OV - The Officer

OV - The Officer

A Chapter by Loekie
"

The fourth chapter of the second section of A House Fractured. 25 years has passed since Darkness Looming. A critical junction is being reached that will change Llangeinwen forever. Told from the point of view of Einion, a security officer.

"
A quick glance at the program let Einion ap Llallawc know there were only one petition left. The new vicar was to be presented to the Queen as the last step of his ascension as the head of the D�aist church of Llangeinwen. It was part of tradition; the first time Febhal would be introduced to the island�s society as High Vicar Febhal.

Yet Einion wondered if the new vicar wanted to be part of the society or change it. Some of his current assignments focused on investigating Febhal and his activities in the community. He was not happy being assigned these duties but he had no choice. It came from his first boss, Medyr and his current Master, A�fe.

There were times he rankled at being a security officer. This was not what had trained for. It tried his patience. A journey starts and often continues with small steps, his Dryhten repeatedly told him on the Isle.

He understood what Taliesin was saying but he was filled with expectations when he finished his golden cycle. He wasn�t a journeyman any more; he was now a druid of the Order. Nothing prepared him for the shock when his Master announced he would be working in the security forces. An ordinary grunt keeping the peace and solving crimes. That was not what he had trained for.

�Oh, aren�t we full of ourselves!�

Einion glared at this brother. Eigyr finishing pulling the pale ale. The foam trickled down the flagon�s side as he placed it onto the bar top.

�You don�t understand.�

�I do, all too well.� Gently he put his hand on Einion�s forearm. �How do you think I felt when I was assigned here?�

�But you love working here.�

�Now. But in the beginning, I railed against Taliesin. Against the fates. Even the Maker. A job in a public house? That is beneath me. So I understand. All I have to say is trust Taliesin. Remember, Dryhten means more than Master. It also means father.�

�Eigyr!� Gaible came out from the back of the bar. Her long black hair was pulled back in a bun. A black smudge stained her porcelain cheek. �The sink is clogged again. I thought you had it fixed.�

�I thought I had.�

Gaible smiled, pecking Eigyr on the cheek. �You know I love you but there are times you are useless. Without me, who knows what shape this place would be. Simias! Where is that man?�

Gaible stomped to the side door, heading to the enclosed courtyard. As Eigyr rolled his eyes, Einion laughed.

�Is this what I should be looking forward to?�

�If you are so lucky!� A sadness crept over his brother�s face.

�Are you alright?�

�It has been so long. How could I have forgotten?�

�Who?�

�Li.�

The name was vaguely familiar. He had heard the name brought up before. He looked quizzically to his brother.

�We never know what the fates are weaving for us. You know Gaible�s story.� Einion nodded.

�Cycles ago, there was a friend. Li. A selfless slip of a lass. She took take care of King S�danta in his last cycle of madness. She and her friend Skena were there when we rescued Gaible from her husband. But that wasn�t the only thing she did from my wife.

�At that time, Saar was in charge of the episcopate. He didn�t have a young assistant like this Febhal creep. He received a girl with child who was severely beaten. Something the security officers could have prevented if they listened or investigated. She died in the Refuge.�

�By the fates!�

�Out of that tragedy, some women got the courage to escape and seek sanctuary from Saar. Which he gave. Li, by accident, came upon a plot by some of the husbands to break into the cathedral to drag their families back. She could have ignored what was going on but she didn�t. And because of her, she saved over thirty people. Something Ochall�s department could have prevented.�

�Save the obvious and blunt point that being a security officer can affect good, what does this have to do with Gaible?�

�What Li did touched her. She reached out to help the women Saar was protecting. And the healing started.�

�Where is Li now?�

Tears filled Eigyr�s eyes. �She is dead. Murdered outside Tuaim Inbhir.�

�What did they do with the culprit?�

�He was never caught.�


At times he still had his doubts. He did what he was asked to do, slowly moving up the hierarchy. He stopped questioning Taliesin and A�fe. So when she suggested he advance to the security division, he did without asking why.

But his wife could see his frustration at times. Often Ninov� would tell him to let the fates move as they do. He shouldn�t worry on the details.

�I just hoped there would be more I could give you by now.�

�What more can you give me?� Ninov� caressed his cheek. �I have an amazing son and a husband who loves me. What else would I want?�

�Look at this place. It is small.�

�I would say cozy.�

�You still have to work.�

�I love it.�

�I have not been able to buy you a new dress or jewelry.�

�Who needs it?� Ninov� tried to look stern. �Einion ap Llallawc, we have a roof over our heads. Our larder is full. Se�n is growing to be a man like his father. I have all I need.�

�But there is much more I would like to give you.�

�In time, dear heart. Look at the blessings we have right now.�


There was no way he could argue with his wife. And the new position brought more security and stability in his life. There was less danger and more regular hours. Especially the past few weeks.

He and his partner S�l poured over endless reports the Order had obtained from Aeron. They could not glean any actions that Febhal had done that could be considered inappropriate. Discussions with members of the congregation showed a growing schism but no wrong doing. The new vicar was an orthodox D�aist, focused on the Canons and tradition. Which was apparent from a sermon Einion heard a fortnight earlier.

�So the Canons say that the Sovereign no longer calls us slaves but calls us friends. How often do you feel as if you are a useless slave? But you do not have to. The Sovereign calls you forth and calls you friend. He makes us His friends. He gives us His friendship freely.

�Yet this friendship is in a twofold way. It is an honest friendship. There are no secrets among friends. The Sovereign tells us all that He hears from the Maker. Yet He wishes to hear all from you so He can tell the Maker. Something many of you fear and should not.

�D�a trusts us completely, wholly. And with that trust He gives knowledge. Something precious in our current days. Using His cherished knowledge, we can know what is wrong and right. We can live the life the Maker wishes for us. It gives us strength when we are in doubt. It gives us hope when we feel hopeless.

�His trust gives us His passionate love and tenderness. He entrusts Himself to us. He knows we are of weak minds and weak bodies but He still trusts us. Thus He entrusts Himself to us so we can speak with His I.

�But the friendship is twofold. The Maker knows our rebellious will. So He compels us to do what He commands. He knows we are stiff-necked, obstinate. Over and over again we are exhorted to commit ourselves to the Maker. Trust Him and he will act. He trusts us so we must trust Him.

�Yet the Maker will guide us when we are prepared to do His will rather than insisting our way is right. By doing his Will, it will transform our rebellious will to a divine will which is what the Maker wishes of all of us. He makes us His friends yet how do we respond? Why is we are so unwilling to accept what is given freely?�


A sharp noise caught his attention. Kynan�s shirt split open. A yellow-orange opal slipped out. His cheeks grew crimson as he pushed the jewel back under his shirt. That is nothing S�l would give to him.

For a moment, his vision blurred. A woman in an ochre robe rushed to the dais. She reached out to Kynan, grabbing at air. She turned to the audience, his hazel eyes pleading. The woman�s mouth moved but Einion heard no words. He blinked. The olive skinned woman with long black hair disappeared.

Einion glanced about; no one was reacting. Unreleased! He looked over his shoulders to see A�fe bored by the proclamations Kynan was reading. He looked back to the chamberlain; he had to ask about the opal. Someone was unreleased and needed help. It was important to lay the dead to rest.

�Och, pompous git,� Curcog whispered into his ear. Einion suppressed a smile. There is so much people do not know of D�a. Part of his studies included the many religions, philosophies and faith systems of R�. The basis of what the followers of D�a believed has strength. It was the voice of the orthodox leaders that obscured the message.

�It is the bane of any system, young man.� Saar picked up his flagon of ale. �The longer it exists, the more it strays from the original message. You should know that.�

�We do our best to adhere to Inw��s words.� Einion challenged.

�Yet it has not stopped the formation of groups like the Blood and Stone or the Followers of the Blood.�

�The Blood and Stone are but a small gang of fanatics.�

�Which reflects on the face of An�il. As does the Council of Nine on my faith.� Saar waved his flagon at Einion. �It is up to people like me and you to keep our faith honest. It may seem to be a fool�s errand but it is not. I heard Aeda broke ranks with Febhal.�

�What of it?� Einion took a sip of his pale ale.

�If you want orthodox, look no farther than Aeda. She constantly harangued me because I was not doctrinal enough. Her wish was to have someone leading the church along the proper lines. She got her wish and now she saw what I�ve said all along.�

�But she is one person. That is not going to start change.�

Saar put down his flagon. He shook his index finger. �Never underestimate the power one person has. Over twenty cycles ago, I was helping a young lass from the court with a simple task of introducing her to my flock in Tuaim Inbhir. Because of her, one broken man became whole again. Because of her, seven families were able to venture out to a life without fear.�

Einion shook his head. �You talk of eight people. What impact does that have in the grand scheme.�

�Ah, that is your mistake young man. And Febhal�s.� The cleric took a deep breath. �You have read the Canons, have you not?�

�Yes.�

�I suggest you reread them. You will see the Canons focuses on the followers D�a gathered. Very little is written about Him and the multitudes. Yet most of these individual followers brought change. Followers who were woodworkers, prostitutes, fishermen, blacksmiths. That is one of the most important messages that gets lost in all the rhetoric and doctrine. No matter who you are, you can affect change.�


A familiar sigh pulled Einion from his thoughts. Most people around Medyr did not hear it. He looked to the ground, embarrassed. Einion wasn�t surprised; his boss was not one for the court functions. Medyr had told him and S�l that he hated the extra duties his new position forced onto him. It would be so simple if Ochall retired and the Queen brought in a new Minister of Security.

�Och! Where is her brother?�

Einion groaned. Curcog had not bothered to whisper; her voice carried about the people around them. He shrugged, not knowing what to say. He knew this was on many people�s mind. The schism between the Queen and Neued could not be ignored.

The tensions in the court and office gossip told him something was about to happen. Even A�fe voiced concern that Neued might break with the Queen. He did not understand the arrogance the Queen�s brother had. The singled-mindedness he had on the Houses Dispossessed was ruinous. He seemed obsessed on blaming Nico and Esg�n for something they had nothing to do with.

�He will not listen to reason. Yet the Queen can do naught.� Kynan passed the platter to Ninov�. She took a piece of pork before passing it to S�l.

�She may have to.� S�l said as he took three pieces. The platter came to him.

�He is her brother,� Ninov� said quickly. �It isn�t right.�

�Family dynamics.� S�l rolled his eyes.

�I mean no offense!� Ninov� gasped. She grabbed his hand.

�Ninov�, how many times do I have to tell you? My family is part of the past. I have a new family now.�
Einion smiled at his partner. �You do. We don�t pick our families ...�

�But we pick our friends,� S�l laughed. �But you did not have to accept me. Or Kynan. We only work together.�

�Phah!� Ninov� scoffed. �Einion would not have brought you over that first night if he did not think you are a good person. Your family does not know what they are missing.�

�But a crisis is brewing,� Kynan said. Einion knew he was directing the conversation.

�There is very little the Queen can do.� He picked up his wine glass. �She cannot dismiss Neued as minister and he will not resign.�

�How can he be so stubborn?� His wife asked.

�He believes he is right.� S�l said as he picked at his beans. �According to him, Nico is poised to invade us this very moment.�

�But that is absurd.�

�I agree. Their economy is in a shambles. They have more important things to do than focus on us.�
�But there is the Blood and Stone.� Kynan commented.

�From what I gather, the Order does not see them as a threat. And I say as long as we have the Order here, they would not dare come here.�

�They are fanatics. Unpredictable.�

�Yet they are not stupid.�

�It is too bad the Queen can�t be done with her brother.� Ninov� poured some pale cream sauce over her pork.

�Some times it is best to keep your enemies close to you.� Einion offered.

�Of course you would think that.� His wife shook her head.

�What do you mean?�

�Dear heart, you see much of life as a game. I don�t.�

He sat back in his chair. �And what would you do?�

�Sack Neued. He is not doing his job. He is sowing dissension. Some see it as sedition.�

�But, Ninov�, then he is not about.� His partner pointed. �The Queen loses what little control she have over him. He can do more damage. Many in the military look up to him. If he were to leave, many go with him. And they would be out of sight.�

�And there are some good people that can replace them.� Ninov� paused. �And what if he is out of sight? People would not support him.�

S�l shook his head. �If it were so simple. Neued and his cronies would become another group that would be against the Queen. And some people would support him. Things are fractured enough already.�

Before Ninov� could answer, S�l continued. �The Queen�s brother has alluded to, many times, he would be a better regent than the Queen. That is what we are worried about. And I know some people outside the court agree.�

�It could be Su�bhn� against Su�bhn�.� Kynan added. �That is something that should be avoided at all costs.�


Einion sighed. He was worried what might happen. Any rash action would play into Febhal�s and some of the members of the Reachtas advantage. Even worse, possibly plunging the island into civil war. Then I imagine Neued�s wish may come true. The Houses Dispossessed might be weak at the moment, but if we weaker, who knows that they might do.

�There will be a five minute recess,� the Queen�s chamberlain announced.


© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
This was a 12 page chapter expanded into 9 different chapters from different POVs. So it is a raw version, hot off the presses. The key issues is my use of passive voice and grammar. Please keep in mind the spelling is Canadian. Hit me with your best shot.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
The first paragraph is rendered almost unreadable by all the fantasy names. There are also some glaring errors -- in the first line we have "know there were only one". At the end we have two words lacking the possessive apostrophe (final sentence and the third-but-final sentence).

If you are asking people to read this much text, you really have to be more careful.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

505 Views
1 Review
Added on May 2, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie