Chapter 16: Pushing the Limits

Chapter 16: Pushing the Limits

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob

“Don’t stop until I tell you to!” Da’in roared angrily, the wagon zipping through the sands as I sprinted beside it. Inviting Orie with us without telling her pissed her off, at our departure I wasn’t allowed in the wagon and had to run behind them. She said it was a form of training, but I had my doubts. Panting far behind my weakness was all too obvious, Hooker’s face was filled with pity as he watched from the wagon. The light sword strapped to my side got increasingly heavy, and as the minutes dragged into hours I felt my heart would implode if I continued any further.

Before our departure Ren and Celeste had said their goodbyes, Ren telling me to visit once I’ve found my sister. Although I doubt I would have the luxury of visiting again, Celeste had given me something she made at the blacksmith. It was her first creation, a dagger. It was clumsily made but I accepted it, all the same putting it in the small sack Da’in had given me. With that we left the comfort of the village, afterward, Da’in had begun her training by kicking me out of the wagon into the sand. Hooker had shown his disappointment in the sword I chose claiming it was far too thin and was only useful for stabbing and parries, and would be difficult to use for a beginner.

Orie sat in the wagon quietly reading a thick book he had brought along, only looking up if asked a question which only Hooker seemed to do. Da’in had ignored the helbreder still upset that he was with us only spurring on the harsh punishments she threw at me. Because the sun was always in the sky we didn’t need to stop to set up any camp and continued on through the sands it was a flat plain absent of any vegetation, only the occasional bird would fly overhead before disappearing into the distance.

“I need a rest, I can’t keep running like this I’m starting to cramp,” I complained, looking at me briefly she rolled her eyes before signaling Hooker to stop.

“We need to feed the horses anyway,” with that we stopped. Collapsing on my back as she dumped water on my face.

“How is this supposed to help me learn how to fight?”

Her face formed a scowl as she looked up and down my body, “Your body is pathetic, I can’t train such a weak and fragile body. You need to build your stamina and strength we should break a few bones, it might speed up the process.”

I chuckled before realizing she was serious, “that’s just a bad idea, it won’t make me any stronger besides It’ll interfere with my training.”

“We have a helbreder he can mend bones in a day or two, you said you wanted to get stronger, this is just one of the ways for that to happen.”

Looking at Hooker he shrugs, “We don’t have the luxury of time to wait around for his bones to heal, it may strengthen his body but his skills will still be poor.”

“I will not utilize my gift from Meme for such brutish ways.” Orie murmured from the wagon, he didn’t look up from the book he was reading and turned a page. “What he needs is healing of the mind body and spirit, not to be broken again. This training you’re doing will be of no use to the boy, if he’s to have true strength he needs to fight his demons and put his mind at ease, only then can he begin to pursue true strength.”

I stared at Orie as he continued on, looking over him he was of average build but his presence always gave off a strange aura and I wondered if it was because he could use magic that he felt so different. Looking up from his book our eyes met sending a shudder through my body. “Perhaps I should teach him the ways of Meme.”

Scoffing Da’in strides over to the carriage, “He doesn’t need any training from a helbreder, your just here to do your job that’s it, leave the training to me.”

“Hooker, teach him the ways of the blade before we depart I want him to know the basic stances of the sword.” With that she began feeding the horses, approaching blade in hand Hooker motioned for me to stand. My legs still burned from running and I struggle to stand. “Listen well Finn for we don’t have much time but these stances will be the basis of your skill, the more familiar you are with using the stances the more proficient your growth will be when it’s time to learn techniques.”

“Seeing as how you chose a saber, such a flimsy blade, you must master the basics of footwork and movement. When in a battle you are constantly maneuvering in and out of range, accelerating, decelerating, changing directions, blocks, parries, bluffs as well as the unknowns from others outside the battle. All of these skills must be done with minimum effort and maximum grace, which makes footwork the most important part of training.”

Bending his knees Hooker holds his wrist lightly in the air pointed towards me, “Do as I do,” nodding my head I imitate his stance feeling the awkwardness in my legs and arms. “From today onward you will walk, talk, eat do any and everything in this position until It’s as natural as breathing and until I see you have mastered moving in the basic footwork we will not be learning any blade work.” With that he left me to myself in the awkward position, holding the sword with only my wrist for support got heavy quickly and soon I was struggling to keep my arm lifted.

“Seems like you’re having trouble, perhaps I can be of assistance.” Walking over, Orie’s face remained buried in his book as he sat on the ground. “What exactly did you have in mind,” I mutter struggling to hold the blade, my knees beginning to throb.

“Light conversation,” he said lightly turning another page.

“You think talking going to make this easier?” I groan.

“You’d be surprised how simple things like talking to one another can change one’s perspective on a situation.”

“Ah, is this where you tell me to open up to your savior Meme and all my sins will be forgiven?”

“You assume that our Lord would forgive the sins of man? Lord Meme is the focus of equality in all things.”

Orie muttered in a low voice, he now sat cross-legged in the sand and briefly looked up from his book looking at Finn as he struggled to maintain his posture. His God Meme wasn’t a righteous God nor was he a devil, he symbolized equality in all things good, bad evil or good it didn’t matter. Some might call it the belief of karma but the teachings weren’t that simple.

Dropping his posture Finn plopped in the sand in exhaustion, frantically gasping for air. He didn’t spare Orie a look perhaps he was too tired or simply didn’t want to for the subjects of God was touchy for him.

“Is believing in this God Meme how you’re able to use magic?”

He said through his gasps, folding the page Orie closes his book before giving Finn his full attention.

“Magic? There’s a word I haven’t heard in a long time. Magic is not something Lord Meme grants, the gift he gives is only for the most devoted to his teachings, those willing to follow his path between good and evil and walk the straight line.”

The man was speaking in riddles making it hard for Finn to follow, but what he did understand was whatever ability he was able to use it wasn’t magic but something else. Unlike in his world, the gods played an active role in those who remain faithful giving gifts to them. God was something that was never proven in his world to exist, making it hard for him to simply accept the words Orie spoke.

“What can you do? These gifts you’ve been given by your lord, how does it work.”

Orie’s look was serious unlike his usual expressionlessness, “that is something I cannot teach, my path is to simply aid you on your journey while remaining a neutral party. The teachings of our abilities to outsiders is frowned upon by the temple and will be met with punishment, or exile.”

Clicking his tongue Finn swore under his breath, he had hoped he would learn whatever power the helbreder was able to use. Being unable, he felt that bringing the man along was a waste of his time and he had endured the ruthless punishments of Da’in for nothing.

“Of course, spreading the teachings f or Lord Meme is one of our many jobs perhaps listening to his tale you will come to understand the ways of our abilities, of course, unless they are granted to you, you’ll be unable to use them.”

Sighing in reluctance Finn sat up, hearing the story about some religion wasn’t something he believed would make him stronger. But perhaps Orie was right and it would help him understand how the abilities worked.

“Alright that’s enough slacking, we need to head out!”

Hooker yelled from the wagon, followed by a swift glare from Da’in.

“Another time perhaps, it seems we are leaving. Think about what I’ve said and if you wish to learn about the origin of our God I will be happy to share with you his history.”

With that he sat up and wandered back to the wagon, reopening his book as he sat.

“Seems like you’ve had a long enough break.”

Snapping her whip, the horses began sprinting off, leaving dust kicked up around the area. Finn could hear her yelling as the distance began to increase between them.

“Hurry up, we don’t have all day!”

Finn wanted to cry his body still exhausted from its overuse before he began running after the wagon again.



© 2017 ThyFilthyNoob


Author's Note

ThyFilthyNoob
Thanks for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on August 30, 2017
Last Updated on August 30, 2017


Author

ThyFilthyNoob
ThyFilthyNoob

Cleveland, OH



About
Hi, I'm a new writer hoping to share my stories and gain some insight on what is needed to create compelling fictions. My hope is that it will one day be transformed from a book to a graphic novel and.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob