Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Rawiya Scarlett

A/N: I'm starting Kris's POV at the point when she reached the base.

Kristina's POV:

"So Wick, why are you here?" Caleb asked me as I walked through the door behind Raelan.

"Oh Caleb, I feel so welcomed, thank you," I told him whilst hugging him.

"Still sarcastic I see," I heard someone comment.

I pulled away from Caleb to see Oryn strolling towards me. Pushing Caleb away gently, I tackled Oryn with a hug.

"What are you doing here?" I asked a bit curious.

"That should be my question, and Rae got outvoted, so I'm a member now," He told me with a cheeky smile.

"Wait you know?" I looked at him then at my cousin.

"When did this happen and why didn't you tell me," I asked her.

"It happened last week, he walked in on me when I was gearing up," She replied while glaring at him.

"Okay, so you guys had a fight and there's awkward tension, awesome," I told them.

"Speaking of finding out secrets, why didn't you tell me that she was doing all of this...." Oryn started but I covered his mouth.

"Ryn, don't start, you know very well that my cousin and I are very very similar, our temper levels are the same but I have a bit more control...."

"Hey! I have control," Rae shouted but I ignored her.

"So please don't ask me why I didn't tell you, it wasn't my secret to tell and I didn't tell you because you would try to stop us and there would have been a big fight and all communication between us would have ended," I told him before sitting down.

"Wait, stop us, what do you mean by us?" Caleb asked.

I chuckled lightly, "You don't think that she started The Rebel by herself, do you? No, she got caught on the first night by me. She tried to sneak out but made a ruckus. Heck, I was sneaking in when she was sneaking out," I told them, laughing.

"What? You said that you were getting a night snack when you saw me," Rae said.

"Oh darling, I wasn't really, I was coming home from a party with Nuca," I replied.

"Nuca?" Ryn questioned.

"Oh, her sleazy cheating b*****d of an ex-boyfriend," A new voice said.

"Thanks for that lovely description Wesely," I told him, he offered me a smile before sitting down.

"Where's Naomi and Ben?" I asked surprised that they're not here.

"Oh they're on patrol, should be back in two hours or less," Wes told me breaking his attention from his phone.

I glanced around the room, it was nice and a bit nostalgic being back here.

It's like a second home to me, I've always come here whenever I had problems that I didn't want to or that I wasn't ready to face.

It was cool that the gang was back together, save for Naomi and Ben and that Oryn was a rookie but it's really good to be with my family.

Raelan, my favourite cousin, same age as me and similar in other ways.

We share the same grey eyes, our natural hair colour is brown but she dyed hers blonde a year and a half ago, (I had dyed mine red some years back but bleached it to help myself forget the past), so it's grown a good bit making an ombre look of brown to blonde.

She's five foot ten, so we're the same height, she has an athletic build, however, she was definitely blessed by the Lord in her assets.

It was really disgusting hearing Blaze talk about her body when she visited for my birthday. She's the head leader of this gang but she doesn't share the responsibility alone.

There's Caleb and Wesely, the identical Samuel twins. They were the kind of guys that make fathers everywhere buy a shotgun.

I won't say this to there face ever, but they are beyond gorgeous with their black hair and piercing blue eyes.

They're a bit pale but that's from spending too much time indoors over the summer since they rarely go on missions.

Their job is to find recruits, send the information to me to vet as well as analysis and other technical information we need for the mission.

Technically, I'm they're boss. But don't let their paleness deceive you, they are really athletic, golden boys of their high school, Riverton High, the quarterback (Wesely) and the centre and captain (Caleb) of the basketball team.

When they first joined, summer was always my favourite season as I got to ogle that their perfection.

Moving on, there's also Naomi and Ben, the parents of the group, they're actually older than us since their in university and they're also dating soon to be engaged, I pray.

Naomi is really sweet and caring, she's five foot nine, lean though not so athletic as Raelan she can hold her own.

As I mentioned she's sweet but don't underestimate her, she is ruthless when she's mad or on her monthly's. She will gut you like a rabbit if you cross her or any of us.

The only one besides me that can keep her in check is Ben, her boyfriend. He's a teddy bear, pretends to be macho but really soft on the inside.

He's six foot five, like his girlfriend he has brown hair, but green eyes while she has blue.

He used to play soccer but suffered an injury to his knee, it's fully healed but he doesn't go on missions or paroles often but both Naomi and he help in training the recruits.

Lastly, there's Oryn, the rookie of the group. It's been nearly four years since I last saw him but we've kept in touch.

He's grown a lot from the pale and lanky boy I knew those years back, the move to L.A. did help him a lot.

His skin isn't pale but has a goldish tint to it, he grew his black hair out (the way that Rae loves it, she went ballistic when he used to cut it), his green eyes sparkled when he laughed softly at something Rae said funny.

I see that he still has feelings for her though he denies it and is stringing along poor Pamela back in L.A.

His body filled out great, muscles and awesome six pack abs, Pamela's words, not mine but he looks good.

"Hey, Wick are you finish describing us to the readers?" Rae asked me.

"What are you talking about Raelan? This is not some book that's being read on some social reading site, please Rae our lives aren't that important," I told her while mentally telling all the readers sorry.

"Okay? Moving on from that totally not weird conversation, I'm gonna get some pizza, Wick why don't you come with," Oryn told me, I shrugged and got off the couch following him.

..............................................................................................................................................................

We got four large pizzas from Pizza Hut when Ryn decided to ask me the million dollar question.

"So Wick, what are you running away from this time?" he questioned when we came to a red light.

I faced him, "I'm not running away from anything, I decided that I should visit and help on the latest mission," I told him.

"Sure, you leave a month after school just started to come and help us bust a drug ring in Riverton High, without a care for your grades," He deadpanned scoffing a bit.

"Hey, I gave them an excuse that I had some personal problems to deal with and the admin would send me the work I miss via email and I do care about my grades, heck I could have graduated last year if I wanted," I snapped at him, hurt by his accusation.

But it's the truth!

Oh hush conscience, no one asked you!

"I'm not accusing you, Wick, I'm just stating a fact, you run to your cousin or me when you get into a tough spot," He told sneaking a look now and then.

"Really, when?" I asked.

"Okay, the first time was five years ago, when you accidentally flashed Raiden, you ran to your cousin because you didn't know what to do...." I stopped him there.

"I was thirteen, what was I supposed to do?" I questioned.

"You could have called Rae but you decided to fly out and tell here, you wanted to escape the awkwardness, I don't blame you for that though, I would have done the same," He told me.

"Okay, the second time was when you accidentally got drunk and kissed Raiden, you flew to L.A. to see me since your cousin was on a mission and I had recently moved there," He continued.

"You stayed a whole week before you decided that you would tell him how you feel but when you went back he had moved on and you were heartbroken," He told me.

"So?" I folded my arms sinking into my seat.

"So? Really Wick, so?," He replied irritated by my reluctance to see the big picture.

"Wick, you're like a sister to me and I love you so much but you can't run away or run to Rae and me forever," he released a deep breath before continuing.

"We won't always be there to help you, and even when we do you still hideaway until it's too late to fix or it no longer exists," He told me shutting off the engine since we were back at the base.

"Sometimes it's good to step back but other times you need to face the problem head-on, that's the difference between you and Rae, you're not afraid to retreat  from your problems while Rae loves to confront hers head-on," He said before taking the pizzas leaving me to mull over what he said.

Sitting there in the silence, I knew that he was right, I do have a habit of running away from my problems.

It's not like I don't want to face them, I know that they are some battles that I need to fight myself but I doubt myself and feel that running the plan by Rae or Oryn would boost my confidence.

Ughhh! Who am I kidding, I run because I need an escape and the life I have here is extraordinary, here at the base I'm important. 

I have a family that understands me, I'm a better me here, I'm different here. I have self-confidence in what I do, I just, I don't know.

Hitting my head repeatedly against the dashboard, I jumped when someone tapped the car window.

"It's just me Wick, no need to soil your pants," Rae said laughing a bit.

I got out the car, "What are you doing here?" I asked confused since nothing could keep her away from pizza.

"I figured that you'd still be in here after Oryn talked to you, come on let's walk," She told me and I followed her.

"So, what's going on in that messed up head of yours?" she asked.

I felt my shoulders sag as I thought about Ryn's words.

"He told me what I already knew, and I've tried to come to terms with it before but I just can't. Here I'm someone with a role, my past doesn't matter, people don't judge me, I contribute a lot, it's my safe haven," I told her meaning every word.

"Across there, I'm the girl with no parents, the girl that got cheated on, the girl that helped a felon, the girl that can't even confess to her best friend that she loves him," I 
cried out while pointing my finger in the direction of home

"The girl that killed her parents and robbed her younger brother of any time with them. I'm that girl there but here," I sighed my shoulders dropping before I faced Raelan.

"That girl disappears, she doesn't exist, here I'm not ridden with guilt every time I see my brother, or consumed with regret when Raiden gets a girlfriend," I spoke my voice barely above a whisper as I gazed at the stars.

"Here I'm free, I'm Wick the co-founder, leader, head of the technology and analysis of Rebel. Here I'm making a difference, I'm not being selfish......" I told her, that last word ripping my heart to pieces as I accept the truth, the real reason why I run.

"Hey look at me," Rae demanded.

I lift my head to meet her gaze, her eyes filled with sadness as she gazed at me but there was a glint of anger.

"You are not selfish, Wick. You wanted what every sixteen-year-old girl wants, you wanted to be loved, to be cared for by someone other than your family," she explained while gripping my shoulders.

"You went out and got it but you realized it was a mistake, even though it took you some time and cost you your parents," she continued with a sad smile 
"But instead of wallowing in depression or fear, you fought back and told the police everything, you still did the right thing in the end," she paused while lifting my head up.

"and if it wasn't for that girl who feels guilt, who belives that she killed her parents when she didn't, the girl that got cheated on, the girl that can't tell her best friend that she's in love with him, you wouldn't be the person you are here," she said as she tried  to lift my spirit.

"You wouldn't be brave, fearless, selfless, understanding, loving, caring, you wouldn't have helped me put this family together," She told me pulling me into a hug.

We started walking back to the base, when we came to the door she stopped me.

"You wouldn't be my brave yet stupid cousin that caught me and helped me the night I decided to The Rebel, and you wouldn't  be you," she spoke while staring deep into my eyes, trying to communicate that she couldn't have done this without me but I knew that she could have. 

I stood there taking every word she said. It gonna take some time before I accept the girl that she sees me as but I'm willing to work on it.

............................................................

I walked into the base to see Naomi and Ben sitting munching on some pizza.

"Hey I hoped you saved me a slice and some cheese sticks," I said to no one in particular.

"Nope this is the last cheese stick," Caleb said before pushing it into his mouth.

I stared at him in horror as he chewed and swallowed it, I blinked at him stepping a bit closer and closer.

"How long before she chases him?" I heard Ryn whisper to Wesley.

"About five, four, three, two...." Wesely stated.

"How could you do that?" I cried as I chased Caleb around the room, he sprinted trying to escape me but I was hot on his tail.

"Who's gonna tell her that saved four cheese sticks for her?" Ben said laughing as I stabbed my knee into Caleb's back.

"What?" I asked a bit confused.

"Seriously Ben, you couldn't tell her that before she tackled me to the ground," Caleb asked, wincing as my knew dug into his back.

"Sorry buddy, but at least you know never to cross me," I told him before getting up and skipping over to Ben for my cheese sticks.

Eating one, I moaned as it was still hot and the cheese was stringy and the bread warm.

"Hey, save that sound for Raiden," Caleb jokes as everyone laughs and I blush bright red as a tomato.

"Very funny Caleb, you want me to tackle you again?" I asked him and he shook his head no.

"So, since I'm going to school with ya'll to help with this mission, what's my cover," I questioned looking at Rae.

"Umm, I believe your cover is that my hot cousin is visiting," She said while picking the pineapple off her pizza.

"Okay, and what do I need to do?" I asked as I also picked the pineapple off my pizza also.

"Sometimes I think that you and Rae are also twins but separated at birth," Caleb said motioning to our similar mannerisms.

"We thought so too when we were ten but we're not," I told them shuddering as I remembered that day, Rae copied my movement as she also remembered.

"You sure because that mission where you entered the twins only game show to stop the Emerson's twins from being kidnapped, we couldn't tell you apart," Ben said.

"Oh yes I remember that mission, even Raiden couldn't tell us apart and he gave you the lucky charm instead of me," I recalled laughing a bit.

"What do you mean you couldn't tell them apart, it's pretty easy," Ryn said, I rolled my eyes at him.

Pulling out my phone, I scrolled through my photos before handing him the phone, "Here's a pic from that night," I told him.

He looked at it, stared really hard, zoomed in also. His face was twisted in confusion and concentration as he tried to tell who's who.

"Alright, I admit defeat," He told us giving me back my phone.

"I'm on the right and Wick is on the left," Rae told him as I put away my phone.

"We understand the confusion, our fathers were twins, but we assure you that we're not," Rae stated.

"Yeah, we saw our delivery videos and it wasn't pretty," I finished off.

We looked at each other and shuddered. Yeah, it was horrifying.

"Okay that's enough tales, for now, it's bedtime, we all have classes in the morning," Ben said as he and Naomi started to clean up.

See I told you that they were the parents of the group.

"Yes mum and dad," Caleb replied in a weird high voice.

We all looked at him strangely before shaking our heads and leaving the room.

"Goodnight," I told everyone before walking to my room.

Closing my bedroom door, I changed my clothes after taking a quick shower and laid on my bed.

"You're not selfish."

Her words circulated my mind as I stared at the ceiling.

I'm not selfish, I told myself before sleep took over.

Maybe if I keep repeating it and accept what Rae said then I'll be able to believe it for myself. 



© 2019 Rawiya Scarlett


Author's Note

Rawiya Scarlett
What do you think of the plot, writing style, characters? Point out grammatical errors or places where I need to show instead of telling, please and thanks. Anything that seems that needs to fix please let me know, I'm open to feedback and criticism.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on January 4, 2019
Last Updated on January 4, 2019


Author

Rawiya Scarlett
Rawiya Scarlett

Trinidad and Tobago



About
Hi I’m Whitney but my pen name is Rawiya Scarlett. I’m really passionate about writing and I just love to write. It gives me a release from reality where I can step back and think about it.. more..

Writing