The Reader - Chapter 24

The Reader - Chapter 24

A Chapter by A.L.

Chapter 24 

While Emmeline was in shock from Beckett’s entrance, Baelle’s anger only seemed to grow. The full Goddess screamed and at once Emmeline felt her wound ripping back open. Baelle’s shriek stopped as Beckett threw a dagger at her. 

Baelle ducked, but the knife struck her in the shoulder. Emmeline’s wound closed again, but she could feel blood leaking down her shirt. 

“What did I miss?” Beckett asked. 

“Oh, just me dying,” Emmeline responded wryly. “We need to go - and now! They’re going to kill Newt. Did you manage to get any weapons?” 

“Just two swords from the soldiers,” Beckett shrugged, handing Emmeline one of the blades. She twirled it in her hand, the weight perfect for her. “But we have my magic, so we’ll be fine.” 

“Should we kill Baelle?” Emmeline asked, but when she turned back to the Goddess she saw that the woman had disappeared. Emmeline cursed under her breath. 

It might have been her only chance to kill the Goddess and now it was gone. Stupid. 

“We best get going,” Beckett suggested. 

“Wait,” Emmeline stopped him, remembering the pen that she had used as a weapon on herself. If she could stab herself surely she could stab others as well. The time for mercy was long gone. 

She ran to the pen, wiping off the blood on her tunic and following Beckett up the steps. 

He seemed to have no problem navigating the castle, unlike Emmeline. She stumbled over multiple bodies. She didn’t know if they were dead or unconscious, but at this point she didn’t care. 

“Where do you think they’re holding Newt?” Beckett asked her. “I’ve only been out of my room for meals, so I don’t know the entire layout…” 

“The garden,” Emmeline answered. She didn’t know if Newt would actually be there, but it seemed like Baelle preferred the place to others. Beckett nodded, thinking for only a moment before breaking into a jog. 

Emmeline followed suit, her muscles protesting. Apparently almost dying didn’t cut anyone slack when it came to exercise. 

The garden was silent. The plants seemed to be holding their breath and the only sound was Emmeline’s labored gasps for air. Beckett was the first to spot something that would help them, and Emmeline clutched her sword tighter. 

A trail of blood led the way to the middle of the garden. Emmeline ducked behind a bush as Beckett leapt into a flowering plant. 

Right in front of the entrance to the tower were several guards as well as a kneeling Newt. His hands were bound with a thick rope and his tunic was coated in blood. The sight made Emmeline dizzy, but Beckett didn’t seem affected. 

“We attack,” Beckett mouthed to her, but Emmeline shook her head. They couldn’t risk one of these guards killing Newt. 

But what were they waiting for? Maybe Baelle had told them that Beckett and Emmeline were running free. She obviously knew how much Emmeline cared for the boy, and it was possible that she had formed this as a trap. 

“Fine,” Emmeline mouthed back at last. Beckett nodded and gave a thumbs up. 

Emmeline counted down on her fingers. Three. Two. One. Attack! 

She launched herself into the crowd with a feral cry of war. Beckett kept more quiet but Emmeline saw he was a blur of action. 

She whipped the sword the Beckett had given her around, striking two soldiers that had been unprepared for the attack. They gasped as blood poured from wounds on their throats. Emmeline didn’t have time to feel guilty, she continued fighting anyways. 

Wiley’s gift took over and Emmeline went into autopilot. She locked into a small battle with one of the stronger soldiers. He brought up his shield, but Emmeline slammed her sword into his knees. The blade struck but didn’t pass through and she took advantage of the guards momentary shock, stabbing her sword through his chest. 

Another guard attacked from behind and Emmeline leapt out of the way. She dodged and dived, ducking as the soldier whipped his sword around wildly. She attacked back but he spun her in a circle with the flat of his blade. Dizziness overcame her for a second, but Emmeline regained balance as the soldier attacked again. She spun behind him, driving her sword into his back. He collapsed to the ground. 

Emmeline ran to Newt, slicing off his ropes with a quick slice of her sword. 

Newt stumbled to his feet, shaking off shock and fatigue. He grabbed a sword off of a nearby fallen soldier and ran the opposite direction. 

After finishing off another handful of soldiers Emmeline glimpsed more pouring out of the castle and into the garden. She started fighting harder but her sword skittered aside and into the stampede of soldiers. 

Emmeline raised her hands in surrender, noticing out of the corner of her eye that Newt and Beckett were being forced into a similar situation. 

No, they couldn’t be surrounded. But as Emmeline spun in a slow circle all she saw were green-clad soldiers, their weapons drawn. Movement caught Emmeline’s eye and she looked up to the tower behind her to see a curtain flick closed. Baelle

Emmeline had to get into the tower, but the entrance was guarded by about fifty guards. And Emmeline was unarmed. 

Then there was a cry of war and Emmeline looked up on the roofs to see a fiery haired girl with her knives drawn. “Attack!” Clara ordered and Emmeline was surprised as all of the villagers from the Tower Ruins poured out from various hallways and windows. 

Clara leapt into battle and the soldiers were forced into fighting once again. 

Emmeline caught a glimpse of a flaming Titus out of the corner of her eye, as well as a floating Violet shooting arrows down towards the crowds. 

Emmeline reacted quickly, grabbing Newt’s arm and dragging him to the now undefended tower. He quickly caught up snatching another sword from one of the bodies. Most of the swords were gone by now, kicked into the bushes. 

“You came back for me,” Newt panted as they ran. 

“I killed for you, I died for you, I can’t very well leave you, can I?” Emmeline asked him with a laugh. 

The door to the tower was locked but Emmeline used the strength from Layene to kick it down. Pure power coursed through her veins now. She climbed the steps as fast as she could, Newt at her heels. The sounds of the battle could be heard outside, cries of anguish and the crack of swords hitting each other. 

Emmeline threw open the door at the top of the tower to find three people occupying the room. Baelle, King Gray, and … Willow? 

The older girl gulped when she saw Emmeline. The Reader’s fists clenched as she noticed that Willow was holding a knife to King Gray’s throat. He seemed almost asleep, too dreary to defend himself. 

“I’m glad you joined us,” Baelle sneered. “You’re just in time to see Willow kill King Gray and make me Queen of the Green Kingdom.” 

“Don’t do it, Willow,” Newt cried out, but vines shot out from the wall, yanking Newt against the stone and gagging him. He struggled helpless, sword clattering to the floor. Baelle shot a glare at the blade and it dissolved into thin air. 

“Willow,” Emmeline began, but her voice failed her. 

“She promised me glory, that’s more than my father ever offered me,” Willow whispered. “She told me if I poisoned you and brought you here that I could rule at her side.” 

The confession sounded truthful enough. Emmeline knew that Zoro hadn’t always been the kindest to Willow. She wasn’t special like the rest of his performers. It was reasonable that she wanted a position of power, even though she couldn’t impress a dead man. 

“Why keep me alive?” Emmeline asked, turning her gaze to Baelle and ignoring Willow. “Why not just kill me now?” 

Baelle smirked. “You can Write Willow here Queen of the Green Kingdom and she can pass on the rulership to me. I see that you kept my pen. Now get over here right now and I promise that I won’t kill your puny friend.” 

Emmeline could feel the pen in her belt growing heavier. It wanted to Write. 

But then Emmeline felt an indescribable fury sensation growing in her. It wasn’t fair that Baelle had the right to order her around. 

With a raw shout, Emmeline formed a sword out of nowhere. It fit her hand perfectly, the blade an inky black. She raced towards Baelle, sword drawn. Emmeline swung the weapon and it hit Baelle in the side. Unfortunately, Baelle had already begun teleporting to safety and the sword didn’t get a clean cut. 

Willow didn’t hesitate. Her eyes were filled with fear as she looked around for Baelle. Then she closed her eyes and drew her knife across the king’s throat. 

He fell to the ground, dead. Emmeline’s heart rose in her throat. Willow didn’t look sorry, but as Emmeline went for the final strike her confidence faltered. Willow was just a girl, the same as Emmeline. 

Her sword dropped the fraction of an inch and it was enough time for Baelle to reappear momentarily, wrapping her arms around Willow before they were both gone. Escaped. 

Newt let out a muffled cry and Emmeline ran to help him. She cut away the vines. “We need to find Baelle. She still wants me to Write Willow.” 

“If she wants you she’ll be back here,” Newt said. “What can I do to help you? Attack at the first sight?” 

Emmeline shook her head, an idea coming to mind. “Have our people evacuate the garden and the castle. Tell them to find any innocents they can and have the maids and servants escape as well. No one wants to be in this castle when I’m done here.” 

“Be safe,” Newt whispered to her, not even questioning her probably insane act. He planted a kiss on her forehead and Emmeline nodded. 

“Don’t die,” she whispered as he left, breaking into a run down the steps. 


Newt was gone. Emmeline was alone. 

She clutched her necklace in her fist, sword in the other hand. “Baelle!” Emmeline called. “Show yourself.” 

Two figures materialized in the mist. Emmeline knew this was a last resort and there was no telling what would happen. She tensed as Willow let go of Baelle, stepping behind the Goddess. Baelle was smiling wickedly. “Finally come to your senses?” 

Emmeline nodded. She glanced out the window but reminded herself Newt hadn’t been given enough time yet. 

“I’m ready,” Emmeline said, filling her voice with steel. 

“Lies, milady,” Willow whispered. “She wants to betray you. I can see it in her eyes.” 

“I know, darling,” Baelle said, cocking her head to the side. “So, little Reader, finally gained enough confidence to fight me?” 

Emmeline glanced out the window again. Most of their people were gone, with the exception of the few that had died. She didn’t know any of their names. Emmeline knew it was time for her to finally do her thing. 

She felt the gifts of the Goddesses coursing through her. 

And when Emmeline unclenched her fists there were violet flames flickering in her palms. Baelle’s eyes narrowed. 

Then Emmeline set the tower on fire. She pressed her hands to the ground, willing the fire to spread quickly. Willow shrieked as her dress was suddenly lit with purple flames. Baelle screamed but did nothing. The flames seemed to have trouble attacking her. 

So Emmeline did the only thing she could think of. 

She threw the pen as hard as it could at Baelle’s heart. She waited for the goddess to scream but instead Willow’s gaping stare met hers as the girl fell into the fire, the pen speared through her heart as she leapt in front of the goddess. 

The pen burned in the fire and Baelle screamed even louder. She met Emmeline’s eyes and with a look of pure hatred whispered, “We will meet again.” 

Then the goddess was gone leaving Emmeline in a tower of flames. 

Okay, so maybe her plan had needed some fine tuning. She was now trapped in the tower with no idea if the flames would hurt her. She stroked the fire cautiously, recoiling when the fire burned her. Now that might have been a problem. 

The flames were spreading quickly, following her command to consume the entire garden and castle and not to stop until the building was a pile of ash. 

Emmeline bolted, throwing up in the nearest window. The smoke of the fire was a dark indigo color as it spiraled into the sky. Its noxious scent made Emmeline’s head fuzzy, but she was still able to recall the adrenaline filled moment where she had leapt from the window in Wiley’s classroom. 

She didn’t hesitate this time, she jumped. 

The air cushioned her fall, but not only did it slow her down, Emmeline felt herself shooting over the roofs like a bird without wings. 

Emmeline’s inky black sword followed her, forming a sheath as it tucked itself into her belt. The pen did not follow, however, it was burnt to a crisp in the tower. There was no way Emmeline could Write anyone now. 

The crackle of the fire and the panicked sounds of crowds formed a cacophony in Emmeline’s ears, but she followed the pleas for help. 

The air set her down in front of the crowds. The injured were seeking help from Clara and a few others. Emmeline felt her feet hit the ground and she stumbled, nearly collapsing. Strong arms grabbed her and stood her straight. 

Emmeline turned and grinned at Newt, instantly wrapping her arms around his neck. He smelled like smoke, sweat, and blood. The cut on his head was still bloody. 

“You should get that checked out,” Emmeline told him as she pulled away from him. “You don’t look so hot.” He was pale, though steady on his feet. That was more than Emmeline felt.

“On the other hand, you’ve never looked better,” Newt said, smiling. “Though you might want to talk to Clara. You’re pale and you look like you could collapse.” 

“Clara has more pressing matters to attend to,” Emmeline said, waving her arm. But another round of dizziness hit her and she almost fell over again. Newt grabbed her shoulders, keeping her upright. 

“Nice sword,” he commented. “But Clara is almost done and she always has time for you.” He slowly began to push her towards the section of injured people where Clara was working. A body blocked their path and Emmeline looked up to see Titus grinning at her, a bruise forming on his eye. 

“And I thought fire was my speciality,” he laughed, glancing towards the flame consumed castle. “Nice job, matchstick.” 

Emmeline rolled her eyes, and Newt said something to Titus that she didn’t hear. 

Her balance faltered again and blackness washed over her vision for a moment. Newt was standing in front of her again. “No more complaining. We’re getting you to Clara whether you like it or not.” 

“Baelle,” Emmeline mumbled, her head fuzzy. 

“You’re safe,” Newt told her. And this time Emmeline felt like it was the truth. 

So Emmeline closed her eyes and let the darkness consume her. She knew that she was free and her friends would keep her safe. 


“Good morning, sleepy,” Newt whispered to her softly as Emmeline opened her eyes. 

She was slumped against him in the seat of a carriage, Beckett and Clara across from them and huddled for warmth. Emmeline shivered, unsure of why the carriage was so cold or where they had got it from. Stolen, most likely. 

“How long was I out?” Emmeline asked, pulling herself away from Newt. She felt crusty with blood and really wished she had Baelle’s bathroom. The other questions could wait. 

“Two days,” Clara answered, her voice soft. “You had so many injuries I don’t even know where to begin. Newt said you died but I told him he’s full of himself. But there was a wound right on your heart, as well as various other scrapes, burns, and the exertion from committing arson on an entire castle kind of took its toll on you.” 

“Two days!” Emmeline shouted. “Can someone please explain what’s going on?” 

Newt seemed the least uncomfortable. “You see, Baelle hasn’t shown her face or any sign of what she’s doing since the day you burnt down the castle. Right after you passed out her voice echoed through all of the kingdoms, declaring herself Queen of the Green Kingdom due to King Gray’s death. She also declared war on the Silver Kingdom and is drafting men and women alike to fight. 

“The villagers in Viridi weren’t happy about us being in the ruins of their castle so we were mobbed until Beckett managed to steal a few carriages. We’re riding to Faroshin because apparently we’ll be safe there until everything calms down.” Newt shared a look with Beckett and Clara. “As for casualties…” he trailed off. 

“What is it? Who died?” Emmeline asked quickly. She couldn’t live with it if any of her friends had died. 

“Violet, for one,” Newt sighed. “An assortment of others, but the Green Kingdom faced worse. Lena’s boyfriend - which none of us knew about - died protecting her but Lena is still doing fine.” 

“As for you, Echo, you owe us some answers,” Beckett interrupted. “Like why you died, how you died, what happened with Baelle - we want all the details.” 

And so Emmeline told them what had happened, as well as her repeated letters from Baelle and imprisonment in her room. She told them about how she finally agreed and the turn of events afterwards. Newt and Beckett knew some of the facts already and interjected when they thought appropriate. 

When Emmeline was done the two boys were quiet, but Clara sighed. “I only wish Coral and Forrest could be here to celebrate with us.” 

“Oh!” Emmeline exclaimed. “Baelle hinted at where they might be. She said that the Silver Kingdom had captured them and was sending them to the Green Kingdom so she could use them.” 

“But there is no Green Castle anymore, so where would they go?” Beckett said, raising his eyebrows. “I wonder … no, it couldn’t be…” 

“Don’t keep us in suspense,” Newt mumbled, rolling his eyes. 

“Baelle kept me locked away like Emmeline. I think she didn’t want me dead so she could harvest my power eventually, but I think she wanted everyone to think I was gone. I slept a lot to see if I could make my magic grow stronger, and one of the nights I saw Coral and Forrest. I assumed it was just a dream, but for some reason my dreams aren’t normally fake.” 

“Could you see where they were?” Clara asked, on the edge of her seat. 

Beckett nodded, his excitement growing. “They weren’t with anyone but there were some soldiers dead on the ground along with a carriage. But I saw something that looked like a bedroom but underground.” 

“The bunker,” Newt breathed. 

Emmeline pulled open the curtains of the carriage window and peered outside. Snow fell heavily from the sky. She waved for the driver to stop and Emmeline recognized a Blessed from Faroshin. “What can I do, miss?” 

Emmeline smiled. “Turn this carriage around, sir. We’re heading to the Crossover Forest.” 



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on August 2, 2020
Last Updated on August 2, 2020
Tags: short stories, teen, young adult, adventure, fantasy, death, prophecy, fortune teller, magic, mythology


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.