Chapter 17: Thoughts of Orie

Chapter 17: Thoughts of Orie

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob

It felt less awkward, was what Finn thought as he moved into the stance.  

It was their third day traveling and everything was going according to schedule, that's what Da'in had said earlier that day. Now everyone was asleep inside the wagon. He hadn't told them he hadn't slept in nearly a week. He would catch himself dozing throughout the day, which led to a scolding from Da'in. Yet if he kept his eye's closed too long the familiar panic of the mines would surface in his mind causing him to bolt upright flustered. 

The strain from the lack of sleep was starting to do its toll on him yet he continued to push it out of his mind, not having the time to stop or falter he continued on with the stances Hooker had taught him. Dusty and dirty he continued on until a familiar voice surfaced in his ear, "why are you still awake at this hour?" 

Turning around quickly, Orie stood his arms casually placed behind his back, they hadn't had a chance to continue their discussion a few days ago. More like he had avoided the topic altogether. He didn't want to hear an hour-long lecture about why he should worship a god he didn't believe in. 

"I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd practice, what are you doing up?" 

The unusual aura that Orie emitted seemed to dominate the area, stopping Finn from his training. 

"This is the third night in a row you've practiced this stance, perhaps something else is troubling your sleep." 

For an emotionless follower, he was sharp, Finn stuttered with what to say grasping for any reason that wasn't the truth. It was a reflex a natural reaction, to the statement and although he wasn't in the wrong he still felt the need to defend his actions. 

"M...my sleep? I'm fine, I just want to get the stances mastered so I can learn blade work." 

Orie didn't look convinced and walked over to Finn, his footsteps were slow yet he appeared in an instant. Presenting an almost otherworldly presence making it hard to believe he was only man. 

"Whatever trouble you're having, you can talk to me about it, the body cannot progress if the mind is stunted. Whatever power you're seeking cannot be obtained if you've lost your way, Finn, it's not a matter of which road is right, but what direction to walk." 

The man was speaking in riddles again, but Finn understood that he meant well. For that reason, he felt he could trust in telling Orie his problem, sitting outside the wagon Finn told his story. About the other world, about Leo and the other slaves about what had happened to them and about his mission of rescuing his only sibling. The more he talked the lighter he felt and the heavier his eyes became until nothing but darkness engulfed him. 

The tale Finn had told before going to sleep was indeed hard to listen to, even for a devotee like Orie who had to abandon his emotions when he proclaimed to be a follower of his Lord. Looking at the boy as he lay unmoving in the sands he could see the streaks of water trail down Finn's face. 

"Another nightmare perhaps." Orie murmured before placing his palm on Finn's forehead. 

A faint light glowed before the restless sleep ceased, a relaxed expression spreading over Finn's face as he descended deeper into slumber. 

Even if he wanted to help the otherworlder Orie knew he could not stray from his path, for his is only there to provide sideline assistance, interfering in the path of another would incur the wrath of his Lord.  

"Perhaps this is the trial master Shidaum spoke of."  

His master had spoken of any trials would test his faith in the Lord, if it was sensed that your will wavered your abilities would forever be lost. The reason he was traveling with the liberators was a test to test his faith in their Lord. 

"I will not waver, not for any man." 

Orie spoke allowed his proclamation, to himself and to his God. Having the boy rest easy was payment for telling him such a heart-wrenching story. Staying within the lines of gray. 

Lifting the boy out of the sand Orie places him in the wagon, Finn had been much lighter than he thought. His height not equaling the weight he should be carrying. The story Finn had told him surfaced in his mind once again shaking something inside of him, causing him to question himself.  

If I had been in such a predicament would I have survived? Even to survive such a thing if you were broken in mind body and spirit could you really call that survival? Many of the former slaves had come to the temple seeking help, some so far gone there was nothing Master Shidaum could do for them. 

How? Was the question that repeated in Orie's mind. How could one endure and continue on such a path? Unlike the path between good and evil, Finn walked an increasingly bloody path, filled with anguish and heartbreak.  

Bowing his head Orie began his prayer, to his lord that controlled karma from the sidelines. If such a boy had suffered through such hardships, then great fortune also showed in his future. How far in his future that was something he couldn't foretell, or how much more suffering he would have to endure before his luck would turn around. Perhaps his lord would allow him to assist such an unfortunate man, yet asking to do so would stray from his path. 

Ending the internal struggle that probed his heart Orie closed his eyes as he began his silent prayer, 

"Walking up towards the light," 

"One step in front of another." 

"To descend into the darkness" 

"For each sin committed" 

"I will remain undecided." 

"Lord Meme, I request your wisdom."  

Requesting for guidance wasn't something Orie had ever needed to do back in the temple, but now that he was adventuring away from his master and his comrades his first obstacle was troubling and didn't know where else to turn to for help. 

The familiar voice echoed through his mind deep powerful. 

"What ails you in your trails young devote?" 

Meme often spoke with those he has chosen to be his faithful followers, with only a handful who actually passed the trials successfully Master Shidaum included on this list 

"Lord of Balance, I request your knowledge about a man I am traveling with, he has suffered great misfortune and walks a path filled with despair and carnage." 

"Men must always suffer because of man, after enduring much suffering fortune is always on the horizon. Never suffering at all, despair lurks behind every corner until it consumes them whole. This is the wisdom I offer." 

Bowing his head in appreciation Orie spoke, "Thank you for your divine wisdom Lord." 

The voice faded before the familiar silence ensued the area. Looking over at Finn his sleeping face was peaceful. Something Orie hadn't seen on his face since the day he met him. It reminded him of a child who had cried themselves to sleep. In a low tone, he spoke to the sleeping Finn, 

"You have suffered much misfortune, sleep well and dream big. Your future treads down and an unknown path. Paved down a gold road riddled in blood." 



© 2017 ThyFilthyNoob


Author's Note

ThyFilthyNoob
Thanks again for reading :D Leave a comment and tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on August 30, 2017
Last Updated on August 30, 2017


Author

ThyFilthyNoob
ThyFilthyNoob

Cleveland, OH



About
Hi, I'm a new writer hoping to share my stories and gain some insight on what is needed to create compelling fictions. My hope is that it will one day be transformed from a book to a graphic novel and.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob