MP - Brewing Politics

MP - Brewing Politics

A Chapter by Loekie
"

The first chapter of the third section of A House Fractured. 2 years has passed since Opening Views. The plots and intrigues are starting to come to a boil. This section is from Medyr's point of view.

"
There was an orderly exit as the Cabinet left the room. The lone non-Cabinet member left the room, frustrated and exasperated. He ignored a look from Ochall, the Minister of Security. His pace quickened once he reached the oak door, wanting to avoid any comment or conversation. He had no interest in dealing with the old dottering fool.

Medyr shoved the reports he was carrying under his arms. He muttered under his breath about interminable meetings as he briskly swept down the halls of the castle complex. His arm tightened around the reports, in anger as Froech�s words echoed in his mind.

The grip of the ignored reports tightened with each step. Medyr gritted his teeth, thinking about how the meeting had been subverted by Froech; how the Minister of Defence had produced a report which he knew nothing about. An insignificant report the old fools viewed as important. But there was naught he could do to make them focus on the real risks.

Even though the Queen had control of the meeting, some of the older fools insisted on prattling incessantly on insignificant details. Looking for a crisis were no existed. Each one seemed to avoid the key issue, the civil war. Why set their gaze toward Nico and the Blood and Stone? Medyr angrily asked him. He wanted them to focus on the blatant treason being committed by the Queen�s brother. None were looking at the potential constitutional crisis that was looming.

Near his office, Medyr turned a corner, catching sight of a tall, lithe man dressed in severe black robes. Sunlight from the stained glass window he stood by seemed to glisten in the man�s silvery black hair that flowed down his back. Piercing gray eyes stared at him for a moment before the man continued on his way. Or sidh�, Medyr wondered for a moment. The man had sidh� qualities. And for the briefest moment, he seemed to have the look of Su�bhn� about him. A deep breath dispelled the absurd thought. Medyr continued to his office.

A faint murmuring greeted him as he walked into his inner sanctum. Even though Ochall was the Minister of Security, Medyr was the chief. Heads turned to look up to see the one in charge. The looks on their faces reflected the anger coursing through him. He ignored the looks as he made his way to his office. Out of nowhere, his deputy, suddenly appeared.

�Mayhap you can tell me why Froech could tell the Queen about the boat and I knew naught of it?� Medyr growled at Edlym, without preamble as he entered his office.

�But you have the report,� Edlym, said quickly. �Einion presented it to you yesterday before he left.�

�Pardon?� Medyr walked to his.chair, anger oozing out of his pores.

�Einion presented the report yesterday. He said to me you received it yet gave it low priority.�

Medyr looked at a pile of parchments on his desk. He had a faint recollection of the young security officer giving him a report.

�He said to me you did not feel, at the moment, it was important.�

Medyr glared at the pile, remember the security officer bringing the report. He riffled through the pile, looking for the tight clean script Einion wrote in. When he found it, he gave the report a quick glance.

A faint memory tickled the back of his mind as he looked over the fight script. He remembered reading the report and dismissing it as not important. He looked at the initial on the cover, he had marked it as to watch but not an immediate threat.

Medyr closed the report savagely. What Froech had presented was a hysterical version of what Einion had written. And the dotards lapped it up; looking for danger where there wasn�t anything. In the end, making him look like a fool. The evaluation preferred by Einion was correct, the boat seized was of no threat. The one crew member was a member of the Blood and Stone. But it had naught to do with a potential incursion Froech frantically tried to suggest. Why is he so obsessed with the small splinter group of the Order? Medyr�s echo wondered.

But in the end, Froech once again presented to the Cabinet something that seemed serious when it was not. If he had brought the report to the meeting, he would have been able to counter Froech and quickly put an end to over two hours of prattling.

Medyr looked at the report. Once again, Froech had put him on the defensive. What did he know? Medyr wondered. What game is he playing? Over the past couple of turns, it seemed that Froech had become more and more a thorn in his side. It seemed as if he had access to information he should not have. Was Froech trying to sabotage his plans?

�Sir,� Edlym interrupted Medyr�s churning thoughts. �What should we do?�

Medyr let the report fall to his desk. �Naught. Einion did his job. The fault is mine for not being fully prepared.�

�I see, Sir.� Edlym looked at Medyr, uncomfortably, trying to find the right way to phrase what he had to say. Medyr recognized the look.

�Will you just spit it,� Medyr said sharply.

�It is Keudawg. He wishes to speak with you.�

Medyr groaned, rolling his eyes. He had no time for the speaker of the Reachtas.

�Was he specific?�

�He did say to me that there have been some rumblings amongst a group in the Reachtas. Some seem to believe that the Queen is not doing enough to end the civil war.�

�I see.� Medyr slowly rubbing his chin. He had been expecting for this; hoping for the Reachtas to start to rumble. It was part of his plan, as was the Blood and Stone in Nico. He had made the Reachtas a major part of his strategy but he had expected the murmurs to start much later.

�He said he would like to see you at your earliest convenience.�

Medyr looked at the various reports that were waiting to be reviewed. The light coming through the window was growing long but the day was not over yet. The Reachtas was more important to him.

�Send word to Keudawg that I will be able to see him in about an hour. There are a few things I must attend to first.�

�Very good, sir.� Edlym bowed slightly as he left the office.

Medyr reached out to a single file marked with a red sticker. He quickly read through the high priority dispatch. A new offensive had started up north. A small group of rebels had pushed down Sliabh Luachra.

The new movement made Medyr wonder if Neued was planning something new. He had been quiet for the past couple of turns. Even the Queen had been surprised how quiet her brother had been.

But the intelligence report was not clear if a new faction was forming in Neued�s ranks or he was starting a new offensive. Medyr let out a soft groan, as his thoughts turned to the meeting he would have in the morning. He could see the hand wringing and whining that would come once he presented a synopsis of the report. But he could see an interesting use of the new information.

The hour passed quickly as Medyr sorted out some other reports. A sharp knock at the door reminded Medyr of his appointment. He tucked the red flagged intelligence file under his arm before heading out.

The halls of the administrative wing of the castle complex was quiet. He made his way to the main side entrance to head toward the Reachtas. The large oak door slid open silently as he approached to leave the castle.

As he walked through the small garden that lead to the main boulevard, Medyr noticed the air had grown heavy since the zenith. A sharp breeze was coming in from the sea. He could feel a storm coming in.

Medyr walked briskly down the tree-lined boulevard for the short walk to the Reachtas. The short, squat marble building stood just off the boulevard, with a manicured lawn in front of it. There was a small metal sculpture of some non-descript idea from a mediocre artist. Medyr grimaced as he walked by the chaotic metal piece. He never understood why it was titled �146 to Mother�.

Medyr paused briefly at the two large front walnut doors. The inscription above die door said: �For all the people, great and small�. He let out a small laugh, wondering why the original designers could not have been more original.

There were a few pages scurrying about the well lit halls of the Reachtas. There was no general session in progress and most committees were adjourned for the day. Medyr�s sharp foot steps echoed down the large marble corridors. The hem of his light brown robe hissed slightly along the floor.

As he reached the corner office of the Speaker of the Reachtas, he took the intelligence report from under his arm. He ran his free hand over his robe, smoothing some of the creases that formed over the day. Then he brought his powerful fist to the rich walnut door. There was a moment before there was a response.

�Come in, Medyr. Come in.� Keudawg�s voice had the silk mark of a politician. Medyr put on a smile to equal the warmth in Keudawg�s voice as he walked in.

�I�m so glad you could come at short notice.�

�Anything I can do for the people, I strive to do.�

Keudawg smiled, showing his bright white teeth against his tanned skin. His short cropped brown hair was speckled with faint wisps of gray. Medyr noticed he was wearing the light grey robes of the Reachtas, but not the opulent red robe of the Speaker. The late day light glittered on the silver brocade that adorned the robe.

Keudawg motioned Medyr to a chair in front of his massive walnut desk. Medyr ignored the intense stare from the dull close set eyes as he sat down; the red file Keudawg looked at was casually place on his lap.

�So how can I be of service today?� Medyr asked amiably.

�Well, the rumblings in the Reachtas has been growing lately, Medyr. I cannot talk to Ochall as I can talk to you. He does not even give me the time of day.�

�Well, he is a busy man, Mister Speaker. He is the Minister for ...�

�Medyr,� Keudawg interrupted, �you need not try smooth words on me. You are not good at it.�

Medyr smiled, giving Keudawg a small shrug. �It is not my place to speak ill of my superiors.�

The bushy eyebrows above the close set eyes arched. Keudawg�s weak chin became more pronounced. �I cannot believe you never speak ill of those above you. Especially over a flagon of ale.�

�I do not go out often, in a group. And when we do, we do not speak of work.�

Keudawg looked at Medyr, not believing him. �Well, here you may feel free to speak your mind.�

�Thank you,� Medyr said, trying to sound sincere. There was no way he would voice what he really felt before Keudawg. His plans were to stay above the petty politics of the land; they would only encumber his objectives.

�You were saying there are some louder muttering coming from some in the Reachtas?�

Keudawg nodded. �I am sensing a growing impatience in some of the members. Some are a bit more open in saying the Queen is doing nothing to stop the civil war. That she is frozen by inaction and indecision.�

�Are these members from Seithved?�

�That I cannot say,� Keudawg shrugged, implicitly confirming Medyr�s thought. �But the civil war is causing hardships in the north. And some worry it may spread.�

�Things have been static for some time,� Medyr admitted. �One could say that is because of the things the Queen had done. Neued has been effectively contained tip north. He has made very little advances over the past few turns. D�n Delgan is still a free city.�

�I know, I know,� Keudawg said too quickly. �I know what the Queen has been doing, But there are those who thought this would have been but a short disagreement within the House Su�bhn�. They did not expect that this conflict would be so protracted.�

�It, has only been just over two cycles since Neued escaped north with his small band. There bases are well hidden deep in the crags of Sliabh Luachra. No one expected Neued to resort to guerrilla tactics. This is not an open conflict.�

Keudawg waved his hand about frantically. �I understand. But there are some who do not. They wonder out loud if the Queen is more interested in her family than the people of the land.�

�Then I could say they have been misinformed.� Medyr's voice grew a hard edge. �The land is paramount to the Queen. She is not being lenient because Neued is her brother. That was obvious from the very beginning when Neued challenged the Queen in the Throne Room.�

�I was there,� Keudawg said sharply.

�So what is being said?� Medyr started to guide the discussion to what he needed.

�The standard republican mutterings.�

Medyr took a sharp breath in, which he knew Keudawg misinterpreted. Medyr had to use all his will power to control his excitement. He had not expected this turn of events so soon. That is because you are too hasty with your boards, the echo admonished.

�And how is this to be better for Llangeinwen?� Medyr kept his voice clipped.

�You know there are some people who believe the crown is an outdated manner of governing. Many took toward Scid and wonder. Even one member wondered if we were a republic, if the civil war would have ever happened.�

�Then they are fools. Scid was a failure.� Medyr sighed.

�That is not the way some see it. The failure was not the ideal but the leaders.�

�And they believe they can do better? Scid is still a battleground of small factions. Is that what they want?�

�I agree about Scid. But there are other nations about R� that have made the republican ideas work.�

�It is not as if the crown is antiquated. It has evolved over time. Else the Reachtas would not exist as it does.�

�And I do not agree with the dissenters, Medyr.� Keudawg said angrily. �What we have has evolved organically. Especially since the false king.�

Medyr absent-mindedly rubbed his chin. �I can see some of the populace who would see a republic being a better system for the people.�

�For some, it might be. But all too often, it benefits just a few. Only the rich land holders.�

�And some nobles,� Medyr added.

Keudawg nodded as he rose. His robes cascaded over his rotund figure. The many rings on his fat fingers reflected the light streaming through the tall glass window behind him. He turned to look out to the garden that filled the back of the Reachtas.

�People are always dreaming for the perfect system.�

�Stuff for dreamers and philosophers to write about. But it is normal for people to view other systems as superior to their own, until they actually experience it.�

�I agree. Some have idealized the old republic on Scid yet do not see the cost on the average citizen. I have seen it I have been there. There are some things we can learn from them.�

�It is always to experience it first hand.�

�As you did with Nico.�

�That is different.� Medyr shrugged. �I cannot envision anyone on Llangeinwen wishing a system like that. The Houses there run the island with an iron fist.�

�You might be surprised.� Keudawg turned around, his eyes bright. �I know how you feel especially since you had a couple trips there.�

�Well,� Medyr corrected, �it has been four times, even though the first couple were short.�

�And it was the last trip you were attacked?�

Medyr�s jaw grew clenched. �Yes it was. That was over a cycle ago.�

�That was an exploratory trip, was it not?�

�If you wish to use that euphemism, yes.� Medyr was curious why Keudawg would be bringing up Nico. It seemed to veer from why he had been summoned. Medyr decided to play the game and see where it lead.

�I have always been a little confused about the purpose of your trip there.�

�That is understandable. You weren�t the Speaker at the time. Very few people knew of the trip, let alone the reasons.�

�I see.� Keudawg stiffened slightly, taking offence at what was being insinuated.

�Both the Throne and the Order wanted stealth.� Medyr continued quickly, to calm Keudawg. �A�fe was quite adamant about it.�

�As was the Queen?�

Medyr had to suppress a smile. Keudawg had a strong distrust of the Order. This was something he could use to his advantage at times.

�I was told she was in complete agreement with the plan. I dealt with Ochall and A�fe. But they would not do anything without the Queen's permission.�

�Phah!� Keudawg spat as he sat down. �There are times I really wonder what the real objectives of the Order are. There are times I wonder if they may have ulterior motives.�

�Why? They have always aided the House Su�bhn� and Llangeinwen.�

�I'm sorry,� Keudawg waved petulantly. �I find them all too mysterious and hidden. Do we ever see the head of the Order about? No, he stays ensconced on the Isle. No one knows what he looks like. I am suspicious of any system or group that is not transparent.�

.Medyr let out a soft chuckle. �Are you saying the Reachtas is transparent?�

�Of course,� Keudawg was offended. �We are the voice of the people. We are the ones who act on petitions and draft civil laws. Any ordinary citizen can come in and see who represents them.�

�There is a different between visibility and transparency, Mister Speaker. Do you think the average citizen can navigate the labyrinth of committees in the Reachtas? And what of the procedure and working of the main chamber?�

�Semantics,� Keudawg dismissed. �We have no idea what the Order wishes or does.�

�True, you may not know. But the Queen does. A�fe consults the Queen. And occasionally the Cabinet.�
�And what kind of influence does that druid have over the Queen?�

�Are you suggesting the Queen is bewitched?� Medyr asked sharply.

Keudawg swallowed, looking worried. �Well, no.�

�I am glad for I believe it is far from the truth. I have witnessed, just over the past couple of turns, the Queen specifically not following A�fe�s suggestions. We are not on Nico.�

A horrified look slid on Keudawg's face. �I was not suggesting that, Medyr. Especially now with the Blood and Stone there. The Order is nothing like them. But I do not abide to the cloaked, mysterious wrap of the Order. just look at how everyone is focused on the Crown Prince.�

Medyr frowned slightly. �What do you mean?�

Keudawg turned slightly, pointing toward the castle. �I know many would prefer a male heir but Princess Fr�ge is the first of succession. She should be Queen but the druids have decided that she is not to be Queen because of their definitions. Because of images in smoke and goat entrails, it has been summarily decided Prince Aillil is to be King."

�That is old news that was explained. Two cycles have passed since the initial announcement. I would have thought that would not be of any concern any more.�

�That is not the point, Medyr. Decisions are made yet we are not consulted. Some people believe the voice of A�fe is the true voice of the throne.� Keudawg paused. �Look at the change in the Prince�s education. Was there any consultation?�

�Ah, Mister Speaker,� Medyr chose his words carefully. �I am involved in those changes. And since they are not related to any civil aspects of the government, I do not see the need to consult this august body.�

Medyr could see Keudawg was rankled by the suggestion. �Too much is done in the shadows.�

�I can find no fault in the Order�s reasoning, The Princess has been trained. She is prepared to take the throne, if need be.� A small smile came to Medyr�s face. �And I do not believe the Order uses goat entrails.�

�Whatever,� Keudawg dismissed the joke.

�And I see some prudence in what A�fe presented from her auguries.�

�What do you mean?�

�This is more than just divination. It is also politics. R�s has a young Prince Regent who is the same age as the Princess. If they were to marry, it would give us a new alliance in the Alumin Islands. All discussions with R�s has been favourable.�

�I know, I know,� Keudawg sighed.

Medyr stared at the Speaker, trying to figure out why Keudawg had summoned him. He did not seem to he focused. He was moving from subject to subject like a humming bird. Medyr decided to make Keudawg focus.

�So are the rumbling in the Reachtas to the point of proposing a plebiscite?�

Keudawg jerked as if he had been punched. He grasped the back of his plush grey chair, confusion flooding his eyes.

�What would give you that idea?� His voice wavered.

Medyr tried to look innocent. �Well, isn't it? I thought that was the thread of your discourse.Why am I here, then? If it is not for that reason.�

�No! No one, at all, would think such a thing!�

�Why?� Medyr asked, unhesitatingly. �It is within the purvey of the Reachtas. There is nothing wrong with the suggestion. There was a good reason why the Reachtas has such power.�

�I am not debating the purpose of use of removing the current regent.�

Medyr watched Keudawg�s body language. It was tense and twitchy. It spoke louder than his words.
�Neither am I. But it is an option that is always available.�

Keudawg stood ramrod, flabbergasted. Medyr was pleased to see the reaction. Even though Keudawg was a politician, he could be transparent with the right prodding.

�Mister Speaker, there is a good reason why the Reachtas was given this power. A power which has only been used once before. I would not be surprised if some members are not privately entertaining the notion.�

Slowly Keudawg sat down in his chair. The bright orange yellow of the late day glittered in the stain glass behind him. Medyr shifted in his chair, slightly impatient. The day was almost done and he had much still to do. He did not have time for distractions, enlightening as they might be.

�Then, may I ask the purpose of your summons?� Medyr decided to go straight to the point.

�Well, well ... because of the rumblings, however small,. I ... I believe the members need some reassurance.�

�And how can I help, in this area?�

�I have tried for the past while, I have tried to convince Ochall to brief the members. About the current situation. What is happening and what is being done.� Keudawg eyed the obvious red-flagged folder on Medyr�s lap.

�And he refused?�

�Yes.� Keudawg�s gaze focused on Medyr. �His office has rebuffed me. I was told to consult the daily reports. He is too busy for any kind of briefings.�

�I see. Are you asking me to brief some of the committees.�

�Well ... ah ... I was thinking ... thinking more of an open assembly.�

Medyr sat back in his chair, stunned. He could understand Keudawg�s frustration with Ochall. He was a noble with little love or interest when it came to the Reachtas. Ochall had often sent Medyr in his stead to the committees and assemblies. But it was unheard of for the Speaker to directly ask the second in command to speak to anyone from the Reachtas, let alone an assembly. There was a normal chain of protocol. Keudawg was breaking that.

Medyr was pleased with the situation but quickly analysed the possible moves and consequences. The most obvious would be Ochall. He would be pleased to be rid of this obligation but he would be incensed that Keudawg did not follow the proper custom.

The first key issue was not Ochall�s reaction but the Queen�s. In his mind�s eye, he could not predict an accurate response. There was an equal probability she would be displeased by the request to her being delighted to have him calm the rumblings in the assembly. She could not afford to lose their support at this time.

He glanced down briefly at the file on his lap. A face came to his mind throwing his analysis in chaos. No, the real threat would be Froech, he thought to himself. He was now becoming combative and contrary to almost of all the suggestions Medyr had presented. Which was what Medyr wanted. But Froech might see a conspiracy or some plot in the request. He still had more of the Queen's ear than Keudawg.

�Well, Medyr?�

Medyr released his mental musings and focused on the Speaker. He did not answer, letting Keudawg wonder what he was thinking about.

�I assume you are worried about the court�s reaction?�

�Well,� Medyr said with slow deliberation, �it has to be considered. I do not like standing beside a phoenix tree about the bloom.�

�I understand.� Keudawg put his hands together, forming a steeple with his index fingers. �I have watched you for some time, Medyr. What has always impressed me is that you do not play politics. Your advancement has been on merit not politics or family tree.�

�Well, coming from a small farming village does instill some different work ethics than those who have grown up in the luxury of the court.�

A crooked smile came to Keudawg�s face. �But you are not some uneducated farmer from the fields.�

�That is because of my mother. She insisted I learn so I could go out and find my dreams. She wanted me to see beyond Codhal.�

�Smart woman.� Keudawg paused. �But not your father?�

�I was very young when he died.�

�I see.� Keudawg shook his head slightly. �But I do see you are not well versed or interested in politics. There is no reason to start now. No, I will be the one to request you speak to the Reachtas. There is no need for you to navigate the shoals of politics.�

Medyr let out a sigh of relief, partly for show. �That would be preferable. Cause less friction.�

�Exactly. What I wished to know is that you would be willing to do this.�

�I am willing but I am not an orator. I may, in the end, bore the assembly to death.�

�You cannot be as bad as Asal. I prefer to be dragged over shards of glass than listen to him up at the lectern.�

Medyr rose, wanting the meeting to come to a close. �Well, then I will await the official request. Then I�ll prepare my briefing.�

�Very good,� Keudawg rubbed his hands together. �I will take care of everything.�

Medyr put the file under his arm. He could see Keudawg glancing at it. He wanted to know the contents but could not directly ask. Medyr let Keudawg dangle.

�I must go. I still have a few hours of work before retiring.�

�Of course, I understand. You are a busy man and I have already taken too much of your valuable time.�

�I�m here for the court and the Reachtas. I live to serve the Land.�

�We know you do.�

Without looking obvious, Medyr quickly made his way to the door. The Speaker remained seated. As Medyr opened the door, he looked over his shoulder.

�When would you be expecting me to address the assembly?�

�I would hope in a few days. A fortnight maximum.�

�Very good. Good day.�

�And a good day to you, Medyr."

As Medyr returned to the castle complex, there was a spring in his walk. He was pleased with the comment from Keudawg about him not being political. That was exactly what he wanted them to believe.

It was easy to do, because most of the people had a limited view. They called politics a game yet they did not approach it as such. They did not see each person as a piece on a game board. They did not see life as just a group of different games boards, at times separate, at times interlinked.

Near the side gate, leading back to the castle, Medyr paused. The golden roof of the administrative wing gleamed in the light of the setting sun. Beyond the wing, out of sight was the main palace. The house of the House Su�bhn�. The prize Medyr was aiming for; the golden peg on his main fidchell board. Once captured, the House would fall and he would have control of Llangeinwen.


© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
Being a major revision of the first draft, I am looking for everything - grammar, POV problems, plotting issues. Please note, spelling is Canadian not American so don't point the differences. Hit me with your best shot!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

465 Views
Added on May 4, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie