Chapter 12: Never Again

Chapter 12: Never Again

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob

I'm lost. A breeze whistled through the silent village shifting the sands at my feet, all the villagers had gone to sleep leaving me alone to my thoughts. Beside me, his lifeless body lay, my best friend even in death. I was free, nothing to stop me from starting my search and yet, I was lost. I thought and thought about where to start, but the mines had made it painfully clear to me about this world. If you were weak death awaited you, Leo's body was proof of that. Many things kept me from sleeping, the nightmares, and the unknown direction I would have to take if am going to find Aurora. 

Although the sun shined brightly in the sky it was night for the village. No villagers to roam the street whispering about my pathetic appearance, no merchants giving me cold eyes for looking at their wares just the sound of the wind shifting the sands. Grunting, I drag the body outside the small village the farther I walked the heavier it felt, whether it be from the weight of his body or the pressure that suffocated my heart. But I walked on until I was far away from anyone or anything. 

The sheet slips from my grasp and as I fall to my knees I begin to dig. The sand hot in my hands, this was something I had to do, something only I could do and as the hours went by the mound grew bigger beside the hole. My arms burned and as I dropped his body into the hole another weight falling upon my shoulders. Looking into the small hole his body seemed small, and the memories of another time surface in my mind. "If only I had believed in you, the way you believed in me." Maybe he would still be alive. 

Death, it wasn't something that I thought on in my previous life, but in this world, it was something that I had grown accustomed to. It didn't make this any easier, the longer I looked at his corpse the less I knew what to say. The only word I could think to say was "sorry," sorry for blaming you for everything that happened, sorry for thinking you were holding me back, sorry for doubting your loyalty. Sorry for being a bad friend. 

If my eyes weren't so dry I might have cried, my body felt heavy yet my heart felt hollow. Each handful of sand carrying meaning as I dropped it into the hole and when I finished it was as if he wasn't there. There was no gravestone, no flowers, nothing. If I prayed to God would he hear me? Did he exist in this world? If he did or not my wish would be the same, "May you rest in peace." 

The walk back to the village was long, giving me plenty of time to adjust to my new reality, although I had friends they didn't carry the same goal I had. They didn't even know I wasn't from this world, making it clear that I was truly alone in my search. If I was going to find her, if I was going to survive and return home, I would need power. Power, the word bringing the image of the girl who had battled Wickum surfaced in my mind and I knew what I had to do. 

The village was lively when I returned walking up to Ren he wore his usual carefree smile, "You missed breakfast, and before you ask no I didn't save you any tough luck." 

"I'm not all that hungry," I replied. The small camp they had set up for us was composed of tents, the Liberators said they would provide one meal a day. The rest we would have to do odd jobs around the village for a meal, but that didn't matter now. 

"Have you seen the girl? The one that spoke to us yesterday?" Looking at me his mouth was full of food, shaking his head he returned to his meal, stuffing as much food into his mouth as possible. Swallowing he continued, "By the way where did you go? Why are your eyes red?" 

I couldn't look him in the eye with my reply, "I went to bury Leo's body." He looked at me confused before Celeste joins in, "bury his body for what?" 

"He deserved a proper burial, it was the least I could have done for him." I bark. She didn't seem angry but confused and wore the same look as Ren. "Why bother to bury his body? You didn't you just burn his corpse?" 

The question left me speechless and I stared at the two as they looked at me with curiosity. "Why would I burn his body! That's inhumane!" The two looked at each other and just shrugged their shoulders, Ren scratching his head awkwardly, "Well if you don't burn the body won't he just rot in the ground? It's bad if a Burrwom gets his scent and comes to attack the village. Everyone living in the desert knows that man." 

Now I was confused and looked at them absentmindedly before a man approached us wearing the Liberators uniform, "Hello and Good morning, my name is Hooker Ondra, 1st lieutenant of the Liberators, our commander would like to speak to you promptly." The man's hair was tied in a small ponytail which I didn't think suited his age. "Why does your commander want to speak with me?" I asked suspiciously. Had she known of my intention to ask for her help? Or perhaps she was like the witch Wickum had spoken about and had other intentions. 

Hooker coughed slightly before continuing, "She has formally requested your aid in joining the Liberators and wishes for you to travel towards the port of Denebay tomorrow. Now if you would follow me she isn't one you want to keep waiting." Ren and Celeste both shrugged their shoulders in confusion as I glanced at them. "You were looking for her anyway why not just see what it's about." Ren replied, "Don't worry if someone kidnaps you I'll be sure to come and save you." Exposing a grin, he pats my back before pushing me towards Hooker. 

I peek over y shoulder as they wave at me, walking close behind Hooker as he leads me away from the camp. He brought me to a worn-down building, walking through the curtain the room is covered in sand. A single bar lay on the far side of the wall opposite of it 2 worn couches sat surround by broken tables and stools in the center of the room. Sitting at the bar the girl looked over, her green eye's watching me, perhaps taking me in before she motions for us to join her. 

Sliding in my chair the girl sips her drink, slowly washing down the brown liquid before placing it on the table. "Who are you? What are you doing in this desert?" She didn't bother to look at me as she asked the question which felt more like a demand, she simply sipped her drink as Hooker stood behind her watching me. I wanted this woman's help, she was strong and I want her power, "My names Finn Alister, I was searching for my sister when I was abducted by the beast-men." 

"I was hoping you could teach me how to fight." The girl twitched before looking at me, "teach you to fight? That's what you want?" Chuckling she slides her glass away causing Hooker to jump after it, "Ok Finn Alister, I'll teach you how to fight, but you must also agree to what I'm about to say." My mind screamed trap, but I ignored it. If I couldn't even protect myself, how could I find left alone protect my sister? If I had her power Leo would still be alive, so would Baltor and Zefire. "What are your terms?" I mutter. 

She wore a devilish smile as she spoke, "That's not how this works. You either agree with them and I teach you, or you don't and leave." The girl may have looked younger than me but she was clever, perhaps she knew I wouldn't agree to her terms if I heard them. Or perhaps she just liked playing mind games, unlike Celeste this girl had, similarities to how woman back home would act. Letting out a breath "Ok, I agree to your terms." 

The girl didn't look surprised and simply poured another drink, this time in two mugs. "Well Finn, my names Da'in Kirin, Commander of the Liberators." Finishing the glass, she slides it in front of me before a grin spreads on her face. "Welcome to the Liberators."



© 2017 ThyFilthyNoob


Author's Note

ThyFilthyNoob
Hello and thanks again for reading show your support and give me a rating and review on http://royalroadl.com/fiction/13325/the-lost-crest
or become a patron at https://www.patreon.com/ThyFilthyNoob

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really like this chapter. It showed good character development for Finn. Finn's emotions were very well expressed here and well written. I could really feel what he was feeling through the page (Or screen, whatever, hah).
I'm interested in seeing how his training goes and seeing him grow stronger as a character.
Good chapter.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like this chapter. It showed good character development for Finn. Finn's emotions were very well expressed here and well written. I could really feel what he was feeling through the page (Or screen, whatever, hah).
I'm interested in seeing how his training goes and seeing him grow stronger as a character.
Good chapter.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
1 Review
Added on August 21, 2017
Last Updated on August 21, 2017


Author

ThyFilthyNoob
ThyFilthyNoob

Cleveland, OH



About
Hi, I'm a new writer hoping to share my stories and gain some insight on what is needed to create compelling fictions. My hope is that it will one day be transformed from a book to a graphic novel and.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob