Chapter 18 Awakening the Ancient Oak

Chapter 18 Awakening the Ancient Oak

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob

There was a tree, it stood tall the surroundings lush with flowers and a subtle breeze. Looking around Finn was confused, his last memory of traveling through the harsh desert causing him to look around for Da'in and the others, to no avail.  

"Where am I?" 

The thought of being captured occurred to him but unlike before, this place was peaceful and he felt at ease in the presence of the tree that was void of leaves. He found it peculiar since the surroundings showed so much life besides the lone tree that stood atop the hill, the smell of grass floating through the air.

Approaching the tree it looked familiar as if he had always known of its existence and as he stood underneath the large oak his chest burned. Looking down his pendant glowed a strange blue causing him to panic briefly. Thrashing around Finn removed the pendant staring at the strange glow. Looking closely he could see the symbol replicated the oak and to his surprise, a familiar man walked through the tree. His form ethereal as a warm smile lay plastered on his face. 

"It’s been a long time sonny, how have you been?" 

It was unbelievable, and Finn could only stare in disbelief as his mouth lay gaping at the sight of his grandfather.  

"Grandpop? Is that you?" 

Lightly chuckling the ethereal being materialized in front of him revealing his familiar gray hair and long beard, his clothes the same as Finn remembered all those years ago when he was just a boy. 

"What are you doing here? How are you alive?" 

Finn was ecstatic, his grandfather had died when he was nine in the other world, his world. Finn still remembered the sorrow he felt at the news of his death, he had cried for months.

"All that will be answered shortly, firstly put your emblem back on." 

Nodding slowly Finn obeyed his grandfather placing the burning pendant around his neck. He grimaced in pain but endured it.

"Good now follow me, we have much to discuss." 

Turning around his grandfather walked through the tree disappearing from sight, hesitantly Finn followed. Unsure how to "walk into" a tree. Placing his hand on the rough bark it began to sink through before he fell into the trunk. 

He stood on nothing, simply floating in a space, a void absent of ground and sky. His grandfather sitting mid-air watched Finn amusingly as he continued to wave his arms frantically trying to steady himself. 

"Are we floating in space? How can we breathe up here?" 

Finn asked before his grandfather chuckled again stroking his long beard. 

"No sonny, this is what our ancestors call The Root, we are within Root the beginning of everything." 

His answer only confused Finn further adding another question to the growing list he was making in his head. A dumbfound look formed on his face causing his grandfather to laugh even more. 

"Are you really my grandfather? Arkarian Alister?" Finn continued suspiciously, 

"Yes sonny, it's been a long time you've grown into a fine young man. I'm glad you still bear our family crest upon your body." 

Looking down at the pendant it had disappeared leaving a mark in its place, that of a tattoo. The chain simply dangling around his neck. 

"How did you bring me here?" Finn asked, 

"Your soul has come to its birthplace Finn, you being here is not due to my interference, but of your own craving for power. Now that your physical body is able to rest your spirit is now free to search for that power." 

The conversation was making Finn's head throb as he tried to put the pieces of his grandfather's words together. It was just as confusing as listening to Orie speak in riddles. 

"I'm not understanding you Grandpop, how are you alive? I thought you died years ago on Earth." 

"That is correct Finn, I did indeed pass away but my soul returned to Roots to guide the next generation of Alisters." 

"And what is Roots exactly?" Finn asks, finally balancing himself in the groundless void. 

"There are many answers for that Finn, but the most simple answer is the beginning of birth, the creating of life and death, time and space. All matter that exists in the limitless realms that span the many universes, for it is the creator of those very universes. Roots are the Origin of both magic and craft." 

"Craft? Is that some sort of magic?" 

Lightly chuckling Alister floated closer to his grandson, 

"If you are to understand craft Finn you must understand the difference it holds when compared to magic." 

"There"s a difference? They both allow you to do things you normally wouldn't be able to do right?" 

"This is true Finn, but listen well Craft is a blessing bestowed only by gods of this realm. There are many rules to its use and depending on the god and worship it can become very difficult to use such a gift. But magic is the manifestation of the worlds spirit, absorbing the very spirit of the world within your own body and emitting it externally, a cycle of giving and taking between man and earth." 

It was easy to understand and Finn nodded as his grandfather continued with the explanation 

"Which is stronger? Magic or Craft?" 

Pondering the thought briefly Alister continued. 

"They each have their demerits sonny but that's not of importance to us, for we are the creators of both magic and craft we possess the power of Origin." 

"The power of origin? How is it we have such a power? We aren't even from this world, how is it your soul is here?"  

Alister let out a deep breath while scratching his frizzy gray hair, 

"that is a long story sonny perhaps another time. Let us first begin with the soul pact."  

Reaching in his robes his grandfather reveals a pure white acorn. Finn stared at the tiny seed with disdain as it dropped into his hands. 

"What am I suppose to do with an acorn..." 

"Eat it, of course, beings of our bloodline we are the only ones able to use Origin but without the seed of origin we cannot awaken our abilities it provides you with a link between yourself and the ancestors of Origin." 

Examining the white acorn, Finn throws the seed into his mouth and swallows it with a heavy gulp. staring at his grandfather he waits for something to happen yet feels no changes. 

"Isn't something supposed to happen?" Finn asked curiously. 

"Origin is only a seed within you sonny, and like a seed, it must be nurtured consistently if it is to grow. As you gain power so will Origin and when it has begun to sprout we will meet again." 

The echo of voices rang throughout the endless void, "Finn....Finn wake up! It's time for your training get up!" 

Opening his eye's Finn's greeted by Hooker looking down at him, "Commander Da'in want's you up practicing your stances before we head out, put on your gear and let's start." 

Sitting up Finn felt strangely rested and stretches his arms and legs before he throws on the leather armor he's grown accustomed to wearing. The fatigue from the days before a memory as he attached the blade to his hip and exited the wagon.  

The sun didn't feel as hot, nor the armor as heavy and as Finn crouched into the familiar stance his body moving with ease.  

"Tresultsuls of a good night rest." Orie muttered from the wagon as he watched Finn, his moves much more fluid then than the day before. Looking over at Orie a smirk spread across Finn's face as he continued to dance, forming a circle in the sand. 

"Yeah a good nights rest."



© 2017 ThyFilthyNoob


Author's Note

ThyFilthyNoob
Thanks again for reading let me know how you're enjoying the story!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on August 30, 2017
Last Updated on August 30, 2017


Author

ThyFilthyNoob
ThyFilthyNoob

Cleveland, OH



About
Hi, I'm a new writer hoping to share my stories and gain some insight on what is needed to create compelling fictions. My hope is that it will one day be transformed from a book to a graphic novel and.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by ThyFilthyNoob