Chapter 19: Investigation

Chapter 19: Investigation

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob

The corridors were brimming with light as the candles flickered restlessly. The echo of a single man's footsteps resonating through the large building, slowly increasing speed until bursting into a full sprint. The walls blurring as he raced through the hallway until stopping in front the large main door, raising his hand he pushes the red door open entering the prince's chamber. 

"Prince Blake, we bring news from the border." 

The room was filled with the continents most valuable treasures, collect over the many years the royal family had ruled over the continent.  He sat atop the throne his crown glimmering with colorful jewels, followed by the scepter wielded in hand that many feared for it was one of the only sign of magic the people had seen since its disappearance. 

"Speak quickly! I haven't all day." 

"Yes milord, It seems that the weekly slave trade from Layfront desert has failed to come in." 

The slaves were already a day late, the dealers were vile and disgusting beast-men but they were usually prompt with making a delivery to the royal family. Any resistance would be met with a swift and unpleasant end by their militaries forces. 

The prince stood tall from his throne tracing the gold lace that trailed along his scepter, a bright gem illuminating at its tip. His blood red cloak dropped to the ground, trailing against the stone floor, eye's showing no rage, nor mercy his intentions often unreadable making anyone who had the misfortune to approach him tremble. 

"Send word for Captain Finch in the gatehouse, I demand his presence in the solar immediately," the Prince's voice resounded through the chamber as the messenger scurried out of the room leaving the doors ajar. 

My father will not be pleased by this, Blake thought to himself as he descended the steps heading towards the private quarters. Entering the room a small fire flickered in the fireplace sending a warm draft throughout the room. His father sat in front of the fire reading from one of the ancient books he was always so intrigued about, picking up his glass he pauses while looking up at his son. 

"What brings you here at this hour Blake? Do you not prefer the company of slaves?" He talked in a pompous tone as he finished his drink, gasping loudly as the liquid burned down his throat. 

"Now is not the time to fool around with slaves your majesty, a messenger has come with interesting news from Layfront desert." 

"From Layfront? We only have one relationship with that part of the continent! It's only good for producing slaves nothing more if it weren't for that single-use I would have the lands burned to ash." 

"That seems to be the problem, they haven't delivered this weeks shipment of slaves it's more than a day late." 

The king closes his book giving Blake his full attention, "We have heard no news from the Witch or her son?" 

"That I do not know, I have sent word for Finch he will give us the information we desire." 

As if the mention of his name was a summons a knock rattled on the wooden door as the Captain strode through the room, even in the dark of night he wore his shiny armor polished to perfection the symbol of the king's army branded proudly on his chest. Look at the prince with sharp eyes the captain salute briefly, "You have summoned me, your highness?" 

"Finch what news do you possess about the absence of slaves from Layfront? Why haven't you told us about such an important matter?" 

The man looked up his eye's piercing into the young prince at the accusing tone he displayed before turning to the king, "I was made aware of the news several hours ago King Jigoku, after verifying the absence of slaves from the merchants I sent a messenger to notify his Highness immediately." 

"Come have a seat captain, pour yourself a drink, ignore the naivety of my son." 

Raising his head the Captain sat in the chair opposite the king leaving the prince standing, with a smirk the Captain pours himself a drink with a before gulping it down quickly. "There's no need to apologize, your majesty, perhaps Prince Blake needs more experience in the world to learn its ways." 

"Yes, yes perhaps you are right," Jigoku replies through hearty laughter. A grin plastered on the captains face as Blake's face turns red. 

"As for the merchants your highness, they have informed me that the beast-men from Layfront desert failed to arrive at the exchange at the appointed time, they also failed to send any message as to why they haven't sent the slaves. I was planning to send a scouting unit to Row's Peak at day break, it will take about a week." 

"Be sure to examine the border and make sure it is being properly maintained, we don't need any of the filth from Layfront leaking into the rest of the continent." 

Nodding his head in agreement the captain pours another glass before slurping it down, his eyes glued to the fire that flickered making the shadows dance on the walls. It was enticing making him remember the time before his time in the army when he was a child living on the streets of the capital.  

"Of course your majesty." Standing up he heads towards the door giving a final salute. "We will depart at first light." 

The prince sneered at his words as he left the room, his footsteps echoing off into the night. "Why do you put so much trust in such a man father? He is street filth!" 

The King sigh's, an old man's sigh, full of wisdom and exhaustion from the naivety of his son, "You speak beyond your years Blake, the more damaged a man the more power that man possesses. That man has suffered more than anyone I have met, it makes him a powerful ally and also a fearful enemy." 

Looking from the door to his son the king looks long and hard at his son, his golden hair falling into a small ponytail at his shoulder as his crowned glimmered. "Stay away from the captain, Blake, he is not an entirely stable man." 

The young prince nodded his head slowly, trying to process his father's strange words. He hated the Captain, he had arrived and rose through the ranks to captain in as little as 5 years. The countless stories of his feats in battle have made him almost legendary yet whenever he asked the men under his charge about such stories, they evaded his questioning. Being the prince that never happened yet the mere mention of the name Finch would make the men pale, some even trembled. 

"I understand father, but is it necessary to send the Captain to scout the deserts for mere slaves? We can simply purge the desert of all the filth that reside there." 

"That won't do Blake, the steady intake of slaves is our top priority at the moment."  

"What use do slaves possess besides to do our bidding and releases us from our physical desires father? We have more than enough slaves, there is no need to waste our time and men searching through the desert for filth." 

The king shakes his head in disapproval as he stands up from his chair striding over to his desk. Unshelving a book he flips through it continuously stopping on a particular page, blue eye's turning icy. 

"You are too young to understand young prince, what I am looking for is not a mere slave. It is the descendants of a single man that has disappeared with the passing time, the only ones with the power to resist against my ambition." 

The young prince looked puzzled as she stood next to his father looking down into the book. On the page, the very first page there stood a lone man shrouded in shadow void of all detail except his eyes that glowed a mysterious purple. The man stood in front a large tree void of leaves as the moon shined overhead. Looking at the words that showed beneath the picture he couldn't read the text. 

"What language is this book father? I haven't seen this story in the library or the castle's archives." 

The king remained silent as he stared at the picture his eyes unblinking before looking at his son, "It is of no concern to you, now out of my chamber. I have much reading to do."



© 2017 ThyFilthyNoob


Author's Note

ThyFilthyNoob
Thanks again for reading leave a comment or review and tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on September 7, 2017
Last Updated on September 7, 2017


Author

ThyFilthyNoob
ThyFilthyNoob

Cleveland, OH



About
Hi, I'm a new writer hoping to share my stories and gain some insight on what is needed to create compelling fictions. My hope is that it will one day be transformed from a book to a graphic novel and.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob