Chapter 14: Picking a Partner

Chapter 14: Picking a Partner

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob

There was no mistake, it was the same beast that had captured me and Leo when we first arrived in the desert, his beady black eye’s stayed on me even after taking off his hood. My palms drenched in sweat as the memories began to surface in my mind, followed by an insatiable anger.

“What the hell is this?” I mutter, “Why is he here! He’s the one who got Leo killed, he’s the reason why so many people have died!” Joining in beside me Celeste barks in agreement, “You brought a beast-man back to our village! Have you gone mad father? They can’t be trusted.” The Captain took another puff from his wooden pipe before exhaling the smoke sending a haze throughout the room, “He’s the reason we were able to succeed in the mission at all if it wasn’t for the intel he provided we wouldn’t have made a successful attack.”

The beast-man wore a smile as the captain defended him, only seeming to increase Da’in’s anger. “If we had just done what I said you wouldn’t need to rely on such a disgusting thing! You trust that thing more than your own daughter!” A thud rang out at as the captain slammed his fist onto the table, creating silence throughout the room. “You’re still just a child Da’in, not everything can be accomplished with brute force. Peewee has been giving us information for a long time now. He may have to do vile things to keep the trust of the beast-man but it is a sacrifice needed in order to purge the deserts.”

“I’ve had enough of this,” I mutter before dashing towards the unsuspecting beast, my hands clenched as my knuckles tore into his face. I had told myself I couldn’t beat him, that I was too weak, but I didn’t care if he beat me or killed me. I just wanted him to pay., for all the bruises and broken bones, all the lashings and tears, for Baltor, Zefire and Leo, for what Celeste had to endure, for the nightmares that kept me awake at night, for everything. He didn’t budge even as I continued to throw fist after fist at him. Grabbing my arm Da’in shakes her head at me.

My face burned as I stride towards the door, Da’in following close behind surprisingly. I didn’t expect her to disagree with the Captain and it was reassuring I had an ally on this matter. Walking out of the building we’re greeted by Hooker, raising a salute to Da’in asking how the meeting had gone. Da’in Scoffed at the question we continued through the village heading towards the carriage, we would be riding in tomorrow. “Don’t get the wrong idea about us, not all the things that the Captain does we support. If you have a problem with anything you bring it to me first, then I’ll address the Captain.”

I nodded, thinking about the right words before asking my question “why is that a beast-men is working with the Liberators? Isn’t our job to free all the slaves?” Looking up at the sky Da’in responded, “freeing the slaves is just something we do to rally supporters.  Why my father decided to trust a beast-man I will never understand, but don’t get me wrong, we enjoy saving people, but our mission is to destroy the wall separating the desert from the rest of the continent.”

“Why would the beast-men create a wall separating the desert from the rest of the land?” I ask, turning towards me her expression was grim, “the beat-men didn’t erect the wall, the King did.”

“The King built a wall? That doesn’t make any sense.”

“I’m supposed to know the thinking’s of a King?” She retorts, “It was built before the disappearance of magic, I think the King is behind everything that’s gone wrong in Layfront, including the absence of magic. Although many people think The Dark King is the reason why it vanished.”

“Then what part do the beast-men play in all this?”

“The King sends a unit to the desert once a month, to collect new slaves from the beast-men. It’s the reason why so many people are abducted regardless of race, sex or age. If we can stop the king the beast-men will have no reason to attack the villages.”

“Then what about the witch and Wickum? How are they leading the beast-men?”

Looking at me seriously Da’in asks, “witch? What witch? If you’re talking about the man that was working with the beast-men he’s most likely dead.”

I saw it with my own eye’s, it was impossible to survive from that in the middle of the desert and yet, I still felt uneasy. The Witch had known something about me, and her presence had a slimy aura to it. Da’in’s story had helped me focus more towards my goal, if the King was truly issuing from slaves then going to him would be the quickest way to find Aurora. “It seems our goals are somewhat the same.”

Smirking slightly, her eyebrows raise slightly “didn’t I tell you to get a weapon? We leave early tomorrow no shops will be open for you to buy one. Perhaps you need Hooker to help you find a sufficient blade?”

Hooker simply stood with his arms folded shrugging his shoulder, “I don’t mind commander, I was going to have my blade sharpened anyway.”

“I didn’t know which weapon to choose,” I responded.

“Don’t worry Hooker is one of the finest warriors we have, he’ll be sure to help you pick a fine weapon.” Nodding in agreement Hooker pitched in, “You needn’t worry Finn I am a master of combat and will be sure your first weapon is one you can carry with pride.”

Hooker leading the way the two of us began our way back into town, Da’in grabbing my arm before whispering “We’ll deal with that beast-men eventually, don’t get yourself killed on the first day.” Her face was close, so close I could see the small freckles on her brown skin and couldn’t help but think she was definitely attractive. “Now hurry up before the stalls close, unless you want to do battle barehanded.”

Walking through the Village Hooker went on about the different swords and the uses and how to effectively pick a proper blade, “Your first weapon is important, it’s the foundation of your learning if not chosen correctly your fighting style will never be to its truest potential.”

“Just take a look at my dear Claudith,” unsheathing his sword he smiled with admiration his eye’s shining. The polished gentleman image I had of him shattering in my mind, he was obsessed with anything about weapons. “We won’t find a blade as remarkable and perfect as Claudith but we will surely find you an excellent blade.”

The shop owner was in the same spot, looking up briefly recognizing me and nodding us towards his wares. “Not even an introduction this time?” Entering the shop Hooker, talked with the owner about sharpening and polishing his blade. Allowing me to search through the endless piles of weapons, I had seen everything they had to offer before and didn’t want to waste my time looking through the same stuff. Until something caught my eye, it was in the back of the shop, behind the counter. A green hilted blade lay in the corner leaning against the wall.

Unlike most swords here it had a thin blade and was a single-handed weapon, the tip of the sword was sharp and void of any rust. With Hooker talking with the owner I slid behind the desk picking up the sword. “It’s light” I mummer swinging it back and forth. It felt right in my hand, stabbing through the air I looked at the price and had no clue how much it would cost, all I knew was I couldn’t afford it. “now how am I going to get this out of the shop.”



© 2017 ThyFilthyNoob


Author's Note

ThyFilthyNoob
Thanks for reading! feel free to leave a review on what you think of the story so far!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very interesting turn of events here. So, the Beast-man was working as a spy, it seems. I'm curious as to how that'll play out, especially with how furious Finn is at him. Finn's anger was very well portrayed, I could really see and feel it.
The wall? Hmm, very intriguing thing here. I'm curious about The King and The Dark King Mentioned here.
Again, good chapter. I look forward to the next.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very interesting turn of events here. So, the Beast-man was working as a spy, it seems. I'm curious as to how that'll play out, especially with how furious Finn is at him. Finn's anger was very well portrayed, I could really see and feel it.
The wall? Hmm, very intriguing thing here. I'm curious about The King and The Dark King Mentioned here.
Again, good chapter. I look forward to the next.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Added on August 24, 2017
Last Updated on August 24, 2017


Author

ThyFilthyNoob
ThyFilthyNoob

Cleveland, OH



About
Hi, I'm a new writer hoping to share my stories and gain some insight on what is needed to create compelling fictions. My hope is that it will one day be transformed from a book to a graphic novel and.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob