OV - The Usurper

OV - The Usurper

A Chapter by Loekie
"

The fifth chapter of the second section of A House Fractured. 25 years has passed since Darkness Looming. A critical junction is being reached that will change Llangeinwen forever. Told from the point of view of Medyr, the head of the security division.

"
What a useless example of a person! Medyr ap Tarhtyn shook his head. The petitioner moving back to his seat revolted him. He did not believe the farmer could have stood there and blame everyone around him for his hardships. Never once was he willing to accept any responsibility. The audacity the petitioner showed, blaming family, members of the Brehons for the stress he experienced stunned Medyr. It is his actions, trying to steal his step son�s land, that brought stress to his family. Land that was not rightfully his to begin with.

This was the first time he sat up on the dais, behind the throne. His superior, Ochall ap Abcan, seemed to be dozing. Most of the senior advisors were falling into a stupor. It was the price to pay for moving up the ranks of the court. �de stated that she wanted to show the people that her senior staff stood behind her, helping the common person.

The rumours he had heard about the petition day were true. More and more people abused the day. All too often, the commoner thought they could circumvent the legal system by presenting their case to the Queen.

He looked about the crowded room. Medyr could not understand why ordinary people would waste their MidSummer day on listening to boring and inane petitions. Then again I don�t see why the Queen�s personal staff isn�t more judicious in selecting the petitions.

Some frustration rippled through him. He had finally positioned someone in the office of one of the Nicosean sub-commanders stationed in Din Sol. A quick glance of her first report looked promising. Yet he needed time to analyse the report to see how valuable an asset she might be. Something I could be doing right now.

Just like the spectacle before him, the Queen�s adverse reaction to the use of spies showed Medyr the House Su�bhn� was growing soft. In many ways, she and her father brought cycles of neglect for people working for Llangeinwen in the different levels of Nicosean government and society. The network of assets was in shambles where he first started in the security office.

��So only a brilliant ruler or a wise general who can use the highly intelligent for espionage is sure of great success...��

�At times you are no different than my brother,� The Queen groaned.

�Sire, a government cannot act without knowing the conditions of their opponent.� Medyr looked at the court druid who nodded in agreement. �And to know their condition is impossible without espionage.�

�I do not trust the whole enterprise.� �de pushed Medyr�s report aside.

�The use of any of the five types of spies has to be judicious.�

�Five? A spy is a spy.� The Queen snapped. �I just don�t trust spies. Just the idea that someone would be willing to betray their country, their leaders does not sit well with me.�

�They are a necessary course of action,� Medyr pressed. �There are many in Nico and Esg�n who yearn to be free of the tyranny of the Houses Dispossessed. What they do is not sedition. They are freedom fighters.�

�So they say. How do we know we can trust them?�

�We do not do this blindly, Sire.� Medyr pointed to A�fe. �The Order is no different. Any information relayed to my office is scrutinized deeply. It is cross referenced. If any doubt arises, that information is not presented to you.�


Medyr could not understand the Queen�s position. He agreed with Neued that �de was too much of a woman. There were times one had to make hard decisions. If Den Yeah Liu did not see the need for spies, he would not have written a whole chapter on their uses.

It was becoming apparent that the Queen was ignoring her brother�s words for the platitudes of the black robes and the whinging of the Reachtas. What was once a proud and strong House was becoming a straw hut with mewling babes. His late Master had predicted the decline of the House Su�bhn�. At times, he was amazed at the depth of the knowledge Cathbhadh had imparted to him.

�I know the adage that history is written by the victors but there is more. If you look closely, history is little more than a list of crimes, follies and misfortunes of the Chosen.� Cathbhadh picked up a white pearl.

�And you must be cautious, young one. You have heard the lies promulgated by the black robes of the Order.�

Medyr nodded. �I know. My father fell to his death because he was mad.�

�And you know better. They murdered your father. He could not be manipulated like Cobhthach. The Order will do anything to keep power in their hands.�

�It may be different with my sister, �de.�

�Phah!� His Master scoffed. �She has been trained by the black robers. She will dangle from their strings.�

A groan from the wall caught Medyr�s attention. Chained to the stone was a naked sidh� he had befriended a few days earlier. As his Master had taught him, he kept an eye for perfect specimens. The sidh�s taut muscles strained against the metal clasps that restrained him.

�Why are you doing this?� He croaked.

Cathbhadh walked up, rolling the pearl in his fingers. �We are all but vessels of magick. But we do not know our capacity. I strive, as my assistant, to know our limits.�

The sidh� struggled against the restraints. Cathbhadh smiled at Medyr.

�This is what one should see. Does this thing acquiesce? No. It fights. As it should. That is why the future of Llangeinwen is you and the Blood and Stone. Not the House Su�bhn� and the Order.�

�But what of you? You are part of this.� Medyr looked, confused.

�Oh yes I am. I will never leave you. My original plans were affected by the one who owned this pearl. But I have made the adjustments.�

�What do you mean?�

�I am not as strong as I once was.� The pearl stopped rolling. �I underestimated an adversary and it drained me. Yet it only delays my plans.�

�How?�

�Remember what I told you of my plans?�

�Yes.� Medyr sat back in his chair, ignoring the struggling sidh� and the arousal it was causing. �In time, you will join me. Your essence will become part of mine.�

�And it will be. But because of her, our merging will be delayed. Incremental. I wish we could be one immediately but that is not what the fates have in store. When you kill me, I will be but a whisper in you for some time. It will be cycles before you and I will be one.�

�So be it.�

�Until then, we must continue with our experiments.� Cathbhadh cocked an eyebrow. Quickly Medyr leaned forward, grabbing a quill.

�Let us see what this transfer of magick produces.�

As he placed the pearl against the sidh�s chest, there was a scream of agony. His body tensed, blood oozing from the edges of the manacles. Medyr took notes, fascinated, ignoring the arousal he felt.


At first, he had doubted his Master after he killed him. It was only cycles later that the familiar voice echoed in his mind, letting him know his Master was with him. Together they would be able to fulfil Cathbhadh�s plan; bringing the Blood and Stone to Llangeinwen and installing him as ruler of the land. Only then could the experiments continue.

From the onset he had to be cautious. Medyr hid behind the name of his mother so no one would know who his father was. He let people assume he was a b*****d, not knowing who his father was. At time it was not easy. He had to learn to control his temper any time a disparaging comment were made about the mad King S�danta.

As Cathbhadh would whisper in his mind - stay focused on your goal. Keep your eyes on the boards. His anonymity allowed him to navigate the court and the Reachtas. He was neutral so both sides trusted him; giving him an advantage.

At times, it was easy to play the different people against each other. The easiest was the Queen�s brother. Neued thought he had found a kindred spirit when he found that Medyr followed the teachings of N�ir and Den Yeah Liu. It brought him into his inner circle, making it simpler to create a schism between the Queen and her brother. It was Neued who suggested to the Queen that she send Medyr to Nico to investigate the state of the Houses Dispossessed.

�At first, she was against it.� Neued rolled his eyes. �You are too new.�

�I can see her point.� Medyr conceded. �I am but new to the security office.�

Neued clapped his shoulder. �That is what I like about you. You always try to see both sides.�

The two walked across the covered bridge. Medyr did not know where they were going. A couple of corners past the bridge, Neued motioned to his left. The Queen�s brother lead him to a public house with an iron wrought sign of a boar.

�I think you�ll like this place,� Neued said as he brought Medyr to a table. �Good beer and spirits. And almost no one from the court comes here.�

�I see.� He looked about, trying not to grimace. The wooden tables were scarred with age and drink. The walls were dark and old. The taps at the bar had a faint sheen. There were a few people sitting about, in average dress. Neued returned with two flagons.

�You leave for Nico in a fortnight.� He announced as he sat down.

�Oh.� Medyr concealed his growing excitement. �So in the end the Queen agreed.�

�As I said, at first no. Surprisingly it was the court druid that convinced her.�

�Really?�

�She proposed it as an exploratory mission. Because you are not known, you would be just an ordinary person. Invisible to the Houses Dispossessed�

�But she knows of the intent of the mission.�

Neued nodded his head. �A�fe agrees. Cycles of neglect has decimated our network on Nico. It needs to be rebuilt. I know you can do it.�

He took a sip of his beer. �I�ve seen you in action. You move about the different circles in D�n Su�bhn� well. You are at ease with a royal in the court, to a druid from the Order to someone who comes here. I ... we need that. I think you can find various people in different positions that will be of use to us.�

�You will have the letters of introduction ready?�

�Of course.� Neued pulled on his black pony tail. �I know you understand the importance of gaining intelligence. I�ve seen the fear in the black robes eyes, even though they dismiss this group called the Blood and Stone. Things are shifting in Nico. We need to be prepared.�


He had two goals. The first was to start and build potential assets in the Houses Dispossessed, for his own use and his job. Even though the first trip was successful, it had been a long five cycles. He had enough assets in place to be able to cross-reference information, distilling the facts he needed. Which could be massaged depending on who he was present it to.

The second goal was to start building a rapport with the Blood and Stone. This was trickier because the Order had spies in the sect. The initial entreaties were small and tentative. It was not until his last trip a turn ago that he finally met the leader of the Blood and Stone, Balzar.

A sigh came from him, louder than he wished. He ignored the glances and glares he received. Medyr looked to the ground. The end game was about to start. The schism between the Queen and her brother was about to ignite.

As he found out, his Master�s unlessons about having control of knowledge was true. With all the information he received from Nico, a discreet editing allowed him to provide the Queen different information than her brother. He used the obsession of Neued to fuel the breach.

Medyr knew the Houses Dispossessed were in no condition to mount an invasion even though Balzar was pressuring them. There was internal strife because of a bad economy. There was dissension in the military as the Houses tried to meet payroll and modernize equipment.

Yet the boasts from some of the members of the House Gwyngad he passed to Neued helped fuel his belief that the northern raids were being instigated by Nico. Even though Medyr knew it was empty rhetoric, it gave enough to push the Queen�s brother away from �de. Enough for him to take action.

�It is time.�

Medyr put the reports into his folder. �For?�

�Action.�

�I see.�

Neued took a deep breath. Medyr could see he was making a decision.

�My dear friend,� he said slowly, �I am about to ask something of you I wish I did not have to.�
�Then mayhap you shouldn�t.�

Neued pulled on his black pony tail. �I do not want you to be torn between two.�

�I see.�

�Today, I confront my sister.�

�You�ve done that before.�

�During the MidSummer petitions.�

�Oh.� Medyr sat back, pleased. He had been moving the pegs on the board for this outcome.

�And it shan�t be a petition.� He rose, going to his wardrobe. He pulled out his broad sword.
�It is time action is taken. If we cannot convince my sister to be a strong leader, then she must step aside.�

�We?� A moment of panic rushed through Medyr.

�Not you.� Medyr could see the Queen�s brother saw the panic. �I know the outcomes. That is why I do not wish you to take sides. When I come into the audience room, you will stand with my sister.�

�Ah ... but ...� Medyr let his words stumble to let Neued state his intentions.

�I know you agree with me. Yet what I plan to do may lead me into the wilderness for a cycle or so. I do not want you to join me.�

�Why?�

�Thus comes the favour.� He sighed, looking sad. �What I must do could plunge the land into civil war. Unless my sister can see reason. And I do not think she will.

�So I will have to build resistance county by county. And my sister will resist me. So will the black robes. But I will be victorious.� Neued paused. �In time.�

�What do you want of me?�

�To be the Queen�s man.�

�But you are right, she is wrong.�

�I know, I know.� Neued said softly. �But I need someone in the court, near my sister to fulfil my plans.�

�But me?� Medyr tried to be shocked.

�You underestimate yourself. You are now the head of the security office. Five cycles ago, you were but a mere officer. Ochall is a dottering fool who has abdicated his responsibilities to you. My sister and the black robes listen to you. So do many members of the Reachtas. You have become a man with considerable power and influence.�

Medyr picked up his snifter of Craigmh�r, waving it to Neued. �But our friendship is known. After you confront your sister, I will be suspect.�

�Not if you defend the Queen.�

Medyr looked at the warrior, confused. �How? No weapons are allowed during the audience.�

�You have long legs. Would anyone notice a short sword strapped to your thigh?�

�But how would I explain that?�

�You heard rumours of my plans.�

�Then I should tell the Queen immediately to increase security.�

�Why tell her?� Neued smiled. �They are but rumours. Increase your security. Have some of your officers in the audience. Like that Einion, who I�ve had my eye on.�

�There will still be questions.� He shook his head. �People will ask why I did not inform the Queen.�
�Do so. Privately, let her know you have heard rumours. And what will she do?�

�Not take them seriously.�

�Yes.�

Medyr took a sip. �You have yet to get to the crux of the favour.�

�I would think it is obvious.�

�It may. But I am not one who is interested in assumptions and intent. Ask me out right or do not ask me.�

�Ah, Medyr!� Neued guffawed. �You are a pearl in all the grains of sand before me. You keep me honest.�

The Queen�s brother slammed his sword into the stone floor. �When I depart the audience room, if my sister does not step aside, I will be outcast. Many in the court will turn their backs to me to keep their positions. I cannot do what I want to do if I am a lone wolf.�

�So what do you want of me?�

�Stand by me as my ears and eyes.�

�So be your spy?�

�Yes,� Neued said simply.

�You ask much.�

�Do you wish to see a strong Llangeinwen again?�

�How can you ask that question?�

�The decision is your to make. And I will abide by it.�


His plan had been long in the organizing. The cycles with his three teachers had honed his skills and resolve. And the endless unlessons with Cathbhadh were now bearing fruit; natterings his young mind did not grasp at first. But now he saw the genius of the works of N�ir and Den Yeah Liu. His goal was within reach.

His eyes moved to the new vicar. At first his arrival on Llangeinwen upset his boards; being an unknown quantity within the games of the island. Yet over time, Medyr saw he was not chaos for the board but an important peg. Through Febhal, he could achieve more in accentuating the divisions about the court than he could do himself. The intense reactions to his sermons played right into goal, especially his last sermon.

�We have nothing against new ways of life, tested in areas like communal living with large families. Or experimental schools, or new forms of vocational education. Nor have we anything against creative studies which can discover buried sources of imagination in every Chosen. Nothing against group dynamics with their new understanding of the interactions between the Chosen. we are definitely not against system analysis, as it is called, that is teaching us to grasp the totality without losing sight of the details.� Febhal paused.

�But we must stop and question for much of these things assume the Chosen to be naturally good. Yet we must ask, is that a valuable assumption, in the view of all the madness and cruelty about us? Be it on a grand scale or a small one, the Chosen have shown themselves abundantly capable of unspeakable crimes.

�We all wish to affect change. Bring a new society. Can we, at least, take for granted a Chosen�s good will and therefore his capacity to improve himself? Can an individual, a government, a society make these assumptions? Or must not the changes emerge at a much deeper level? To create different forms of emancipation that will not go wrong, as it has so many time before?� A reaction rippled through the congregation.

�Look about you. Those in power, those who profess knowledge claim we are free. We are emancipated from the natural environment about you. What has that lead to? Exploitation of nature. Groups profess sexual emancipation. That has disintegrated into a wash of pornography, deviant sex and a cult of lust.� Febhal pounded his lectern.

�The struggle for a society free of domination results in chaos and terror. Experiments in living together in communes are leading to psychoses and breakdowns. Yet what is the problem this all faces yet does not wish to address?�

The vicar looked about the assembled, searching. Medyr knew he was hoping for someone of the sheep in front of him to have a singular thought. No one responded.

�It does not address the spiritual.� The words came out almost as a sigh. �D�a spoke of all of this. He brought forth a master plan that is simple. Yet it is ignored and avoided by not just the unbelievers. But many who profess the follow His words.�


He could not believe the hand wringing in the meetings, trying to dissect and analyse the vicar�s words. Worry was rampant about what he would say and do during the MidSummer petition.
Medyr laughed to himself. The vicar�s introduction was going to be spoiled and overshadowed in a short time. The end game had started; the House Su�bhn� was starting to crumble.

Medyr focused on his l�r, he had to be ready for the Queen�s brother. Every action would be critical; he had to be seen as the Queen�s man. His breathing grew deeper. The prattling of Kynan receded from his thoughts.


© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
This was a 12 page chapter expanded into 9 different chapters from different POVs. So it is a raw version, hot off the presses. The key issues is my use of passive voice and grammar. Please keep in mind the spelling is Canadian. Hit me with your best shot.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

497 Views
Added on May 2, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie