Chapter 25

Chapter 25

A Chapter by LylaCrystal

Faye slightly shifted after hearing the strange appellative. 
"Zev, how did you just call me?" 
"What's wrong?" 
"You called me Rosie."
The telekinetic felt his blood draining from his face. He let his guard down too much in front of her. He expressed too many emotions at once and feared that he might have overwhelmed her. In her heart, Faye was on cloud nine. Her taciturn friend showed her a side he kept closed off from the world. He trusted her enough to allow his soul to breathe. 
"Forgive me! It was unasked of me." Zev apologised.
"Can you say it again? It sounded... lovely." 
"God, what have I gotten myself into..."
Faye laughed and playfully ruffled Zev's hair. 
"Thank you for everything."
"You'll be safe. I'm sorry for saying to screw the team. I was just angry that you always put yourself last."
"Things are messed up right now and I hate it."
"You'll be safe. I know you're strong and you're capable of fighting on your own, but just let me to help you. I don't do it because the king ordered me, but on my own volition. You're not alone. You've never been."
"I know." she said with a smile on her face.
"I'm sorry for not being there for you as much as I should have."
"Now who's the one apologizing?"
The two comrades laughed together and parted their ways for the night. A couple more days had passed and Faye gathered her courage to talk more with her friends. Zev made sure to stay close to her in case she needed help. Whenever he looked at her, he felt a weight on his shoulders. He was the only one who knew the entire story. From the entire team, he was the one she chose to entrust her biggest secrets. Whether by coincidence or not that everything had happened, he didn't know. One thing was certain: his brother would find ways to twist the truth and turn against them if they were discovered. Now Zev was partaking Faye's fear of judgement and possible execution or life in prison. The telekinetic turned the information on all the sides in his mind and concluded that the girl did nothing wrong. Given Edra's past experiences with the Moon's Wolves and the damage they've caused, it was hard to imagine she would believe or even accept that Shadow was the key to their partial success.
As Zev was taking a stroll in the garden, he stopped in front of the lilies where he had found Faye. The white-haired male plucked three of them took out a purple ribbon and tied the flowers together. He smelled them with joy. He thought they would make Faye happier if she saw them. He went to look for the weather wielder and found her in the library alongside Rishima. The earth wielder was showing her the picture of the 'destiny pendants'. 
"Imagine what it would be like if we could find the moon. It says that if united, they can grant wishes." Rishima said with enthusiasm.
"That sounds amazing." Faye pretended to be surprised.
"Um, hello!" Zev interrupted them slightly self-conscious, hiding the bouquet behind his back. 
"Hi there! Nice timing! I was just explaining this to Faye. What's up?" Rishima asked.
"Well..." 
Zev blushed and his words seemed to have disappeared. He hoped to find Faye alone, but having another one of their teammates see him like that made him embarrassed.
"These are for you, Faye." 
The telekinetic handed her the lilies, which shocked the earth wielder. Rishima squealed and shook her hands in excitement. She beckoned her friend to accept them, but Faye's features were clouded by sadness.
"Come to think of it, I forgot to give you the bracelet. We found it when we searched for you in the forest." Rishima mentioned and pulled out the jewel. "Here you go!"
Faye looked at her friends and suddenly stood up.
"I'll take them later. I got to go somewhere."
The girl left the library and didn't look back. 
"Zev, did I do something wrong?" 
"I don't know, Rishima. Maybe we did."
Zev looked at the flowers and went after Faye. On his way, he stumbled upon Noah scratching his neck. The green-haired wielder glanced at the bouquet and snickered. 
"Did you get rejected, buddy?" he joked.
"You're an idiot." Zev frowned.
"Come on, don't be like that. Why the sad face?"
"Have you seen Faye?"
"She looked really down. Did you fight?"
"I must talk to her immediately."
"Alright then, I'm off."
Noah sprinted down the hallway and a few moments later, Faye's screams echoed.
"Put me down, you fool!" 
"You're not running away anywhere! Ouch, stop kicking me!"
"I'm not some baggage for you to carry, so put me down this instant!" Faye yelled.
"Stop acting like a wild animal!"
Noah carried Faye bridal style and dropped her in front of Zev.
"Guys, I don't know what happened between you, but you should discuss. It's really sketchy to see you argue like that."
"We didn't argue. We'll talk later." Faye tried to excuse herself.
"Why are you trying to run from Zev? Honestly, you look like you're avoiding Shadow or something."
Fear glowed in her eyes. 
"I have to be somewhere else."
"Please, talk with Zev first!"
"Do you think you're Blake to order me around?"
"It hurts me to say it, but he's right. Something's fishy here." Noah pushed further.
"You brought them up, that's why she's acting like this." Zev jumped in her defense. "Things with Blake are still complicated and why the hell would you talk about the enemy?"
Zev grabbed Faye's hand and went in the garden in the secret place. The weather wielder asked her comrade why did he bring her flowers, especially lilies. Zev threw the bouquet aside and began to shout:
"I just wanted to make you feel better!" 
"Why lilies? Just why? First you, then Rishima!"
"Faye, listen!"
"You almost gave me away! After everything I told you, why would you choose lilies from all the flowers?"
"I just... I..."
"That damn b*****d! Why? Just why?"
Faye grabbed her head and let out an ear-splitting scream. Zev rushed to her side, but she refused to let him come closer to her. 
"Stay away! I'm begging you, stay away from me!"
She pressed a hand on her throat as if soothing her voice that didn't know until recently how to express despair. Days went on and no attack happened. She was trapped in a maze of lies and silence and dragged Zev into it, too. Seeing him with the lilies beautifully tied reminded her of her past and the time in the Forest of Venom. Faye wasn't sure anymore who she was talking to: Ron, who sought to make things right, or Blake, who sought chaos. Even if she confided Zev, she didn't feel she truly saw him. All she had in mind was the image of a young Ron offering her three lilies. Faye was hiding, but she couldn't believe she was acting the same towards the telekinetic.
"I'm losing my mind and I don't know what to do." 
"Faye, forgive me. I should've thought better before."
"Who are you?" she asked in distress.
Zev realised what was happening and took the girl in his arms. Faye's inner scars were showing up and he refused to let her battle them alone.
"Cry as much as you want. Scream, punch the air, cry more. Do what you need to do to ease your pain. I can't promise everything will be alright, but I'll be here to help you. I know you're not hiding because of malicious intentions. The burden is heavy, but you don't have to carry it alone. We'll make it through this. You're torn because of what happened all your lie, it's normal to be so confused like you are right now. I only ask for one thing: don't lose yourself. When you're ready... come back. I'm here for you. If you're lost, follow my voice until you find your way. I'm a big hypocrite. I claim that I protect the kingdom, respect the values, come to people's aid, yet I wasn't able in the past to reach out to you. You've been betrayed so many times, but have faith in me just this one time."
The girl's arms calmly circled around Zev and she rested her head on his shoulder. Her rapid breaths turned into tranquil ones and her gaze regained some of its clarity. 
"Zev, I've told you before that I trust you, silly."
"Thank goodness!" he exclaimed, hugging her dearly. "You're back!"
"Thank you, Zev. I don't know what else to say."
"Can you say 'I'm home'?"
"I'm home. I'm back. It's where I should be."
After a few moments of silence, Faye said another thing that was tormenting her:
"Do you think Shadow is dead?"
"I don't know how to answer. Why you ask?"
"I have a bad feeling. He bade me farewell before he made his wish. That's what my family did, too."
"Faye..."
"Do you think I will know peace? It's so ironic that I fight for Filaria's peace, yet I'm so damaged. I help everyone, but I can't help myself."
"It's hard, but take small steps. Plus, it's easier when someone is by your side."
"How can you be sure I won't be betrayed once again or I won't lose those close to me? I guess that's the risk we have to live with in the team."
Zev wanted to further console her, but Faye embraced him with such warmth that words seemed in vain. Faye's road was a rocky one, but he didn't mind. Only they knew the truth about everything and were determined to do their best to rid the threat once and for all. Faye remembered what her comrade said. They were protecting the kingdom, but they were part of it, too. She found strength in those words. Once more, she found the power to fully trust again. She trusted Zev. 
"Indeed, I'm not alone."
"We'll find a solution to tell the team. You'll be alright."
"We'll be alright. We're also part of what we're fighting to protect."
"God, what have I gotten myself into..."
Faye laughed heartily at Zev's sheepish display. Indeed, she wasn't alone.
 


© 2020 LylaCrystal


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5 Views
Added on April 14, 2020
Last Updated on April 25, 2020


Author

LylaCrystal
LylaCrystal

About
I'm just a normal person. People usually consider me weird because I'm just trying to be myself. I love playing piano and guitar, dancing, acting and of course writing. Art is an essential part of my .. more..

Writing
Tinfoil Tinfoil

A Book by LylaCrystal