Chapter 15: Temple of Meme

Chapter 15: Temple of Meme

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob

I had never needed to steal before, being from a wealthy family I never had to experience going hungry, desperation or the need to take something without paying. But being here, in this world had changed me. Before I even realized it, I was planning a crime for my own survival. Whether it was perceived as good or evil in the face of others didn't matter. Looking down at the thin sword my grip tightened around the sheath, my resolve clearing as I stepped through the door exiting the building.  

Hooker continued his cheerful chatter with the owner, gloating about his sword no doubt, making a good distraction as I walked away from the store. I felt no guilt for what I did and the farther I got from the store the less tension I felt. "Now that I have a weapon all that's left is, the medical supplies." Medical bandages and wrappings would be expensive, having only three Tri pieces I wondered how Da'in had thought it was enough to buy anything let alone a weapon and bandages. Asking around the market many of the residences seemed more relaxed with my appearance. Not being in rags or smelling possibly helped with that.  

After asking around for about an hour no one seemed to know where I could buy bandages for only 3 Tri pieces, some even laughing at the question until they realized I was serious. One man had told me that the temple gave free medical attention to those that defended the village from outside threats, and they might be willing to sell me their supplies for a lower than market price. Pointing me in the direction I thanked him before weaving through the dwindling crowd of people. It was getting late and many of them were packing up their business for the day.  

The people of the village called it a temple, but it looked just like the other buildings on the outside. although a little taller the pyramid shaped building had no visible windows from the outside, walking through the curtain I'm greeted by a dimly lit room and many bald men and woman silently bowing their heads. and on the farther side of the room, the same statue that was erected in the center of the village was also here only a smaller version.  

I stayed in the back of the room hidden in shadow, I wasn't a religious man personally and I felt awkward intruding in on the prayer. Looking around I recognized some of the former slaves, their heads also absent of any hair. How they could still believe in a God after what we had suffered through I didn't know, perhaps it was the only thing keeping them going in this cruel world. Raising their heads, the devotes clap their hands once in unison before chatter starts to fill the room. Walking out of the shadows gets me the attention of a few of them, walking up to me with a wide smile on their face. 

"What brings you here Liberator? How can we be of service to you?"  The man wore many rings on his fingers, I assumed him to be in charge.  

"I've come looking for bandages for my journey through the desert tomorrow, the supply shops sell them for too much money and my budget is low at the moment." Tapping his chin, the man thought for a moment, "I'm sorry to tell you this Liberator, but our bandages are reserved for any battle that may arise, there strictly for healing the warriors who risk their lives protecting our home and loved ones." 

"You can't spare a few of them?" I ask, I wasn't going to beg for their help but I had nowhere else to turn. "I'm afraid not, you are more than welcome to come for any treatments needed for a fee of course, but I cannot permit the selling of our bandages in large quantities." The bald man seemed trouble at his inability to provide any help, his wrinkles forming a deep frown before a smile surfaced on his face. "We may not be able to provide you with any medical equipment but perhaps you would be interested in letting our helbreder accompany you?" 

"Your helbreder? How does that help me with my problem?" I ask, the old man laughed heartily before pointing towards the statue. At the base 3 people lay kneeling in prayer, they all wore white gowns cut off at the ankles revealing their bare feet. Finishing, they all stood the candlelight gleaming off of their hairless heads. "Come my helbreders, this Liberator requires your assistance." They looked at each other briefly before striding over, it seemed like a glow emanated from them. 

Each of them bowed in unison as they arrived not saying a word, "We have three new pledges with us that have started the path of being a helbreder, although they received the mighty blessing from our Lord Meme they are still inexperienced in the ways of the world and I wish for them to venture along with you in your travels."  

Looking at the group they didn't look any different than me and I didn't see the benefit of taking anyone of them along with me, and I doubted Da'in would be happy that I decided to bring along someone from the temple without her approval. "How will me bringing one of these men with me going to solve my problem?" The words came out much harsher than I intended. 

The three men didn't seem to mind or react in the slightest. They gave off an emotionless presence which gave me the creeps. "A helbreder will do far better than any bandage or medicine could do, they practice the craft of divination healing the mind, body, and spirit. Although new in the craft they are still quite an asset if taken with you on your journey." 

I was a bit shocked, I thought magic had disappeared from the lands yet here were 3 men capable of healing wounds, I thought on it briefly before agreeing to take a man with me on our journey. I figured I could question him later about how he was able to use magic. The old man nodded in approval a smile plastered on his face before beckoning to the shorter of the men. He was thin, his skin not as dark as most people I'd seen in the village, standing beside the old man he bowed towards me, "thank you for allowing me to join you on your travels, my name is Orie a disciple under the charge of master Shidaum.  

So, the old guy's name is Shidaum, I thought before the other two men stalked off. "He is only a disciple but his skills in the craft are superb among the others, do treat him well and return him safely to us." I nodded, before speaking with Orie explaining where he would meet for tomorrows departure and what he would need. He simply nodded at my instruction without saying a word, after which he walked away to which I assume was to prepare. 

After thanking Shidaum I headed back towards the camp looking forward to seeing the familiar faces of my friends. Walking through the tent I'm greeted by Ren covered in sand, "where have you been I was getting worried. Do you have any idea what time it is?" He spoke while giggling, "Oh shut up, where's Celeste shouldn't she be here by now?"  

Looking down Ren murmured, "She still at the blacksmith's, she's been working none stop ever since she left earlier. She'll be at your departure tomorrow so don't worry."  

Nodding my head, I lay in the sandy straw staring up at the tent, my mind prodded with the uncertainties of tomorrow before whispering, "One thing is certain tomorrow everything begins." 

Before hearing Ren snap, "Shut up! I'm trying to sleep."



© 2017 ThyFilthyNoob


Author's Note

ThyFilthyNoob
Thanks again for reading! Hope you enjoyed

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on August 26, 2017
Last Updated on August 26, 2017


Author

ThyFilthyNoob
ThyFilthyNoob

Cleveland, OH



About
Hi, I'm a new writer hoping to share my stories and gain some insight on what is needed to create compelling fictions. My hope is that it will one day be transformed from a book to a graphic novel and.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob