Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Chapter 20

Chapter 20

A Chapter by LylaCrystal

Faye found herself in an unfamiliar setting, still clutching the antidote tightly to her chest. She was on a paved path, surrounded by flowers. She rubbed her eyes and looked at the sky. She had almost forgotten what it looked like after being trapped in the forest. Sprinkled with stars, a shade of midnight blue. The weather wielder took a deep breath and a familiar scent tickled her nose. She gave a pained smile as she got closer to the flowers. To the lilies. Her childhood memories replayed once more in her mind alongside those from the past months. Fate really wasn't merciful. Tying together Ron's and her destiny again after many years of turmoil was twisted.
"Such is life sometimes." she said derisivly.
Faye looked around and couldn't say exactly where she had arrived. Surely enough, she was in Filaria. She walked aimlessly for a few moments, until a scream pulled her out of her meditative state.
"You over there! How did you get in here?" a male asked her. "Nobody can get in or out of the palace except for a few people."
"Palace? So it worked! It really worked!!!" Faye exclaimed through tears, completely ignoring him.
He slowly approached her.
"Wait a second..."
"I'm home! I came back! I'm in Filaria at last!" she continued to shout.
"No way... FAYE!" the young man gasped. "Oh my goodness, Faye! It's you!"
Zev was the one to find her. He had decided to clear his thoughts and wandered through the palace's garden. At that ungodly hour, amongst the flowers and the night that carried so much meaning to the girl, they were finally reunited. He was at a complete loss of words. After so much time, she appeared right before his eyes. Like a lost wolf who found his pack again, he darted towards her. 
"Zev, I'm back!" 
"You're alive! You're alive!" he kept marveling.
He embraced her with such force, that Faye winced at first. He gently rubbed her back and cradled her in his arms. Zev distanced himself a little and analysed his friend at the light of the torches. She was much thinner, deep dark circles were encompassing her eyes and her feet were ready to give out. Her right hand was formed in a fist, hiding the antidote. The young man was heartbroken at the sight, but also relieved. 
"But how? How did you manage to return? What if the assassins have already tracked your moves?"
"It's going to be alright. They don't know I have already escaped. They might just
have a surprise when they revisit their headquarters", Faye laughed.
"I can't describe how happy I am to see you again. You have no idea how much I missed you!"
The telekinetic was a person of few words. To Faye, it came as a surprise his sudden reaction. There had been numerous occasions when they risked their lives, but at the end, Zev would simply smile calmly and nod. Unlike his brother, he always kept his composure and acted only when he deemed necessary. Yet his taciturn facade couldn't resist. The weather wielder stared at him intently, trying to make sense of his sudden display.
"I mean, we missed you so much." Zev corrected himself after clearing his throat. "We tried so hard to find a solution, but to no avail."
"How is the team?"
Zev paused.
"Everyone is an emotional wreck. I guess it's the best way to describe it."
"I see..." Faye said a little uncertain.
"About him... I don't know how to put it..."
"I think we should change locations." the girl suggested. "I... don't feel ready to face the rest yet."
"The pond. Nobody has gone there ever since you disappered. The rest are still in the palace and I doubt someone would come. Let's go there
The two friends went to the mere, the team's secret place guarded by willows. To the naked eye, there was nothing beyond them. Their foliage acted like a barrier against outsiders so that only the Nightfall team to find the hidden place. Faye collapsed next to a nearby tree and wheezed. All the stress took its tool on her and in her fragile state, she released the bottle. Zev's eyes widened.
"Please, don't say anything." Faye pleaded as she cast her glance in the opposite direction. "It's to make up for the failure I've caused."
The white-haired telekinetic leaned on the truck and helped his friend to rest on his shoulder. He gazed at her inquisitively, but he refrained all his questions.
"Take the bottle and give it to Edra now. She must have it..."
Zev didn't pay attention to the request. Instead, he took off his mantle and offered it to Faye. 
"It's cold here and you're shivering." he spoke after a long pause.
On the other hand, Faye didn't respond. She curled into a ball and completely hid under the mantle. For a while, she reflected on the time she was separated from her team. Despair, anger and resentment had been haunting her. Stuck in a cursed place. Pushed to her limits by one of the people who were supposed to support her. Saved by one of the people who were supposed to execute her. Then, the warmth of Ron's cape came to her mind. Such a kind gesture that could never anticipate such a chaos in her heart. Faye's thoughts flew to the midnight-haired male. Was he alright? Would they meet again after all the madness ends? The girl's hands clinged tightly to the material as she was making sense of her feelings.
"Just like him..." she whispered to herself.
"Like whom?" Zev asked, patting her shoulder.
Faye slapped her hand over her mouth and jumped on her feet.
"Sorry..." she mumbled, her eyes almost popping out of her head.
"Goodness, Faye, what happened?" her friend panicked.
"Nothing at all. It's just... Axel..."
"Axel? Your brother?" Zev raised an eyebrow.
"He used... to do this. Back in the day." Faye stuttered. "Now take the bottle. Edra must have it now."
The male couldn't understand Faye's behaviour. Bizarrely, she appeared in the garden. How, he had no idea. She had the antidote. He knew the conditions under which it was supposed to have been prepared, but he couldn't bring himself to think that the weather wielder was able to do it. Despite how vigilant their enemies were, she managed to escape.
Zev remained silent and stood up. His friend was not by no means alright. He couldn't imagine how she managed to survive for so long in a place where death was guaranteed.
"Let's get you to your room." he told her in a gentle voice. "You must rest."
"Something happened." Faye declared abruptly, wearing a serious expression. "Something happened and I don't know what."
If the telekinetic kept his composure until then, he became downright terrified. Without saying any word, he and Faye exited the secret place and made their way into the palace. Zev was aware of the fact that her return would be accompanied by celebration and he did his best to avoid everyone. The scene in the mere was enough proof that the girl wasn't ready to face the team. Something was wrong with her, definitely, but putting too much pressure was the last thing he wanted. He scouted the hallways and when the time was right, they made a run for it until they arrived in Faye's room. 
"I'm back..." the wielder said as she collapsed on the bed. "I'm really back..."
Zev leaned on the wall to catch his breath. He had to let the others know about Faye's return. The only problem was her state. 
"Do you have the bottle?" she suddenly asked.
"Yes, I do."
"Edra must have it. Give it to her when you have the chance."
"You already said this three times." 
"I don't want you to forget."
"Don't worry, I won't." Zev reassured her.
"After what I've done, I have to redeem myself. After all, I failed."
Zev opened his mouth to say something, but kept silent. His anger was boiling inside him. He witnessed fights between Faye and Blake, but he had no idea how bad the damage was. He assumed that she was purposely keeping herself at distance from the team, thinking she had let them down. The white-haired male was filled with pride and also sadness upon seeing his friend. She was the youngest, but she worked tirelessly to be better and better. She was captured by their most feared enemies and yet she successfully returned. She had battled the unimaginable, yet she still saw herself as a failure. 
"You're alive." Zev repeated, smiling.
"I am." Faye replied dejected.
"You're alive."
This time, there was no answer. The only reply was a soft snore, which made Zev smile even more. Faye was back and nobody could stop his joy. He covered her with the soft blankets and patted her head. The girl flinched and whimpered, which scared the young man. He sensed faint traces of scars on her scalp. The weather wielder curled into a ball underneath the blanket, completely hiding. Zev left the room, only to find the person he wanted to see the least.
"What the heck are you doing?" Blake asked confused.
"Walking around." his brother responded matter-of-factly.
"You know this is Faye's room, right?"
"So?"
"Nobody has entered this room since we embarked on the mission of finding the Moon's Wolves except for the maids to clean. Not even Edra approached it after we returned. Why all of a sudden?"
Zev glanced at the tips of his fingers. He still had the sensation of the callous traces of the scars on Faye's head. His hand tightened into a fist. Under no circumstance would he leave Blake enter the room.
"At least I don't cause havoc wherever I go and to whoever I meet." the telekinetic stated, glaring daggers.
Blake took a step back. He had never seen his sibling express so much emotion. 
"Again, what the heck were you doing?" the fire wielder repeated the question.
"Walking around." Zev responded, leaving his brother behind, knowing that he wouldn't dare to enter the room.
The grey-haired wielder stood in front of the room astonished. Zev was usually the calmest member of the team, but his sudden display left him wondering about the reasons. His hand pressed the doorknob, but he remembered his brother's fierce expression. Without any wish to release Zev's anger, Blake went back to his room, his thoughts still lingering on the awkward exchange between them.


© 2020 LylaCrystal


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5 Views
Added on March 7, 2020
Last Updated on October 15, 2020


Author

LylaCrystal
LylaCrystal

About
I'm just a normal person. People usually consider me weird because I'm just trying to be myself. I love playing piano and guitar, dancing, acting and of course writing. Art is an essential part of my .. more..

Writing
Tinfoil Tinfoil

A Book by LylaCrystal