In Which Ross Huron Denies That He's Insane

In Which Ross Huron Denies That He's Insane

A Chapter by Trekkie

In Which Ross Huron Denies That He’s Insane
September 12th, (Seriously, I’m starting to think that all Ross ever does is sleep. I mean, he did organize a big huge rebellion or whatever, but what, did he do it between naps?) 2048. 3 : 4 6 A M(Mind you, the hour and time does not really matter, as neither Ross nor Ari have any idea what time it is. Just for your reference.)

“I’M NOT INSANE!” it is what Ross Huron
wakes up screaming.

“I never said you were,” replies Ari mildly from the stool beside his bed.

Ross’s face is streaked with sweat, his head aching horribly. The memories that he received last night are bouncing around somewhere at the edge of his consciusness. “Feeling better?”

“Why, wouldn’t I be feeling perfectly alright?” he snaps irratibly.

“Last night, you said something about memories –“

Ross cuts her off angrily. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“The memories?” she asks. “You said something about how the memories were too strong –“

“I never said anything like that. Shut up.” He’s angry now.

“But –“

“SHUT UP!”

And suddenly he’s crying again, but his face is turned away from her, his shoulders shaking. His shoulders are shaking, but when she places her hand on his shoulder, he jerks away quickly and screams “Don’t touch me!”

She backs away a few steps, her hands snapping away from his shoulder as though she’s burnt it. “I –“

“I said – don’t touch me!”

“Ross --?”

“Damn you!” Shoulders shaking, sweat and tears running down his face.

“Ross!”

“Shut up! You don’t deserve my true name! You’re just a bloody spawn of the Gods, and you’re going to do a report after I’m dissected, maybe on the different wavelengths of my brain – maybe that is what causes me to be so insane, whacked out – the word you’re searching for is abnormal, isn’t it?” He smiles viciously when he sees her shocked expression. “Don’t you remember? I can read your mind. I know your every thought.” The cruel expression on his face matches nothing that is associated with the words ‘Ross Huron’. “You used to have a cat named Oscar, his fur was green and black, but he was different from all the other cats so you went and put him to sleep. You never loved him! You never thought about maybe who he was. Maybe they did a genetic experiment on him after you were done with him. And you did not care, did you? You never loved him!” He’s just wildly making things up now, but it fuels his anger, and he lashes out at her. His fingernails catch the skin of her arm, and a tiny droplet of blood makes its way to the surface, staining his own already bloodstained palms.
Silence.

“I’m sorry – I’m sorry – I’m sorry –“ he’s whispering, looking down at his hands as though they belong to a different person. “I’m so sorry –“ he’s whispering. If he had the energy, he would get off the bed and run as far as he could, away from anyone, anywhere, but he does not and he can’t. “I’m sorry –“ He’s sobbing again, tears running down his face, running in the miniscule grooves of his face.

She does not move any closer to him, unsure of what he wants her to do.

“You’re afraid of me, aren’t you?” he whispers. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry…” But the words are empty, and his sobs are hollow and choked as he gasps them out. No…what have I become? What am I doing?

"Ross..." she whispers, her voice strained.

This time he does get up, and he runs towards the door, but it does not open at his touch, pain aching through his body at every step he takes. “No,” he gasps, the word dragged out of him like a scream. “NO!” The energy that this requires is too much, and he slumps back against the door, sinking to his knees. He does not have the energy to stand, and he does not protest as Ari drags him up, carrying him to the bed.

“Shh, shhh,” she whispers. “It’ll be alright.” Stroking his hair, whispering his name, and he does not resist her attempts to make him feel better. “it is gonna be alright,” she whispers. “It always is.” But they both know she’s lying. it is never alright, but his breathing is deep and even as he falls slowly back asleep.

But they can always, always hope --- maybe this time it will be alright.



© 2009 Trekkie


Author's Note

Trekkie
hehe....Ross is being... Ross. And he starts swearing in this chapter, too.

Eurgh.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on February 13, 2009


Author

Trekkie
Trekkie

About
I'm a convoluted trekkie who spends too much time procrastinating. I can see the Northern Lights from my house in the winter and I've memorized startlingly large portions of King Henry IV, part one. more..

Writing
No title No title

A Screenplay by Trekkie


Muet Muet

A Story by Trekkie