Reborn

Reborn

A Chapter by The Dudeman (Kenneth T)
"

"He heard loneliness, laughter, fear, family, loss, love." Jared becomes an angel and we learn more about their existence. Also God.

"
A few seconds later, Jared woke up. This surprised him to no end. He has assumed that when he had fallen, bleeding, to the sidewalk, that he was surely going to die.
His eyes were still closed, so he opened them, expecting to see some pristine hospital. Instead, all he could see was a thick gray fog swirling slowly around. Jared stood up to better understand the situation. Remembering, he reached behind himself and touched his back; but there were no wounds, no blood, not even a tear in his shirt to suggest any sort of trauma. he looked down, but there was no visible floor or ground, just the fog, and yet somehow he was standing on a hard surface. Where the hell was he? was this some sort of post-traumatic dream? He was still wondering when he heard a voice behind him.
"Hello, and welcome to heaven."
Jared wheeled around and saw a man in his mid-twenties standing a few meters away.
"Heaven?" Jared asked. Wherever this place was, it certainly didn't look like any kind of Heaven. There was so sun, music, or pearly gates, just the slow, gray fog.
"Yes, you've just died, and this is Heaven." The man spoke with a well-defined accent that Jared was sure he had heard before, but couldn't place. "My name is Eddie McWilliam," he continued, "I was a medic in the Second Great War, but my buddies thought I deserved to be shot for saving an enemy soldier. Anyway, that's how I died. What's your story?"
Jared just stared for a few seconds, but answered him. "I saved Emily from a drive-by shooting." He couldn't believe that those words had come from his mouth.
Eddie's eyebrows perked up, "Who was this Emily to you?" he asked interested.
"She was..."Jared stopped. He didn't know how to answer that.
"Well," Eddie filled his silence, "whoever she was, she must have been really important to you, important enough for you to take a bullet for her. And also important enough for God to give you another chance.
"God... Another chance?" Jared was confused.
"You're an angel now, right? That means that God thought your death was especially noble, and didn't think you deserved to die." Eddie explained.
"But... God?" Jared was still unsure.
"This," Eddie gestured at the dark fog around them. "is God. This is the collection of the souls of all people, past and future. Listen, you can hear their memories."
Eddie closed his eyes and spread his arms out dramatically. In the silence, Jared could hear uncountable voices speaking softly in his ears. He could not hear their words; he was not sure that they even spoke in words, but the tones of the voices were easily recognizable. He heard loneliness, laughter, fear, family, loss, love. Jared immediately thought of Emily, of what she must be feeling now with him dead.
"What can I do now?" Jared asked, silencing the voices.
"Well," Eddie said, opening his eyes, "What do you want to do?"
"I wanna go back. I wanna live again, my life was just about to turn around." Jared pleaded. He desperately wanted to talk to Emily, though he had no idea what he would say.
"Maybe you can." Eddie replied, his voice unchanged by Jared's cries "God has been letting more and more angels visit Earth since the Revelation. Even I got to see my family... after seventy years." he sensed a touch of sadness in Eddie's voice.
"The Revelation." Jared said to himself. That was what 2012 turned out to be, when the angels came down from Heaven to announce their existence. That was over two years ago. He remembered the television broadcast of an angel that was begging to the whole human race to stop the wars, to end poverty, and to try to live full, happy lives. He had told them that God wanted their memories, but left too many questions unanswered. Other people all over the world had reported talking to angels of people they knew, maybe Eddie was one of them.
"Listen to the voices, do they want you to return?" Eddie asked mysteriously.
Jared closed his eyes and concentrated. The silence was now full of the voices, as before. This time, the voices were encouraged, inspired, and proud.
Jared snapped his eyes open. "I think they do."
"Good, then follow me." Eddie smiled.
He turned around and walked into the fog, disappearing. Jared followed him.


© 2010 The Dudeman (Kenneth T)


Author's Note

The Dudeman (Kenneth T)
I KNOW there are holes and unanswered questions here, especially about the Revelation. But it would sound too weird if Eddie gave Jared a long lecture about it, especially since Jared already knows that angels exist, because he was there when the Revelation took place.
Thanks to "Wolly" Wollinger for suggesting I use an Irish name and to Sarah Hammann for giving me one.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You're good at ending chapters, not cutting them short, not dragging them on. You pick the perfect place. Good job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


WHOOO EDDIE. I was like 'hey I know that name!' That was fun. :) I am interested in what the Relevation is/was, it sounds pretty epic and life-changing. It was fun giving him an Irish accent in my head. I was a little surprised on how fast and abrupt that was, but I take forever to go anywhere with plot, so I guess it's all a matter of opinion.
PS- YAY I GET MENTIONED!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow, I think this is a great chapter. It was easy to imagine the Heaven you described. You had a very creative view on God and Heaven and it was enjoyable to read. I would definitely read more...

Posted 14 Years Ago


I've only read this one chapter (caught my eye on the Live Feed), but I'm kinda impressed. Especially with your explanation of 'God.'
I'm captured, and I want to know just how it'll all go through.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 14, 2010
Last Updated on March 14, 2010


Author

The Dudeman (Kenneth T)
The Dudeman (Kenneth T)

E'ville, WI



About
Hey guys, I'm Kenneth. I'm 18 years old and I'm the most conflicted person you'll ever meet. Different people know me as a nerd, an emo, a bad a*s, a pervert, and a hopeless romantic. I have jumped o.. more..

Writing