OV - Swords Unsheathed

OV - Swords Unsheathed

A Chapter by Loekie
"

The ninth chapter of the second section of A House Fractured. 25 years has passed since Darkness Looming. A critical junction is being reached that will change Llangeinwen forever. Told from multiple point of views.

"
Li felt the mood shift as sunshine started to stream through the stain glass windows. She caught a strange glint in Medyr�s eyes. As she drew beside him, Li could sense his excitement. Something was about to happen. It felt wrong. Tensions pulled on her being; she felt herself start to fracture.

Bright sunlight started to stream through the stain glass windows to �de�s left. A small smile came to her face. If the weather was clearing up, it would bode well. The MidSummer festivities would not have to be scaled down. She nodded to Kynan.

�Please return to your seats for the last petition.� Kynan announced. He waited as people returned to their places.

A soft sigh came from the Queen as she prepared for the new Vicar. Solemnly, Kynan came up to her and bowed. He handed a sheaf of parchment to the Queen before turning to the audience.

�The last petition. The Most Reverend Vicar Febhal ab Mabon.� Kynan clearly announced.

Febhal absent-mindedly ran his hands over his vestments. He tried to ignore the knot in his stomach. His nerves always went wild in situations like this. He had gone over what he planned to say many times but felt unprepared. What he was to say to the Queen was being watched by many segments of the Llangeinwen society and government.

�It is the Court�s pleasure to recognize Vicar Febhal ab Mabon, the supreme pastor of the Refuge of the Redeemer. Please come forth to submit yourself to House Su�bhn� and those it represents.�

Slowly the Vicar moved to stand before the Queen. He dropped to one knee, lowly bowing his head. He put out his hand, palms out. He took a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves.

�Please rise,� the Queen told Febhal. As he rose, her sharp blue eyes stared at him intently. �We welcome you before us and are prepared to hear your petition.�

�I present myself as but a humble servant to you and the people,� Febhal said softly. �I am a simple shepherd to serve the Maker and his flock.�

Einion rolled his eyes when Curcog uttered a profane word. M�th shook his head in disbelief. Febhal took another breath before continuing.

�I submit myself to you. Even though I serve the Maker, as it is written, I serve those who are in of this world. I come before you as one who is still journeying towards the complete measure of D�a�s fullness.

�I come before you as one wishes all Chosen to reach total maturity in faith. I am here to evangelize not tyrannize. I am to teach not control. I wish to witness the Truth not coerce.�

Not control? Einion scoffed. Medyr shifted in his chair, loosening his short sword.

�There are those, your Highness, that say I speak harsh words. I do not do so to hurt or create division. For it is written we are infants in faith. Yet as infants we are tossed by the waves and swept along by every wind of teaching.

�We live in an age where there are many winds of teaching. Look about and you shall see this. How many ways of thinking are presented as truth? We are all rocked by these ways, being flung from one extreme to another. We are finding ourselves in a storm of relativism. The waters about us are lashed by any wind of doctrine, what ever is the current way to behave.

�I have been labelled as a fundamentalist. Someone from a bygone era. Yet the dictatorship of relativism is one that recognizes nothing as definite. The ultimate measure of relativism is simply one�s own self and one�s own desire. I stand before you, unabashed as a respite to buffeting winds of change.�

A�fe ran a coral lacquered finger over her lips. He�s been reading Saar�s words. Now he is trying to make them his own. Aillil looked to the stain glass windows. Freedom would be soon.

�But I do not do so against the beliefs of others. All provide the first steps toward the Maker. Yet many of these beliefs change shape because of the vogue of the day. New sects form every day, professing vague religious mysticism to atheism to collectivism to radical individualism. Ones faith is buffeted by the winds of change as is society.

�A mature faith does not follow the waves of fashion. Or the latest novelty. The full stature or maturity of a faith is a faith deeply rooted in a friendship with the Maker. This is a friendship that opens us to all that is good and true. It gives us the criteria for discerning the difference between true and false, between trickery and truth.�

�de fought the urge to glare at Febhal. This was not a time for sermons. Why does he have to make this time into a lecture? Einion ignored a comment from Curcog; the arrogance of the vicar fascinated him.

�I believe what is called fundamentalism is to have a clear faith. A mature faith. Unwavering in the winds of relativism. Unchanged by novelty. I stand before you as an example of this bold stand. I ...� The Vicar stopped, hearing a queer sound from out in the hallway. Others became distracted.

The sound was a man in full battle mail walking near by. Yet the sound was incongruous for no one would be in the area of the audience room in armour, especially during a High Holiday.

The audience room was sacrosanct ever since Su�bhn� had instituted petitions during the High Holidays. Battle weapons, of any kind, were not allowed in the room. Defensive weapons were allowed but not to be unsheathed. The decree had only been broken once during the long history of petitions.

A quick glance showed �de was not the only one who was hearing the sound. The Vicar had stopped talking and looked over his shoulder, concerned. A murmur was starting through the audience.

From behind the Queen�s throne, Medyr slowly rose. His movement caused Ochall to stir again from his stupor. He glanced about, in confusion. Vigilantly, Medyr looked about the crowd, his hand cautiously on the hilt of his concealed short sword.

As Medyr moved closer to the throne, �de motioned him stand down. Medyr stopped moving. His body grew tense as the main oak doors opened. The end game was starting.

Bright sunlight shone through the doors, silhouetting a tall man dressed in mail and helm. As the man stepped forward, many gasped seeing Neued, fully dressed for battle. �de stared in shock, stunned by her brother marching up the aisle toward her, flagrantly disregarding court protocol.

Febhal shifted away from the dais, not wanting to become involved. Aillil shifted to the edge of his seat, not knowing what to do. He had never seen his uncle look so angry.

Neued strode up to the throne, grim-faced. His green eyes were hard with resolve. �de saw his hand hung loosely on the hilt of his sword. Neued ignored the staggered gapes of the crowd. His glare was focused on his sister. Defiantly he came up to the foot of the dais. Neued gave the new Vicar sharp glance.

�Sit down, priest,� Neued�s voice was hard. �This does not concern you.�

As Neued addressed the Vicar, two men moved into position by the door. A third came partly in the audience room. All three were dressed in battle mail. Cold anger grew in the Queen as he looked back to her.

�Why do you disrupt us so?� she asked, her voice seething with frigid rage.

�I have come to petition you,� the answer was simple.

�How dare you impose yourself in this manner? Flaunting age old protocol?�

�Does the sight of war make you fearful?�

�It does not!�

�Then mayhap it should,� Neued�s eyes narrowed.

�de�s grip on the armrest tightened. �This is not the time or place. You will remove yourself and your men immediately.�

�But dear sister, you have not hear my petition,� Neued�s voice was silky with sarcasm.

�Sire,� Medyr shifted closer to the Queen�s side. Ochall stared at his subordinate in surprise. �It is ...�
The Queen�s hand flicked up, stopping Medyr.

�I will not listen to you in this fashion, Brother! Weapons are not for this place. The last time a sword was presented in this chamber was with Llacheu. Many cycles ago.�

Beside the Queen, Medyr stood tensely prepared. His gaze flicked to Einion who gave an imperceptible nod. The goal was to contain the situation and prevent any possible violence. Einion glanced to A�fe. She signalled he should not get involved.

�But you have brought this upon yourself, dear sister,� Neued responded plainly. �You will not listen to me in the privacy of the court, so I must petition you in public like the rest of our subjects.�

�What foolishness do you speak?�

�I am prepared to defend the land. Are you?�

�de regained her composure. �I have always defended the Land. And will continue to do so.�

�You just sit there and hold court,� Neued sneered, �and curry favours from our enemies. The barbarians at the gate which wish to tear down the House Su�bhn�.�

A�fe looked to her Master who slowly shook his head. She was ready to draw on the ealdorf�h but Taliesin did not wish to do so. A couple of quick signs from her Dryhten told her to let the events unfold and not interfere.

A sense of impotence filled Aillil as he shifted his weight along the edge of the chair. Save a useless ceremonial dagger at his side, he had nothing to help defend his mother. Confusion flooded his mind, seeing his uncle confronting his mother. He had thought his uncle was a gentle man, not capable of such an affront. He did not know what to do.

Febhal was stunned, looking at the back of Neued. This was something he had worried about; a fracturing of the House Su�bhn�. This was typical of the moral decay infecting the society on the island. If the immorality was not so endemic proper court protocol would not be flaunted so fragrantly.

M�th could sense the outrage growing in Curcog. With a small nudge, he shared some of the Blood in him to help steel her resolve. The voice of the average person needed to be heard.

�Who do ye think ye are?� The audience reacted to Curcog. Many looked at the old woman as she held tightly onto her small beaded handbag. All they could see was her faded floral dress and grey flecked hair, tied back in a bun.

�Not now,� Einion whispered, fiercely. The Queen slowly rose from her throne, Neued never stopped eyeing his sister. A splinter of a smile came to M�th�s face.

�This is not of your concern,� Neued kept his voice even.

�Phah!� Curcog scoffed. Out of the corner of his eye, Einion keep track of Neued�s men in the room. None moved or shifted.

�I had a son like ye,� the woman continued. �Insufferable at yer age. As ye be. Think ye know everything, do ye now?�

�This is not of your concern,� Neued repeated.

The woman waggled her index finger at Neued�s back. She ignored the intense stares of Neued�s men and the concerned looks of those around her.

�Ma-am,� �de voiced vigorously. �Please sit down. I will address my brother as see fit.�

�Please, Curcog.� Einion pleaded.

�This be concerning us all!� She was emphatic. Her cadence and words shifted. �Sire, I know you serve the land to the best of your abilities. I cannot stand by idly and watch your brother usurp you. How dare he say you do not defend the land!�

Slowly Neued turned before his sister could answer. Medyr shifted in anticipation. A quick glance to Einion let him know what was happening. The old woman stared directly at the warrior, unfazed by his hard stare.

�Ma-am, you know not what you speak of.�

�Do you think I am unknowledgeable?� the woman scolded. �I read the papers. I have friends in the court. I know you have constantly tried to stop reforms that your sister, sire and grandsire have tried to implement. You are but a ruffian who wants his way in the court.�

Neued�s jaw clenched tightly in anger. Medyr flashed a signal to Einion. M�th seeing the exchange, shifted his weight slightly in preparation. Aillil stared at the woman in wonder; after all the whining he had heard he finally saw some strength, some passion. Taliesin again had to tell A�fe to stand-down.

�You know nothing of the court,� Neued�s voice was brittle with anger. �What has keep the Land from violence? The House Su�bhn�, not the Reachtas. The power of the Throne is slowly being eroded for a social experiment ...�

�Oh, get over yourself!� The old woman put her hands on her hips.

�My sister had refused to rise to the threats from within and outside our lands. She ignores insults. She has abrogated her right to the throne. It now belongs to me.�

�Silence!� �de shouted. All but Neued shrank at the voice. It had turned cold and emotionless. �Who do you think you are? I have abrogated nothing!�

Slowly, Neued turned away from Curcog. Einion gently put his hand on the old woman�s forearm. She looked to the ground, tightening her grip on her handbag. M�th released the Blood; she had done what was needed.

Neued glared at his sister with cold eyes. �Nico and Esg�n mock us. They laugh at us as you let the rabble here erode our system. They grow in power, amassing and waiting for the moment. Yet all you have are sweet, empty words.�

�Is that all you can do? Scoff? Unlike you I prefer to use diplomacy and dialogue before sending men onto the battlefield. I do not wish bloodshed for no reason.�

�No reason? I would say it is because you have not a warrior. Have you delved deep in the reports? The curs of the Houses Dispossessed know only the words of the blade. They play you for a fool. And you are. You sit on the throne like a befuddled, coddling mother.�

A shudder of fury ran through �de�s body. To her horror, out of the corner of her eye, Aillil had jumped to his feet. His hand held tightly on the ceremonial dagger on his side.

�How dare you talk to my mother like that?� His youthful voice cracked with rage.

Under his breath, Medyr swore. He did not need the brat to stir the pot, breaking the choreography. A�fe glanced helpless to her Master, seeing his order was still standing. Do not interfere, let the events unfold. Deep in his chest, Einion�s heart started to pound furious. He stared impotently as the Prince Regent move forward to defend his mother. The Vicar watched, horrified and disgusted. This was not the way any Royal family should conduct themselves. M�th found himself drawn to Aillil; the Blood ran strong through his veins. He shared some of the Blood with the lad.

Neued stared at his nephew, torn being proud and exasperated. He could see a strong warrior under the absurd ceremonial vestments. But of all, he would not understand what the problem was. How the House was being pushed aside; it�s power becoming diluted.

�Aillil, sit down!� The Queen commanded, her voice quavering.

�You dare call yourself Su�bhn�!� Aillil ignored his mother. He stepped to his mother�s side. �Would someone like Llacheu do this? Instead of working together, you sow dissension. Isn�t that what the Houses Dispossessed would want?�

The remark gave Medyr a start. A crack in his strategy seemed to be revealed. He moved toward Aillil, to move him away and shut up him.

�Lad,� Neued said softly, a hint of emotion came back to his voice. �There is much for you still to learn. This deals with a matter beyond your cycles. Leadership is a matter of intelligence, trustworthiness, courage and sternness. This is where your ...�

�Did you not forget humaneness?� Aillil stared directly in Neued�s eyes.

�Ah, you know of the words of Den Yeah Liu.�

�Only what has been taught so far.� Aillil was unfazed by the intense stare from Neued. �My mother is regent. Your actions here is sedition. My mother is regent here, not you.�

Neued looked at his nephew for a moment. �de did not know what to do. A quick glance told her Medyr was prepared to protect her son. Einion kept his view on the three men in the room.

�Lad, again, there is much for you to learn. Your mother has done nothing to avenge the raids up north. All she does is talk.�

Before the Queen could answer, Aillil let out a laugh. �All know that was the work of renegades. Are you the only one who does not believe the truth?�

M�th stared at the lad, fascinated. This is more than I expected.

�Truth is relative, nephew. It is based on the information provided to you. There is much you do not know.�

�So you have said before,� Aillil said petulantly. �But a Su�bhn� would not do this. Stand before the regent in full battle garb, prepared to draw a sword. A Su�bhn� would never flaunt protocol like this.�

�Like Llacheu?�

�Aillil, sit down!� The Queen ordered. �This is not for you. Let me handle it.�

�Yes, like Llacheu.� Aillil snapped, ignoring his mother. �He would not stand before his mother as you are doing right now.�

�de groaned, fear growing in her. She was losing control of the situation. But before she could do anything, Neued answered her son.

�Did you know that Llacheu stood before his mother in this room?�

�So I have read.�

�And this is what he did,� the distinct sound of a sword being unsheathed from its scabbard filled the room. The sunlight gleamed on the keen edge of Neued�s two-handed sword. A gasp rippled through the audience.

Medyr leapt forward to be between Neued and the Queen. Taliesin gave A�fe a sharp glance and a nod toward the Prince. Einion prepared to tackle Neued�s man in the centre of the room. Febhal lowered his head into his hands, unable to watch the spectacle. The two unfazed people in the room were Aillil and M�th. He grew more intrigued by the Prince standing defiantly in front of his uncle.

�Am I to be impressed?� Aillil said simply.

As Medyr moved toward Aillil, �de placed her hand on his arm. �Stand aside!�

�But I cannot not,� Medyr said indecisively.

A look from the Queen made Medyr step back. She glared at her brother.

�How are do you do such a thing?�

�If Llacheu would do so, so can I.�

�He would not do such a thing,� Aillil countered.

�Aillil, please. This does not concern you.� �de snapped.

�But it does,� Neued said softly as he lowered the point of his sword to the floor. �My dear nephew, Llacheu did unsheathe his sword cycles ago. In front of his mother. This is the way of the Su�bhn�s.�

�Enough!� �de�s voice was chilled with wrath. She looked at Aillil. �Sit down!�

�But, but ...�

�I said sit!� Almost without volition, Aillil stumbled back to his chair. �de turned her attention to Medyr.

�And you, back to your seat.�

�But, Sire ...�

�Do I say!�

As Medyr slowly made his way to his seat, it seem to Aillil that his mother had grown in stature. The resolve in Neued�s eyes were not dampened. The sword�s point stayed on the marble floor of the audience room. The Queen�s icy attention returned to her brother.

�I am not unfit to rule. I am the regent and you best not forget that! I am not incapacitated thus you have no claim or right to the throne. I will not stand for sedition!�

�You are unqualified. You do not respond to ...�

�The raids are the work of renegades, Neued. This was not the work of the Houses Dispossessed as your over-active imagination suggests.

�The land is hale, save for malcontents like yourself it would seem. Do you wish to plunge us into a useless war, condemn many to death for no reason?�

�That is because you fear the blade. You let the curs of Nico and Esg�n laugh at us. We hold no honour in their eyes.�

There was a faint tremor in Neued�s hand, holding the sword. Medyr�s hand tightened on the hilt of his sword, ready to draw it when ready.

�You stand before me with a choice, brother. Sheath your sword and we will talk. Or take action.�

�You are not leaving me with no choice, sister.�

�But you always have a choice.� Neued gave Medyr a sign. He pulled out his short sword and rushed forward. Medyr�s outdrawn sword prevented Neued�s sword from raising more than an arm from the floor. Neued glared at Medyr, his eyes smiling at Medyr.

�de took a step back, away from the reach of her brother�s sword. A�fe drew on the Blood as she focused on Aillil. The young Prince stared as the swords clashed, frozen, not knowing how to react. Li watched, impotently.

As Neued brought the point of his sword back to the floor, sounds of men running in the hallway could be heard. M�th glanced to the open door, noticing the two men at the door were preparing to move out of the room. Einion noticed the same thing.

�This is not ended, sister.� Neued focused on his sister as he took two steps backwards. At the door, several of Neued�s followers appeared. Febhal groaned as he watched the family squabble disintegrate into a public spectacle.

�Today I proclaim myself regent. If I have to claim the land league by league, so be it!�

Neued�s sword came up, it�s point directed at the Queen�s heart. Medyr moved himself in front of the Queen, protecting her.

�We will meet again.� Neued spoke to both Medyr and the Queen. Neued moved backwards for a few more steps before turning on his heel. Neued marched out of the room, leaving a shocked court.

A�fe looked toward her Master to see the troubled look on his face. There was much to do now. Einion watched and listened as Neued and his men rushed down the hallway. M�th let out a soft sigh, the winds of change was picking up. Now the House Su�bhn� stood on a sharp edge.

Aillil looked at his mother, aghast. How could his uncle do such a thing? As he looked out to the stunned audience he noticed one face focused on Medyr. The woman stared at him, as if she knew something. When she sensed Aillil looking at her, a faint smile came to her face. Her hazel eyes stared at him intently. Her smile gave Aillil cold comfort.

Unbeknownst to Aillil, Febhal was focused on him. His hands were tight as he prayed to the Maker. He could see why he was sent to Llangeinwen. Centuries of An�il had lead to open warfare between brother and sister. It was time for change.

The shards reformed. Li collapsed to the floor. Horror filled her. S�danta�s words were coming true. She felt the stain in Medyr laughing at her. She had to stop Dalldav.


© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
This was a 12 page chapter expanded into 9 different chapters from different POVs. So it is a raw version, hot off the presses. The key issues is my use of passive voice and grammar. Please keep in mind the spelling is Canadian. Hit me with your best shot.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

360 Views
Added on May 3, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie