DL - Grey Pegs

DL - Grey Pegs

A Chapter by Loekie
"

Fourth chapter of the initial section of A House Fractured entitled Darkness Looming.

"

Pieces of parchment were scattered about the writing table like dried leaves. Li let out a heavy sigh at the sight of the chaos. With all the vellum and ink she was no closer to answering the mystery she had decided to decipher over three turns earlier. None of the information she was able to gather pointed in one direction.


Slowly her gaze rose up to a simple wall hanging above the writing table. It was the blue feather in a simple gold frame and glass. A constant reminder of the mystery she was trying to solve.


After Sédanta’s fall, because of her service, the King had granted her free time to deal with the grief and horror that had gripped all involved. Li secretly believed that the King did not know what to do with her. She had been released of all her responsibilities without loss of pay.


The fortnight were the most difficult. Every time she closed her eyes, she would see the old King falling. It was only when Skena started to ply her with some old sidhé drink that she could have some respite from the nightmares.


Immediately, Li could sense a change in the court. Ever since Sédanta’s death, it seemed that all from the House Suíbhné avoided her. She was part of a bad memory they did not wish to be reminded of. The druids of the Order shunned her as if she was diseased. Even many of her friends abandoned her.


She was shocked and hurt mostly by Buino’s reaction. He was stunned and horrified that she dared to question and stand up to Blaí. His reaction confused her. Ever since then she had not seen him. Only Skena and Rhiannon had stood by her side during the trying times.


It was only a turn after the old King’s death Li was able to deal with her grief properly. She focused on trying to decipher all Sédanta had said before he died. She wrote down all she could remember of what had transpired. As time passed, Li grew convinced that Gwri and the blue feather were connected; she had yet to find the link.


Her gaze drifted to a fidchell board near the window. The multi-coloured pegs glistened in the sunlight. A hollow pang beat in her heart; Buino had given it to her turns ago. He had hoped to teach her the game of strategy.


“Think of an army. The grey pegs are the basic infantry, the expendables.” He pointed to the array of pegs.


“But they are important,” Li commented.


“They can be. Yet the white and silver are stronger. There is more chances they can capture the golden peg, the goal of the game. The cream pegs, I will explain another time. They are for stealth and surprise.”


Li picked up her flagon of ale. “There are too many rules to remember. Draughts is easier.”


Buino sighed. “But not as interesting to play. Because of the different pegs, there are so many variations to the game play. Just the idea that before you start, neither opponents know the set-up of the board makes each game different. Once you understand the rules, you’ll see.”


A soft knock at the door pulled Li from her thoughts. She called out and the door opened. A young runner came into the room. He bowed, causing his medium length blonde hair to tumble onto his forehead.


“The Princess requests some time with you,” the runner stared at her, his light green eyes glistening with responsibility. “She is in the sitting room.”


Li nodded, trying to remember the young runner’s name. It suddenly came to her. “Let her know, Kynan. I will be there shortly.”


“Very good.” The mention of his name brought a large grin to his face. He bowed once more before sprinting down the corridor. As the door slowly came to a close, a faint frown came to Li’s face.


Li went to her full length mirror by the closet. She ran a hand over her goldenrod robe, trying to smooth a few creases. And now the Princess wished to see her. Why now?


She played with her long black hair, making sure she looked presentable. It was possible that she might be able to get some details to help her with the fragments of the puzzle before her. When she thought she was ready, Li headed to the front of the castle.


At the top of the stairs, she was surprised to see no guard posted. She would be alone with the Princess. Once again, Li ran her hands over her robe. She took a deep breath before knocking on the door. When she heard the Princess call out, she entered the sitting room.


Bright sunlight bathed the room. Íde sat at her loom. As Li entered, the weaving stopped. The King was not in the room, leaving the two women alone. Li was surprised at the situation.


“Come in, come in.” The Princess’s voice was spry.


“You wished to see me?” Li genuflected.


“Yes.” Íde rose from her loom. She pointed to an oak table set by the main window looking out to the barbican. Li saw a teapot and two porcelain cups were set.


“Join me in some blackthorn tea.”


Stiffly Li made her way to the table. She waited for the Princess to sit down before she sat down. Íde picked up the teapot and poured some tea into Li’s cup before she filled her own.


“I wished to speak to you about my grandfather,” Íde said as she put down the teapot. “About your quest.”


Li stared at the Princess, stunned. She tried to speak but could not find the words.


“I, like you, believe what my grandfather said. And it seems you are one of the few who wishes to find the truth.”


“I do,” Li stammered.


Íde took a sip of her tea, a mischievous twinkled filled her eyes. “Yet the druids do not concur.”


“They know naught,” Li said with some rancour.


“I agree. But times are changing, Li.” A smile came to Íde’s face. “It shan’t be long before Blaí is gone and mayhap the new court druid will listen.”


“Gone?” Li had heard gossip that the King had requested that the court druid be replaced.


“Oh, yes. After what happened with my grandfather, my father demanded that Blaí be replaced. Of course, there was much simpering from him. But it was to no avail. My father has lost complete trust in him. That puts the Order in a quandary and Taliesin must do something about this. That is the way of the Order. They are of no use to the House Suíbhné if there is even a faint thread of distrust.”


“But will they search for Gwri?”


“That I cannot say,” the Princess shook her head. “To be honest, no one seems to believe that he exists. It is for us to find the truth.”


“Yes. You can do so. You can do more than I.”


Íde let out a soft sigh. “I am constrained by my duties. But you are unfettered by any responsibilities.”


“There is nothing I can do.” Li protested. “I am but a caretaker. A chambermaid to some. No one will speak to me. I have tried. The Order is extremely jealous of their domain.”


“Do not underestimate yourself, my dear. You may not be able to pierce the veils of the Order through those like Blaí, yet there are some you can speak with. There are many paths to the same destination.”


“Every path I have taken comes to a dead end. I have many wooden pieces yet the fragments do not fit into any noticeable pattern. The puzzle is but a jumble. I am at a loss.”


“Have you spoke to Aífe?”


“Not recently. Since your grandfather’s death.”


“Mayhap you should speak with her. She may be a resource you’ve overlooked.”


“But she is only a journeyman. She would not have access to some of the answers I need.”


“You do not know unless you ask.” The Princess reached out and took Li’s hand. “There is not much I can do overtly. As I am finding out very quickly. You have no idea the tendrils of politics that weave through this court.


“The power I wield now and will when I am Queen is not as obvious as many may think. Much of the power I have is to guide, and for some, manipulate. I cannot use my position to aid you. I must keep an eye on the Houses and the Reachtas. But I can guide you to some people. My advice is to speak with Aífe. There are some answers she will have that may bring some of the pieces together. And some guidance to were more answers may lie.”


Li tried to sort through what the Princess had said. She was surprised at the admission. She took a deep breath.


“Then maybe I will speak with her. When I can.”


“Good.” The smile on the Princess’s face grew. “She will be expecting you.”


“She will?” Li was stunned.


“Yes. She has voiced to me, more than once, that there is more to my grandfather’s words than what the Order wishes to admit. She may have some answers.” A mischievous glint came to her eyes. “Some that may finally show some truth in what my grandfather warned of.”


Li picked up her cup and took a sip of tea. The look in the Princess’s eyes gave her some hope.


----------------------------


Li walked down the barbican, her mind a chaotic flurry of thoughts. The candour of the Princess was a shock. And when it was revealed that Aífe might be able to help, she was astounded. The jolt deepened when the Princess announced that the journeyman was waiting at the Gored Boar, a simple public house off the main market square. She had not expected a druid of Anáil would wish to meet in such a common place.


In a fog, Li walked down the short boulevard, passing the large imposing marble building of the Reachtas. The sight of the civil arm of the government started to clear her mind. A comment from the Princess came back to her.


Much of the power I have is to guide, and for some, manipulate. The boulevard opened to the main market place. It was just past zenith and the stalls were bustling yet her new thoughts kept her from stopping to look.


For this long she had been a pariah. Now in less than a few hours, the Princess and Aífe wished to speak with her. Why did it take so long to approach her? Why did they now want to help? She supposed some answers might be forth coming from the journeyman.


As she left the square, the boulevard continued. As she reached the first canal ring, Li turned left. The cobbled-stone street curved gently, following the canal. At the end of the block, the familiar iron-wrought sign of a wild boar sparkled in the sunshine. The well-worn wooden door was open, inviting her in.


Li was not surprised to see only a few people sitting at the various tables. It was still early. Near the back, in a corner, Aífe was sitting at a table. An earthenware flagon stood in front of her. The journeyman’s long blonde hair was pulled back into two tresses. She wore an unadorned pale gray robe. When she saw Li, she broke into a broad smile, waving to her.


“Beautiful day, isn’t it?” Aífe asked as Li sat down.


“Ah, yes.”


“Would you like a pint?”


Li shook her head. Excluding it was early for her, the new slang confused her. Why would anyone call a flagon a pint? She understood the usage of pub, being short for public house, but pint made no sense to her.


“It is a little early still. It is just past zenith.”


“Phah!” Aífe scoffed. “Neither you nor I have any duties. Join me in one.”


“I suppose so,” Li agreed reluctantly.


Aífe waved to the landlord behind the bar. “Eigyr, a bitter please.”


Li was surprised the journeyman knew what she drank. Aífe noticed the look.


“Don’t be alarmed. Everyone of import is always under the scrutiny of the Order.”


“But I am of no consequence.” She protested.


“Oh but you are.” Aífe ran her index finger over the rim of her flagon. The fingernail had a pale red lacquer. “You were Sédanta’s caretaker, for one. Second, you dared to stand up to Blaí. This immediately made the Order interested. Yet the more we try to know, the more you stay an enigma.”


Li did not know how to react. She felt as if there were eyes watching her. “I don’t know what you mean.”


“You never continued your education, for one. You completed middle school yet did not move to the upper levels. And you have the points. Instead you took menial work. A strange career choice.”


“I have my reasons.”


“And I am not here to ask about them.” Aífe said with a soothing tone.


“So you were spying on me?”


“A bit of a harsh word, I would say. We gathered information about you, to learn about you. To get to know you. There was no malicious intent or purpose.”


Li was about to say something but the landlord came with a flagon. The journeyman quickly pulled a couple of sovereigns before Li could reach for her change purse. She ignored the flagon in front of her.


“But as I said, I am not here to ask about your reasons. I am here because of the mystery around the old King.”


“I see.” Li said cautiously.


“From the onset, after the King’s death, I wished to speak to you. But I could not because of the turmoil in the court. The climate was not conducive. Especially because of Blaí. No one in the court dared to speak with you for fear of reprisals.”


“From Blaí?”


Aífe nodded. “In many ways, he blames you for his misfortune.”


“What?” Anger exploded in Li. “It was not me who grabbed Sédanta. If it were not for him, the King would still be alive today.”


“We know, we know.” Aífe said gently. “And soon he will be replaced.”


“I hope he is banished to the hinterlands of Llangeinwen.”


The druid let out a small laugh. “He will be assigned a position more fitting his abilities. Back on the Isle most likely.”


“Good riddance. I do not know why someone like him was ever made the head druid for the court.”


“I shan’t go into details about the works of the Order but suffice it to say, Taliesin did not have much of a choice at the time. I believe he now regrets his choice.”


Aífe cocked an eyebrow as she looked intently at Li. “What is important now is to move forward. We need to find out the veracity of what the old King said.”


“What is stopping you?” Li was blunt.


“The reality is we cannot do much. Sédanta’s death has ignited a firestorm in the Reachtas. Be it the House Suíbhné or the Order, we must tread carefully right now. Especially the Order.”


“Why?”


“Please!” Aífe chuckled. “As you know, many do not trust us. There are even rumours we use smoke and goat entrails to divine what the future holds for the Houses and the Land. There is a small faction in the Reachtas that even suggest we killed Sédanta to prevent reforms from being enacted.”


“It was an accident.” Li shook her head. “Even though Blaí did have a hand in it.”


“You don’t understand. People like to see conspiracies. They like to hear plots. Taliesin actually had to come down from the Isle to deal with the situation himself.”


Li was stunned at the revelation. The head of the Order only came from the Isle during a crisis. Things were more serious than she realized.


“I see you see the gravity of the situation.” Aífe’s voice grew soft. “Taliesin knows that the people about Tuaim Inbhir will not easily speak with us. Yet you could.”


“I would be an outsider.” The idea was daft. “They would not speak to me.”


“Mayhap they will.” The journeyman ran her finger over the top of her flagon. “I spoke with Vicar Saar. One of his flock is looking for help. She is a widow and just gave birth to a daughter. He can recommend you.”


“Ah ... ah ...” Li had a hard time finding her voice. “You ... Vicar Saar?”


“See, even you.” Aífe was amused.


“But Vicar Saar is one of the Follower of Día. Are you trying to convert him?”


“Not at all, not at all.” The journeyman took a sip of her ale. “See even you harbour misconceptions of Anáil. We are not a religion but a philosophy. We are encouraged to investigate other ways of thought. Vicar Saar and us have good relations. Which has caused some issues with the Magistrum in Aeron.”


Li look a long draught of her ale. She did not know what to say.


“When you have a chance, you may want to read some of the writings of Anáil. Inwö wished to provide a way to live not worship a deity. But I am not here to talk about my faith or philosophy but your quest to find answers to Sédanta’s time away from the court.”


Aífe reached to her side and pulled out a small court pouch. She placed it on the table, between their flagons.


“Here is all I could glean from what my colleagues found about his time away from the court. It is not much but hopefully will give you some more pieces to the puzzle you are building.”


Li sat, stoically, looking at Aífe. “Why me?”


“Because you are the only one who has kept on the search. The only one who believed the old King. And from what I see, the only one who really cared about him in his twilight.”


“Why now? Why not earlier?”


A sadness came over Aífe’s face. “I wished to reach out to you from the onset. But could not.”


“Why?”


“You do not know the court and the politics. The Houses has their own agendas. Factions in the Reachtas have their programme. For some, the court is a giant fidchell board, where most of us are just grey pegs, watching out for the cream ones.”


A comment from Buino came to Li. “Some would say multiple boards.”


Aífe nodded. “It can feel that way. Up to now, you have been on the periphery. That has changed.”


“How?”


“You have not been too subtle with your inquires over the past turn.” Li’s eyes grew wide in horror. “Some groups have become interested in what you are asking about.”


Realization washed over her. “That is why the Princess and you have approached me now, isn’t it?”


“Yes and no.” The druid sat back in her chair, folding her arms. “We were looking for an opportune time to aid you. We waited, hoping the eyes looking at you would change focus. And it would have been so if it weren’t for your inquiries.”


“So you want me to disappear?”


“That is not what we ask. But we do not want you to become a casualty of the games in the court. They could destroy you.”


Thoughts thundered through Li’s mind. She felt as if she was drowning. She had spent so much time to be invisible and now the veil was ripped away. She had spent three cycles trying not to be noticed. It had been for naught. Aífe said something but she did not catch it. Li took a deep breath.


“Pardon?”


“Are you alright?”


“I don’t know.”


Aífe leaned forward, gently putting her hand on Li’s. “The court is not a place for someone like you. Everyone wears masks. It is not like it is in the country. There are some people here that would extend their right hand in friendship yet hold a dagger in their left.”


Li thought for a moment. “Is it that way with you?”


A hearty laugh filled the area. A few heads turned to look at the two women.


“I wish I was like that. Then I would, in time, become the court druid. But I have no such aspirations.”


A spurious thought took hold of Li’s focus. “Cream pegs?”


“Yes. They are pivotal to the game. You have at least three, depending on the size of the fidchell board you are playing.”


She could not remember Buino ever mentioning those coloured pegs. “What are they?”


Aífe was amused by the question. “You can use the cream pegs any time during game time. You replace a grey peg with the cream peg as part of your strategy. They have advantages neither the silver or bronze have.”


Li shook her head. Too many threads were crowding her thoughts. She had to focus. Her eyes feel on the pouch on the table top. It had what little the Order knew of Sédanta’s sojourn away from the court.


A flash slammed Li into the back of her chair. The faint tendrils of the ardour she had felt turns ago ran across her skin. Behind Aífe it seemed as if the old King stood, looking at her. His eyes pleaded to her.


“Mind, body and spirit,” he said. “There are three leaves. Three paths. But one hunger.”


“What do you mean?” Li demanded of the spectre that stood before her.


“The legacy of Dalldav.” The faint image pointed to the druid. “She knows of it. The dark clouds are gathering. Dalldav lives on.”


The old King’s caretaker was about to say something but the image faded. Aífe looked over her shoulder, trying to see what Li was looking at. The vision gave Li focus.


“There is one thing I must ask of you.”


The druid looked confused. “Who where you talking to?”


A brittle smile came to Li’s face. “That is of no consequence. There is something I must ask of you.”


“All I could find of Sédanta’s time away is in that pouch.”


“This has naught to do with the pouch. It is who he talked about.”


“Gwri?”


“No, Dalldav.”


The journeyman blanched at the name. Li could see fear flash in her eyes.


“I must know of him.”


“No,” Aífe’s voice was soft and strained.


From the extremities, the tickling focused to a point above her navel. A warmth started to emanate through her. She drew on it for strength.


“I will not be able to piece the puzzle without knowing who he is.”


Li could see Aífe struggle to find the words. Her body was stiff as she reached out to take a sip of her ale.


“He is not of Llangeinwen.” The journeyman managed. “Was not. Dead. He is dead. Of no consequence.”


“He may be, but he is important,” Li pushed. “Sédanta said he did not want his son to meet Dalldav’s legacy. Is that the Blood and Stone?”


“No!” Aífe hissed.


“Who is he?”


“Do not ask.” The words were a mere whisper.


Energy tickled the back of her neck. The feeling excited Li. Emboldened, she grabbed the druid’s hand, roughly.


“Sédanta wanted to prevent his son from meeting this legacy. That is my mission. That is my promise to him. If Gwri does not meet this legacy, what he warned of us will not come to pass. I need, I demand you tell me!”


“By the fates!” Aífe gasped, her eyes wide in surprise and horror. “Why did we not know this?”


“Blaí did. He was there.”


“No, no.” The journeyman pulled her hand from Li. “How could have the Watchers missed you?”


“I have no idea what you are talking ...”


“We have to leave!” The chair clattered to the floor as Aífe bolted up. “Now!”


“Not until you have answered my question.” Li said casually.


“You will get up now.” A fierce fire raged in the druid’s eyes. The serrated edge of her voice shook Li. “No questions, no demands.”


“But ... but ...”


Aífe brought her face close to Li. A nimbus had formed about her, dampening the ardour she felt. “With one thought, what you are feeling right now can be snuffed out. Do you want that?”


The moments moved like syrup as she tried to find an answer. “No.”


“Then you will get up from your chair. You will leave this place and go down to Cobh. I will meet you at Quay 21.”


Li tried to draw on the draining energy to keep control. “We ... we ... will talk ... here.”


“You want answers, you will do as I say.” The words were clipped and measured.


The sheer intensity from the druid made Li pull back in her chair. A transparency hovered about the edge of the druid’s form.


“One hour. Quay 21.” Aífe pulled away. “Your choice. Your decision.”


Before Li could say anything, the journeyman stalked out of the pub. Her flagon was half-full. She stared at it, not knowing what to do. A shadow came onto the table making her jump. Eigyr stood beside her, concern in his eyes.


“You best do as she says,” he said in a low voice. “There are too many eyes here.”


“But ... but ...”


“Trust her,” was all he said as he walked away with Aífe’s flagon. Numbed, she rose and walked out of the public house.

 



© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
Being a major revision of the first draft, I am looking for everything - grammar, POV problems, plotting issues. This is new material, that is draft 0. And please note, spelling is Canadian not American so don't point the differences. Hit me with your best shot!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

All I can say that I do like your usage of Gaelic terms and mythology to build the idea. I'm not sure as of the spellings but I'm pretty sure you doing it quite well.

So far I'm not seeing much I caught a few but I would have to deeply read through them again. I would say if you are going to use a Gaelicized spelling system drop the V from Daldav's name. A is a broad sound so mh will created the need sound for that. Then again that is the linguist in me chattering away.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Cool, new chapter, fresh meat. This chapter felt somewhat raw at times which I liked because it allowed me to see the author at work. Ok...straight to the facts, questions and comments.

1...Opening, good transition to the passing of time. Also the transition to the memories of bruno are better here and so the italics work well.


2...The game of pegs, I like how you weave the brief explanation and immediately I felt a connection to the chapter title.

3...

4...Her gaze drifted to a fidchell board near the window. Should fidchell be capped? I can see its a noun, but should it not be a proper noun since it serves as a proper identifier of the type of board? I always have issues with when a noun becomes proper myself.

5...A young runner came into the room. Observation question. Does Li live in a dorm at this point or does she have her own room? I mean, if the royalty is supporting her, and the druid want to isolate her, then I feel she should have her own room. If...this is the case, then the young runner (page) came into "her" room. Does that make sense. You might want to add a little more of that earlier when you are trying to show how issolated she has become.

6..."Let her know, Kynan. I will be there shortly."

I think a comma after Kynan instead of a period. Might be a typo. But I also feel Li would be a little more polite to the runner, a little more formal around others. As is, IMHO, it sounds more like a command than a request. Perhaps, "Kynan, would you please inform her highness I will be there shortly. Would Li really say her to another? Just a thought.

7...Li headed to the front of the castle. And.... At the top of the stairs,

Considering the reader has no idea where in the castle Li is, these are sort of a generic direction. We know she is headed to sitting room, so why not just say sitting room, or Li headed to meet with the Princess? If you are going to use generic directions, then I think your going to need to paint a bigger image of the castle, how its made, the walls, etc. Is the top of the stairs the main level, meaning Li is coming from a lower level below ground? Or is it the 2nd floor, third floor, a tower room, a solarioum, etc. You know what I mean.

8...Stiffly Li made her way to the table. Why stiffly, image is ... well stiff. Need a comma after stiffly or any other you use...I think. Same paragraph... She waited for the Princess to sit down before she sat down. sit down...sat down. I would change both to something a little more formal. Perhaps... She waited for the Princess to take her seat before she sat opposite her. Or something like that.

9..."It shan't be long before Bla� is gone and mayhap the new court druid will listen."

A somewhat revealing bit of politics between the crown and the church or sect. It seems the druids hold great sway over how the crown is looked upon perhaps, and thus the crown has gone along with the druids. I don't think Blai' though is going to take this well. Hmmm, intrigue.

10... I like your use of threads, tendrils and other slight variations in keeping with the story title and line. Its not over done and where used seem just right.

11... "She will?" Li was stunned.

First I like the fact that Li was manipulated skillfully by the princess. But... Li was stunned ... is telling. Show me how she is stunned, a raised eyebrow, mouth ajar, eyes grew wider... you know how.

12... And when it was revealed that A�fe might be able to help, she was astounded.

Ok, just a few paragraphs late from item #11, now she is astonished, when earlier she was stunned. I like to a point, so you are not repeating yourself, but perhaps the showing in the first instance will help her better. By that I mean, telling me she is astonded is slightly better because we are in Li's thoughts, compared to she was stunned. Just for clarification of why I think #11 needs to be shown, but this one is ok.

13...As she reached the first canal ring, Li turned left.

Previous sentence also started with As, and as we know...As is very passive. In this instance, I would show directly... Reaching the first canal ring, Li turned left. This "As" seems to be a part of your style sewn throughout your work. I am not sure if it will work with grammar afficado's, especially those who subscribe to The Elements of Style, but it may be something you want to think about. Just a suggestion.

14...This immediately made the Order interested. Or... This immediately made you of interest to the Order. I think the later has a better flow. Your call.

15...A�fe nodded. "In many ways, he blames you for his misfortune." I told you so...lol

16..."I would be an outsider." The idea was daft. "They would not speak to me." Why interrupt her speach with a thought...I think it would flow better at the end...or even the beginning.

17..."How could have the Watchers missed you?".... have missed you. ??? Li is becomeing more and more interesting.

18..."You best do as she says," he said in a low voice. "There are too many eyes here." Wow...it seems everyone knows something but Li.... I like and I am now very interested in what Alfie is going to say... or do.


Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

382 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on March 18, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie