Chapter 23

Chapter 23

A Chapter by LylaCrystal

To Faye's relief, nobody showed up in her room. Now that the team knew about her return, the king was the last one to find out. After changing her attire, she began to pray even more intensely in comparison to the time she had spent in the dungeon. The sovereign wouldn't need much time to figure her out. Ron told her shortly before making his third wish that their relationship would mean her downfall. What kind of relationship, she had no idea. She needed to let her friends know, otherwise things would become worse for her. 
The girl lifted the middle length dress, now folded. It felt strange to be back in her usual attire: a white linen blouse with flared sleeves, black trousers and a pair of black knee-length boots. She glanced at the keepsake that her lost friend offered her. She returned in Filaria, but a part of her remained in the Forest of Venom. In the six months she had spent with him at the Moon's Wolves headquarters, they learned many things about each other. Ron found out about the normal life outside the forest, while Faye discovered his hidden traumas. Now there she was, carrying with her a precious memory in the form of the dress which should have stayed with him. 
"Sorry if I'm bothering you. Is it a good moment to talk?" Zev's shy voice called her from the hallway.
"Come in." Faye invited him.
Upon seeing the telekinetic, the weather wielder noticed his glum expression. Without saying a word, the white-haired male grabbed a pillow and started to howl. After the confusing act, he threw the cushion back on the bed, slammed his hands on the wall and hit his head against it. Faye stared at her infuriated friend, knowing the true reason behind his behaviour.
"Him, right?" Faye hesitated.
"Goodness, how much I wish sometimes to beat him to a pulp! He always gets the worst out of me!" Zev rasped. "At least, the others understood that you need some space for the time being. That's the good part."
Her comrade achieved what seemed the impossible, but at the cost of his nerves and his twin's suspicions.
"Thank you, Zev! I'm sorry it didn't end quite like you wanted."
"I expected that from him."
"What did you want to talk about?"
"Um... him. Maybe it's not the right-"
"Let's talk." Faye interrupted.
Zev suggested the same place guarded by the spellbound willows, but Faye had reservations. Given the present situation, Blake was a dangerous hindrance. The telekinetic realised his mistake and tried to come up with another place, but couldn't. 
"How about we take a walk in the town square?"
"I think we would get in trouble, Zev."
"At least we would be further from the palace. Blake already has his suspicions and even worse, he thinks that you told me important information regarding the Moon's Wolves. He can be exasperating, but he knows how to sometimes get straight to the point of the problem, without having all the details. There is no way in hell I'm letting him have you backed in a corner."
"I guess you're right. When shall we go?"
"Right now. Blake said he will get his answers from you, but judging how he said it, he made it sound like an interrogation. I have to get you out of here."
Faye's eyes went round. Her comrade was adamant about taking their leave for some time for her sake. It was the best chance to get her concerns off her heart. 
"But still, I don't think I'm able to fly with you. I never tried to carry someone."
"I'm officially going nuts! Damn this thing!"
"Wait, actually, it's not a bad idea!" Faye suddenly approved. "I learned from Edra a spell that makes us invisible and out of earshot. Great job at coming up with this deception." she whispered in Zev's ear.
Her abrupt closeness and compliment made Zev blush.
"I hope I won't be too much of a burden."
"I can fight ten enemies at a time. Do you think I can't resist for three minutes until we reach the square?"
Zev took Faye by the hand and jumped from the balcony. Faye's wings were an advantage, as they provided a safe parachute. The door immediately opened and the one they were trying to avoid entered and scanned the room.
"My brother sure is a mystery box." Blake complained. "Luckily, I have a track."
The fire wielder announced the team he would be gone for a few hours into town. He wanted to snatch a horse from the royal stables, but that would have given him away. He spotted in the corner of the eye two servants from the kitchen preparing their carriage to go to the food market. Blake jumped inside, earning some questioning glances. After explaining that he had some business to do, the two men shrugged and let him accompany them. Their friendly exchanges diminished a Blake's anger towards his brother and comrade a little. He was grateful for the encounter, otherwise he would have left a path of smoke and ashes. 


In the garden, Zev and Faye ran frantically towards the pond. They were worried that Blake might discover their little scheme and change his route. Once they passed the curtain of leaves, Faye recited the spell. They sighed in relief and leaned on one of the trees. A brief silence floated awkwardly between them.
"We're finally safe, for the moment at least." Faye began.
"Yeah, seems so."
"I've never been so pleased with myself for pulling such an act. I guess I'm discovering another facet of mine."
The girl spoke with a smile on her face. It was her signature expression which Zev didn't realise he came to despise on some occasions. Always hiding perfectly behind it. The white-haired male got low on the ground and put his hands under his nape. 
"I'll stay a few minutes like this. I need a breather." Zev apologised.
"You needn't ask for permission. You deserve to rest, just like the others."
"How come you're so understanding?"
"I can ask you the same thing."
"I've always admired you for this, but there are times when it can cause you troubles if used in excess."
"What are you saying?"
"Not everyone understands the world from your point of view. You're perceptive of others' emotions and make efforts to adapt, listen or advice. The harsh truth is that there are people who will take advantage of your kindness."
Faye listened patiently her friend's words and nodded from time to time while pondering over them.
"It's sad to think that good people are those who suffer the most. I maybe not be showing it, but I'm bothered. I can't count on my fingers how many examples I know."
Zev looked in Faye's direction. Concern glowed in his eyes. 
"How do you manage? In fact, how did you manage? If I were you, I would lose my mind."
"Well, it's not like it didn't affect me. I never wanted to be dead weight for someone. My problems were always mine to solve."
"So you keep quiet and go on."
"Yes."
The wielder's curt answer almost made Zev's hair stand. 
"But why? Isn't it... torturous?"
"I'm used to it." Faye responded with the same smile. "Bottle up, swallow tears, grit the teeth and keep going. That's routine for me."
"And you're still standing tall." Zev muttered under his breath.
"You know, I feel weird now."
"Am I making you uncomfortable?"
"Absolutely not. It's just that I've never been so sincere. Not even to Edra or Rishima if you ask me."
"You're such good friends. I can't imagine it."
"Don't get me wrong. They're like sisters to me, but I can't look them in the eye and tell them how I feel."
"Then how come you can talk to me so casual?"
Zev question left Faye with her mouth ajar, but then her jaw tightened.
"There's no escape from your hawk eye, is it?"
"Faye, I'm sorry, but I must be honest until the end. I hate it when you keep everything locked inside yourself."
"I'm used to helping myself." Faye responded, lifting her shoulders in a half shrug. "If I were to talk, who would take me seriously?"
"He told you this, am I right?" Zev fumed, jumping on his feet abruptly. "Blake made you think like this."
"Calm down! We'll solve it-"
Zev punched the tree so hard that it left a dent in its trunk. The colour from Faye's face drained at the sight.
"How in the world did he do it? Why did he do it? What's so fascinating in putting others down? How can we bound by the same blood?"
"Zev, calm down! Take a deep breath, get the air out." the weather wielder implored.
"We're a team, a family, or we were supposed to be!"
"Zev, please!"
Faye extended her hand to him, but when she touched his shoulder, slapped it away in a fit of rage. The girl felt her palm slightly stinging. Never had she seen her friend like this. After regaining his cool, Zev saw that Faye was eyeing him with confusion.
"Faye, I'm sorry for-"
"NO!"
Zev rested his hands on her shoulders, but she took a step back. In an attempt to stop her, he grabbed her sleeve. Her blouse, having an elastic collar, slid down her arm, revealing a scar just below her collarbone. It didn't appear to be fresh. It seemed to have at least two years. Faye pushed Zev away and turned her back on him.
"Faye..."
"You're right, I can't run away anymore." she said as her tears came in a deluge.  "Who did this to you?"
"From the fight with the smugglers that sold weapons on the black market. That was two years ago. Well, not from the fight, rather after it. Me and Blake got into quite the dispute and... it didn't end well for me."
"You said they slashed you."
"It wasn't them."
A heavy stillness fell over the two comrades.
"I always do my best whenever we're on missions. So what if I wield the weather? It seems a useless ability. I compensate with combat skills. I fight in order to protect, not to get pleasure from shedding blood. Blake is the exact opposite. He's never aware of limits. He does what he wants. He says what he wants. He apologises, promises he wouldn't do it again, then repeats everything. Maybe he was worried about me after I got kidnapped, that's what I like to think. But I hate to remind myself that he doesn't miss me as a fellow comrade, but as the doll he likes to tear."
Faye took a sharp breath and continued to shed her feelings.
"He likes to remind me that he's needed in the team. That Edra has too many problems to handle. That I exaggerate. That I overthink the situations. Blake even told me that if I say something, it will have negative consequences on me."
Faye fell on her knees and countless sobs escaped her lungs. Zev's face contorted in pain. It was the first time he had heard such things about his twin. He was a troubled guy, but he didn't realise how Machiavellian he could be. His friend's anguish was the undisputed proof. Her facade finally crumbled. The telekinetic slipped his arms around her torso and rested his head on her back. The wielder wiped her tears and caressed Zev's hands.
"Who would've thought one side of the sword would slash my heart and the other would cut through my deceit..." she whispered, gazing tenderly at the hands that sought to relinquish her fears.


© 2020 LylaCrystal


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4 Views
Added on March 27, 2020
Last Updated on March 30, 2020


Author

LylaCrystal
LylaCrystal

About
I'm just a normal person. People usually consider me weird because I'm just trying to be myself. I love playing piano and guitar, dancing, acting and of course writing. Art is an essential part of my .. more..

Writing
Tinfoil Tinfoil

A Book by LylaCrystal