The Reader - Chapter 19

The Reader - Chapter 19

A Chapter by A.L.

Chapter 19 

The times for laughing were over. Forrest and Coral were standing with Angel, the horse was loaded with a fair amount of food. Coral’s bow and quiver were strapped across her back under her dark green cloak, her hair weaved into a braid that cascaded downwards. Forrest had both of his swords sheathed at the moment. 

Beckett wasn’t present. He had stayed hidden the entire night, possibly sleeping in Wiley’s room. Clara claimed she had seen him earlier in the morning right before the execution. 

Now the small girl was holding back her tears. “I really wish you could stay,” Clara whispered. She looked up at Coral and Forrest, and Emmeline reminded herself that Clara had grown up with these two. The emotion that Emmeline was feeling was only a fraction of what Clara had to be dealing with. 

“You know we have to go, Clara,” Forrest sighed. “We did well, but my Curse is a threat to all of you. Please be careful and maybe we can meet again.” 

“On the other side,” Clara said softly. 

“On the other side,” Forrest and Coral repeated together, their voices forming perfect harming. 

It has to be a Sprite Hunters thing, Emmeline thought to herself. She had no idea what the saying meant but it sounded hopeful. “I really will miss you,” Emmeline told them, her voice thick with emotion. She didn’t know what she would do if Coral and Forrest died. Not that she would know - they couldn’t exactly ride back on Angel after dying just to say hello. 

“I’ll miss you too,” Coral smiled sadly. 

“Oh!” Clara interrupted. “Before I forget, I have something to give all of you.” 

She dug through her cloak pockets, rummaging for something. Finally, Clara opened the palm of her hand revealing six small, dark cords with a wooden charm at the end of each. 

“They’re bracelets, I made one for each of us, and they all have a seperate charm. Mine is a flower because of potions and healing. Forrest has a sword and Coral has a water droplet. Emmeline’s is a book ‘cause Reading, and Newt has a skull for death. I made Beckett a crown but he’s not here so I’ll give it to him later.” Clara handed each of them one of the bracelets. 

Emmeline ran her fingers over the smooth wooden book. It was one of the first meaningful items she had ever been gifted. She tied the cord tightly around her wrist and the others did the same. 

“These are amazing, Clara, thanks,” Coral exclaimed. “I love it so much and this way I’ll never ever forget you.” 

“The man that made them for me said that he infused the wood with a good luck charm or something. He was an odd person, but these are wonderful.” Clara stared deeply at her tiny charm. “You never know.” 

“It’s great,” Newt said. “I can’t believe you thought to get us something like this.” 

“Our friendship is eternal now,” Clara explained, tucking Beckett’s charm bracelet back into her pocket. “I had another woman cover the pendants with a special coating that’ll make them invincible - or so she said.” 

“Thanks again,” Emmeline smiled. 

Forrest whispered something into Coral’s ears and she broke into a melancholy smile. “Forrest is right. He and I have to go now or we’re going to be stuck in the worst parts of the forest at night. This is farewell - but only for now.” 

“Farewell,” Clara whispered. “Until we meet again.” 

“In life or in death,” Coral continued. 

“The miles keeping us apart,” Forrest added. 

“Will never break the bond that holds us close,” the three of them finished together. Clara fell apart, breaking into tears. 

“So long,” Emmeline said, holding her own tears back. 

“Good luck,” Newt told them. 

Coral nodded, climbing onto Angel. Forrest hopped on behind her and the pair clicked their tongues until Angel sped up into a gallop. 

Soon, the only trace of the pair was a cloud of dust on the horizon. 

“Farewell!” Clara cried out again one more time, breaking into a fractured girl that cracked Emmeline’s heart. 

Emmeline could do nothing to comfort the girl, so she let her cry until Clara collapsed into a sleeping pile of emotion. Newt scooped her up, careful not to hit her ginger head on the doorframe as he carried her inside. Emmeline followed, shutting the door softly behind her. 

She took the words Coral and Forrest spoke to heart. The miles that separated them would never break the bond they had as friends. 

Emmeline didn’t know what else to do, so she prayed to whatever Goddesses she could think of. Please, please, please, keep them safe. Help Coral and Forrest to get to whatever they need to find. Help them find sanctuary and peace. There was no response, but then again, the Goddesses were always busy with the Rogues. She only hoped they could help her friends. 


Emmeline waited until the evening to go and see Wiley again. Clara was still asleep, but Newt had found Beckett and given him the charm bracelet. They had eaten a late lunch before Lena had left for work again. She was scarce these days - always training for battle. 

“You’re late,” Wiley smirked as she walked through the door. Emmeline sent him a glare. “I know, I know,” he sighed when she opened her mouth to protest. “The young prince told me of your … emotional day. I hope you’re mentally stable enough for today’s lesson.” 

Emmeline took a seat, crossing her legs and pulling out her pen. “I’m ready,” she decided, sounding very determined. 

Wiley smiled genuinely - which was something he rarely did. “I’m glad you’re so excited. Because I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but…” 

“Get to the chase, sir,” Emmeline said, putting emphasis on the last word just like Wiley would. He smiled once but it quickly faded until his normal frowning expression. “What’s wrong?” 

“You know how to Read without Reading,” Wiley said. “You know what the symbols mean. But Writing does not take just any normal pen. There are only a few pens in existence that can complete the job you need.”

Oh. Emmeline felt her stomach plummet. Her job was far from done - she had thought once she learned to Write she could simply do it. But now, Wiley was telling her she had to go find a pen - a pen so scarce he didn’t even own one. It was like a thousand swords were being slammed into her chest.

“Where can I find one?” Emmeline asked, determined to keep her voice steady. 

Wiley broke into another smile, this one sad. “I was hoping you’d ask. You see, I only know where one of these pens happens to be.” He pointed to a hand drawn map on the parchment in front of Emmeline. “Have you ever heard of the Beach of Lost in Nelith?” His finger grazed the very corner of the map. 

“I’ve heard stories,” Emmeline admitted. She had never been there herself. Zoro had preferred to avoid beaches and water villages due to the fact that he never learned to swim. Rumor had that one could find lost things on the Beach of Lost. 

Swords, socks, blankets, children, confidence - everything was there.

“The only pen I know of is somewhere on the Beach. It used to be mine, about fifty years ago I lost it to a pair of soldiers and a river.” Wiley looked solemnly out the window, deep in thought. “The pen is on the Beach of Lost. Get to Nelith, find it, and then Write Beckett. Are you ready?” 

Emmeline wanted to say yes, but something stopped her from speaking. She couldn’t go just yet. She wasn’t actually ready. 

“I don’t know that I’m ready,” Emmeline admitted, her voice low. 

Wiley’s brow wrinkled in confusion. “What do you mean? I have trained you well, and with your sword training you should be a master at this.” 

“I haven’t been to any sword training,” Emmeline said. 

Wiley gasped, and then sighed. He looked disappointed. “Listen here, kid. Today, I will give you the talent I have with weapons. It’s a simple transferral procedure. Tomorrow I will teach you to access hidden power inside you. Then you will depart.” 

The plan sounded solid to Emmeline. “Will it hurt?” she asked, not even bothering to agree aloud. 

Wiley smiled wickedly and placed his freezing hands on her shoulders. Emmeline felt something cool pass through her as Wiley mumbled several words that sounded suspiciously like a spell. 

When his fingers lifted off of her shoulders, Emmeline felt different. Stronger. Her muscles knew how to move and she grabbed her pen and waved it around in the air like a dagger, stabbing with it and dodging invisible attacks. She laughed with glee and looked towards Wiley. 

“Thanks,” she began, but the words died on her lips. Wiley was gone, a simple note scribbled on the parchment on her desk. 

Tomorrow, it read. Emmeline folded it and placed it in her pocket. Tomorrow would be the last day before she left for the Beach of Lost. 

But how would she tell her friends? 


The moon was full and it cast a fair amount of silvery light through the bedroom window. Clara had woken while Emmeline was with Wiley, and Beckett had been comforting her with a meal he claimed he made himself, though there was a soft scent of smoke wafting through the air. 

Emmeline rubbed her finger over the tiny book charm on her bracelet, biting her lip. She didn’t know how she was supposed to tell the others that she was leaving. 

She knew that they would insist on coming, and there would be no stopping them from arguing. Emmeline wanted to at least bring Beckett with her. The sooner she found the pen the sooner she could Write Beckett and there was no sense in travelling twice the distance. Maybe they could even catch up with Coral and Forrest, though they were probably far away by now. 

Newt and Clara would want to come as well, but they would be safer here in the village. Lena could care for them like the mother she was pretending to be. Maybe Clara and Newt could train hard enough to become generals of their makeshift army if worse came to worst. 

Newt was studying some of Emmeline’s notes from Wiley. After he discovered that Beckett was helpful to her by learning the symbols, the older boy had decided he wanted to help Emmeline as well. He wasn’t as fast of a learner as Beckett, but Emmeline appreciated the thought. 

“So, how was training?” Clara asked, turning to Emmeline and interrupting her thoughts. “Beckett said Wiley was estimating you’d be done soon.” 

Newt looked up from his parchment , staring straight at Emmeline. She felt a blush rise to her cheeks. “I, uh, actually wanted to tell you guys about that,” she said in a hushed tone. “Wiley said I have one more day of training where he’ll try to teach me something. But after that I have to go to the Beach of Lost in Nelith to find a special pen for Writing.” 

Newt let the parchment fall to the floor. “I’m coming with you,” he said. 

“I assumed you would want to,” Emmeline replied. “But I think Beckett should be the only one to travel with me. Then I can Write him immediately upon finding the pen.” 

“You’ll need a fighter and a healer too,” Clara interjected, gesturing towards herself and Newt. “Emmeline, you can’t just leave us behind because you don’t want us in danger. We’re in danger everywhere we go, no matter what. So stop being stubborn and let us join you.” 

“Don’t give her a choice,” Newt suggested to Clara. “If she tries to leave without us we’ll just follow her.” 

“That’s uncalled for,” Beckett interrupted. “Emmeline is right - and I’m not just saying that because she let me come. Lighter travel is faster travel. Besides, my magic will be more than enough to protect us and heal us.” 

“Emmeline, you can’t be serious,” Newt said, a hint of bitterness seeping into his words. “We’re all in this no matter what. I made the choice to risk my life when I left the caravan to help you find Beckett, so it should be my decision if I want to come.” He crossed his arms and glared at her. 

“I’ll be fine,” Emmeline lied. She knew she was running an even greater risk by leaving Newt and Clara. Newt’s sword skills rivaled Forrest’s, plus he could summon a skeleton army if they needed it. And Clara was a wonderful healer, she could save them from death. 

“Please bring us,” Clara begged. “I’ll go insane if I stay here while you risk your life.” 

“I don’t leave for two days,” Emmeline said carefully. “Maybe I’ll consider bringing you along. But I don’t know if I want to risk your life for this small journey.” 

Small?” Newt scoffed. “From Layene to Nelith is no small journey. That’s too far for you and Beckett to go alone. He’s twelve, and both of you act like children, for goddess sakes!” He rolled his eyes, and Emmeline could feel the venom in his voice. 

“I’m one hundred and twelve, thank you very much,” Beckett spat. 

“A century in a comatose state doesn’t count,” Clara argued. “You and I are the same age, so if you can go then so can I.” 

“Again, I’m not making any decision until tomorrow night,” Emmeline repeated, silencing Newt before he could argue. “Now, I’m going to go tell Lena the basic gist of me leaving so that she doesn’t freak out.” 

Emmeline stood and left, mainly to avoid any more arguments. She reminded herself the Newt’s anger would fade eventually - probably. Was it really just a few hours before that she had cried to him for Marlene? It felt like forever ago already, and Emmeline had shed far too many tears in one day. 

She found Lena at the entrance to the village, carrying her spear in one hand and nodding off while standing up. “Lena,” Emmeline whispered into her ear. Lena’s eyes fluttered open and she gasped loudly. 

“Asleep again!” the woman cried out, cursing under her breath. “Sorry, Emmeline. What did you need?” 

“Um,” Emmeline stuttered, unsure of how to phrase it. She had practiced the words in her head the whole walk, but still they failed her. This woman had taken her and her friends in out of pure kindness. How was she supposed to tell Lena that she was leaving?

“Ah, so it is finally time,” Lena said softly, realization flooding her features. “You and the others will leave soon. Tomorrow or the day after?” 

“The day after,” Emmeline answered, eyes wide. How did Lena know? 

“Wiley spoke to me,” Lena said, reading Emmeline’s mind. “I never told you why I live in the old Reader’s tower, but Wiley is my grandfather. The trait of Readership was not passed down to me, but I still live with him.” 

“That makes sense,” Emmeline thought aloud. She was stupid to have missed it before. Of course Wiley was Lena’s grandfather. They looked similar, and Lena seemed to know a lot about him. She wasn’t being kind out of nowhere by lending her house to Emmeline and the others. Emmeline belonged to the tower and it belonged to her. 

“Well, thanks for at least letting me know,” Lena sighed. “I knew you wouldn’t be here forever so it doesn’t pain me to imagine you leaving. I hope one day you will return, maybe in peace rather than a time where war hangs overhead.” 

“I’m grateful for your hospitality, and so are the others,” Emmeline thanked her. “You’ve been, well, you’ve been like the mother none of us have ever had.” 

Lena laughed. “I wouldn’t go that far, Emmeline. I am no mother to you. But you are welcome for everything - I am glad to share my house with one who rightfully deserves it.” The woman fell silent. “But if I should be a mother to you, I order you to go to bed.” 

“Yes, mum,” Emmeline whispered with a laugh. 

The talk had gone easier than expected, at least with Lena. With her friends, however, Emmeline had no clue how she would decide. 

Beckett would come, no matter what. 

But Clara and Newt? Emmeline decided she would ask Wiley what he thought the next day during her final lesson. 

Hopefully, he would offer her good advice - not a joke. 

With Wiley, one could ever know. Emmeline smiled to herself. She would miss him over her journey, but Beckett’s words from beside the pool came back to her and interrupted her thoughts of Wiley. 

What would she do after the war was over or stopped? 


Excitement wove through Emmeline’s limbs as she climbed the steps to Wiley’s classroom. It was evening once again - Emmeline had missed the afternoon lesson due to completely forgetting. She and Beckett had been grabbing food and other materials for their journey - including the book that Ibenily had given them. 

After an hour and a half of searching it became clear the Coral and Forrest must have taken the book because it was completely gone. Beckett was disappointed and Emmeline realized with a start that she had missed her lesson with Wiley. 

Now, the sun was setting and Wiley’s classroom was a mess. Everything was thrown to the sides of the room and the dead man was nowhere in sight. 

“Wiley?” Emmeline called out tentatively. “Are you here?” 

“Emmeline?” Wiley appeared behind his desk, his hair disheveled and his normal mischievous smile absent. “Ah, you’re here. I thought, well, … I thought you forgot.” Emmeline could tell Wiley was lying. 

“I did forget earlier,” she admitted. “But I remembered to come tonight. What were you going to tell me?” 

“I’m afraid I don’t have much time,” Wiley said quickly. “Listen, you have to go on with your journey - no matter what.” 

“What are you talking about?” Emmeline asked, panicked. 

Wiley’s ominous tone was scaring her. What was he talking about? It sounded like something bad was going to happen. 

“The Goddesses created Readers,” Wiley explained in his quick pace. “And they wanted their creation to last. So each Goddess contributed some of their power into defensive magical abilities for the Readers. They wanted the Readers to live.” 

“I’m like Beckett?” Emmeline gasped, not quit grasping the concept. 

“No,” Wiley said, shaking his head. “Beckett’s power comes from elsewhere. But deep inside you is magic gifted from the Goddesses themselves. Dig down and you will find it. Use your power only in danger.” 

“How?” Emmeline asked. “Wiley, you have to train me, not tell me things!” 

“I’m afraid there’s no time for that,” Wiley shook his head sadly. “You were a wonderful student, Emmeline. Tell the prince I am terribly sorry.” 

“Wiley?!” Emmeline cried, her voice panicked and high pitched. 

All of the sudden, the door slammed open, revealing a group of women. They all looked different, but each one wore a dark tunic that shimmered in the dim firelight of Wiley’s torches. Each one held a weapon, pointed at her. 

“Don’t move,” the one in the front ordered. 

Rogues. The word popped into Emmeline’s mind, and she realized that her brain was right. The Rogues had found her and Wiley. Their silvery weapons looked terrifying, but Emmeline wondered why they weren’t using their magic. They were demigoddesses (possibly) after all. 

Wiley was staring at her like he was waiting for her to access her hidden powers. Emmeline shook her head. She had no idea what she was supposed to do, she felt no heat or rush of adrenaline. 

Then there was an explosion of motion. Wiley leapt in front of Emmeline, startling the Rogues. One of them shot an arrow and it spun through the air. 

Emmeline thought time seemed to slow down. The arrow found its place in Wiley’s chest. Emmeline was surprised - she thought ghosts couldn’t be killed. No blood spilled from the wound but Wiley gave a loud gasp before disappearing into thin air and forming a silvery mist. 

The mist rose, forming a large wall between Emmeline and the Rogues. 

She knew there would be no easy escape. Wiley had provided her a few seconds of time to think of a way to find her way out. But the door was blocked and the only other place was…

Emmeline didn’t think. She shoved her fear back to a dark corner of her brain before flipping the locks on the window. The wind blew strongly against her as the cold air rushed into her face. Behind Emmeline, the Rogues threw their weapons at her to no avail. The silvery wall prevented any of them from hitting her. 

Wiley’s second death burned in Emmeline’s heart but she pushed the thought down. 

Please help me to live, Emmeline pleaded to anyone who would listen. 

Then she threw herself from the window and into the open air. 



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on July 27, 2020
Last Updated on July 27, 2020
Tags: short stories, teen, young adult, adventure, fantasy, death, prophecy, fortune teller, magic, mythology


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.