The Reader - Chapter 7

The Reader - Chapter 7

A Chapter by A.L.

Chapter 7 

“Put down your weapons and no one gets hurt,” the general ordered. The golden stars on his uniform glinted in the torchlight. His arms were exposed, the dark markings running down them seemed harsher and more violent to Emmeline. 

She tugged down the sleeves of her tunic, hoping that the general wouldn’t notice. 

“I said put the weapons down,” the general repeated. 

Forrest placed two swords on the ground and pulled a knife from his boot. Newt tossed his own knife to the floor while both Coral and Clara dropped four daggers. Emmeline was weaponless, so she stood there, head angled towards the floor. 

“Good.” The general was satisfied. “I am Captain Earnest of the Green Kingdom. You are trespassing on property of the former Prince Rook and Princess Persephone.” 

“Yeah, but weren’t they traitors or something,” Newt interrupted. Emmeline wanted to kill him if Captain Earnest didn’t kill him first. “So is it really a crime to be walking in their secret bunker?” 

“Just because they were traitors doesn’t mean that this property doesn’t belong to the Green Kingdom,” Captain Earnest humphed. “Besides, all of you are wanted for treason and therefore no matter where you are we could take you into our prisons to rot.” He smirked like their capture was a big win. Emmeline supposed it was. 

“Hey, at least we’re wanted,” Clara laughed. “Get it? Cause we are actually …” 

“Silence,” Captain Earnest ordered, leveling a crossbow at Clara’s chest. It shut her up, even though Emmeline was sure her Blessing would probably heal her anyways. “You will follow me up the hole and onto our waiting horses.” 

He gestured for them to follow. Emmeline took a cautious step forward, and then another. Her legs were shaky. At any moment she could be shown as a Reader. Most likely, Captain Earnest already knew. But his soldiers probably didn’t, and that would mean questions she didn’t want to answer.

Her hands were so slick she nearly slipped off the ladder but Newt placed his hands on her waist. Emmeline blushed but she didn’t need to worry because the captain slapped Newt across the head and the boy let go. 

When they emerged from the hole, Emmeline’s hands were bound with thick rope and a gag was tied around her head. Several horses were waiting, one for each soldiers. In total there were seven soldiers along with Captain Earnest. It was decided that Emmeline would ride with the captain due to her status as most wanted. 

Forrest rode with a guard as well but because of his superior weapons he was blindfolded as well.

Captain Earnest lifted Emmeline from the waist and plopped her onto his solid white horse. It shifted uneasily under her - Emmeline had never been good with animals. Most were scared of her - the few she’d been able to meet as part of the circus. 

Captain Earnest was behind her a few seconds later. He secured the rope on her arms to the horse’s saddle so she wouldn’t be tempted to jump off. 

Not that Emmeline would abandon the others. 

“Ride, my men,” Captain Earnest demanded. And then they were off.  

Emmeline kept dozing off despite her best efforts to keep awake. Captain Earnest rode fast and hard, his horse seemingly unburdened by the extra wait of Emmeline and her belongings. By nightfall they had reached the camp the captain had mentioned. 

Emmeline was untied from the horse and sat on the ground. 

Her wrists burned from the cruel rope but she couldn’t complain, not with the gag in her mouth. Captain Earnest tossed her stuff into the tent as the others were unloaded as well. 

“Can’t we just kill them?” one of the other soldiers asked. 

Captain Earnest shook his head. “The reward is higher if they’re alive. The horses will bear the burden well enough, and tomorrow we begin the trek back to Viridi.” 

Great, Emmeline thought to herself. Not only do we have to find Beckett, but we now have to escape from a bunch of soldiers as well. She glanced at Newt, Coral, and Clara to see if they had any plans. 

Coral was asleep still, and Newt was staring at Captain Earnest with an intense hatred. And of course Forrest was blindfolded so he wasn’t much help. 

But Clara was desperately trying to get Emmeline’s attention. Emmeline nodded, showing the girl that she was acknowledging her. Clara pointed her head forwards and Emmeline looked to where she pointed. 

There was water - not a large amount - but enough to be considered a lake. And although the camp blocked some of her view, Emmeline was sure that it was the crescent shape of Eclipse Lake. Maybe her luck hadn’t run out after all - Beckett was here! 

“Move the prisoners and keep them separated,” Captain Earnest barked suddenly. Emmeline silently cursed. There would be no way to form an escape plan if none of them were together. 

Captain Earnest strode over to her and grabbed her ropes, yanking hard. The ropes bit into her skin, drawing blood that dripped off of her into the dirt. And then something peculiar happened - the blood hit the air and stayed there, floating, until suddenly it disappeared. Emmeline shook her head, sure that she was hallucinating. 

Captain Earnest noticed her looking backwards and yanked her ropes again. Emmeline continued walking, but she couldn’t shake her nervous tension. 

There was an open tent not far away, and Captain Earnest lead her inside. Immediately Emmeline noticed that the tent wasn’t empty - there was an unconscious blonde boy with a familiar face tied to the center pole. Several guards were also sitting in the room. 

Beckett did not wake as Emmeline was sat on the opposite side of the pole nor when Captain Earnest wrapped Emmeline’s rope around the two of them, tying it off. 

“Watch both of them,” Captain Earnest ordered, his face red when the guards yawned. 

Emmeline’s arms were tied in front of her and the rest of her was secured to the pole. But one of the soldier’s must have felt sorry for her because he stood and removed her gag. “Sorry, miss,” he mumbled. “Cap’n says it’s his orders ta keep ya prisoner. But if I had a say in it, I would let ya go free.” 

“Thanks,” Emmeline mumbled, her voice hoarse. 

“Let me get ya some water,” the soldiers said. 

“Don’t let her drink. She’s a traitor!” one of the other soldiers explained. “George, you’re going to get us all killed.” 

“What is a Reader gonna do with some water?” George the Nice Guard replied with an eye roll. He grabbed a canteen from beside his cot and offered it to Emmeline, realizing too late she couldn’t hold it. Instead, he held it above her mouth and tipped it so a cool trickle of water fell into her throat. 

The water was refreshing, and Emmeline instantly trusted George. He seemed too innocent to be a guard. “Thanks again,” she whispered, voice still weak. 

“Don’t mention it - literally,” George laughed. “Now get some sleep, girly.” 

Emmeline nodded and closed her eyes. Sleep came quickly now that she wasn’t on a wild horse. 

It felt like only minutes before Emmeline was shaken awake again. At first she was expecting George or Captain Earnest, instead it was like no one was there. 

But wait - there it was again! Emmeline could feel someone unwrapping her. There was a lantern in the back corner of the tent, and Emmeline could look around. But all of the soldiers were asleep - probably against the captain’s orders. 

Suddenly, a child appeared in front of Emmeline. 

The older girl bit back a scream, but a small yelp escaped her lips. The child pressed a finger to their lips. Emmeline couldn’t make out any features - it was like the child was made of pure darkness. 

The ropes loosened even more and Emmeline was able to slip out of her bonds. 

“Who are you?” she whispered. 

The child shook their head, pressing a finger to their lips. It made a shaking motion and pointed to a still unconscious Beckett. 

Emmeline understood and grabbed Beckett, her heart still pounding from the shock. She held his shoulders and began to shake but the boy didn’t stir. “What’s happening to him?” she asked the child. 

The child placed a finger on their wrist like they were checking a pulse. 

Emmeline copied the actions and found a soft beat in Beckett’s wrist. “He’s alive.” 

The child pulled at its own lips, opening its mouth. It pointed to its tongue. Emmeline felt a recoil of disgust roll through her but swallowed it down and pulled Beckett’s lips apart. 

In his mouth placed precariously on the top of his tongue was a flower, the petals a deep blue. Emmeline remembered seeing the flower elsewhere, it was a natural sedative used to put people to sleep before medical procedures. 

Emmeline shook away her fear before reaching two tentative fingers into Beckett’s mouth and removing the flower. She dropped it to the floor as Beckett bolted upright. 

His scream died in his throat as he met eyes with her. Before Emmeline could explain she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see the child, pointing at the entrance to the tent. “Go save my friends and tell them to meet me at the edge of the lake,” Emmeline told the shadow child. 

“Who was that?” Beckett whispered. “Who are you? How did you find me?” 

“I’m Emmeline and it’s a long story,” Emmeline explained in a hushed voice. She helped Beckett to his feet. “As for the child? I think we have friends among the Goddesses.” 

Recognition flickered on Beckett’s face. “Gollare.” 

Emmeline nodded. The Goddess of Shadows and Darkness would be a good friend of Dixral and would probably help them. She had most likely formed a shadow servant with the purpose of helping them. 

“We need to go,” Emmeline told him and it was Beckett’s turn to nod. 

He followed her out of the tent and into the open. Emmeline barely remembered the layout of the camp but apparently Beckett had a superb memory because he took the lead. 

“We need weapons,” Beckett whispered. “I don’t know who you are other than the fact that you’re a Reader. But whoever you are - we need weapons to fight. There’s an inventory at the far end.” 

“Are you insane?” Emmeline hissed. 

“Probably,” Beckett shrugged. “I mean, technically I’m 100 years older than you at least and therefore I am wiser so you should listen to me.” 

Emmeline blinked. “Excuse me?” 

“I’ll explain later,” Beckett said in an almost perfect impersonation of Emmeline’s voice. “Now are you coming or what?” 

“If we die I’m going to kill you,” Emmeline threatened under her breath. Beckett smiled to himself before ducking around the corner of a tent. Emmeline followed him, trying to keep her steps light. 

She rolled her feet from heel to toe like she had been taught by the older kids at the circus who snuck out on a nightly basis. The technique did little to quiet the noise. 

Beckett darted across the opening between two tents and then repeated the action. Emmeline tried to mimic his movements but mostly managed to stumble and nearly fall onto one of the tents. Beckett rolled his eyes and beckoned her forwards. 

“Almost there,” Beckett whispered to her. Emmeline could feel the tension boiling in her stomach. She felt like she was going to puke. If they were caught that was the end. 

The boy tiptoed across the final gap between the tents and what appeared to be a stockpile of weapons. Could it really be that easy? Emmeline was doubtful but she followed Beckett anyways. 

Emmeline found the original supplies that her and the others had used before their capture and began to hoist them up. 

“Let me help with that,” a voice whispered behind her. Emmeline spun to see a free Newt, Coral, Clara, and Forrest. They all looked exhausted but Emmeline began to hand out the satchels. 

Beckett peered out from the other side of the stash. His eyes widened but then he smiled and gave a thumbs up. “Over here,” he whispered with a smirk. 

Emmeline and the others joined him on the other side of the pile. Emmeline was amazed to see loads of swords, crossbows and bolts, and daggers. It was quite an assortment of weapons. “Grab them,” Emmeline ordered them. 

Forrest grabbed three swords, tucking two into sheaths around his waist and placing the other sheath on his back but keeping the sword out. Clara stole two daggers and a shorter sword. Coral picked out a real bow and a quiver of arrows. Newt grabbed a sword and two wicked looking knives. Beckett handled the daggers and weapons uneasily but settled for a sword. Emmeline didn’t like weapons and would’ve preferred to keep her distance. But she knew she couldn’t rely on the others to protect her. 

She grabbed a sword with a smaller blade as well as a bow like Coral’s and a quiver of arrows. The sword was light and the quiver fit on her back perfectly. 

When they were satisfied with their stash Emmeline motioned for everyone to move to the lake. With Coral’s Blessing Emmeline assumed they would be able to cross safely and escape into the woods to speak with Ibenily. 

But she was wrong. Dead wrong

Because in their path was Captain Earnest and about two dozen soldiers all dressed in green. Some were weaponless while others carried sharp swords. 

Captain Earnest was nearly glowing red like a berry. “Sorry, got to go!” Beckett called out much to Emmeline’s dismay. He grabbed her wrist and began to pull but Emmeline wrenched from his wrist. 

“Beckett, what are you doing?” Emmeline asked in a hiss. 

“We can’t run, they have horses,” Beckett pointed out. “We can take them.” And then he ran straight towards Captain Earnest, his sword straight out. “Charge!” 

“Beckett!” Emmeline called out. But the battle had begun. 

Emmeline was forced into a fight with one of the green clad soldiers. He was weaponless, but he threw punches at Emmeline’s head. 

His fist connected with her shoulder as she ducked, sending a wave of pain down her arm. Instinctively, Emmeline raised her sword and the soldier ran straight into it, impaling himself. Emmeline gasped as a spray of red mist shot into the air and the soldier fell to the ground, clutching his stomach. 

Emmeline wanted to stop and wipe her hands or clean the now bloody blade of her sword. But she had no time as there was a scream that broke her from her thoughts. Emmeline leapt aside right as a sword struck where she had been standing. 

The soldier charged at her again, his helm gone and a cut already on his forehead. Blood dripped down his face and into his eyes, blinding him enough for Emmeline to swoop in for the kill. She went to stab her sword but her feet were swept out from underneath her and her sword clattered away. 

Emmeline crawled for it but someone slammed into her, forcing her to the ground. She rolled on the impact until she landed on her back with the soldier straddling her stomach. He gripped her neck tightly and Emmeline was beginning to see spots. 

With her hands free, however, she managed to grab an arrow from her quiver and slammed it into the soldier’s hand. He recoiled from the attack giving Emmeline the time to rush for her sword and grab it. The soldier had lost his own sword, but he was still several times bigger than an Emmeline with no experience whatsoever. 

“You will die by the hands of Droalle!” the soldier screamed as Emmeline plunged the sword into his neck. He screamed once and then fell silent. 

Emmeline could feel either tears, sweat, or blood dripping down her face. Any remorse she felt for the poor soldiers was gone as she felt a stabbing pain in her back. She wheeled around to find a soldier with a bloody sword facing her. 

She attacked with wild rage, fueled from the pain of whatever injury was on her back. 

Emmeline had no thoughts other than the fact that the man had to die. She had dropped her sword but she found a knife with a jeweled hilt on the ground. 

Then she leapt onto the soldier, her adrenaline sending her the extra distance with more force. Her knife found the throat of the soldier and blood trickled down his neck from a wound Emmeline didn’t remember giving him. 

The fury of her battle left her panting as she stared down at the corpses that littered the ground of the camp. 

Captain Earnest met her eyes as Forrest plunged a sword into his gut. 

Then the captain fell to the ground dead. 

“Emmeline!” Clara’s voice called out. Emmeline fell to her knees, the pain in her back growing as her vision began to tunnel. 

She felt warm hands on her back and the pain began to disappear. 

“Thanks, Clara,” Emmeline mumbled as she sat up. “What was it this time?” 

“A nasty cut,” Clara responded with a sad smile. “You’re lucky - Newt was stabbed in the thigh and if I wasn’t here he wouldn’t be able to walk.” 

Emmeline chuckled to herself. Newt’s injury had bested hers, but at least they were alive. “How is Beckett?” 

“Is that the boy?” Clara asked with a smile as she looked around the camp. 

Emmeline looked too and she suddenly became aware of what she had done. The battle was a battle, yes. Her life had been in danger, yes. 

But she had just murdered three men. Three men with lives to live. Maybe families that would be awaiting them. She had just ended their lives without a second thought. “Don’t think about whatever you’re thinking about,” Clara warned her. 

“We just murdered…” Emmeline began, choking back a sob. 

“Stop,” Clara held up her hand. “We did it for the good of the kingdoms. If it makes you feel better we can leave.” 

“Let’s find the others,” Emmeline suggested. “Meet at the edge of the lake so we can decide where we’re supposed to go.” She got to her feet before Clara could stop her and began to make her way over to the edge of the lake. 


Emmeline had to stop a vomit halfway to the lake. In the heat of the moment she had entirely forgotten about George the Friendly Guard. 

She nearly tripped over his body and when she saw his face everything inside her crumbled. She was a bloody murderer. Clara tried to pull her to her feet but Emmeline emptied the contents of her stomach onto the ground.

“Emmeline, we should really get going,” Clara prodded, voice soft. 

Emmeline nodded, wiping her face. She ignored the sick feeling in her stomach as she got to her feet. 

The others were already gathered by the lake. Beckett was being interrogated but a confused Newt and Forrest was polishing his blades. Emmeline recovered her wits as she drew closer to the group. 

“Emmeline!” Newt called out as he saw her approach. “You’re alive!” 

She bit back any comments about the soldiers who weren’t alive and nodded, forcing a small smile onto her face. 

“So, we found the boy,” Coral said, gesturing to Beckett. 

Emmeline noticed that he seemed a bit nervous around the others. “Hello, Beckett,” Emmeline said quietly. He smiled and gave a shy wave. 

“This is the boy we’ve been looking for?” Newt gave an unimpressed grump. 

Emmeline nodded again. “This is the boy I Read.” 

“Can someone explain what’s going on?” Beckett asked as Forrest handed him a sword. He sheathed it like it was natural for a boy so young to carry a weapon. He turned to look directly at Emmeline. “It has something to do with my Reading, doesn’t it?” 

“Your Reading showed a war and lots of death. I had to find you and make sure the guards didn’t kill you,” Emmeline explained. “Newt - that’s the blonde boy - and I made our way from the circus to the Library of Knowledge in Ibeni. We met up with some Sprite Hunters and I healed Clara - that’s the ginger. Then the soldiers found us and I’m kind of a fugitive but we escaped with Coral and Forrest. We journeyed to the Library and met with Ibenily who gave us your location. Along the path we found a weird secret room underground and that’s where we were captured.” 

“So this was all for me?” Beckett asked in doubt. 

“Yes,” Emmeline told him. “We need to talk to Ibenily again and find our next location.” 

Beckett took a moment to grasp this but he then nodded and led them around the side of the lake to a small tree where they couldn’t see the bodies. 

Forrest withdrew the book from his bag and flipped it open. Nothing happened. 

“Was something supposed to happen?” Beckett asked, crossing his tiny arms. 

“I’m going to pray to her,” Coral announced. “Maybe Ibenily needs flattery before she comes to help.” 

“Let me,” Emmeline interrupted. “She really likes me.” Coral stopped kneeling and Emmeline took over her position. She bent on her knees, leaning forward as she clasped her hands together. 

Ibenily, we need you now. Please show yourself, my friends and I would be lost without your guidance. Emmeline hoped that it was enough to think the prayer rather than say it, and sure enough the book began to glow. She went back to her sitting position on the ground as Ibenily floated from the books. 

“How can I help you, darling?” Ibenily purred. She seemed dimmer than normal, but Emmeline ignored it. 

“Where is the Ancient Reader?” Emmeline asked. “We found Beckett.” 

“Slow down, my dear. You say you found the boy?” The Goddess of Knowledge spun around, searching their faces. She saw Beckett and her expression became one of joy. “Well hello, my dear, how are you on this fine night?” 

“Good,” Beckett murmured in awe of the Goddess. “You’re really Ibenily?” 

Ibenily nodded. “It’s been so long since someone admired my true power. Thank you, darling.” 

“The Ancient Reader?” Emmeline pressed. She was glad Ibenily and Beckett were getting along but she needed the Goddess to focus. The sooner she learned to Write the sooner she could stop the war. 

Ibenily huffed. “Impatient today, are we? Well for your information, the Ancient Reader resides in the Tower Ruins in Northern Layene.” 

Newt blew out a breath. “That’s really far. A long journey - maybe a week or so. It depends on which route we take.” Emmeline glanced at the map and had to agree with Newt. It would be a long journey. 

“Thanks, Ibenily,” Emmeline mumbled and the Goddess huffed again before disappearing back into the book. 

“Let’s get going,” Forrest smiled sadly. “We have a long journey ahead of us.” 

That was an understatement.



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
Added on June 29, 2020
Last Updated on June 29, 2020
Tags: short stories, teen, young adult, adventure, fantasy, death, prophecy, fortune teller, magic, mythology


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.