Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by LylaCrystal
"

Faye and Shadow forget about their enmity and talk to each other, but soon, they have a moment of revelation

"
"Well, say something. Don't give me that look." Shadow said visibly angered by Faye's insistent glance. "You wanted to see me. Wish granted."
"N-no, it's not like that, b-but..."
"But what?"
"I-it just..."
"We must talk about... this." the assassin said, gesturing at himself.
Shadow sat down next to Faye, still avoiding to make eye contact with her. 
"Listen carefully. Besides my boss, nobody else knows how do I look like. I don't want my secret to be revealed. If you say a word, I'll make sure you won't see the sunrise ever again."
If it was to hear those words in the first days in the dungeon, Faye would have been scared. The weather wielder was rather bewildered. She tried to look into his eyes, but he them closed. It was something almost graceful about his profile that didn't let the girl look away. 
"You're so annoying! Why are you staring at me?" Shadow shouted. "It's like your glance is burning my skin."
"Forgive me" Faye said lowering her head "but I want to see your eyes."
"Do you really want to die?"
"What are you talking about?"
"Have you ever heard the rumors about my eyes?" 
"Yes. If someone looks into them, their heart stops. That's ridiculous."
"For real?"
"Yes. Plus, I promise I will keep your secret. A promise is a promise and I will respect it. You're my enemy, it's true, but if you don't want others to know about you, then it's your choice. We're humans, we should understand each other."
The young assassin stood there like a statue, unable to speak. He was still avoiding her, but somehow, he felt the urge to trust her. Faye got a little closer and when Shadow looked at her, they were trapped into each others' eyes. In that moment, pink and purple met, their faces being only twwnty centimeters away. Angelic. It was the first word that came into Shadow's mind. For a second, he thought it was a dream. He leaned towards Faye and rested his forehead on hers. He took her left hand into his, caressing it gently. For the first time in years, he felt something he thought he would never have the chance to feel again.
"You're so warm..." the assassin whispered, his eyelids fluttering shut. "I missed the warmth so much..."
Faye patted his head affactionatly, a smile playing on her lips. She couldn't explain why, but she was happy. Her flogging felt like a bad dream and the pain became surprisingly bearable. Her other hand reached his pale cheek, making him to look at her. 
"Your hair is like the night sky, your eyes like two amethysts... you have a special appearance."
"Purple hair and pink eyes... you look like a fairy. You're the one who's special. I'm not as you think. I hate my appearance. I look like a ghost. My skin is so pale, my hair is so dark and..."
"Stop saying such nonsense. Actually, it's gonna sound weird, but... I kinda..."
"I don't bite." Shadow said sarcastically.
"I like your appearance. It's something special. You should be proud of it."
The two stayed stood in silence, but Shadow's eyes went wide and he gasped. The assassin put his mask and cape back and before leaving, he said:
"Get well soon."
Faye was now alone again, but this time, she was calmer. The moments with Shadow felt awkward at first, but she had the chance to see his "human side". He was considered a heartless monster, but the weather wielder saw a person, with soul and feelings. The assassin has held her hand like it was something precious. He enjoyed her warmth. He rediscovered how it was to have someone near him. Faye remembered what Nyx told her about Shadow and his sister and her heart ached. She understood how such a small gesture, staying and talking to him, had such a big impact on him. These were natural things for her, since she was surrounded by her friends. For him, this was entirely new. After all the pain he went through, it seemed like he was able to open his heart to her. It was just for a short time, but Faye could see genuine happiness.
"I hate my appearance!" a voice echoed in her head.
The purple-haired girl's eyes snapped open when she remembered an event from her childhood, when she heard that phrase

"These lilies are so beautiful! It's not fair that Axel went with his girlfriend to help her do the shopping. He didn't give me any money."
The six year old girl was standing in the flowershop, complaining at the counter about her brother. She wanted to buy lilies to put themat her parents' graves. The saleswoman looked at the angry child who was crying. There were other customers who covered their ears, annoyed by the girl's sobs. She kept saying that she wanted the flowers.
"Kid, I'm sorry, but I can't help you. No money, no flowers."
"But mommy and daddy will be sad if I don't bring them lilies."
"I said no. Now go home. I don't have all day. You're gonna chase away my customers."
"You're so mean!" Faye shouted angry, hitting the floor.
"Get out! If you have such nerves, I suggest you to yell outside."
Faye exited the flowershop and cried harder. The people who were passing by stared at the little girl and made bad remarks about her.
"Such a spoiled child. It's clearly that her parents didn't do their job."
"Thank God she's not my child."
The little girl sat squat, looking around for her brother. He was with his girlfriend, buying some vegetables from a further stall. She decided to wait for him at the flowershop, thinking she would have enough time to calm down. When she turned her head to the flowershop's door, a little boy came out with a bouquet of lilies. He approahced her and gave her three flowers.
"Here you are." the boy said smiling. "You wanted to buy lilies for your parents, but you didn't have money. Take these instead. They're free."
Faye was silent for a moments. She analyzed him carefully, then said enthusiatically:
"Your hair is like the night sky, your eyes like two amethysts... you have a special appearance."
"Purple hair and pink eyes... you look like a fairy. You're the one who's special." the little boy said amazed. "I'm not as you think. I hate my appearance. I look like a ghost. My skin is so pale, my hair is so dark and..."
"Stop saying such nonsense. Actually, it's gonna sound weird, but... I kinda..."
"I don't bite." he said sarcastically.
"I like your appearance. It's something special. You should be proud of it."
The two children laughed and shook their hands.
"My name is Faye. What's your name?" 
"Well, I'm..."
"Lil' bro, I bought what we needed. Let's go home." a tall girl with jet black hair told him.
"Alright, Ally."
"Sis, we're going home." Axel told his sister.
The little girl was dissapointed because she didn't have the chance to find out the boy's name. 
"Your smile is very beautiful." he said sincerely.
"Thank you."
"Faye, I said we're going home. We're in a hurry." Axel said a little angry.
"Just two minutes, please." 
The teenager agreed and his girlfriend asked him what was wrong with him. 
"Your brother doesn't like me very much."
"Nah, he's just grumpy."
"Two minutes passed, now let's go." Axel intervened.
He grabbed Faye's wrist and headed in the opposite direction. 
"I will meet you again and I promise I will make you smile again." the little boy shouted.
"I'm looking forward." Faye responded, waving him with her free hand.

"This can't be possible..." the weather wielder said in shock. "He can't be..."
In the hallway, Shadow was leaning with his back on the wall, pulling his hair. He heard those words when he was younger. It was the first time when someone complimented his appearance. He felt the honesty in that little girl's words. The assassin remembered the promise he made. I promise I will make you smile again.
"That was the only time when I made someone happy." he said dissapointed. 
The image of the young girl flashed in his mind. Her smile was radiant just like the sun in a beautiful summer day. 
"Faye... I can't believe this..."


© 2017 LylaCrystal


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on March 23, 2017
Last Updated on March 23, 2017


Author

LylaCrystal
LylaCrystal

About
I'm just a normal person. People usually consider me weird because I'm just trying to be myself. I love playing piano and guitar, dancing, acting and of course writing. Art is an essential part of my .. more..

Writing
Tinfoil Tinfoil

A Book by LylaCrystal