes you think you can talk to me?” 

“What?” 

“Here’s the deal, darling. You prove to me that you’re worth my time and I’ll spend a few minutes answering the questions from the two of you who prove yourself to be the most worthy. Your time starts whenever the first person displays their talent. I’ll be watching,” Ibenily explained, a hint of a amusement in her voice. 

Emmeline shared a look with Newt. Of course Ibenily would turn this into a competition - which meant that unless the others had “unimpressive” talents, the boy would remain unknown in his whereabouts. 

Just as Emmeline was about to mention that they needed to stay focused, Coral waved her arms and summoned all of the water in the room and outside in the surrounding forest. The other girl molded the water with her hands, shaping and sculpting the liquid until it resembled a fox and placed it on the floor. The fox scurried around, trailing water as it danced around the room. 

Forrest grabbed his sword and unsheathed it, slicing and stabbing at the water fox. It disappeared with a pop as Forrest finished his attacks with a flourish, resheathing his sword with incredible grace. 

Before Emmeline could stop the others and tell them that they needed to work out a plan, Clara grabbed Forrest’s sword. 

She dragged it across her wrist, a stream of blood dripping from the cut. But before her eyes, Emmeline watched as Clara’s wound healed almost immediately. The skin grew back together as the blood seeped back into her wound. 

And then Newt’s eyes rolled back into his head, his knees stiffened and Emmeline tried to call out and tell him to stop. 

But she felt a cold feeling in her chest, and a white phantom burst from her. Emmeline gasped as the misty phantom began to form a human, a person that seemed familiar to her even though she didn’t recognize them. 

It was an older female, one that had beautiful sandy hair and green eyes the shade of the forest leaves. She smiled at Emmeline, waving at her as she twirled in the air. 

“Who is she?” Clara asked, staring up at the phantom. 

“I have no idea,” Emmeline breathed as the ghostly figure descended in front of Emmeline. “She is a figure from my past - that’s the only thing Newt can summon.” 

The figure reached out, grabbing Emmeline’s hand in hers. Emmeline recoiled in shock, unsure of what was supposed to be happening. The figure opened her mouth as if to say something, but no sound came out. The woman seemed to realize that she was mute and frowned. 

But then she reached out further for Emmeline’s shoulder. Before her misty fingers could reach the tips of Emmeline’s hair, the woman let out a silent scream as Newt stumbled back to the present, doubling over, his hair sweaty. 

Emmeline fell silent, the ghost of the phantom woman still haunting her. She could almost feel the misty fingers on her shoulder. 

“What are you going to display, my dear?” Ibenily whispered. “The others have shown their talents, but you have yet to show me anything.” 

“I don’t have a talent,” Emmeline admitted, blushing wildly. “You must be mistaken.” 

“I know all, darling,” Ibenily seemed to smirk. “And I know exactly what power you possess. Would you care to demonstrate?” 

“How?” Emmeline whispered, her fingers tingling in the anticipation of a Reading. 

Ibenily purred, but provided no answer. Instead, Emmeline felt herself being shoved towards the others, who instinctively stepped backwards. 

Emmeline tried to move away from her friends. She didn’t want to Read them! What was Ibenily thinking? “I don’t want to Read them!” Emmeline cried out in protest as the mysterious force edged her towards Newt. “Stop!” 

“You don’t have to Read them,” Ibenily said. “There is another option, so demonstrate that instead.” 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Emmeline groaned, pushing against the force harder, her feet sliding across the floor as Newt was pushed against a wall. She was genuinely confused and frustrated now. What was Ibenily even talking about? 

The force stopped and Emmeline nearly tripped, but she was able to regain her footing at the last second. 

“You must jest, child. Surely you know what powers I speak of?” Ibenily seemed confused - something that should’ve been impossible for an all knowing Goddess. Emmeline shifted uncomfortably. 

“I still have no idea what you’re talking about,” Emmeline admitted. 

Ibenily humphed. “I have made my decision. Although everyone had wonderful talents, I need to speak to the Reader and the Blessed of Dixral. The rest of you may wait outside until i finish speaking with these two.” 

“We just got ditched by the Goddess of Knowledge, didn’t we?” Clara grumbled as her, Coral, and Forrest reluctantly left the Library. 

Emmeline kept her distance from Newt, still unsure if Ibenily would want her to test these unknown powers on him. Newt didn’t seem to notice, and if he did he remained quiet. Ibenily’s presence had nearly disappeared, leaving a chill in the air. 

And then a figure began to materialize on the stool. 

It was a woman with hair as white as the snow that occasional blanketed the ground. Emmeline could almost feel the power radiating off of the Goddess. The woman wore a long, white robe and her skin was almost as pale as her hair. To say it was an odd sight would be an understatement. 

Emmeline felt a blush rising to her cheeks as she suddenly felt underdressed and unappreciative. 

“I don’t normally show myself to visitors,” Ibenily explained with a sigh, straightening her robes. “Not to mention that your group is the first in what seems like forever. People just don’t seek knowledge anymore, do they.” 

“Umm, don’t you have some answers?” Newt interrupted, ignoring the glare Emmeline was sending his way. 

“You didn’t ask any questions,” Ibenily pointed out, but then she laughed, revealing impossibly white teeth. It was almost blinding. “But then again, I am the Goddess of Knowledge. I know the questions you seek answer to. So here’s the deal: I will provided you an amount of answers I consider fair. Then, the boy will leave and the Reader and I will speak one on one.” 

Emmeline nodded, steeling herself for the information Ibenily would provide. Newt didn’t seem happy about leaving Emmeline, but he didn’t argue either. 

“The boy you seek - his name is Beckett,” Ibenily began. Emmeline stifled a gasp. Wasn’t Beckett the name of the boy Clara had been calling for in her Reading? “The boy is located near the Eclipse Lake in Zachryose, and he is being closely guarded.” 

“Is that all?” Emmeline asked. The knowledge was helpful, of course, but it seemed so … vague. 

Ibenily thought for a moment before turning to Newt. “You wish to know if you are Cursed or Blessed, but that is information I unfortunately must withhold. My sister wishes you to discover this in your own time, she believes it will come helpful when the time presents itself. I can tell you, however, that your power will be quite useful in the future.” 

Then Ibenily looked straight at Emmeline, a small smile forming on her lips. “You may go now, Newt. Dixral informs me I shall not reveal anymore.” 

Newt hung his head low, grumbling something that Emmeline was glad she couldn’t understand. But the second Newt disappeared, the Library felt cold again. Not many people would have one on one time with a Goddess, but it made Emmeline extremely nervous. 

“So, child, have you made any … guesses?” Ibenily asked, smirking. 

“Guesses?” Emmeline scoffed. “Of course not. Life isn’t some big game.” 

“For some, it might be,” Ibenily shrugged. “For an immortal being such as myself, human’s lives are just games for us.” 

“Are you going to tell me or should I leave?” Emmeline grumbled, already frustrated with the Goddess. “Because I’m not in the mood to guess what ‘amazing’ powers I have. Reading is a curse enough.” 

“Did you know that I helped create Readers?” Ibenily interjected, staring at her fingers. Emmeline fell silent, shocked by this development. “Your species was created by me and some of my sisters. We wanted to … spice up the world a bit. The markings on the peoples’ skin wasn’t always there.” 

“Why are you telling me this?” Emmeline whined. 

“To show you that I know all kinds of things about the Readers,” Ibenily explained. “We created a Reader to Read, of course. But we also gave them a hidden ability, a hidden power in case the markings ever went wrong.” Ibenily was staring at Emmeline now, her milky white eyes focused on the small girl. “We gave them the power to Write.” 

“Writing?” Emmeline asked. “Like on a piece of paper?” 

“Writing,” Ibenily smiled. “Like changing the markings and the future.”



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

21 Views
Added on June 25, 2020
Last Updated on June 25, 2020
Tags: short stories, young adult, teen, adventure, fantasy, prophecy, death, fortune teller, mythology, magic


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.